General Discussion Triathlon Talk » who here has suffered from bunions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-01 8:38 PM

User image

Subject: who here has suffered from bunions?
I noticed a bunion on my right foot about a year ago. It doesn't really hurt, but the bone juts out a little to the left and I have read that eventually the big toe shifts towards the right in compensation. I can already see this happening a bit. I have given up wearing heels as I think my obligatory 4 inch stilettos had something to do with this development. (I didn't see much choice due to my 5 feet no inch stature, but now I realize mobility and lack of pain is much more important than fashion or the illusion of being of normal height.)

My doctor told me that running is good for the blood pressure, the heart, and maintaining bone density, but that it wouldn't do my bunion any favors.
How do you handle bunions? Does it limit the amount of running you do? I only run between 12 - 15 miles a week and really have no desire to increase mileage as I compete only in 5 and 10ks. I am hoping that keeping a handle on my mileage will preserve my feet longer than if I regularly run, say, 40mpw.

What say you people with imperfect feet?!? I know you are out there!

2015-06-01 9:40 PM
in reply to: Caroleena

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: who here has suffered from bunions?

I have horrible feet. I have had a bunion on my left foot for years. Yes my toe does not point straight anymore. There was a period a few years ago when I was building mileage for a HIM that it burned painfully when I ran but I changed shoes and that stopped. My sister does not run and has bunions more pronounced than mine on both feet. My aunt had to have surgery on her bunions- again not a runner. I guess I don't think whether or not I run is a determining factor on the severity of my bunions. I just try not to cause myself pain and discomfort. I have not run very much at all this year due to other foot issues, the bunion is the least of my worries. I have the same philosophy though - I'd rather run a little as long as a I can!

2015-06-02 5:27 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Thanks! I'm glad to know just having a bunion won't necessarily keep me from running.
2015-06-02 6:45 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Danielson Ct
Originally posted by trigal38

I have horrible feet. I have had a bunion on my left foot for years. Yes my toe does not point straight anymore. There was a period a few years ago when I was building mileage for a HIM that it burned painfully when I ran but I changed shoes and that stopped. My sister does not run and has bunions more pronounced than mine on both feet. My aunt had to have surgery on her bunions- again not a runner. I guess I don't think whether or not I run is a determining factor on the severity of my bunions. I just try not to cause myself pain and discomfort. I have not run very much at all this year due to other foot issues, the bunion is the least of my worries. I have the same philosophy though - I'd rather run a little as long as a I can!

Make sure there bunions. I thought I had them and went to the doc in December. X ray showed 5 bone spurs around the big toe and no cartilage left in the toe. My one option is to have it all cut out and have the toe fused. Not what I expected to hear. Went for a second opinion and the same thing. So when I eventually get sick and tired of the pain, luckily not that bad yet I'll take the 12 weeks out of work. Until then I have a 1/2 iron in 3 weeks. The docs aren't in my training plan. Although both of them said " see you soon".
2015-06-02 8:44 PM
in reply to: #5119767

I have a bunion on my right foot and have run 3 full marathons, 1 HIM, unknown number of half- marathons

Several years ago it seemed like it was getting worse so I went to a podiatrist for advice. I chose one who I knew to be a triathlete because I didn't want an automatic "just don't run". I mean, if I quit running why do I need my feet, right?

She gave me two recommendations:
1. Use an insert to control pronation. I have a preference for Superfeet.
2. Use a metatarsal pad on the insert, a little to the inside of the ball of your foot.

I have had no problems since then.
2015-06-03 7:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I have a bunion on my right foot, happened on a 1 1/2 long ski trip 20 years ago. The big toe is not perfectly straight anymore but not too bad. I took up Triathlons and running in 2007, and it has not effected it at all. I've several HIM all distance runs and a have a IM in a couple weeks- still no effect. I think it depends on the person, but any Dr. that says inactivity is better than activity I have no time for.

By the way 5 ft is a great height for women!

2015-06-03 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My five ft tall wife has not yet given up the heels, but is going lower than before on the heel length, for the comfort and future walkability reasons. She seems to really like platforms now, but I digress.

In so far as bunions are concerned, I had them, had surgery to get them removed about 15 years ago, have pins in both feet and have been running for the last 4-5 years without a problem. So, if you get them removed, it may not do anything other than force you to rest with your feet up for a week, then slowly return to running.

2015-06-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: Prince87

User image

Originally posted by Prince87

I have a bunion on my right foot and have run 3 full marathons, 1 HIM, unknown number of half- marathons

Several years ago it seemed like it was getting worse so I went to a podiatrist for advice. I chose one who I knew to be a triathlete because I didn't want an automatic "just don't run". I mean, if I quit running why do I need my feet, right?

She gave me two recommendations:
1. Use an insert to control pronation. I have a preference for Superfeet.
2. Use a metatarsal pad on the insert, a little to the inside of the ball of your foot.

I have had no problems since then.

Awesome recommendations! Thanks.
2015-06-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

I have a bunion on my right foot, happened on a 1 1/2 long ski trip 20 years ago. The big toe is not perfectly straight anymore but not too bad. I took up Triathlons and running in 2007, and it has not effected it at all. I've several HIM all distance runs and a have a IM in a couple weeks- still no effect. I think it depends on the person, but any Dr. that says inactivity is better than activity I have no time for.

By the way 5 ft is a great height for women!

Thanks!
2015-06-03 8:41 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

My five ft tall wife has not yet given up the heels, but is going lower than before on the heel length, for the comfort and future walkability reasons. She seems to really like platforms now, but I digress.

In so far as bunions are concerned, I had them, had surgery to get them removed about 15 years ago, have pins in both feet and have been running for the last 4-5 years without a problem. So, if you get them removed, it may not do anything other than force you to rest with your feet up for a week, then slowly return to running.

Are you happy you got your bunions removed? Did you do that because of the pain or the severity of the problem? I've seen some pictures of extreme cases and they look pretty serious.
2015-06-04 7:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by cdban66

My wife has severe bunions and "soft bones" so multiple surgeries on both feet and counting..

She has plates and pins in each foot and the bunions keep coming back.  She held off having surgery until she started developing hammer toe and could no longer avoid it.  Unfortunately for her it's been one surgery after another for years.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from surgery, I'm just pointing out it unfortunately doesn't always solve things... 

One of our daughters is developing them in her early 20's and we've asked about prevention/inserts/staying away from certain shoes etc., however we haven't found anything concrete.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » who here has suffered from bunions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running shoes for bunion suffers Pages: 1 2

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 12620 Posts: 28

2018-08-21 1:32 PM Tri-Ing26

Any long distance runners have bunions?

Started by irondreams
Views: 826 Posts: 1

2008-12-13 2:18 PM irondreams

First phase to suffer after 6 weeks off?

Started by Bcozican
Views: 1132 Posts: 16

2005-11-02 7:14 AM possum

Learning to suffer

Started by satchmo72
Views: 684 Posts: 5

2004-09-13 4:05 PM satchmo72

Bunions??

Started by JoM
Views: 1449 Posts: 7

2004-03-17 12:01 AM JoM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Painful bunions are notoriously difficult to treat. There is a lack of strong scientific evidence to make any definitive recommendations but there are a few things you can do.

date : May 21, 2007
author : katzchen55
comments : 11
If you are suffering from depression like me, take heart - you are not alone. You can use exercise and triathlon training as depression therapy.
date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.

date : May 16, 2005
author : bflrich
Many plateaus are actually resistance to accept that what used to work doesn’t carry the same bang anymore. Keep pushing and let yourself sweat. Don’t try to be comfortable, embrace the suffering.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.