BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Back home for a week and then off to Kansas. Had a great visit with my family. Kids didn't want to leave...grandma/grandpa/aunt/uncle/four cousins, a pond, a rope swing, a raft, a river, 24 acres, bikes, sheep, chickens, bugs, frogs, etc, etc, etc. 

On the downside...2+ weeks off didn't do much for my knee.  I reasoned/pouted with myself on the way home, and I'm out of Pikes.   I couldn't see a doctor earlier because of insurance, and with these trips it won't happen for another 2-3 weeks. As excited as I was to do it, just not smart at this point.

I hope you'll all forgive me for not reading the 550+ pages you wrote over the last two weeks

Well, looks like you had a great time. 

It is a total bummer about your knee but I am glad you made the call. It's the type of race that would be absolute misery without proper training (and even with.)

Are you guys still coming to Colorado? 

Love the picture in the rocking chair.  That's definitely a keeper and maybe one to do every year.  Boo about the knee, but smart decision.  I was wondering the same thing as Salty:  are you still coming?  I assume J is still planning on doing the PPM?  Hope so!  If nothing else, a little trip to CO for just the 2 of you would still be a nice way to pre-celebrate your milestone birthday.  Plus you wouldn't have to stick to root beer on the brewery tour.

I was thinking that rocking chair photo would be fantastic to recreate like 15 years later

2015-07-07 6:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Thanks for all the advice from y'all ?
I'll answer some of the concerns raised as soon as I get time at a computer. Far too many points to address using a phone. Cheers.
2015-07-07 9:57 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?)

Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running.

So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?
2015-07-08 2:41 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?) Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running. So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?

While I have never been particularly flexible, as time goes on I get less and less so.  I hate to stretch and it is unlikely I'll ever do anything I hate consistently.  I'm sure yoga would help but that's another time commitment I could not handle and while I don't hate doing it it's not anywhere near the top of my list.

The legs are where I notice it the most too but my back is also tight.  So what to do.?.  I used to worry about it but now just accept it and plan accordingly.  It is worst when I am irregular with my workout sessions.  It is best when I stay active on a daily basis.  I have taken very few complete rest days over the last seven years.  If I'm tired I tend to lighten my workload but still try to get something in.  If I do take a complete day off I know I will be a very slow to warm up the next day and tend to feel a little off.  I'm also much more patient when I begin a workout and allow plenty of time to gradually warm up.  Generally, 500 yards of swimming,  at least a mile of running, and 15-20 minutes when cycling.

I have also found that walking as a cool down after I run helps a lot to avoid post-run tightness.  I plan most of my runs to end a half mile from wherever I'm running from to make sure I get a good walk in before stopping. 

2015-07-08 3:54 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?) Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running. So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?

i get very tight too and I think that has led to issues such as a hurt TFL and bursitis in my Achilles. So, I now make time to do a weekly Yin yoga class and I try to remember to do a few post-run stretches. While that is just another thing to fit in, I'd rather find the time than be in running time out due to injury.  It's a lesson I've had to learn a few times!!  I also religiously stretch my shoulder, but that is a post-surgery thing that I hope to be able to stop one day soon!

now to the important question, I spell it y'all, but you will sometimes see it spelled ya'll.  in a few hours I will be in the Smokey Mountains and will hear people say you'uns.  First time I heard that I had no idea what the person had said!  

2015-07-08 7:18 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?)

Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running.

So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?

Yes, correct spelling.

I stretch 3x per week after my recovery runs. They are my shortest workouts time wise of the week, so I figure I can spend 10-15 minutes stretching after them. And it does seem to help with the recovery as well.

2015-07-08 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?)
Yes, that is the correct spelling.

Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running. So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?

Yoga.  I find that yin yoga is especially helpful.  I prefer classes since I don't have a good place to do this at home (Kevin having taken up way more than his fair share of space!) but I know that Judi and TJ both have online sources.

2015-07-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK I have a question for y'all (is that how you spell that?)

Over the last few months I have noticed a fairly dramatic decline in my total body flexibility. This includes my arms and back but is the most noticeable in my legs. I think that this decline in flexibility has helped to contribute to my discomfort on the bike and also to the amount of cramping that I get in my calves after running. So what do you do to maintain your flexibility as you age or do you find that your tri training maintains this for you with any additional focus?

Yoga.  I find that yin yoga is especially helpful.  I prefer classes since I don't have a good place to do this at home (Kevin having taken up way more than his fair share of space!) but I know that Judi and TJ both have online sources.

If I understand correctly, y'all is short for you all, so putting the apostrophe after the y is correct.  However, that answer is based on my punctuation persnicketiness, not on any actual experiential training.

