BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-21 9:41 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Darren - no comment (or at least none that I can write here). 

Ben, your comment on strength really resonated.  It's funny how even one's own consideration of the term can change.  Initially (as in, when I was younger), I thought of it along the lines of Sean's somewhat tongue in cheek comment (perfectly valid, of course).  Then it came to mean being able to hold a redline pace in a 5k to 10k distance race.  Now, in MY head currently (a scary place), it is more about work that translates into being able to hold pace through the HM at the end of HIM and not crump at mile 9.  But that's really only because that territory is new to me, I think, and "strength" work is what can get me further into the cave successfully...

I suppose that the next evolution of "strength" will be a longer course, as I'm getting only more grey/bald and it seems that longer vs. faster with age is the common progression...  Maybe.  Maybe not.

However, I think it's tough to use the word without a somewhat crazy amount of explanation anymore, as the above demonstrates the definitional difference within one person over only a decade or so (to Ben's original observation).

I now use terms more like "muscular endurance" to describe what "feels" like strength work in my current regime.  But that's just one approach.

Any thoughts on a better classification of the different types of work?  Even "speed work" is fraught on many levels...

OK - no more procrastinating and back to work (wow, these late nights are keeeeeling me!).

Matt

Yeah, improving any aspect can be seen as getting "stronger", but I tend to not see that as strength really. Leaving that more for neuromuscular type work. I tend to look more at the part of the energy system and say that has improved. Then maybe some race specific work.

2015-05-22 7:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Proof of life.  We've had a few off days from work with Ann's brother being here and work has been a bit strong when I've been there as well. To answer Adrienne's question, I hope I can get some bike time in this weekend, some music jamming, some family time and just all around unwinding. My RR is done. Meh. I was really impressed with some of the racing/events I read through from last weekend.

Melanie - Congrats!!!!!!

Janyne - It looks like you really enjoyed TdC and are feeling good about the bike.

Robin - It looked like you were pleased with the effort from Colfax. how did it go?

Randee - How are you feeling about the Duathlon? It looks like the race was not really a race, but just a look at how things are going for IMMT. I hope you are feeling like you are in a good place.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

2015-05-22 8:24 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Proof of life.  We've had a few off days from work with Ann's brother being here and work has been a bit strong when I've been there as well. To answer Adrienne's question, I hope I can get some bike time in this weekend, some music jamming, some family time and just all around unwinding. My RR is done. Meh. I was really impressed with some of the racing/events I read through from last weekend.

Melanie - Congrats!!!!!!

Janyne - It looks like you really enjoyed TdC and are feeling good about the bike.

Robin - It looked like you were pleased with the effort from Colfax. how did it go?

Randee - How are you feeling about the Duathlon? It looks like the race was not really a race, but just a look at how things are going for IMMT. I hope you are feeling like you are in a good place.

YIKES I'm in class for 2 days and I miss almost 4 pages!

Meh, the Duathlon was ok. They can't all be prs

HOORAY LONG WEEKEND!!

Sounds like lots of house/car maintenance type stuff going on. Add me to the list. We've got some growth under the shingles over our garage. I was thinking about trying this stuff - anyone use it? http://www.wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_outdoor.html Reviews are all over the place.

Have a great day!
oh yeah and first OWS tonight. It's gonna be ccccold!
2015-05-22 11:09 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Melanie - Congrats!!!!!!

YIKES I'm in class for 2 days and I miss almost 4 pages! Meh, the Duathlon was ok. They can't all be prs HOORAY LONG WEEKEND!! Sounds like lots of house/car maintenance type stuff going on. Add me to the list. We've got some growth under the shingles over our garage. I was thinking about trying this stuff - anyone use it? http://www.wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_outdoor.htmlReviews are all over the place. Have a great day! oh yeah and first OWS tonight. It's gonna be ccccold!

We tried that stuff and for us it did not work very well.  Ortho Moss B Gon worked better in our situation.  One side of our house gets little direction sunshine and we have an ongoing battle with moss in the lawn and walkways.  I also bought a cheap sprayer like this which makes it pretty easy.

Good luck with your OWS.

2015-05-22 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I don't understand this word "moss"...

