General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century in the Books and s$:& just got real Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-12 5:52 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: First Century in the Books and s$:& just got real
I'm happy to say that I completed my first 100-miler yesterday! That distance seemed like a myth to me 10 months ago when I started riding and 20 miles was a lot. Even with the heat and humidity and a nagging wind I managed to finish in under 5 hours....barely, like 4:59 and change. Although this should really help my confidence going into my first IM, I'm honestly a little deflated because that was freakin tough. Like really really hard and the reality of IM sort of set in. I'm kind of freaking out but trying not to over think it. I feel like, at five weeks out, that shouldn't have been as hard on me. The two mile run off the bike *felt* like a marathon and I can't get it out of my head that there *will* be a marathon...and a swim...and 12 more miles on the bike. So how do you cope with pre race freak outs?

2015-04-12 7:32 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First Century in the Books and s$:& just got real
Originally posted by 3mar

I'm happy to say that I completed my first 100-miler yesterday! That distance seemed like a myth to me 10 months ago when I started riding and 20 miles was a lot. Even with the heat and humidity and a nagging wind I managed to finish in under 5 hours....barely, like 4:59 and change. Although this should really help my confidence going into my first IM, I'm honestly a little deflated because that was freakin tough. Like really really hard and the reality of IM sort of set in. I'm kind of freaking out but trying not to over think it. I feel like, at five weeks out, that shouldn't have been as hard on me. The two mile run off the bike *felt* like a marathon and I can't get it out of my head that there *will* be a marathon...and a swim...and 12 more miles on the bike. So how do you cope with pre race freak outs?

Remember that a little easier pace will go a long long way.

Did you get any HR or other pacing data ?

2015-04-12 7:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

The HR data is actually what is leading to some anxiety. I was averaging below 120 for the first 40 miles. I don't know how I can start much easier. I maintained a very steady pace, but it just got exponentially harder after that. That's about when the last of the shade went away and sun started blaring. I'm thinking (hoping) that it was just dehydration. I drank 6 x 24 oz bottles of fluid (2 Gatorades and 4 waters) and never once had to stop to pee (which was actually a contributor to making it under 5 hours). I felt fine fuel wise and never felt like I was going to bonk, but I was really thirsty towards the end. It was hot (86 degrees with 75% humidity), which I'd love to use as an excuse to calm myself down, but IM Texas can easily be that hot or hotter.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (95KB - 5 downloads)
2015-04-12 7:53 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Here's the pace data

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (96KB - 6 downloads)
2015-04-12 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

is this your only 100 mile ride before the ironman?

2015-04-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

I'm still five weeks out so I'm still building. This was the first long ride I've struggled on.

2015-04-12 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm still five weeks out so I'm still building. This was the first long ride I've struggled on.

4 weeks out would be your last long ride, and not your longest.   Was that your longest ride?

2015-04-12 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado

This. What would happen if you took an extra 60 minutes on the bike? Consider these two outcomes:
5 hr bike +5.5 to 6 hour Run= 10.5-11 hours
6 hr bike + 4 to 4.5 hour Run= 10-10.5 hours

Congrats on your century ride. If I did a 4:59 for 100 miles, I would feel very confident about the IM! The key here is pacing. If the two mile run felt like a marathon, then that's a good indication that your riding at too high of a pace for IM. Try one of your upcoming longer rides at a deliberately slower pace and then compare your run off of the bike. See how that feels.
2015-04-12 8:41 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

4 weeks out would be your last long ride, and not your longest.   Was that your longest ride?

This has been my longest. I did 93 the week before at a slightly faster pace (closer to 21) so time wise it was almost 1/2 hour shorter.
2015-04-12 8:53 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by tedjohn

This. What would happen if you took an extra 60 minutes on the bike? Consider these two outcomes:
5 hr bike +5.5 to 6 hour Run= 10.5-11 hours
6 hr bike + 4 to 4.5 hour Run= 10-10.5 hours

Congrats on your century ride. If I did a 4:59 for 100 miles, I would feel very confident about the IM! The key here is pacing. If the two mile run felt like a marathon, then that's a good indication that your riding at too high of a pace for IM. Try one of your upcoming longer rides at a deliberately slower pace and then compare your run off of the bike. See how that feels.

That's a good point on the time. I did start out at a very deliberately slow pace, but to maintain it got increasingly hard to the point of feeling really fatigued at the end. I guess I have to be able to let go of the pace.
2015-04-12 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

This has been my longest. I did 93 the week before at a slightly faster pace (closer to 21) so time wise it was almost 1/2 hour shorter.

you went further and longer, makes sense that it would be harder. IM is not easy.  You aren't going to feel "good" coming off of the bike.  But, if you hit your power numbers and nutrition you will be able to run.

