BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-06 2:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Salty, I've had my own share of Navy education. I've got the lingo pretty much down pat.

Chris and Janyne, I gotta keep it real with the Manatees.

ETA: forgot to mention, running there gave me flashbacks, good and bad, of my time in Georgia.

Keeping it real definitely includes restaurant reviews/commentary!

2015-07-06 2:35 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Mary, I hope that the weather is more cooperative this Wednesday!

No spoilers but OMG, today's TdF stage...

Not sure that 90's is exactly "more cooperative."  At least the only flash flooding I'm likely to be swept away in this week is my own sweat.  I'm sure there'll be plenty of that!  I don't handle heat well so I'm planning to take this one slow and make sure I carry water with me.

I thought that you said that it was a dry heat!  No worries then, right?

2015-07-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Darren, that sounds like a shambles of a weekend!  Yeesh.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You took a crack at it, which is a lot more than most people do.  You certainly learned lots of lessons and I have no doubt you won't forget them anytime soon.  Hope your knee settles down quickly.  I don't know much about SPD pedals, but if there's a different amount of float between what you're used to and what you used, that could have contributed to the problem.

Stacey, I think you got the colors (colours ) backwards.  It's Matt orange, not matt black.   Looks pretty speedy, regardless of what you call it.  DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEET!!

Salty and TJ, amazing pics and descriptions of your fabulous weekends!!

Sean, your N+1 is a beaut.  How many does that make now?

My weekend was a bit of a wake-up call that hills require not only physical but mental training, and I clearly haven't been doing enough of that.  The route for my tri at the end of the month starts with ~7.5 mi. with 3 uphills, one after the other (moderate, hard, and hardest).  I took on uphill sections 2 and 3 yesterday, with mixed results. I stopped a bunch of times, discussed switching to a relay with DH riding the bike leg, said "I can't" too many times, then got back on and did.  It took me 59:25 elapsed time to do 30:27 riding time, covering 5.88 mi., 1.65 mi. of which was downhill.  I'd wobble to a stop, sit and moan, then recover, swear, and tackle it again.  I finally made it past the top and even pushed on through the first roller.  Have to say, doing this makes me have much more respect for those TdF riders I'm watching!!

I'm doing back this weekend to do battle again, starting from the beginning.  Tonight's task is to plan stops on the route that will come before I get into trouble.  DH suggested that so I can break it up in a positive way instead of stopping when I hit the wall.  (He's so awesome!!)  I have "DFL is better than DNF" posted at work and am working on getting rid of the fear/intimidation and focusing on getting through it a pedal stroke at a time.  Several of you have posted wonderful inspires in my log, which I *hugely* appreciate.  I'm not making any decisions about switching to a relay until I get through this weekend.  The biggest reward of making it to the top is the super-fun ride back down.  I made it up to over 32 mph, which was scary but a total blast.

You've got this! And yep, it's all about one step/pedal stroke at a time! Make small milestone goals to give you some mental "wins"

Some of those spots might be doing just that. Had a ride on Saturday where that really was the case for a couple late ones. Power was way past threshold. HR was too, reaching 190 a couple times, which I hadn't done in a few years. Cadence was dropping near 40 rpm in a couple spots and it was about all I could do to just get to the next "step". Had to go up near 3/4 of a mile just like this in one place. Really wanted to stop a few times on this, but stayed with it and made it over. Felt great having done it though.

You might consider the short stops at the tops, but also look into the recovery between each. I see it on strava now that there is at least a short downhill between each. Right after each of the big hills for mine I'd go into a quick, but controlled spin. Felt really light weight and cadence was a bit faster than my flatground average would be, but still easily maintainable for a quite a while if I wanted. For me that's getting near or just over 100 rpm. For you that might be something else. Stop if you need to, but also get your legs moving again before hitting the next hard section as you want to be loose and ready for that. As ready as you can.

2015-07-06 2:46 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm not making any decisions about switching to a relay until I get through this weekend

Fixed that for ya

THIS

That's awesome!!!  Thanks, TJ.  Nope, no backing down the hill.

2015-07-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Darren, that sounds like a shambles of a weekend!  Yeesh.  Don't be too hard on yourself.  You took a crack at it, which is a lot more than most people do.  You certainly learned lots of lessons and I have no doubt you won't forget them anytime soon.  Hope your knee settles down quickly.  I don't know much about SPD pedals, but if there's a different amount of float between what you're used to and what you used, that could have contributed to the problem.