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-22 11:33 AM

(lizard.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
lizard.JPG (191KB - 4 downloads)
2015-05-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm with you, what is Kate Moss doing under the eaves of the house?

2015-05-22 11:53 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Kate Moss with shingles--not a pretty image to contemplate.

2015-05-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by laffinrock

Kate Moss with shingles--not a pretty image to contemplate.

LOL!!!

2015-05-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24
Matt TX -  Autism Speaks 8k on Sunday
Matt TX - Austin, TX LTF CapTex Tri  on Monday
Mary -  Cross Country Clash #2 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Stacey - back
Yanti - under the weather
Tom - foot/under the weather

2015-05-22 12:50 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Melanie - Congrats!!!!!!

YIKES I'm in class for 2 days and I miss almost 4 pages! Meh, the Duathlon was ok. They can't all be prs HOORAY LONG WEEKEND!! Sounds like lots of house/car maintenance type stuff going on. Add me to the list. We've got some growth under the shingles over our garage. I was thinking about trying this stuff - anyone use it? http://www.wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_outdoor.htmlReviews are all over the place. Have a great day! oh yeah and first OWS tonight. It's gonna be ccccold!

We tried that stuff and for us it did not work very well.  Ortho Moss B Gon worked better in our situation.  One side of our house gets little direction sunshine and we have an ongoing battle with moss in the lawn and walkways.  I also bought a cheap sprayer like this which makes it pretty easy.

Good luck with your OWS.

YEP I'm definitely getting a little sprayer.

Maybe I'll ask at my hardware store what they recommend.......hhhmmmm

2015-05-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GO RACERS!  

It's a good thing Mary is racing this weekend or Matt would be representing the Manatees all by himself

Feel better DLers.

2015-05-22 12:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Matt TX (and me)!!  Technically, this'll be Cross Country Clash #1 for me.  The 1st one got rescheduled to June 3 due to weather.

Stacey, Yanti, and Tom, get out from under the weather already.

Everybody else, have a great weekend.  For those of you here in the States, have a good Memorial Day weekend.  Don't forget to squeeze in a little fun amongst the house/yard/vehicle chores and maintenance.

We've had 21 days of rain in the past 22 days and I'm tired of it.  At this rate, we're going to lose bragging rights to having 300 days of sunshine for the year.

2015-05-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Matt TX (and me)!!  Technically, this'll be Cross Country Clash #1 for me.  The 1st one got rescheduled to June 3 due to weather.

Stacey, Yanti, and Tom, get out from under the weather already.

Everybody else, have a great weekend.  For those of you here in the States, have a good Memorial Day weekend.  Don't forget to squeeze in a little fun amongst the house/yard/vehicle chores and maintenance.

We've had 21 days of rain in the past 22 days and I'm tired of it.  At this rate, we're going to lose bragging rights to having 300 days of sunshine for the year.

GO GET EM Matt and Mary! REPRESENT!!
2015-05-22 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GO MATT and MARY.

I can come of the DL I have run 4 times this week all good, no back pain. I've got another appointment tonight but it's more a "let's totally knock this thing on the head" thing than I have to have it so I can move thing. Off to a dog show with little miss attitude this morning, then gonna squeeze in a run before my appointment.

Have a great weekend everyone.
2015-05-22 7:13 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Ok, I've not heard back from Lisa's associate (yes, i know, it's only been a day) and after a LOT of thought I think I'm going to try to build my own plan. Based on some research and recommendations by people who've been there done that I'm thinking I'll incorporate some speed work, hill repeats, tempo work, dm incline work and, of course, trail running and trail climbing.

My question to the group is what is a good starting spot after two weeks off from my marathon training.  During training I got up to 40 mile weeks.

Here's kinda what I'm thinking:

Monday easy trail

Tuesday alternating Tempo and Speed

Wednesday easy trail or cross

Thursday alternating hill repeats and hill tempo

friday easy trail

Saturday long trail (I've scouted several trails with good elevation gain and will gradually increase length)

Sunday yoga/bike

Allright, hit me.

For more info on the tempo/speed stuff here is where I'm getting that

ETA: I am calculating my long runs based on time rather than distance because of the nature of  trail runs.

