General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Training - Missed a long run. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-09 8:17 AM

Subject: Marathon Training - Missed a long run.
Hi All. I'm training for my first marathon and have been following the plan pretty religiously, which I'm half way through. Towards the end of last week I got a stomach bug. Lucky for me it was on my rest day. Yesterday I was scheduled for a 17mile rune, and knowing that I still wasn't feeling 100% I went anyway. I got 6.5miles in and shut down. Anyway, as a first time marathoner I'm kind of freaking out about missing, or not completing this run. A couple veterans I talked to said "no big deal." My questions is, should I just chalk it up and move on? try to get another 17 miler in, or make up the miles throughout the week?

2015-03-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: CzechYourHead

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Marathon Training - Missed a long run.
As long as it isn't your only long run leading up to the marathon (and if you are halfway through I'm guessing it isn't), you should be fine, I would move on. No one likes to miss a key workout but it happens sometimes. I wouldn't see it having any impact on your performance come race time. Good luck and congratulations on your undertaking!
2015-03-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No biggie. Just get in the long run next week when you're fully recovered from the bug. If you're increasing long run distance step by step, and 17 miles was a step, don't go further next time. You have plenty of time and it's more important to stay healthy than follow a program to the letter.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-03-09 8:23 AM
2015-03-09 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by CzechYourHead Hi All. I'm training for my first marathon and have been following the plan pretty religiously, which I'm half way through. Towards the end of last week I got a stomach bug. Lucky for me it was on my rest day. Yesterday I was scheduled for a 17mile rune, and knowing that I still wasn't feeling 100% I went anyway. I got 6.5miles in and shut down. Anyway, as a first time marathoner I'm kind of freaking out about missing, or not completing this run. A couple veterans I talked to said "no big deal." My questions is, should I just chalk it up and move on? try to get another 17 miler in, or make up the miles throughout the week?

My policy is to not try to make up for a missed workout.  Just take the loss and move on, as trying to move a new workout in messes up the plan.  17 isn't going to be the longest run in your training.  In the grand scheme of things you missed out on 10.5 miles of running, which is nothing.

2015-03-09 10:22 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by CzechYourHead Hi All. I'm training for my first marathon and have been following the plan pretty religiously, which I'm half way through. Towards the end of last week I got a stomach bug. Lucky for me it was on my rest day. Yesterday I was scheduled for a 17mile rune, and knowing that I still wasn't feeling 100% I went anyway. I got 6.5miles in and shut down. Anyway, as a first time marathoner I'm kind of freaking out about missing, or not completing this run. A couple veterans I talked to said "no big deal." My questions is, should I just chalk it up and move on? try to get another 17 miler in, or make up the miles throughout the week?

Yeah, that.  Plus or minus one or 3 runs won't make or break the race of the average age grouper.  What your overall training looks like in the months leading up to the race is what matters most.

IMO, the long run is probably the single most over-rated thing in endurance sports.

2015-03-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Thanks to all for the replies. I have a pretty solid base prior to starting the plan, and still plenty of training time, so feeling better about this!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon Training - Missed a long run. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Marathon Training Long Run Question

Started by cornfed
Views: 1339 Posts: 15

2009-11-18 4:05 PM krisko

Long Run for Marathon Training - Daniels' 30% rule

Started by mbmoran2
Views: 1833 Posts: 10

2008-08-13 3:23 PM mbmoran2

Recomendations for missing my final long training run.

Started by Rencor
Views: 822 Posts: 3

2008-06-30 12:42 PM mikep

Marathon Training (Long Runs) Question.

Started by arieth81
Views: 988 Posts: 7

2007-03-27 9:37 AM arieth81

Marathon training question: replacing a long run with an oly distance tri

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 1075 Posts: 7

2006-04-27 7:53 AM BeCivil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.
date : November 9, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 3
Many times a missed workout leads to undue stress and frustration which can adversely affect athletic performance and day-to-day life. Here are some tips to deal with the inevitable missed workout.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.