Stacey, I think you got the colors (colours ) backwards.  It's Matt orange, not matt black.   Looks pretty speedy, regardless of what you call it.  DOOOOOOOO EEEEEEEET!!

My weekend was a bit of a wake-up call that hills require not only physical but mental training, and I clearly haven't been doing enough of that.  The route for my tri at the end of the month starts with ~7.5 mi. with 3 uphills, one after the other (moderate, hard, and hardest).  I took on uphill sections 2 and 3 yesterday, with mixed results. I stopped a bunch of times, discussed switching to a relay with DH riding the bike leg, said "I can't" too many times, then got back on and did.  It took me 59:25 elapsed time to do 30:27 riding time, covering 5.88 mi., 1.65 mi. of which was downhill.  I'd wobble to a stop, sit and moan, then recover, swear, and tackle it again.  I finally made it past the top and even pushed on through the first roller.  Have to say, doing this makes me have much more respect for those TdF riders I'm watching!!

I'm doing back this weekend to do battle again, starting from the beginning.  Tonight's task is to plan stops on the route that will come before I get into trouble.  DH suggested that so I can break it up in a positive way instead of stopping when I hit the wall.  (He's so awesome!!)  I have "DFL is better than DNF" posted at work and am working on getting rid of the fear/intimidation and focusing on getting through it a pedal stroke at a time.  Several of you have posted wonderful inspires in my log, which I *hugely* appreciate.  I'm not making any decisions about switching to a relay until I get through this weekend.  The biggest reward of making it to the top is the super-fun ride back down.  I made it up to over 32 mph, which was scary but a total blast.

You've got this! And yep, it's all about one step/pedal stroke at a time! Make small milestone goals to give you some mental "wins"

Some of those spots might be doing just that. Had a ride on Saturday where that really was the case for a couple late ones. Power was way past threshold. HR was too, reaching 190 a couple times, which I hadn't done in a few years. Cadence was dropping near 40 rpm in a couple spots and it was about all I could do to just get to the next "step". Had to go up near 3/4 of a mile just like this in one place. Really wanted to stop a few times on this, but stayed with it and made it over. Felt great having done it though.

You might consider the short stops at the tops, but also look into the recovery between each. I see it on strava now that there is at least a short downhill between each. Right after each of the big hills for mine I'd go into a quick, but controlled spin. Felt really light weight and cadence was a bit faster than my flatground average would be, but still easily maintainable for a quite a while if I wanted. For me that's getting near or just over 100 rpm. For you that might be something else. Stop if you need to, but also get your legs moving again before hitting the next hard section as you want to be loose and ready for that. As ready as you can.

Great advice Ben!

2015-07-06 2:51 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

You've got time - just keep at it! Every time will get a little easier too!

2015-07-06 2:51 PM

User image

Seattle

We've had temps in the 90s for the past week here. I am actually acclimating. I know you people in hot climates might roll your eyes but just know, none of us have residential aircon and only some businesses do. So there are lots of cranky people.

The whole sweat + wind (from running) + evaporation thing the body does is really quite amazing. I mean, I end my runs drenched in sweat but I don't feel hot.

2015-07-06 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We've had temps in the 90s for the past week here. I am actually acclimating. I know you people in hot climates might roll your eyes but just know, none of us have residential aircon and only some businesses do. So there are lots of cranky people.

The whole sweat + wind (from running) + evaporation thing the body does is really quite amazing. I mean, I end my runs drenched in sweat but I don't feel hot.

I feel for anyone who doesn't do these temps on a regular basis. And no A/C is NUTZ!  Keep sweating and evaporating!

2015-07-06 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What is the evaporation that you speak of? I'm unfamiliar with that!

2015-07-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas

Drenched in sweat is an understatement. I come back into the gym at my office and one of the personal trainers likes to ask me if I got in a fight with a water hose.

You also learn to just jump in the shower fully clothed. You're clothes are completely soaked anyway, might as well rinse them off before putting them in the hamper (or worse, the gym bag).