YES! Now you are talking I was hinting at this.

I would use JD tempo/speed stuff for those Tuesdays but yeah, it sounds good to me. It's not rocket science, as much as it seems some people want you to believe. You just need to always remember why you are doing any one workout and how it contributes to your goals.

*I would also add to try and think of this more like a marathon than a half marathon. 

I dropped everything and didn't think about it this week And now it hurts to read all the planning and training you guys are doing! Back in the trail shoes tomorrow, though.

2015-05-22 8:24 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Gooooo Matt and Mary! Have fun and stay safe

Stacey, glad to hear your back is back

Yanti and Tom,

2015-05-22 11:43 PM

User image

Melon Presser

GO^2 McManatee!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!

Disabled List

Oh dear. Did we miss the Adventist health revolution or what?! Feel better Stace Face, Foxay, and me.

2015-05-22 11:50 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GO MATT and MARY. I can come of the DL I have run 4 times this week all good, no back pain. I've got another appointment tonight but it's more a "let's totally knock this thing on the head" thing than I have to have it so I can move thing. Off to a dog show with little miss attitude this morning, then gonna squeeze in a run before my appointment. Have a great weekend everyone.

Little Miss Attitude -- is that Gerry?

2015-05-23 6:27 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GO MATT and MARY. I can come of the DL I have run 4 times this week all good, no back pain. I've got another appointment tonight but it's more a "let's totally knock this thing on the head" thing than I have to have it so I can move thing. Off to a dog show with little miss attitude this morning, then gonna squeeze in a run before my appointment. Have a great weekend everyone.

No that's Jazz - I don't know if you have met her. If you have she would have just been a little puppy. Didn't do so well at the show, jazz decided today was a good day to limp. But Jill fixed her this afternoon after she had done me.
2015-05-23 7:10 PM

User image

Melanie - Congrats!!!!!!

Thanks! I was very happy with the results! Most went well and there was no tripping and falling for me in this race so I was pretty happy about that. I'll try to write a race report tonight.
2015-05-23 10:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Race report is up. Warning- it's way too long.

Edited by fortissimo 2015-05-23 10:26 PM

2015-05-24 6:44 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

No that's Jazz - I don't know if you have met her. If you have she would have just been a little puppy. Didn't do so well at the show, jazz decided today was a good day to limp. But Jill fixed her this afternoon after she had done me.

I've actually met her twice! Once as a little pup and then as a teenager. She and Gerry and Abby (OK I think that's the name of your oldest) were all parked around me wanting attention and Gerry was being very bossy!

Jazz had also just eaten her bed.

Mastiff Chronicles ... you should write them.

GERMANY by the way ... pretty simple. We can cycle in Germany.

Facilities/navigation/public transport are so much better there for disabled people.

My sister would much more easily gain German residency than Australian as well (not to mention work, etc.) We're also very close to our German family. And looking down the road, if we have to get Mutti out of Indonesia (I really hope to God not, not ever) Germany will be a lot easier to get her into than Australia as well.

2015-05-24 6:47 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by fortissimo Race report is up. Warning- it's way too long.

No such thing. (says the lady who's 2.5yr behind on them ... )

2015-05-24 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

May 23-24

Disabled List
Stacey - back

I've actually met her twice! Once as a little pup and then as a teenager. She and Gerry and Abby (OK I think that's the name of your oldest) were all parked around me wanting attention and Gerry was being very bossy!

Jazz had also just eaten her bed.

Mastiff Chronicles ... you should write them.

GERMANY by the way ... pretty simple. We can cycle in Germany.

Facilities/navigation/public transport are so much better there for disabled people.

My sister would much more easily gain German residency than Australian as well (not to mention work, etc.) We're also very close to our German family. And looking down the road, if we have to get Mutti out of Indonesia (I really hope to God not, not ever) Germany will be a lot easier to get her into than Australia as well.

Well that all make sense.
2015-05-24 11:30 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by fortissimo Race report is up. Warning- it's way too long.

No such thing. (says the lady who's 2.5yr behind on them ... )

Perhaps you should get advice from Kingsley I see his reports are up for the last two already

What part of Germany are you looking at?
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66469 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27914 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11808 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37072 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66209 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.