General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-03-26 11:26 AM

User image

Subject: Swimming Times
I'm training for my 2nd Olympic Tri and have been focusing more on swimming as it's my weakest of the 3 disciplines. I'm trying to figure out what an "elite" swimming time per 100 yrds is vs above average, average, etc. Over 2,000 yards according to my Garmin I average around 1:55/100 yards. Am I a terribly slow swimmer??

2015-03-26 11:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Swimming Times

You can take a look at past race results to see the range of swim times and give you a general idea.  You do have to take race times with a grain of salt though as race distances are rarely accurate and water conditions can have an impact also.

You are probably towards the back of the middle of the pack.  Still ahead of quite a few people but room for improvement.  What type of workouts do you do?  Have you ever had lessons?  A few good lessons can make a huge difference.

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-26 11:44 AM
2015-03-26 11:55 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'm training for my 2nd Olympic Tri and have been focusing more on swimming as it's my weakest of the 3 disciplines. I'm trying to figure out what an "elite" swimming time per 100 yrds is vs above average, average, etc. Over 2,000 yards according to my Garmin I average around 1:55/100 yards. Am I a terribly slow swimmer??

Assuming you are talking about triathlete swim paces as they are considerably slower than swimmers swim paces.

To put it into perspective, Jan Frodeno and Andy Potts were first out of the water at Kona last year in 50:56 - that works out to roughly 1:12/100 yards over 2.4 mies.  Elite triathletes at a Sprint (in yards because that is what you asked) will generally be <1:05/100, at an Olympic <1:10/100.  In general, age-group front of the pack would be around 1:30/100 yards, middle of the pack around 2:00/100 yards..  Those are all rough estimates and are going to vary from race to race depending upon who shows up and how close to accurate the swim distance is.

Edited by k9car363 2015-03-26 11:57 AM
2015-03-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Thanks, this is helpful. I haven't had any lessons yet but it's on my to do list. I've watched a lot of youtube video's and read a lot online about technique and form but I think until I have a lesson I won't see any major improvements. Now that I realize how much faster I have to go before I'm the first one out of the water I better get on it!
2015-03-26 12:33 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Another thing you might think about if the lessons get pushed out is to have someone video your swim.  Above and below the water if you can.  I found it to be the most helpful feedback because things I thought in my mind I was doing right according to the youtube videos and other self help instruction I really wasn't.  Lessons with video analysis was a real eye opener for me and tranformed some things pretty rapidly for me.

2015-03-26 1:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by popsracer

Another thing you might think about if the lessons get pushed out is to have someone video your swim.  Above and below the water if you can.  I found it to be the most helpful feedback because things I thought in my mind I was doing right according to the youtube videos and other self help instruction I really wasn't.  Lessons with video analysis was a real eye opener for me and tranformed some things pretty rapidly for me.

^^^ this x2.

More often than not, there is a VAST difference between what you THINK you are doing and what you ACTUALLY are doing.  Seeing a video of yourself swimming will often lead to an epiphany and ultimately help you to swim better.

2015-03-26 1:23 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'm training for my 2nd Olympic Tri and have been focusing more on swimming as it's my weakest of the 3 disciplines. I'm trying to figure out what an "elite" swimming time per 100 yrds is vs above average, average, etc. Over 2,000 yards according to my Garmin I average around 1:55/100 yards. Am I a terribly slow swimmer??

Assuming you are talking about triathlete swim paces as they are considerably slower than swimmers swim paces.

To put it into perspective, Jan Frodeno and Andy Potts were first out of the water at Kona last year in 50:56 - that works out to roughly 1:12/100 yards over 2.4 mies.  Elite triathletes at a Sprint (in yards because that is what you asked) will generally be <1:05/100, at an Olympic <1:10/100.  In general, age-group front of the pack would be around 1:30/100 yards, middle of the pack around 2:00/100 yards..  Those are all rough estimates and are going to vary from race to race depending upon who shows up and how close to accurate the swim distance is.

This falls in line with what I see. Here's the thing though, as noted, pool time and OWS time are very very different. I was personally surprised by how much. You've got water conditions, currents, distances are all over the place, and what slows me down the most; slogging in and out of the water, sometimes you have to wade 100 or more yards because it's too shallow to swim, all this slows you down.

As an example, I average right at 1:30/100m in the pool, so about 1:23/100yd for a 3,000 meter swim set. That includes warm ups and cool downs. If I'm doing 100 repeats I can hold 1:18/100m (~1:10/100yd) without much issue for anywhere up and beyond 10. Now, at my last sprint triathlon, according to my watch, I swam 1:28/100yd, so for such a short distance, this was significantly slower than in the pool. That being said, I was 3rd place out of the water out of around 150.
2015-03-26 1:31 PM

User image

Pro

Yes, pool times are much different.  You asked about Elite times so I can tell you that to be in the front pack at a Jr. Elite race (16-19 year olds) you need a sub :50 100, a 1:45-1:50 200, a 4:45-4:55 500, and a sub 17 minute mile (1650 yards)......minimum.  All short course yards. (25 yard pool).  Those times will hold up pretty well at the base pro level (continental cups), and you would need to be a bit faster as you move up the Elite levels.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-26 1:33 PM
2015-03-26 1:45 PM

User image

^^^ this x2.

More often than not, there is a VAST difference between what you THINK you are doing and what you ACTUALLY are doing.  Seeing a video of yourself swimming will often lead to an epiphany and ultimately help you to swim better.

Do regular coaches videotape you? I can see that this would be extremely helpful but I don't know where to start when it comes to finding someone to do that for me. I was planning on going to a Master's swim training to see what that was all about.
2015-03-26 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by TXTriRook

^^^ this x2.

Do regular coaches videotape you? I can see that this would be extremely helpful but I don't know where to start when it comes to finding someone to do that for me. I was planning on going to a Master's swim training to see what that was all about.

Its becoming more common for video to be part of instruction.  The person I used had an ipad and was showing me stuff throughout the session.  Ask around.  Shouldn't be too hard to find what you are looking for.  And Masters would be a good idea.

2015-03-26 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Elite triathletes swim under 1:10/100 metres at WTS or World Cup races.

1:55 / 100 puts you with 9 & 10 year olds.

2015-03-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yes, pool times are much different.  You asked about Elite times so I can tell you that to be in the front pack at a Jr. Elite race (16-19 year olds) you need a sub :50 100, a 1:45-1:50 200, a 4:45-4:55 500, and a sub 17 minute mile (1650 yards)......minimum.  All short course yards. (25 yard pool).  Those times will hold up pretty well at the base pro level (continental cups), and you would need to be a bit faster as you move up the Elite levels.

Way to make us all feel inadequate LB.

2015-03-26 4:44 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

No kidding! A simple "average" / "slightly below average" would have done just fine.
2015-03-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by ziggie204

Way to make us all feel inadequate LB.

I guess this is what we get for not doing flip turns.

2015-03-26 4:56 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by TXTriRookNo kidding! A simple "average" / "slightly below average" would have done just fine.
LOL..... you asked. I attend alot of elite races in the US....it boggles my mind how fast it is. They are not like us.
2015-03-26 5:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by TXTriRookNo kidding! A simple "average" / "slightly below average" would have done just fine.
LOL..... you asked. I attend alot of elite races in the US....it boggles my mind how fast it is. They are not like us.

I hear you.  The middle school age kids practice at the same pool during my son's swim lessons.  I think just watching them makes me a better swimmer.  Awesome indeed.

2015-03-26 5:30 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
This comes up time and again on here. If you compare yourself to the fastest of the fast...yeah, most of us are going to look pretty slow. Heck, everyone on this board will look pitifully slow compared to the elite of any field. If you want to get an idea of where you stand, check out the Masters motivational times. Or, you could just compare yourself to the Olympic trials and quit...but so would all of us. Heck, even the elites in triathlon would look sad compared to the elite swimmers. I don't know your age, but say you're 33... if you're averaging 1:55/100yd for an entire session, we'll just guess you can go all out and swim a 1:40, that would not quite put you on this scale, but gives you an idea, of where mortals of different ages fit.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=...

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (69KB - 0 downloads)
2015-03-26 6:07 PM
in reply to: #5103717

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Whoa those times are surprising. 25 min mile should mean you can do a 1:07 100yd? I can do the first, really dont think i can do the latter.
2015-03-26 6:12 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar This comes up time and again on here. If you compare yourself to the fastest of the fast...yeah, most of us are going to look pretty slow. Heck, everyone on this board will look pitifully slow compared to the elite of any field. If you want to get an idea of where you stand, check out the Masters motivational times. Or, you could just compare yourself to the Olympic trials and quit...but so would all of us. Heck, even the elites in triathlon would look sad compared to the elite swimmers. I don't know your age, but say you're 33... if you're averaging 1:55/100yd for an entire session, we'll just guess you can go all out and swim a 1:40, that would not quite put you on this scale, but gives you an idea, of where mortals of different ages fit. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sour...

It's crazy how fast the times fall off.  In a lot of sports you are in your athletic prime at 30 years old........but just looking at the AAAA masters time in the 500....that would barely be an A time for 15-16 year old boys.  That's astonishing to me.

2015-03-26 6:29 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar This comes up time and again on here. If you compare yourself to the fastest of the fast...yeah, most of us are going to look pretty slow. Heck, everyone on this board will look pitifully slow compared to the elite of any field. If you want to get an idea of where you stand, check out the Masters motivational times. Or, you could just compare yourself to the Olympic trials and quit...but so would all of us. Heck, even the elites in triathlon would look sad compared to the elite swimmers. I don't know your age, but say you're 33... if you're averaging 1:55/100yd for an entire session, we'll just guess you can go all out and swim a 1:40, that would not quite put you on this scale, but gives you an idea, of where mortals of different ages fit. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=...

It's crazy how fast the times fall off.  In a lot of sports you are in your athletic prime at 30 years old........but just looking at the AAAA masters time in the 500....that would barely be an A time for 15-16 year old boys.  That's astonishing to me.

You know, I thought about that myself. You certainly wouldn't see that in running I would think. My guess is that swimming isn't something that's really kept up with after high school or college. For me, I'm just about at the speed I was in high school and I was an A then and now all of a sudden a AAAA or something. I'd still say that athletically I'm around the same though compared to my peers. So I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.
2015-03-26 6:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by 3mar This comes up time and again on here. If you compare yourself to the fastest of the fast...yeah, most of us are going to look pretty slow. Heck, everyone on this board will look pitifully slow compared to the elite of any field. If you want to get an idea of where you stand, check out the Masters motivational times. Or, you could just compare yourself to the Olympic trials and quit...but so would all of us. Heck, even the elites in triathlon would look sad compared to the elite swimmers. I don't know your age, but say you're 33... if you're averaging 1:55/100yd for an entire session, we'll just guess you can go all out and swim a 1:40, that would not quite put you on this scale, but gives you an idea, of where mortals of different ages fit. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sour...

You know, I thought about that myself. You certainly wouldn't see that in running I would think. My guess is that swimming isn't something that's really kept up with after high school or college. For me, I'm just about at the speed I was in high school and I was an A then and now all of a sudden a AAAA or something. I'd still say that athletically I'm around the same though compared to my peers. So I think you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Here's the deal with triathlon from where I sit.  When I did my first triathlon in 1985 there were NO kids involved.  The standard "knowledge" was that it was too much for them.  Now, swim kids have found triathlon, and they may change the landscape.  It used to be that "you couldn't win a triathlon with the swim"...now it's "you can't win a triathlon without a good swim".  That's a big change.

I help find kids who may be interested in triathlon for a High Performance team.  I start by going over the state XC meets in our region.  I look for kids who can run sub 17 for boys and sub 20 for girls for 5K.  I then search the USA swimming database for some of the same kids.....who can already swim  a 5:00 - 5:30 500 for boys and 6:00 - 6:30 for girls.  When they find out the only thing they need to add is a bike ride......they're in......and they will win the overall at most any local sprint race.  It's pretty cool to see.  They might not be able to compete in the state XC meet or make the national meet in swimming, but they can kick some serious arse in triathlon.  In one of our biggest are triathlons 2 years ago a 14 year old won the overall and a 13 year old was 2nd overall in the sprint.  A 15 year old was 2nd overall in the Oly race.  Times have changed!

We are seeing the first generation of kids who were raised on triathlon like we were on baseball, football, or soccer......and they are monsters.  It's the best part of the sport IMO.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-26 6:47 PM

2015-03-26 6:53 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar This comes up time and again on here. If you compare yourself to the fastest of the fast...yeah, most of us are going to look pretty slow. Heck, everyone on this board will look pitifully slow compared to the elite of any field. If you want to get an idea of where you stand, check out the Masters motivational times. Or, you could just compare yourself to the Olympic trials and quit...but so would all of us. Heck, even the elites in triathlon would look sad compared to the elite swimmers. I don't know your age, but say you're 33... if you're averaging 1:55/100yd for an entire session, we'll just guess you can go all out and swim a 1:40, that would not quite put you on this scale, but gives you an idea, of where mortals of different ages fit. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=...

Here's the deal with triathlon from where I sit.  When I did my first triathlon in 1985 there were NO kids involved.  The standard "knowledge" was that it was too much for them.  Now, swim kids have found triathlon, and they may change the landscape.  It used to be that "you couldn't win a triathlon with the swim"...now it's "you can't win a triathlon without a good swim".  That's a big change.

I help find kids who may be interested in triathlon for a High Performance team.  I start by going over the state XC meets in our region.  I look for kids who can run sub 17 for boys and sub 20 for girls for 5K.  I then search the USA swimming database for some of the same kids.....who can already swim  a 5:00 - 5:30 500 for boys and 6:00 - 6:30 for girls.  When they find out the only thing they need to add is a bike ride......they're in......and they will win the overall at most any local sprint race.  It's pretty cool to see.  They might not be able to compete in the state XC meet or make the national meet in swimming, but they can kick some serious arse in triathlon.

We are seeing the first generation of kids who were raised on triathlon like we were on baseball, football, or soccer......and they are monsters.  It's the best part of the sport IMO.

Well, although not outstanding in either sport, the fact that they can hit both numbers in two sports actually is. That is what drew me to this sport (as an age grouper anyway), I'm kinda good at running and kinda good at swimming, but being able to do both kinda good opens doors in triathlon if you can get the bike going. I'm still working on that third piece.
2015-03-26 7:02 PM

User image

Pro

I help find kids who may be interested in triathlon for a High Performance team.  I start by going over the state XC meets in our region.  I look for kids who can run sub 17 for boys and sub 20 for girls for 5K.  I then search the USA swimming database for some of the same kids.....who can already swim  a 5:00 - 5:30 500 for boys and 6:00 - 6:30 for girls.  When they find out the only thing they need to add is a bike ride......they're in......and they will win the overall at most any local sprint race.  It's pretty cool to see.  They might not be able to compete in the state XC meet or make the national meet in swimming, but they can kick some serious arse in triathlon.

Well, although not outstanding in either sport, the fact that they can hit both numbers in two sports actually is. That is what drew me to this sport (as an age grouper anyway), I'm kinda good at running and kinda good at swimming, but being able to do both kinda good opens doors in triathlon if you can get the bike going. I'm still working on that third piece.

Since you brought it up.....I'm curious as to what you mean, as an age grouper, when you say that being good "opens doors".  If you are talking about being competitive in your AG, then fine. Past that, what do you perceive is out there for you? The problem I have with the sport right now, and the part I'd like to see worked on, is that winning triathlons for teenagers, and they win A LOT,  really doesn't open any doors.  There will be a very few girls who go to college in the next few years for triathlon, but for boys they basically have to give the sport up to run track and XC or swim in college.  I think that's where we lag behind other countries on the international stage......we have no development of really fast triathletes in the 18-22 year old range.....and that's a shame.

2015-03-26 7:11 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Since you brought it up.....I'm curious as to what you mean, as an age grouper, when you say that being good "opens doors".  If you are talking about being competitive in your AG, then fine. Past that, what do you perceive is out there for you? The problem I have with the sport right now, and the part I'd like to see worked on, is that winning triathlons for teenagers, and they win A LOT,  really doesn't open any doors.  There will be a very few girls who go to college in the next few years for triathlon, but for boys they basically have to give the sport up to run track and XC or swim in college.  I think that's where we lag behind other countries on the international stage......we have no development of really fast triathletes in the 18-22 year old range.....and that's a shame.

Well, that's a very personal thing is suppose. In this sport my goal, quite frankly, is to go to Kona. Since my first IM is exactly one year to the day of my first triathlon period, I'd just love to hit that mark, although at this point I'm seeing that that might be out of reach....doesn't mean I can't try. As far as opening doors to a career, I guess that's not what I meant.

Edited by 3mar 2015-03-26 7:12 PM
2015-03-26 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

flip turns will open the doors to what you seek

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Times Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Pool swim time vs OWS time

Started by cornick
Views: 1846 Posts: 16

2013-02-07 11:34 AM Boost Swimming

Swim timing end, transition T1 time start

Started by Pete1234
Views: 1897 Posts: 11

2011-05-03 10:42 PM Pete1234

Swim Workout Frequency and Swim Times

Started by Ershk
Views: 909 Posts: 3

2009-06-16 10:37 AM famelec

Open Swim vs. Pool Swim times

Started by rperissi
Views: 964 Posts: 7

2007-03-23 4:38 PM Ridgelake

Swim time---Actual vs. Training Time

Started by Rencor
Views: 1074 Posts: 12

2006-06-29 6:12 PM Momida
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : October 2, 2008
Discussions on open water swim drifting off course, no improvement, weight training for swimming and how much time to devote to drills.
date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
The only worry I had going into it was the swim...I couldn't touch the bottom and there weren't any lines to follow.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Whizzzzz
I was a wreck all week...worried about staying on the bike, as I have a tendency to fall off of it under ideal weather circumstances!

date : August 28, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
What training program is best for you given your background? Is it a Sprint, Olympic or an Ironman Program?