General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why latex tubes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-24 8:45 PM

Subject: Why latex tubes?
So after I did my Aero wheels 101 thread the subject of using latex tubes came up.

So why, latex? I get the good tires, but do the tubes really make a differance?

Joe

2015-04-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Why latex tubes?

they are faster

2015-04-24 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Faster because they have less rolling resistance.
2015-04-25 6:41 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
The difference isn't huge, but it's there. Most of the data I've seen suggests 20-40 seconds over a 40k TT. The impact of rolling resistance is dependent on road conditions - on a super smooth surface it doesn't matter as much, but the rougher the roads get, the more important crr becomes.
2015-04-25 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Puppetmaster

So after I did my Aero wheels 101 thread the subject of using latex tubes came up.

So why, latex? I get the good tires, but do the tubes really make a differance?

Joe

My understanding from guys like Tom A on ST is that less energy is lost as the tube needs to change shape as it is rolling. I am sure you can see this when weight is applied to the wheel, bottom bulges a little, top doesn't. So apparently latex tires lose less energy as they change shape.

The down side of latex is the lose tire pressure faster than butyl. Not enough to affect you during a race, even IM.

The rate at which they lose pressure is much greater if you use CO2 to inflate them. So don't use a latex tube in your spare kit. Use a Butyl since you will be using CO2 to inflate it in case of a puncture.

Some people say they flat easier, some say the opposite. A pro I trust absolutely puts mountain bike sealant in his latex tubes. Latex tubes with removable cores make this much easier.

2015-04-25 11:08 AM

, Wisconsin
Back in the day (40 years ago) all we would use was latex. I'm planning on using again for my race setup. Installation is absolutely critical. It is very easy to damage the tubes when installing. Make sure the inside of tire and the rim/strip are totally clean. A lot of folks recommend dusting the tube with talc powder before installing . . . we always used to do that and seemed to work real well.

2015-04-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

The difference isn't huge, but it's there. Most of the data I've seen suggests 20-40 seconds over a 40k TT.

Umm...40 seconds over a 40k is definitely huge. 20 seconds may fall closer to noise, but I'd bet not. BTW, I missed podium in a 20k TT last week by 6 seconds.

On bad roads, you can get 5+ watts (per tire). (in test conditions, Tom A. sees 3W per tire: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2013/08/schwalbe-ironman-tires-clin... ) That is absolutely worth the $30.
2015-04-25 5:24 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Can I piggyback here with a related question?

I see there are 'regular' butyl tubes , and there are 'performance lightweight' butyl tubes.... How close in performance to latex are these lighter butyl tubes?

2015-04-25 6:08 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by triosaurus Can I piggyback here with a related question? I see there are 'regular' butyl tubes , and there are 'performance lightweight' butyl tubes.... How close in performance to latex are these lighter butyl tubes?

They aren't.  Latex tubes aren't faster because they are lighter, they are faster due to the properties of the material and the energy required to deform them which means lower rolling resistance.

2015-04-25 6:13 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
For sure - at Oly distance 40 seconds can mean a difference of several places. If you're competing for a podium spot, then the benefit of latex is huge. If you're a back or middle of the pack type of athlete, maybe not as big a deal. There are other things you can do that will likely yield more significant time savings (ex: clothing), but on a bang-for-buck ratio, it seems silly not to use latex tubes.
2015-04-25 6:15 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis For sure - at Oly distance 40 seconds can mean a difference of several places. If you're competing for a podium spot, then the benefit of latex is huge. If you're a back or middle of the pack type of athlete, maybe not as big a deal. There are other things you can do that will likely yield more significant time savings (ex: clothing), but on a bang-for-buck ratio, it seems silly not to use latex tubes.

What about flats/durability?  Admittedly, since all of the races I haul my kid to are a significant expenditure in time and money I'm reluctant to make the switch....and on another note......what would be the benefit in a draft legal race?  I see NONE.  Am I missing something?

2015-04-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis For sure - at Oly distance 40 seconds can mean a difference of several places. If you're competing for a podium spot, then the benefit of latex is huge. If you're a back or middle of the pack type of athlete, maybe not as big a deal. There are other things you can do that will likely yield more significant time savings (ex: clothing), but on a bang-for-buck ratio, it seems silly not to use latex tubes.

What about flats/durability?  Admittedly, since all of the races I haul my kid to are a significant expenditure in time and money I'm reluctant to make the switch....and on another note......what would be the benefit in a draft legal race?  I see NONE.  Am I missing something?

It saves just as many watts (or percentage of watts) in a draft legal race.  Your kid just gets to T2 on slightly fresher legs or maybe it's the difference between hanging onto the back of a pack or being able to bridge up to another one.

2015-04-25 6:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rolling resistance matters whether you are drafting or not.  The fear of flitting, whether real or not, should not be considered when racing at the pointy end where seconds matter.  Ask yourself, or your son, the question...would you rather be 10-20 seconds slower at every race but *maybe* not have a flat....or be 10-10 seconds faster in all your races, with the exception of the one or two races every decade that you do flat?  This of course assuming that your choices for faster equipment was the actual cause of those one or two flats.  If you run over a sharp thorn, you are going to flat no matter what.  Butyl doesn't have any magic puncture resistant properties over latex.  If you don't think rolling resistance matters, then by all means use gatorskins with mr tufo tire liners for racing.  I'd also add that rolling resistance matters more in draft legal where you may not have a clear view of the bumps or imperfections in the road.  In non drafting races it's easier to pick the smoothest line on the road.

Edited by Jason N 2015-04-25 6:46 PM
2015-04-25 6:48 PM
in reply to: #5110693

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Some peiplebeven claim that latex are more resistant to flatting since they may flex better and not get bit by some foreign material. Seems iffy at best.

You do have to be a little more careful installing them, sure, to avoid pinch flats. Instead of checking for tube out of place once, you check several times... No big deal. Besides, even if you do mess that up, it'll flat when you get up to pressure or on your mile. So, give em a quick spin the night before the race.

The only down side is cost. They are about $15 a piece, so 3X as much. You'd have to search super hard for another way to save that much power so cheap...especially since I assume your kid has already plucked the other low hanging fruit.
2015-04-25 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If installed properly there is not change to flat resistance. If something pokes through your tire, it will pop a butyl tube or a latex tube. Neither are all that tough. Tires are for flat protection, tubes just provide an area to hold the air in your tires.

2015-04-25 6:59 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

Rolling resistance matters whether you are drafting or not.  The fear of flitting, whether real or not, should not be considered when racing at the pointy end where seconds matter.  Ask yourself, or your son, the question...would you rather be 10-20 seconds slower at every race but *maybe* not have a flat....or be 10-10 seconds faster in all your races, with the exception of the one or two races every decade that you do flat?  This of course assuming that your choices for faster equipment was the actual cause of those one or two flats.  If you run over a sharp thorn, you are going to flat no matter what.  Butyl doesn't have any magic puncture resistant properties over latex.  If you don't think rolling resistance matters, then by all means use gatorskins with mr tufo tire liners for racing.  I'd also add that rolling resistance matters more in draft legal where you may not have a clear view of the bumps or imperfections in the road.  In non drafting races it's easier to pick the smoothest line on the road.

So....are you saying that latex is no less puncture resistant than butyl tubes?  I'm asking, I don't know.

As for watts saved in non-drafting vs. drafting.......I'd have to see some numbers before I became a believer.  It's NOT the same race. Hell, in a decent pack there is quite a bit of coasting.....so there can be no way in hell it's the same savings.

2015-04-25 7:00 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

If installed properly there is not change to flat resistance. If something pokes through your tire, it will pop a butyl tube or a latex tube. Neither are all that tough. Tires are for flat protection, tubes just provide an area to hold the air in your tires.

We run the same contis as everyone else......I guess what you are saying makes sense.  I'd still like to see some numbers for the trouble of it all.

2015-04-25 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5110814

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Poke around on toms site, bike blather. I linked an article above where he mentions 3 watt per tire.

Keep in mind that the watts saved will be higher when the road is rougher. That 3 watts is on a roller...smooth as can be.
2015-04-25 8:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

There was an article on slowtwitch last year and it was very clear that sealant worked a lot better with latex. So I guess if you were really concerned, you could run latex and sealant for extra protection. Personally, I haven't switched over to latex but I probably should.
2015-04-25 8:49 PM

User image

Pro

I asked a very knowledgeable guy on this board about latex regarding DL racing a few years ago......his response was that it was not worth it at the sprint distance DL racing level.  I'm just updating my knowledge level.

Now that I have been involved with my kid in DL racing at that level for a few years (54-56 minute sprint races)  I can't see 3-5 watts advantage in DL racing. Like I said, I'd have to see some actual numbers to make me change my mind. It's not the same race as an AG sprint.....not even close. 

So my deal is that just saying you get 3-5 watts difference no matter what is not necessarily true......unless I'm wrong.  

We're headed to Va. next weekend for a race.....I know most of the top "kids" (they're actually young men now).....I'm going to ask who uses latex tubes.

BTW - I can totally see it in non drafting triathlon.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-25 8:52 PM
2015-04-25 9:11 PM
in reply to: #5110693

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tqE9xf3IaFdH9x6P_OUV-7A/htmlv...

Row 16, conti 4000s with latex, 31 watts at 40km/hour
Row 48, conti 4000s with butyl, 39 watts at 40km/hour
4 watts per tube. Again, that is on perfectly smooth rollers. If anything, a rough road will be a bigger difference, but not less. DL or not, the watts are the same. You can of course argue that DL wattage won't be as smooth as TTing, but it still makes your kid go faster for same effort.
I'd like to hear the justification that 9 watts for $20 isn't worth it.

2015-04-25 9:18 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dfroelich https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tqE9xf3IaFdH9x6P_OUV-7A/htmlv... Row 16, conti 4000s with latex, 31 watts at 40km/hour Row 48, conti 4000s with butyl, 39 watts at 40km/hour 4 watts per tube. Again, that is on perfectly smooth rollers. If anything, a rough road will be a bigger difference, but not less. DL or not, the watts are the same. You can of course argue that DL wattage won't be as smooth as TTing, but it still makes your kid go faster for same effort. I'd like to hear the justification that 9 watts for $20 isn't worth it.

Look, there is no way someone riding in a pack in a crit race or DL triathlon gets the same watt advantage as someone TT'ing just by using latex tubes......NO WAY.  (I'm saying no way from my experience watching A LOT of DL racing up to the very top level) Just show me some race numbers and I'll change my mind. 

And now it's 9 watts???  No.  But you can bet I'm going to be bending a lot of ears this weekend.....coaches, racers, etc.  We'll see.

Good discussion again......thanks.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-25 9:20 PM
2015-04-25 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dfroelich https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tqE9xf3IaFdH9x6P_OUV-7A/htmlv... Row 16, conti 4000s with latex, 31 watts at 40km/hour Row 48, conti 4000s with butyl, 39 watts at 40km/hour 4 watts per tube. Again, that is on perfectly smooth rollers. If anything, a rough road will be a bigger difference, but not less. DL or not, the watts are the same. You can of course argue that DL wattage won't be as smooth as TTing, but it still makes your kid go faster for same effort. I'd like to hear the justification that 9 watts for $20 isn't worth it.

Look, there is no way someone riding in a pack in a crit race or DL triathlon gets the same watt advantage as someone TT'ing just by using latex tubes......NO WAY.  (I'm saying no way from my experience watching A LOT of DL racing up to the very top level) Just show me some race numbers and I'll change my mind. 

And now it's 9 watts???  No.  But you can bet I'm going to be bending a lot of ears this weekend.....coaches, racers, etc.  We'll see.

LB, I think your point is that unless you are at the front, you are pushing a % of FTP that is low enough that 5 watts doesn't matter? If you're TT-ing the 5 watts matters the entire race.  Probably true. I'd venture to say that the impact is greated in a non-DL race. 

However. ask grif if he would like to increase his FTP by 5 watts for zero training effort.  Bet the answer is yes, even if he isn't using the power as much in a DL race.  Essentially that is what you are doing when you decrease your rolling resistance.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-04-25 9:30 PM
2015-04-25 9:29 PM
in reply to: #5110845

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
No way? Of course there is.
8 watts may not mean as much in a DL race as TTing due to surging and draft tactics (as said above), but yes, the watts are there.
Before, I said there was 3 watts per tire (on rollers), but definitely more as the road gets rougher. Turns out, I under-remembered.

So, what exactly are you basing your argument on? I showed you numbers, other people have provided the mechanism of the benefit, myself and others have dispelled the myth that they are prone to popping.
2015-04-25 9:53 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

LB, I think your point is that unless you are at the front, you are pushing a % of FTP that is low enough that 5 watts doesn't matter? If you're TT-ing the 5 watts matters the entire race.  Probably true. I'd venture to say that the impact is greated in a non-DL race. 

However. ask grif if he would like to increase his FTP by 5 watts for zero training effort.  Bet the answer is yes, even if he isn't using the power as much in a DL race.  Essentially that is what you are doing when you decrease your rolling resistance.

Oh.....I think he would definitely in a non DL race.  But, the dynamics of a DL race would seem to negate any advantage vs. the obvious care/maintenance/cost issues with latex. 

I went through this same argument with tubeless vs. clinchers.....and now virtually everyone runs clinchers. 

And no....I'm not asking the big goof anything.  If you told him he'd get 5 watts by squirting toothpaste out of his arse during a race I'd be up to my own arse in Colgate by tomorrow.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-25 9:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why latex tubes? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New tires and tubes or just latex tubes?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1509 Posts: 9

2011-08-05 1:19 PM the bear

Latex Tubes

Started by crazyquick23
Views: 1606 Posts: 8

2010-06-03 4:27 PM tri808

Latex tubes and CO2

Started by marcag
Views: 6729 Posts: 11

2010-05-05 9:11 PM running2far

Latex Inner Tube - worth the extra dollars?

Started by GoFaster
Views: 10089 Posts: 10

2009-04-03 11:53 AM qrkid

Latex tubes?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 1878 Posts: 5

2008-01-16 5:07 PM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".