General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike checkin - leave tire pressure low Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-20 11:58 AM

Subject: Bike checkin - leave tire pressure low
I'm doing St. Anthony's triathlon in Florida this weekend and it's the first triathlon where I have to checkin my bike and leave it overnight. Should I leave the tire pressure a little low before checking it in? I thought I read somewhere about issues about leaving the tires out baking in the sun and they could blow. Just wanted to see if it was something I really needed to be concerned about.

2015-04-20 12:04 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Bike checkin - leave tire pressure low
It is not uncommon for people to pump tires up to 110-115 psi at their house drop the bike off in Transition and have the tires blow late in the afternoon. I have witnessed it several times. I always leave them low (80-90) and pump up in the morning.
2015-04-20 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

The science says you don't need to.  

That said, I always pump up my tires in the morning anyway so no harm in doing so.

2015-04-20 12:31 PM

User image

No.  You don't need to.  It's another one of those things triathletes do because people tell them to, not because it makes any sense.

YMMV.

2015-04-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I agree that you don't need to reduce pressure.  I read the science on it before, but it's something like a few hundred degrees of increased temperature in order to increase about 5 psi in your tires.

There are people that blow tires in transition, but my guess is that probably has more to do with the following.

1.  People who are misinformed about more pressure being faster.

2.  People using pumps with faulty pressure gauges.

3.  People who simply had a sidewall cut in their tires...often not realizing it because they don't ride on their race wheels/tires that often.

4.  The simple fact that you might have hundreds, or even thousands of bikes in one area...all pumping up their tires around the same time...so the chances of you hearing a blowout increases.

All that said, I have only heard one blowout while in transition.  And that was about 30 minutes after bike check in opened...so it had nothing to do with increased temperatures...unless the guy pumped up his tires in a walk in freezer or something.

If this *phenomenon* was actually true, people would be blowing out tubes while on the bike leg of IM all the time.  Being that they top off their tires in the morning and won't finish the bike till the hottest part of the day.

Edited by Jason N 2015-04-20 1:57 PM
2015-04-20 3:16 PM

User image

I have heard tires blow in transition before. I like to believe that these people way overinflated their tires, or the tube already had a weak spot in it. Saturday I pumped my tires, put my bike in the back of the car with the front windows down. Right before we left the tube blew; there was hole were the valve stem goes in. Did the heat have anything to do with it going at that moment? Maybe. Was that tube going to blow out in the near future no matter what? Definitely. I'd rather have it go before the ride/race than mid ride.

2015-04-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Exton, PA

Flo cycling does a nice job showing the calculations of the increase in pressure, and a chart showing how much.
Yes it is easy for your tire to reach 130°F sitting in the sun on an 80-90° day.

For me it's not usually 70° when I pump my tires in the early morning, it's maybe 60°. So if you are someone who rides with pressures up at 110, then yes you can have problems with a tire blowing out. 110 and above is high for most people IMO.

My preference is to pump in the morning before my ride so I know it will feel like all my other rides.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/12/flo-cycling-tire-pressure-an...
2015-04-20 3:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by mike761 Flo cycling does a nice job showing the calculations of the increase in pressure, and a chart showing how much. Yes it is easy for your tire to reach 130°F sitting in the sun on an 80-90° day. For me it's not usually 70° when I pump my tires in the early morning, it's maybe 60°. So if you are someone who rides with pressures up at 110, then yes you can have problems with a tire blowing out. 110 and above is high for most people IMO. My preference is to pump in the morning before my ride so I know it will feel like all my other rides. http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/12/flo-cycling-tire-pressure-an...

And that increase to 130 only results in a 10 psi increase.  so assuming you started in 90 degrees at 110 psi and it rose to an effective 130 degrees, you'd be looking at 120 psi.  Still don't see how that is going to cause a blowout.

I think there is a much greater risk -having seen, or actually heard, it at every race as I race in a colder climate- of nervous triathletes pumping their tires race morning and having issues then, whether that's related to a bad bead setting, or overinflation, or an unfamiliar pump, or......  I saw people doing this (deflating  tires in T1) at IM Canada where it was forecast to be 55 degrees overnight.

Anyway, I invite all those in my AG to continue the practice  

Edited by ChrisM 2015-04-20 3:59 PM
2015-04-20 5:42 PM

I just know I will have a long walk from my car to transition the morning of the race so I don't want to take my pump with me. I'd rather pump the tires up before I put it into transition.
2015-04-20 6:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TriTampa2 I just know I will have a long walk from my car to transition the morning of the race so I don't want to take my pump with me. I'd rather pump the tires up before I put it into transition.
Latex or Butyl tubes?

2015-04-20 8:47 PM

Originally posted by TriTampa2

I just know I will have a long walk from my car to transition the morning of the race so I don't want to take my pump with me. I'd rather pump the tires up before I put it into transition.

I'll be racing St As too on Sunday. So have you heard that there won't be a bag drop or something for bag/pump?

2015-04-20 8:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by TriTampa2 I just know I will have a long walk from my car to transition the morning of the race so I don't want to take my pump with me. I'd rather pump the tires up before I put it into transition.
Latex or Butyl tubes?

If the answer is what it should be, then this whole decision making process will become a lot simpler.
2015-04-21 6:26 AM
in reply to: Donto

Latex or Butyl tubes?

Honestly I don't know. I have not had to change out the tubes since I bought the bike which was this past December. It's a Cervelo P2. I've got about 600+ miles on it.
2015-04-21 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Then the answer is butyl.  Latex tubes don't come with the bike.

2015-04-21 6:33 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

Originally posted by Gatornate

I'll be racing St As too on Sunday. So have you heard that there won't be a bag drop or something for bag/pump?

I don't know. Is that the norm?
2015-04-21 6:44 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Latex or Butyl tubes?

Honestly I don't know. I have not had to change out the tubes since I bought the bike which was this past December. It's a Cervelo P2. I've got about 600+ miles on it.
After this race look into an optimal tire/tube combo for racing with, the better combo's can save you a number of watts in rolling resistance, some with better durability than others (OK quick answer is Continental GP4000s with latex tubes!).

Good luck at St Anthony's, looks like we finally will be getting some decent weather here in FL for the race.  My business partners nephew will be there attempting to get his pro card or whatever its called.

2015-04-21 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The bike check in for St A's is Saturday from 12-6p which is the hot period of the day with a current high forecast of 860F.   If anything the temps will start dropping in mid-afternoon after you drop your bike off.  Unless there is some other latent problem, then I don't see much risk of heat causing a flat. 

The biggest temperature increase will be actually be between the time transitiion closes at 6:45am on Sunday and the time you get back to T1, especially if like me, you're starting in one of the later waves.

I'm planning to drop my bike off at about 1pm Saturday and will probably top the tires off then to about 110 psi.  My normal routine is to then top them off again in the morning befiore the race.

Mark

2015-04-21 12:07 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Originally posted by RedCorvette

The bike check in for St A's is Saturday from 12-6p which is the hot period of the day with a current high forecast of 860F.   If anything the temps will start dropping in mid-afternoon after you drop your bike off.  Unless there is some other latent problem, then I don't see much risk of heat causing a flat. 

The biggest temperature increase will be actually be between the time transitiion closes at 6:45am on Sunday and the time you get back to T1, especially if like me, you're starting in one of the later waves.

I'm planning to drop my bike off at about 1pm Saturday and will probably top the tires off then to about 110 psi.  My normal routine is to then top them off again in the morning befiore the race.

Mark

If you are going to top off the tires the morning of the race, then why top them off before bike check?
2015-04-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by japarker24

Mark

If you are going to top off the tires the morning of the race, then why top them off before bike check?

Perhaps to discover if there is a slow leak at race pressure that you can swap out that morning?
2015-04-21 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by japarker24

Mark

So they aren't flat when I walk or ride my bike to check in? 

I'll be doing a short check ride at home Saturday morning before I drive to St. Pete for check in, so I'll pump them up for that if nothing else. 

Regardless, I'd expect the pressures to be a few pounds lower on Sunday morning after sitting out all night.  I might need to top them off, or adjust based on other factors, i.e., rain, wet roads, etc. 

Worst case would be showing up Sunday morning and finding an unexplained flat.

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2015-04-21 1:50 PM
2015-04-21 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Also, you hear it loud pops like a gun shot in transition. If it's going to be sitting in sun during day, lower PSI, pump back up morning of race.

2015-04-21 2:38 PM
in reply to: #5109477

Aren't there new studies showing that higher tire pressure is not the speed demon it's been made out to be? I know when I've pumped up my tires one day and check them the next there is very little difference.
2015-04-22 6:23 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Needed or not, you will need to pump your tires in the morning anyways, so why not leave it at around 80 psi? That's what I do in all my races where I need to check in the bike the night before.
2015-04-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: audiojan

Originally posted by audiojan

Needed or not, you will need to pump your tires in the morning anyways, so why not leave it at around 80 psi? That's what I do in all my races where I need to check in the bike the night before.

Is this really true though? How many psi are you actually losing overnight? I've rarely noticed a difference.
2015-04-22 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by audiojan Needed or not, you will need to pump your tires in the morning anyways, so why not leave it at around 80 psi? That's what I do in all my races where I need to check in the bike the night before.
Is this really true though? How many psi are you actually losing overnight? I've rarely noticed a difference.

With a butyl tube you aren't going to lose much but you really should be prepared for the possibility of walking into the transition area on race morning and finding a flat tire that will need to be replaced.  It's not a likely scenario but if you are prepared for it, you won't be scrambling if it does happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike checkin - leave tire pressure low Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How to check bike tire air pressure???

Started by Meljoypip
Views: 8337 Posts: 18

2013-05-06 11:24 AM tkos

Cyclocross Bike Tire Pressure

Started by guitarfrk75
Views: 5590 Posts: 6

2012-03-08 11:42 AM KathyG

question on air pressure in bike tires?

Started by travism
Views: 3170 Posts: 7

2011-03-18 5:42 AM dredwards

Off road tri - mtn bike tire pressure

Started by jwright44
Views: 783 Posts: 8

2007-06-29 3:10 AM jsttri

bike tire pressure

Started by davemadoch
Views: 677 Posts: 10

2006-08-17 1:55 PM awol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
At about the 1/2 mile mark my left soleus becomes extremely tight and painful. The pain then progresses into my left arch and then into my left knee.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.