Edited by Jet Black 2015-07-06 3:03 PM
2015-07-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Katy, Texas

good point lol

2015-07-06 3:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Are you getting smoke from the fires?  It was really hazey here yesterday and today.  It was as thick as fog over the bay.

Nice to see the new bikes and cool pics of weekend adventures.

Got in a nice swim in the lake Friday and tested the knee with a caution 6 mile run on Saturday.  It's a little tweaky but was able to run ok.  Had a great Fourth party.  Lots of friends and family over to help me polish off a keg and watch the fireworks. 

2015-07-06 3:16 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks, Ben.  Honestly, it helps a lot to hear that even good athletes like you think about stopping on hills, and to hear that I'm doing some things right.  I do spin on the downhills and you're right, it helps a lot, both to loosen up and to get some momentum to tackle the next one.  I also try to crest the hill and keep going at least a little ways to get that little bit of psychological advantage instead of just stopping at the top.

I'm really counting on the 4 mi. downhill after 8 mi. climb.  Hopefully it'll help me recover enough that I can get off my bike without falling over.

2015-07-06 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

After my race on Saturday there was sweat and/or humidity running down my shins. I don't usually sweat like that. It was crazy!

2015-07-06 3:25 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black

Drenched in sweat is an understatement. I come back into the gym at my office and one of the personal trainers likes to ask me if I got in a fight with a water hose. You also learn to just jump in the shower fully clothed. You're clothes are completely soaked anyway, might as well rinse them off before putting them in the hamper (or worse, the gym bag).

That's a great idea!  We've been having higher humidity than normal due to all the rain we've been getting.  The relative humidity is up into the 60%'s, and yest I know that's peanuts for some of you!  Anyway, as a result, our usual "dry heat" hasn't been so dry and it's awful because we don't get the usual evaporation we're used to.  I sweat a ton too and have been coming home from runs completely drenched.

Funny story about sweat:  DH has been having problems with his phone when he's riding.  It keeps jumping around, switching to different map locations and even applications.  After thinking that his phone was on the blink, he finally figured out that the problem was little drops of sweat dripping off his helmet and landing on the screen.  #firstworldproblems

2015-07-06 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Okay, plan of action...

1. Mass, get rid of it. I'm talking my big butt, not buying some new carbon fandangle. Currently at 168 lbs, which is about 8 lbs more than I was. Plan, no food intake 5 hours prior to sleeping.

2. Run volume/frequency. Complete at least 5 hours per week, building to 6 hours. Initially, ignore pace and run off heart rate, trying to keep HR around 150 bpm. Going to be slow to start with but hopefully pace will increase as heart rate stays the same as the weeks go on, as running efficiency increases and weight goes. First 4 weeks will be done on same loop to keep efforts consistent and take the thought out of it, after that I will introduce some hill reps somewhere to get the most bang for buck time wise. Initially I will be running 3/4 days a week, building to 6 days a week. Main bulk of workouts will be 2 x 1.25 - 1.5 hour runs with a 2 - 2.25 hour long run. Again, these will be ran at 150 bpm. Rest of the runs will be tacked on to bike sessions or used as recovery jogs to increase volume/frequency.

3. Swim, euuuurrrrggggghhh, my nemesis. I won't lie, this will probably remain as is. I just can't get in the time needed to put in the technical work, but I will aim to do at least one open water swim a week with a bike ride attached. Will try swimming with a nose clip.

4. Bike. now this is where I'm at a loss at the moment. Currently I'm guessing I've lost a lot off my FTP, so I will need to retest to see where I'm at. Moving forward I'm not sure whether or not to break it down into doing 2 x hard indoor/trainer/trainer road/sufferfest type workouts to raise FTP per week (Ben?Thoughts on suitable workouts?) and one long endurance ride where I keep to a set wattage (i.e 65-70% FTP for 4-5 hours, building to 6-7 hours) or whether to just get T.I.T.S.

5. Nutrition - all my shorter stuff (sub 3 hours) to be done after waking on nothing but water, longer rides/combined days fuel on same stuff as given out on course, i.e powerbar gels etc ( must get some in).

Thoughts?

2015-07-06 3:32 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Drenched in sweat is an understatement. I come back into the gym at my office and one of the personal trainers likes to ask me if I got in a fight with a water hose. You also learn to just jump in the shower fully clothed. You're clothes are completely soaked anyway, might as well rinse them off before putting them in the hamper (or worse, the gym bag).

