General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM special needs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-06-18 9:33 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: IM special needs
what have I not thought about?

Bike special needs- I live off of Gu's and Gatorade, so I just plan on a replenishment of those at special needs. ( I ride several centuries a year)

Run special needs- I was just planning on some Gu's there. I read somewhere about duct tape for blisters? anything else? ( I've only run 1 marathon before)

2015-06-18 9:42 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: IM special needs
Disclaimer: I have not done an IM. I do obsessively read the blogs of those who do, though

Several people mention putting extra socks, especially in the Run SN bag. Another things I have read is packets of advil, immodium, etc.
2015-06-18 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mike761 what have I not thought about? Bike special needs- I live off of Gu's and Gatorade, so I just plan on a replenishment of those at special needs. ( I ride several centuries a year) Run special needs- I was just planning on some Gu's there. I read somewhere about duct tape for blisters? anything else? ( I've only run 1 marathon before)

I have an IM under my belt and I know what I will put in each bag for IM #2.

Bike Special needs: Think about something other than GU's, I used bite size Payday (didn't melt and crackers w/PB) it was nice to have something to eat besides GU, also might think about more sunscreen, advil, tums just in case it is needed.

Run Special needs: A lot of the same, although there are more resources on the run than the bike, so I would not go with as much food stuff unless there is something you really want, but I would put in band-aids, fresh socks, headlight (just in case in gets really dark) tums, advil. I would rather have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Some people even have family members write notes and stick in their bags to read...

2015-06-18 10:14 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Bike

• I usually put a spare tube and c02 in bike special needs. If I blow through the one I carry on my bike on the first half, I sure want one to carry with me for the 2nd half. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.
  • I used to put something to "look forward" to here (Payday for me as well) but now I just carry in my Bento box and wait till special needs to eat it.
  • I've also put sunscreen in there in case I notice a hot spot burning on me (as I did on my 1st). At my last IM, special needs volunteers had sunscreen - not sure they do at all IMs though.

Run

• Dry socks, Body Glide, long sleeved shirt - all "just in case" things but ones that if I really need them I'm going to be so glad they were there.
  • Snacks I can't find on the course - for me it's tootsie rolls and salt/vinegar chips (just a single serve bag). Both have really hit the spot for me in the past, depending on what I'm craving at the moment. Some folks will throw in a favorite soda or redbull for an extra kick. 
2015-06-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Bike

• I usually put a spare tube and c02 in bike special needs. If I blow through the one I carry on my bike on the first half, I sure want one to carry with me for the 2nd half. Not likely, but stranger things have happened.
  • I used to put something to "look forward" to here (Payday for me as well) but now I just carry in my Bento box and wait till special needs to eat it.
  • I've also put sunscreen in there in case I notice a hot spot burning on me (as I did on my 1st). At my last IM, special needs volunteers had sunscreen - not sure they do at all IMs though.

Run

• Dry socks, Body Glide, long sleeved shirt - all "just in case" things but ones that if I really need them I'm going to be so glad they were there.
  • Snacks I can't find on the course - for me it's tootsie rolls and salt/vinegar chips (just a single serve bag). Both have really hit the spot for me in the past, depending on what I'm craving at the moment. Some folks will throw in a favorite soda or redbull for an extra kick. 

This is right on. I have a few more items in my run special needs bag: long sleeve shirt (depending on the weather and some races it cools off quite alot after the sun goes down), dry running shirt in case your top is super soaked by that time, more 'down under" lubricant or whatever you may need to keep the plumbing happy during the run (yes, TMI, but if you don't have some...you have the potential for a super big ouch the next day), a dry running hat, and dry socks (very impt!).

I would err on the side of having too much ('just in case stuff') rather than too little for your first IM. You'll learn what works and what doesn't so you can apply those lessons for IM #2, but for #1, go a big heavy rather than light for your special needs bags.

2015-06-18 11:47 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Bike S/N: nothing

Run S/N: nothing

There are a lot of people who feel like since it is offered, they should take advantage of it.  But IMs are typically highly catered along the way and you should really only need S/N if you really have special needs.  Living off gu and Gatorade, you should have enough with you and at aid stations combined that you don't need to stop.  The only thing I would consider in the run bag would be a long sleeve if you thought you could be out after dark and expected it to cool off quite a bit.  Everyone says dry socks and I imagine some have a story of when they were happy to have them.  But about the last thing I want to do in a race is sit down and change my socks.  If it's wet & rainy, the "dry" socks won't stay that way long enough to matter to me.