As for flexibility, one thing I do is use my foam roller and get massages regularly.  Both help with stiffness/soreness.  I also notice that staying active helps.  Like Steve, not doing anything makes me feel worse.  There are days when I hurt and feel like crud but I make myself go to work so I'll be moving around rather than just sitting on the couch or napping.

2015-07-08 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I use Jasyoga. She's a teacher out of Seattle who is affiliated with Oiselle. I have access to all of her videos online (not downloaded) for $4.99 per month.

2015-07-08 9:26 AM

User image

Denver, CO

For any beer lovers needing incentive to come to CO, here's an article about the Boulder Ale Trail.  Salty, too bad you're not going to be here longer in August!

2015-07-08 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Stacey, I am woefully inflexible. So, when I am thinking about it, stretching is my go to. If we are sitting down to watch TV or some such thing, I'll lay on the floor for at least 15 minutes, stretching the legs, neck, back, and shoulders.  I don't do it as regularly as I should, but I think it helped during the winter when I was run focused.  Also, every hour or so at work I have found it useful to get up and walk around the building to just try to keep moving. But yeah, as I have gotten along in life, I find my physical flexibility dwindling.

2015-07-08 10:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

The common theme you're seeing in the various responses is use of the affected muscles/areas. And particularly, use of them throughout the intended range.

2015-07-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
I've never been very flexible. I've also not seen much data that suggests it's very important for running so I don't do much to address it. I think it's more important for swimming (if I recall ankles? Shoulders? ) and of course if it's limiting you in some way, you can certainly work on it. But I really hesitate to put much time into it.
2015-07-08 10:30 AM

User image

Seattle

For any beer lovers needing incentive to come to CO, here's an article about the Boulder Ale Trail.  Salty, too bad you're not going to be here longer in August!

Boulder is one of my very favorite places. Perhaps the boulder boulder next year....I do lover a good ale trail!
2015-07-08 11:06 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Boulder is one of my very favorite places. Perhaps the boulder boulder next year....I do lover a good ale trail!

Thought you might like that.    Saw this today and thought of you too.  Question:  when you're running up mountains and focused on time, do you miss out on the beauty that you'd see if you just hiked it?  Or do you still have enough attention to spare?

2015-07-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Thought you might like that.    Saw this today and thought of you too.  Question:  when you're running up mountains and focused on time, do you miss out on the beauty that you'd see if you just hiked it?  Or do you still have enough attention to spare?

In a race, yeah, you don't get to really enjoy it the way I like to. But that is really the only time I am focused on moving through the mountains as quickly as possible. Generally with races I take time in my warmup and cooldown to soak some of that in. 

But in training, I TOTALLY soak it in. I stop, take pictures, take time to turn around and look behind me (if you don't you can often miss some spectacular views) As it turns out, going up is really hard and you WILL get a workout in, even if you stop to smell the roses.

Also. in regard to your link or other FKT's (fastest known time) attempts...those aren't really my thing and it's specifically because of the reasons you are asking about. I like to run-summit mountains which in contrast to hiking IS faster but I am always sure to capitalize on the views and experiences. It's part of the reason I hesitate to sign up for a lot of longer trail races in scenic locations and would prefer to just run the course at a recreational pace.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-07-08 11:12 AM

2015-07-08 11:29 AM

User image

Denver, CO

In a race, yeah, you don't get to really enjoy it the way I like to. But that is really the only time I am focused on moving through the mountains as quickly as possible. Generally with races I take time in my warmup and cooldown to soak some of that in. 

But in training, I TOTALLY soak it in. I stop, take pictures, take time to turn around and look behind me (if you don't you can often miss some spectacular views) As it turns out, going up is really hard and you WILL get a workout in, even if you stop to smell the roses.

Also. in regard to your link or other FKT's (fastest known time) attempts...those aren't really my thing and it's specifically because of the reasons you are asking about. I like to run-summit mountains which in contrast to hiking IS faster but I am always sure to capitalize on the views and experiences. It's part of the reason I hesitate to sign up for a lot of longer trail races in scenic locations and would prefer to just run the course at a recreational pace.

I wondered about that.  Seems like this guy is so goal-oriented that the experience would be focused on the speed and strategy rather than the venue.  Seems like a waste to me, but then I'm more interested in venue than speed.  Not being a speedster helps me eliminate that as a motivator.

2015-07-08 11:30 AM

User image

Seattle

Also, Mary, I should mention that I have ADD (in case no one picked up on that LOL) and quite frankly running up a mountain vs hiking suits me a little better

2015-07-08 11:42 AM

User image

Seattle

I wondered about that.  Seems like this guy is so goal-oriented that the experience would be focused on the speed and strategy rather than the venue.  Seems like a waste to me, but then I'm more interested in venue than speed.  Not being a speedster helps me eliminate that as a motivator.