I did a 125 mile ride 6 weeks out, made the IM ride manageable.

2015-04-12 9:40 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
IM is not easy. 

Yeah....that's starting to set in.
2015-04-12 10:46 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Dude, averaging 20 mph for 100 miles is awesome. You're going to kick butt

2015-04-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Looks like you were pacing by mph rather than RPE or HR ?
Was there any wind at all ?

Edited by marcag 2015-04-12 11:39 AM
2015-04-12 12:24 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by trijamie

Thanks man.
2015-04-12 12:26 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

I got into a bit of a trap with the pace. I took it really easy at first and did everything I thought was right, but it just kept getting harder and harder to maintain pace (I realize that pace is not a good thing to look at on the bike, but once I got to the halfway point feeling good at over 20 mph, I really wanted to maintain it).

It was a little windy (10-15 mph) but not bad for down here and it was mostly a cross wind. The heat and humidity are what did me in I think. If I went with HR, I would have just kept getting slower and slower and slower...which would have been hard on me mentally.

2015-04-12 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by trijamie

Thanks man.

20 MPH average for 100 is some strong riding! 

BUT ... you have 26.2 to run after that 112 bike.  As was said earlier, a slower pace on the bike goes a long way. In fact it's going to be the difference between a strong run (meaning you ran most or all of it at goal pace) or a crappy run / walk sufferfest.  The IM run course is full of people run/walking because they overcooked the bike.  Never fails. Everyone will tell you the key to a strong run is appropriate pacing on the bike.

The first 2 run miles are always tough, but there's a big difference between "my legs aren't in running mode yet, but they're getting there" and "omg, I don't know how I'll ever be able to run 24 more miles!.

Take that bike down to say 18, and you'll have a much better run.  If you get to mile 8 on the run feeling strong, crank it up a notch. Take 10-15 seconds off each mile. Do it again at 16, then again at 20.

2015-04-12 1:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

I got into a bit of a trap with the pace. I took it really easy at first and did everything I thought was right, but it just kept getting harder and harder to maintain pace (I realize that pace is not a good thing to look at on the bike, but once I got to the halfway point feeling good at over 20 mph, I really wanted to maintain it).

It was a little windy (10-15 mph) but not bad for down here and it was mostly a cross wind. The heat and humidity are what did me in I think. If I went with HR, I would have just kept getting slower and slower and slower...which would have been hard on me mentally.

My belief is that HR creep is too much, way too much. I strongly suggest you completely stay away from looking at your MPH.

You can do the math, but even a 5mph cross wind, just a little south west rather than straight west (if you are going north) makes a big difference in watts to maintain a speed.

You were certainly putting more watts on the 2nd half. HR creep will occur, but that much, you did not pace it properly

Yes, dehydration may be part of it, but you are not going to drink that much more in Texas. You were at 28 oz per hour

Take MPH off your garmin :-)

Edited by marcag 2015-04-12 1:30 PM
2015-04-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Were you tapered and rested for the ride? If not then it's a mistake to think that's how you'll feel on race day. A few weeks rest will work wonders.

I'm too cheap for a power meter, so I pace IM rides on HR. I set my garmin to display time and HR, because if I display speed or pace, I end up increasing my level of effort to chase some arbitrary speed which doesn't account for heat, wind, or any of the other variables that impact bike speed. Instead, I've got a target range, and I do my best to stay within my range. It feels like a pretty easy ride for the first 4-hours, as most of my training rides are at a much higher HR. But, I usually feel pretty fresh for the last two hours on the bike. A lot of people who don't understand how to pace will pass you in the first 40-miles of the race, and you'll see them at around mile 100 just dragging, and that's before they even put on their running shoes.

The most common race report you see, especially from first timers, has a few common themes. 1. They rode strong, but started to have stomach issues on the second half of the ride, which "never" happened to them in training. 2. Their stomach shut down on the run. 3.Their "run" turned into a death march....but they hung in there and finished. Post-race there's a lot of talk about how tough conditions were on the run.

If you bike too hard...you're setting yourself up for an evening of misery. The big unknown is finding out what's too hard. PM or HR can help, if you're willing to trust the numbers rather than that little inner-voice telling you that it feels too easy and look at all the people passing you.

