General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-11 9:06 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
We need a group for this race. Who will be racing the second IM in Chattanooga? Did any of you race it the first time? Advice? Thoughts?

2015-03-15 6:14 AM
in reply to: jbcritch

User image

Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
I raced it the first time....I am doing Louisville this year so won't be in Chattanooga. My advice....squats & running repeats on hills. The back half of the run the second time around is brutal.
2015-03-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: NeverEnough

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Good advice - Hill repeats is the ticket on the bike and run. I live in Fl so hill repeats have been a huge limiter for me - I found Clermont (about an hour away) and now have hill repeats. A lot of folks who understand hills had PR's at this race (not me),however they used all their gas on the ride the thing is the first loop of the run "seems" OK. The very first few miles are flat and I started pumping it on. got into the negirborhood (nice folks) and the hills started. I attacked them the first loop and this killed me on the second loop. If you know hills and have trained on hills - gun it.
2015-05-11 2:50 PM

User image

I'm in! This will be my first full IM. Luckily we have lots of hills around here to train on!
2015-05-19 2:10 PM

Veteran
This will be #4 for me. I did chatt last year, broke my clavicle/surgery in May and was finally cleared to run/bike in July, so I had a short training block. This year I have a head start so to speak!

Its a great race, swim is easy, no contact the whole time (I kind of like a rough swim though).
The bike course is nice, some rollers and 1 longish climb on the back, its either up or down, theres not much flat.
The run has some hills, I train at sea level, flat as a pancake, so It can be done by flatlanders but its tough. The support on the hilly side is awesome so its takes some pain away!

The weather was pretty good last year, if its hot it could be a really tough run! I would anticipate a non wetsuit legal swim, the RD is saying about 50% less flow than last year. I swam 55 min and 1:12 at Florida, so you can see how fast the current was.
2015-06-03 12:36 PM

In, will be #7. Being promoted to the 50-54 age group this year. No fast but fairly steady. Training out of central Illinois and can find nice hill repeats on the bluffs. Looking forward to a great day and if everything willing, plan on showing up prepared to go anything in the 12's but will take what the day allows.

2015-06-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Regular
But is the RD in charge of the flow? I would think he'd have no control over that.

Is it the same 116 mile bike course as last year? Just curious. I'm doing IMLou this year but planning on Chattanooga in 2016.
2015-06-09 9:34 AM
in reply to: mbwallis

Veteran
Originally posted by mbwallis

But is the RD in charge of the flow? I would think he'd have no control over that.

Is it the same 116 mile bike course as last year? Just curious. I'm doing IMLou this year but planning on Chattanooga in 2016.

The RD said he has the agreement for them to control the flow for race morning, if there's lots of rain then they will have to open it more though.
The RD also said they are keeping the bike course the same, the only change will be to the run course, reversing the direction of the first half, the Amacola highway/riverwalk part.

I haven't done Lou yet but a friend that did Chatt with me last year has, he described Lou as having a little harder bike course but a much easier run than Chatt.
2015-06-17 1:33 PM
in reply to: Rover24

I love all the comments here and elsewhere about "The RD" having zero control over the flow of the river. Since when did TVA become some crazy agency that was unwilling to work with outside organizations on the flow of their river? IM is one of a dozen or so events in downtown Chattanooga alone that works with the TVA to control the flow when feasible. Head of the Hooch, Chattajack, River Rats Swim, Open Water Swim Champs,etc. The TVA has been a great partner for us and we expect that to continue. If mother nature cooperates, we should see a greatly reduce flow compared to last year. Be safe training, see you in a few months.

Brian "Some WTC Guy"
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga : Official Thread

Started by Rogillio
Views: 2489 Posts: 4

2015-05-11 6:11 AM pschriver

Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by Jseminary
Views: 57453 Posts: 605

2014-11-07 6:40 PM Duanerice

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30582 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61075 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173118 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: