General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-05-15 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes

2015-05-15 9:43 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes
2015-05-15 9:55 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
We need a 16 option poll to go along with this article.
2015-05-15 10:45 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Originally posted by DaveL We need a 16 option poll to go along with this article.

And cat pics!

2015-05-15 11:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Agghh Tom is such a fame w&@&= !!

At least he didn't post semi nudes of his wife this time.
2015-05-16 12:54 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

, Kronobergs lan
But he's got a point, hasn't he?

I was just thinking the exact same thing when I saw the poster advertising my village's sprint tri this summer. This is a "leisure" tri open to all, especially beginners. Yet the photo they chose to advertise it is one of a pro on his super duper tri bike and his aero helmet. They should have put a picture of me on my hybrid, that would have attracted more regular joes.

2015-05-16 2:48 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Or one of the dudes I passed in my last race, who appeared to be riding $10,000 bikes and wearing fancy aero helmets, while going about 20 kph. This seems to be the demographic of some of the jet-setting crowd who came to Vietnam from afar for a 70.3 "experience".
2015-05-16 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I think Tom makes an interesting point here. As a BOP-MOP AGer, I know for certain that what he is talking about is correct, not everyone, and likely not even a majority, are at that race with the objective of competing for a spot on the podium. For me, personally, it is an opportunity to interact with kindred spirits with the same passion as I have, race against goals I have set for myself, and an affirmation of the training I have done - which is what I love and keeps me in the sport. As far as marketing trends within the business of triathlon, is there some sort of shortage of MBAs in the USA? I don't think so.
2015-05-16 7:47 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Thanks, Tom.  Great thoughts.

2015-05-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #5115815

Very interesting, though not surprising. My father commented to me after watching me at a local tri that he was shocked by the size and shape of some of the participants, and at the same time inspired by the effort being put forth. I think it was this visual that got him to buy a bike and start riding around the neighborhood with my mother.
2015-05-16 6:32 PM

At my last race it was a parade of really fit folks, and lots of nice gear and cars. Pretty sure we all fit the stereotype. And might i say, damn we all looked good. I guess it depends on the race. At a local race put on by the YMCA, I bet you'll find these folks, but aren't they generally the one and done crowd? Doesn't seem like a healthy market to me. If the companies making the gear thought the market was profitable, they would make the gear. I think he is making a pretty big assumption that companies are not frequently keeping an eye on the changing market. Generally, businesses that do that don't stay in business very long.

2015-05-17 4:55 AM
in reply to: #5115913

User image

Im with the previous poster. I think he's probably dead wrong to assume that he's figured out a marketing strategy that these companies just didn't see.

2015-05-17 8:18 AM
in reply to: #5116053

User image

Veteran
Calgary
All kinds of ads feature the beautiful, super-fit, the famous etc. That doesn't mean the ads are targeted toward those groups.
I think I'd be less likely to consider a tri event or product if the ads and promotion featured athletes that didn't look fit and capable.

Another way to think of this...
Assume that ads featuring the elite appeal to all levels of triathletes. (A reasonable assumption given the constant display of fit, beautiful models that we see in all types of advertising.)
Why would any triathlon company risk alienating the serious competitors by focusing too heavily on the back of the pack?
2015-05-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Pro

There are those who still think that people who do triathlon are somehow special....their demographics somehow change...they are the elite of endurance athletes....it's an ego thing, and people who do triathlon are the best at ego.  

No one would even consider writing an article about the "changing demographics of softball players", or "the changing demographics of marathon runners", or blah, blah, blah.  It's actually ridiculous.

I would say the more likely truth in this case is that there is nothing else about triathlon to write about......so let's pretend it's somehow changing and make something up.  Or maybe people are finally starting to realize that triathlon isn't special after all.

2015-05-17 10:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by donw All kinds of ads feature the beautiful, super-fit, the famous etc. That doesn't mean the ads are targeted toward those groups. I think I'd be less likely to consider a tri event or product if the ads and promotion featured athletes that didn't look fit and capable. Another way to think of this... Assume that ads featuring the elite appeal to all levels of triathletes. (A reasonable assumption given the constant display of fit, beautiful models that we see in all types of advertising.) Why would any triathlon company risk alienating the serious competitors by focusing too heavily on the back of the pack?

Sex and beauty sells.  It's probably in Chapter 1 of every marketing book ever written.

Putting less fit and less attractive people in advertising campaigns is just stupid.  Some companies try to get cute with their ads, as Tom noted, by featuring "real people" but it doesn't work.  Tom is completely off base with his article.  I agree with him to a degree the sport is filling from the bottom up and it's an everyman and everywoman sport.  I disagree with his assertion the industry is missing the mark by not promoting the everyman or everywoman.  Personally, I think it sends the wrong message promoting it the way Tom thinks.  This is a fitness and endurance industry.  It's not an apparel line at Sears or Walmart.  They're selling fitness and the idea of being fit.  I don't want to see 250 pound dudes or 190 pound ladies in my fitness ads.  I doubt 250 pound dudes and 190 pound ladies want to see that in their fitness ads.  I get where Tom is going with this.  "Look!  Those people in the ads are just like me, so I'm going to sign up for XYZ race or wear ABC shorts."  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that in this industry.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2015-05-17 10:40 AM
2015-05-17 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
To me, it seems there is a decline in the interest of triathlon. Perhaps the marketing is skewed to the wrong people now, and driving some away. The perception that it is unrealistic for many, so the sport is morphing to be more manageable and attainable. Whatever the reasons are for this decline; cost, and time being two big factors, and other similar venues, such as Tough Mudder and Spartan taking some of the pie, the gap between what's marketed and what people are actually doing is growing. People still want to succeed at a physical challenge, but are willing to change to accommodate their budget.

Perhaps also the adverse health risks are driving some away. The increase in fatalities in triathlons/biathlons, has possibly contributed to a negative perception of these sort of endurance events. Just this year, two events in my area, there have been 2 deaths during the swim (one triathlon and one biathlon).

2015-05-17 2:29 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by metafizxJust this year, two events in my area, there have been 2 deaths during the swim (one triathlon and one biathlon).

Where do you ski in Hawaii? 

2015-05-17 2:31 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by metafizxJust this year, two events in my area, there have been 2 deaths during the swim (one triathlon and one biathlon).

Where do you ski in Hawaii? 

it was a Run/Swim "Kailua Dash & Splash Biathlon "
2015-05-17 4:49 PM

Expert
2015-05-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Originally posted by donw All kinds of ads feature the beautiful, super-fit, the famous etc. That doesn't mean the ads are targeted toward those groups. I think I'd be less likely to consider a tri event or product if the ads and promotion featured athletes that didn't look fit and capable. Another way to think of this... Assume that ads featuring the elite appeal to all levels of triathletes. (A reasonable assumption given the constant display of fit, beautiful models that we see in all types of advertising.) Why would any triathlon company risk alienating the serious competitors by focusing too heavily on the back of the pack?

Sex and beauty sells.  It's probably in Chapter 1 of every marketing book ever written.

Putting less fit and less attractive people in advertising campaigns is just stupid.  Some companies try to get cute with their ads, as Tom noted, by featuring "real people" but it doesn't work.  Tom is completely off base with his article.  I agree with him to a degree the sport is filling from the bottom up and it's an everyman and everywoman sport.  I disagree with his assertion the industry is missing the mark by not promoting the everyman or everywoman.  Personally, I think it sends the wrong message promoting it the way Tom thinks.  This is a fitness and endurance industry.  It's not an apparel line at Sears or Walmart.  They're selling fitness and the idea of being fit.  I don't want to see 250 pound dudes or 190 pound ladies in my fitness ads.  I doubt 250 pound dudes and 190 pound ladies want to see that in their fitness ads.  I get where Tom is going with this.  "Look!  Those people in the ads are just like me, so I'm going to sign up for XYZ race or wear ABC shorts."  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that in this industry.

The article is more about product that advertising. I believe he is trying to say that the product doesn't exist for those demographics. I must say, that when you look at cycling apparel, everything is sized and cut very different than normal everyday clothing. I can see how some might be put off by having to buy up a size or two and still not having the most comfortable fit. But as I said earlier, if companies thought an updated product line would generate more sales, they'd already be doing it.
2015-05-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ziggie204

The article is more about product that advertising. I believe he is trying to say that the product doesn't exist for those demographics. I must say, that when you look at cycling apparel, everything is sized and cut very different than normal everyday clothing. I can see how some might be put off by having to buy up a size or two and still not having the most comfortable fit. But as I said earlier, if companies thought an updated product line would generate more sales, they'd already be doing it.

Is there anyone who wants to ride a bike but doesn't because they can't get the clothing they want?  I think that's absurd. 

2015-05-18 8:14 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by Rollergirl

But he's got a point, hasn't he?

I was just thinking the exact same thing when I saw the poster advertising my village's sprint tri this summer. This is a "leisure" tri open to all, especially beginners. Yet the photo they chose to advertise it is one of a pro on his super duper tri bike and his aero helmet. They should have put a picture of me on my hybrid, that would have attracted more regular joes.

If you knew how Tom used the forums in the past you might have another opinion.

Seeing a model in a Tri Ad holds little influence. Seeing 3/4 or more of the field in a WTS race wearing ZeroD or Kiwami makes me look at their product. The number of those suits being screened with another brand's logo to honour sponsor deals shows that athletes choose the suit and are not just wearing what they are told to wear.

When Simon Whitfield won his 2nd olympic medal he wore a ZeroD rebadged as a Sugoi. The Brownlees had their suits rebadged as Addidas until ZeroD got the GB Tri kit sponsorship.

We all have different exposures. In the past Cervelo has been so dominant in long course tri. There is more parity now but their bikes still have cache and lots of people want them. Around here they sell more simply because people want to say they have a bike from a Canadian company, Argon 18 has deeper penetration here for the same reason.
2015-05-18 8:20 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Swim/run is called Aquathon.

Biathlon involves xc skiing and rifle shooting...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2015-05-18 8:33 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Originally posted by ziggie204

I find that cycling and running apparel is sized somewhat consistently with my regular clothing. I am almost always a medium in shorts and a large in tops. Tri clothes are a completely different story, though. My tri shorts are always either a large or extra-large. I don't even look at tri tops because they are clearly not cut for large-chested women. I think he does have a point when he talks about that. However, most women at triathlons are thinner than me, and I am not even in the Athena group. I suspect that for a lot of women, the idea of putting their bodies on athletic display in tight clothing in front of a bunch of fit people is intimidating enough to keep them out of triathlons. At least is was for me before I worked up the nerve to try one.

However, I thought the idea of an entry-level aero bike where you sit upright was silly. How in the world do you sit upright and be aero? I do think that more people should be aware that you can ride any bike and a road bike works really well. Of course, that isn't going to help bike manufactures sell tri bikes.
2015-05-18 9:00 AM

User image

, Massachusetts
" If a bike company introduced a comfortable, high head-tube bike with aerobars and a comfortable saddle with an aero appearance at the $1500-$2200 price point it would be an easy decision for new triathletes. New triathletes aren’t interested in the tired marketing paradigm of wind-tunnel white paper dogma that is debated ad nauseam among a shrinking number of triathlon Internet forum mavens. They just want to sit upright on their bikes, be comfortable, look presentable and have a good experience at their triathlon."

I think there is some validity to the overall point he's trying to make, but this is a silly statement that undermines that point. Sitting upright on a bike with a high head tube and "comfortable" saddle negates the point of aero bars, and if what he's saying is true then the average triathlete likely doesn't care about the "aero appearance" of his/her bike. Essentially he's saying that if bike manufacturers slapped clip-on aero bars on hybrids, called them entry-level tri bikes, and sold them for $2,000 the masses would buy them like crack. If you don't need, want, or care about the advantages of a tri bike then don't buy one - just race on whatever you have, be it a hybrid, road bike, or mountain bike. Which is, incidentally, what most new triathletes do now anyway. It's true that equipment cost can be a barrier to entry for triathlon, but a $2,000 entry-level bike that doesn't confer any of the benefits of an actual tri bike doesn't solve that problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Article from Tom Demerly - Changing Demographics of Triathletes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What happened to Tom Demerly?

Started by cwpeters
Views: 3661 Posts: 19

2013-01-18 8:25 PM jmug23

BT'er Tom Gerlach IMFL 2012 - Congratulations Tom

Started by reecealan
Views: 1719 Posts: 15

2012-11-04 1:11 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Tom Demerly. Videos

Started by RushTogether
Views: 2786 Posts: 12

2012-07-21 5:02 AM RazorTri

Article: Core strength training for triathletes

Started by splinter
Views: 1902 Posts: 15

2005-03-27 11:38 PM Manny

Active.com article - TRIATHLETES: DEVELOPING FORCE ON THE BIKE

Started by DRM
Views: 1129 Posts: 6

2004-04-30 7:48 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.