That's a great idea!  We've been having higher humidity than normal due to all the rain we've been getting.  The relative humidity is up into the 60%'s, and yest I know that's peanuts for some of you!  Anyway, as a result, our usual "dry heat" hasn't been so dry and it's awful because we don't get the usual evaporation we're used to.  I sweat a ton too and have been coming home from runs completely drenched.

Funny story about sweat:  DH has been having problems with his phone when he's riding.  It keeps jumping around, switching to different map locations and even applications.  After thinking that his phone was on the blink, he finally figured out that the problem was little drops of sweat dripping off his helmet and landing on the screen.  #firstworldproblems

I have to wrap my phone in a plastic bag before tucking it into my jersey or race belt that has a perfect sized pocket or it would be ruined.
2015-07-06 3:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Okay, plan of action...

1. Mass, get rid of it. I'm talking my big butt, not buying some new carbon fandangle. Currently at 168 lbs, which is about 8 lbs more than I was. Plan, no food intake 5 hours prior to sleeping.

2. Run volume/frequency. Complete at least 5 hours per week, building to 6 hours. Initially, ignore pace and run off heart rate, trying to keep HR around 150 bpm. Going to be slow to start with but hopefully pace will increase as heart rate stays the same as the weeks go on, as running efficiency increases and weight goes. First 4 weeks will be done on same loop to keep efforts consistent and take the thought out of it, after that I will introduce some hill reps somewhere to get the most bang for buck time wise. Initially I will be running 3/4 days a week, building to 6 days a week. Main bulk of workouts will be 2 x 1.25 - 1.5 hour runs with a 2 - 2.25 hour long run. Again, these will be ran at 150 bpm. Rest of the runs will be tacked on to bike sessions or used as recovery jogs to increase volume/frequency.

3. Swim, euuuurrrrggggghhh, my nemesis. I won't lie, this will probably remain as is. I just can't get in the time needed to put in the technical work, but I will aim to do at least one open water swim a week with a bike ride attached. Will try swimming with a nose clip.

4. Bike. now this is where I'm at a loss at the moment. Currently I'm guessing I've lost a lot off my FTP, so I will need to retest to see where I'm at. Moving forward I'm not sure whether or not to break it down into doing 2 x hard indoor/trainer/trainer road/sufferfest type workouts to raise FTP per week (Ben?Thoughts on suitable workouts?) and one long endurance ride where I keep to a set wattage (i.e 65-70% FTP for 4-5 hours, building to 6-7 hours) or whether to just get T.I.T.S.

5. Nutrition - all my shorter stuff (sub 3 hours) to be done after waking on nothing but water, longer rides/combined days fuel on same stuff as given out on course, i.e powerbar gels etc ( must get some in).

Thoughts?

Looks like a good plan Darren. The only things I'd suggest changing would be:

1. Start out running 6 days a week (shorter runs) than trying to immediately jump to 5 hrs a week in 3/4 days. Especially since you already have knee issues. I'd start out around 20 miles/week (2 mi, 4 mi, 2 mi, 4 mi, 2 mi, 6 mi) and work your way up from there (no more than 10% from one week to the next). This is the BarryP plan from slowtwitch. Search there for more details.
2. I wouldn't go too far on cutting calories straight off the bat. Looks like you're going to be ramping up the volume considerably rather quickly. You're going to need fuel to do that. You don't want to run out of steam right away. Weigh yourself every day and let that be the judge. If you're losing more than 2 lbs/week, eat more. And really you don't have that much to lose considering, so I'd probably try and limit it to no more than 1 lb/week.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-07-06 3:43 PM
2015-07-06 3:45 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, relatively low humidity here, luckily. 

2015-07-06 4:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

I have to wrap my phone in a plastic bag before tucking it into my jersey or race belt that has a perfect sized pocket or it would be ruined.

i wrap it in a paper towel before the plastic bag. Sometimes double up on the bag.

2015-07-06 4:25 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Darren, I always use a nose clip, no matter where I'm swimming, or I end up getting bloody noses.  It's a cheap little investment that's made swimming much more tolerable for me.  I always clip an extra one on my collar or swim cap when I do an OWS in case I somehow lose or break the one I'm wearing.  Also, to keep the clip from slipping around, I make sure to rinse and wipe my nose really well before I put the clip on.