But that is also the beautiful thing, we all do these events for different reasons and those reasons tend to be pretty well accommodated.

2015-07-08 12:24 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'll have to file this away in the back of my mind for if I am ever in the area.  Seems to be a beer renaissance going on around the country.  We have a beer trail in our town that is fairly well established.  There is a tourist map available that you can have each location stamp a box and upon completion the chamber of commerce awards a commerative pint glass.  It has sixteen stops on it.  I have been planning a one day attempt to hit them all with some friends. 

2015-07-08 12:26 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never been very flexible. I've also not seen much data that suggests it's very important for running so I don't do much to address it. I think it's more important for swimming (if I recall ankles? Shoulders? ) and of course if it's limiting you in some way, you can certainly work on it. But I really hesitate to put much time into it.

I've seen more about rephrasing this. It's not more is better, but is there enough in the right areas. Contortionists are like wet noodles. Not as much stability and the harder to see spring tension. When built up right, the tension still in there can help return some energy. Part of where some really good runners seem to just bounce right along. It's not as far off as one might think, to some extent at least. Kangaroos really ramp up the idea.

Swimmers have some of that idea too, and yes, in those areas especially. The difference in swimming is that the motions at the extremities is so different from anything else one might normally do during the day that there often needs to be an emphasis made on it. What else has your arms going overhead at such angles? What else has feet bending backwards so much? Running is a much more natural motion so it doesn't take nearly as much to get enough range of motion for a more optimal stride.

2015-07-08 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never been very flexible. I've also not seen much data that suggests it's very important for running so I don't do much to address it. I think it's more important for swimming (if I recall ankles? Shoulders? ) and of course if it's limiting you in some way, you can certainly work on it. But I really hesitate to put much time into it.

OTOH, I find that if I do yoga regularly, I feel better and it enhances both enjoyment and performance when I bike and run.  I find that I have to do some sort of warm up stretch, especially spinal twists, before I swim.  Things just go better if I do that as opposed to get up> drive to pool > swim.

Just today, I ran across this article, 3 Simple Tips for Staying Healthy, which lists post workout stretching as one of three injury prevention techniques.

And for the record, the thing that I hate about yoga is the fact that I am always the least bendy person there.  Sadly un-Gumby like :-(

2015-07-08 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

OTOH, I find that if I do yoga regularly, I feel better and it enhances both enjoyment and performance when I bike and run.  I find that I have to do some sort of warm up stretch, especially spinal twists, before I swim.  Things just go better if I do that as opposed to get up> drive to pool > swim.

Just today, I ran across this article, 3 Simple Tips for Staying Healthy, which lists post workout stretching as one of three injury prevention techniques.

And for the record, the thing that I hate about yoga is the fact that I am always the least bendy person there.  Sadly un-Gumby like :-(

I had this discussion with our physical fitness coordinator at work a few months ago. He is also an endurance runner. We were discussing the fact that he and I do great on the fitness standards for everything (situps, pushups, run, bmi) except the flexibility. The thing is that some people, my partner for instance, focus more on flexebility than strength.  Having more strength and mass to the muscles will, by nature, limit the flexibility. 

2015-07-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I've seen more about rephrasing this. It's not more is better, but is there enough in the right areas. Contortionists are like wet noodles. Not as much stability and the harder to see spring tension. When built up right, the tension still in there can help return some energy. Part of where some really good runners seem to just bounce right along. It's not as far off as one might think, to some extent at least. Kangaroos really ramp up the idea.

Swimmers have some of that idea too, and yes, in those areas especially. The difference in swimming is that the motions at the extremities is so different from anything else one might normally do during the day that there often needs to be an emphasis made on it. What else has your arms going overhead at such angles? What else has feet bending backwards so much? Running is a much more natural motion so it doesn't take nearly as much to get enough range of motion for a more optimal stride.

That's an interesting comment. I am reading a book right now http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Born-Heroes-Mastered-Endurance/dp/0307594963(same dude who wrote born to run) but he was talking about how Bruce Lee uses the more spring like energy in fascia rather than sheer muscular strength. 

2015-07-08 6:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

That's an interesting comment. I am reading a book right now http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Born-Heroes-Mastered-Endurance/dp/0307594963(same dude who wrote born to run) but he was talking about how Bruce Lee uses the more spring like energy in fascia rather than sheer muscular strength. 

Might find some more interesting things from this spot on in a thread over here. Well, amongst all the other bickering. (Yanti, you've been warned on this one!) Namely this video and this blog post.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66602 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28040 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11843 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37261 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66310 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.