2015-04-12 2:37 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Take MPH off your garmin :-)

I think that's the the only solution honestly. I don't have the will power to back off otherwise. Now the question is whether or not I'll give in and reprogram it back on there mid-ride....I mean, I've got 5+ hours with idle hands...
2015-04-12 2:39 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by g_shotts

Were you tapered and rested for the ride? If not then it's a mistake to think that's how you'll feel on race day. A few weeks rest will work wonders.

I'm too cheap for a power meter, so I pace IM rides on HR. I set my garmin to display time and HR, because if I display speed or pace, I end up increasing my level of effort to chase some arbitrary speed which doesn't account for heat, wind, or any of the other variables that impact bike speed. Instead, I've got a target range, and I do my best to stay within my range. It feels like a pretty easy ride for the first 4-hours, as most of my training rides are at a much higher HR. But, I usually feel pretty fresh for the last two hours on the bike. A lot of people who don't understand how to pace will pass you in the first 40-miles of the race, and you'll see them at around mile 100 just dragging, and that's before they even put on their running shoes.

The most common race report you see, especially from first timers, has a few common themes. 1. They rode strong, but started to have stomach issues on the second half of the ride, which "never" happened to them in training. 2. Their stomach shut down on the run. 3.Their "run" turned into a death march....but they hung in there and finished. Post-race there's a lot of talk about how tough conditions were on the run.

If you bike too hard...you're setting yourself up for an evening of misery. The big unknown is finding out what's too hard. PM or HR can help, if you're willing to trust the numbers rather than that little inner-voice telling you that it feels too easy and look at all the people passing you.

I have noticed that trend. I certainly don't want to fall into it either.

2015-04-12 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5107464

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
5 hours for your first century seems like a solid time to me and I'll bet next time will go alot better. It might not be faster, but you'll feel better after it. Take your off the gas a bit for the IM and you should feel better.
2015-04-12 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't do IM and have never done a century (I think never over 90 miles) but I do train in those conditions most of the year and use HR a lot for harder efforts. That kind of drift is really typical if you are pushing the pace on a hot day. Even for an easy hour run, there is very substantial drift (for me, up to 20 BPM in Zone 2 if heat index is around 97-100.) Ditto what others have said--pace by heart rate or power rather than speed. I do this with tempo runs--turn the speed/distance function off on the Garmin and just use it as a heart rate monitor. Normally I have a "ceiling" beyond which I try not to go in a workout. If I hit the ceiling, I back off the effort/speed. This has eliminated (mostly) workouts that are so hard on my body as to be counterproductive. You definitely want to avoid cooking yourself before you even start the run, in both a literal and metaphorical sense.
2015-04-13 7:29 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The last 2 HIM I did were in similar conditions(85-90 and Higher humidity). 2 ago I drank 3 bottles(24 oz) on the bike and was toast on the run, last one I drank 4 bottles on the bike and felt great on the run. This is why people say to work on your nutrition plan! What seems like a small difference in nutrition is what makes or breaks you on race day. nutrition is also different for everyone so no one can tell you what is going to work for you; you have to work this out during your training.

It sounds like you were light on fluids and nutrition; probably close to bonking!

Don't walk away from that ride freaking out, learn a lesson from it.
2015-04-13 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by marcag Take MPH off your garmin :-)
I think that's the the only solution honestly. I don't have the will power to back off otherwise. Now the question is whether or not I'll give in and reprogram it back on there mid-ride....I mean, I've got 5+ hours with idle hands...

Do not, under any circumstances, pace by speed.  That's a foolish proposition that will likely lead to a whole bunch of walking later in the day.  It's especially risky when wind and hills enter the mix.  IMTX isn't that hilly but it will be hilly compared to where you're coming from.  The wind will also be a factor.  Pacing by speed into the wind and up hills is a recipe for disaster.

Pace by RPE and HR if you do not have a power meter.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century in the Books and s$:& just got real Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Now it is getting real

Started by timf79
Views: 1373 Posts: 20

2012-06-08 5:02 PM harmonjh

Getting to the Century level

Started by Dorm57
Views: 1577 Posts: 20

2012-04-05 9:39 AM pocodino

Long swims getting real boring Pages: 1 2

Started by JoeP138
Views: 2876 Posts: 43

2010-07-10 9:04 PM hondo77

first marathon and century 2 months before first HIM

Started by JonCT
Views: 1202 Posts: 6

2008-11-21 11:26 AM sax

BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, I LOVE TO READ BOOKS..........

Started by newadventures
Views: 1323 Posts: 15

2006-05-25 11:30 AM newadventures
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.