I'm no help on the other aspects of your plan, except for the occasional drop-in on your log to check on your progress.  I'll try to do that a little more often to help keep you honest.

2015-07-06 4:27 PM

User image

Seattle

i wrap it in a paper towel before the plastic bag. Sometimes double up on the bag.

Yeah, I keep a ziploc at the ready almost always. Especially for mountain running when there is a stream crossing or somewhere I may have a chance of falling in (as I have twice now....)

2015-07-06 4:29 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Okay, plan of action... 1. Mass, get rid of it. I'm talking my big butt, not buying some new carbon fandangle. Currently at 168 lbs, which is about 8 lbs more than I was. Plan, no food intake 5 hours prior to sleeping. 2. Run volume/frequency. Complete at least 5 hours per week, building to 6 hours. Initially, ignore pace and run off heart rate, trying to keep HR around 150 bpm. Going to be slow to start with but hopefully pace will increase as heart rate stays the same as the weeks go on, as running efficiency increases and weight goes. First 4 weeks will be done on same loop to keep efforts consistent and take the thought out of it, after that I will introduce some hill reps somewhere to get the most bang for buck time wise. Initially I will be running 3/4 days a week, building to 6 days a week. Main bulk of workouts will be 2 x 1.25 - 1.5 hour runs with a 2 - 2.25 hour long run. Again, these will be ran at 150 bpm. Rest of the runs will be tacked on to bike sessions or used as recovery jogs to increase volume/frequency. 3. Swim, euuuurrrrggggghhh, my nemesis. I won't lie, this will probably remain as is. I just can't get in the time needed to put in the technical work, but I will aim to do at least one open water swim a week with a bike ride attached. Will try swimming with a nose clip. 4. Bike. now this is where I'm at a loss at the moment. Currently I'm guessing I've lost a lot off my FTP, so I will need to retest to see where I'm at. Moving forward I'm not sure whether or not to break it down into doing 2 x hard indoor/trainer/trainer road/sufferfest type workouts to raise FTP per week (Ben?Thoughts on suitable workouts?) and one long endurance ride where I keep to a set wattage (i.e 65-70% FTP for 4-5 hours, building to 6-7 hours) or whether to just get T.I.T.S. 5. Nutrition - all my shorter stuff (sub 3 hours) to be done after waking on nothing but water, longer rides/combined days fuel on same stuff as given out on course, i.e powerbar gels etc ( must get some in). Thoughts?
Looks like a good plan Darren. The only things I'd suggest changing would be: 1. Start out running 6 days a week (shorter runs) than trying to immediately jump to 5 hrs a week in 3/4 days. Especially since you already have knee issues. I'd start out around 20 miles/week (2 mi, 4 mi, 2 mi, 4 mi, 2 mi, 6 mi) and work your way up from there (no more than 10% from one week to the next). This is the BarryP plan from slowtwitch. Search there for more details. 2. I wouldn't go too far on cutting calories straight off the bat. Looks like you're going to be ramping up the volume considerably rather quickly. You're going to need fuel to do that. You don't want to run out of steam right away. Weigh yourself every day and let that be the judge. If you're losing more than 2 lbs/week, eat more. And really you don't have that much to lose considering, so I'd probably try and limit it to no more than 1 lb/week.

I also favor tackling frequency first when upping volume. BarryP is not just a slowtwitch thing though. 

For nutrition stuff I wouldn't even try to limit what you eat, just try to eat quality food and pay attention. Upping your training volume should really help too. 

2015-07-06 4:29 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Am I sensing a bit of competition here?  Nuh uh, I get sweatier than you do!

For lack of a better place, I tucked my phone in my bra while volunteering for a race over the weekend.  NOT a good plan, especially when it's 90*.  Didn't cook it, but it was sure gross.

2015-07-06 4:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Am I sensing a bit of competition here?  Nuh uh, I get sweatier than you do!

For lack of a better place, I tucked my phone in my bra while volunteering for a race over the weekend.  NOT a good plan, especially when it's 90*.  Didn't cook it, but it was sure gross.

Hahaha. In a towel, in a bag, between the bewbs, under a shirt....

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66473 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27917 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11809 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37076 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66212 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.