2015-06-18 12:18 PM

User image

In two IMs I've put all the standard stuff in special needs bags.  Never stopped on the bike.  For the run, only thing I ever stopped for, and it was the best ever, was a small bottle of mouthwash (like the ones you get in hotels), like a little slice of heaven after 8 hours of sugary sports drink and gels

2015-06-18 12:22 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Bike: Spare c02 and tube. Probably not needed and throwing away $10/race if I don't need them isn't the worst thing I've done.
Run: Nothing

There should be no reason to put GUs in these bags. More so with the run since there's normally an aid station every mile and GUs are at every 1-2 aid stations. I could see maybe some socks and spare shoes for the run bag if it's raining and the rain stops but how are you going to know that?
2015-06-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Exton, PA

On the bike I may be able to get all GU's into my bento box Then I can just grab drinks along the way and not have to stop. I really don't want to stop on the bike ( I like to stay in my pain cave undisturbed I may put a spare tube in S/N just in case.

The run- I will change socks in T2 - can't really imagine sitting down and changing half way through the run. I don't run with a hat or sunglasses. The event has Vasiline at every aid station. If I am not done by the time it gets dark something went big time wrong. The run is on the boardwalk so if it starts getting dark there will be plenty of light.
I am thinking I might need something in case of shafing or blisters- whats the best thing to slap on fast? that may be the only real thing I put in S/N. Even then I have to be bleeding or I won't stop- I'm in the old school of Suck it up and keep moving.
2015-06-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Blastman

Run: Nothing There should be no reason to put GUs in these bags. More so with the run since there's normally an aid station every mile and GUs are at every 1-2 aid stations.

Some of our stomachs don't take certain GU flavors very well. And those always seem to be the only flavors on the course when I'm out there! I know 3 flavors work for me every time, so I carry those or put them in my SN bags. I'd rather have the guarantee of a GU I know I can swallow, rather than risk my entire run nutrition plan on an unknown. Ya know?

And for those folks who can't stomach GU but can stomach another brand, that would certainly be a good reason to supply their own.

2015-06-18 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I put a slice of pizza in my Bike SN bag......Did the trick!

Run SN- I did socks, body glide and a long sleeve shirt/short sleeve shirt. I did a change because I knew it was going to be cool on the 2nd lap

2015-06-18 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
bear in mind, you may not get your special needs bag(s) back after the race.

I never have used my special needs bags but did prepare a few.

mostly what others have said...nothing exotic.

if you think you'll be running after dark, a light is good in the run special needs. it isn't fun running in the dark, and from my experience, the roads are really dark. although the aid stations usually have some form of light. sometimes they give you a glow necklance, but they are fairly worthless.

other than that it's sort of "incentive" bags. bike bag might come in handy if you are down a tube or CO2.
2015-06-18 5:16 PM

User image

Bike special needs I put in a tube and co2 and a single size pack of chamois butt'r. I also have nutrition because I carry my own and usually a snickers. I keep it in a refrigerated bag so it doesn't melt. I know I'm not getting that back. In chattanooga I went through all that hassle and didn't even want the snickers. Oh well.

Run ... practically nothing. A little glide thing (sample size), a few handy wipes to wipe all the crusty salt off me, a travel size kleenex pack because the port-o-potties are sometimes out of the tp, and a travel size tums. I always feel weird handing in my bag because it's basically empty.

I put mouthwash in my transition bags. I just want to say I cannot agree more with the other poster who put this. It is like a bit of heaven after 6 hours of infinit.

Have fun and good luck!
2015-06-18 5:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Blastman

Run: Nothing There should be no reason to put GUs in these bags. More so with the run since there's normally an aid station every mile and GUs are at every 1-2 aid stations.

Some of our stomachs don't take certain GU flavors very well. And those always seem to be the only flavors on the course when I'm out there! I know 3 flavors work for me every time, so I carry those or put them in my SN bags. I'd rather have the guarantee of a GU I know I can swallow, rather than risk my entire run nutrition plan on an unknown. Ya know?

And for those folks who can't stomach GU but can stomach another brand, that would certainly be a good reason to supply their own.

Ok. I can see that. During my first marathon I grabbed a GU, opened it and it was one of those nasty nasty coffee ones. It felt like I was eating pure coffee grinds (not a coffee drinker). If that's the only one they had on the IM course I'd probably have to resort to stealing candy from a spectator...likely from a baby.
2015-06-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Exton, PA
Thanks for all the ideas.

I've decided what I'm actually going with:

Bike S/N-- nothing all my gu's fit in my bento, and I can grab drinks along the way at the aid stations.

Run S/N-- 2 snack packs of chips, a couple band-aids, and tape for blisters.
2015-06-19 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Last year in Louisville, my feet were sore and soaked from sweat. The socks in my special needs bag saved me. It felt so good to put some dry socks on to finish the bike leg of the IM.

2015-06-19 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

A spare tube and CO2 for the bike is all I would do, on the odd chance I use one prior to that.

2015-06-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

A spare tube and CO2 for the bike is all I would do, on the odd chance I use one prior to that.

I will already have 2 spare tubes wedged under my seat and 3 co2 bottles. More than that seems like over kill.
2015-06-19 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5123331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
I'm with Johnny. I don't use special needs. I don't need it.
2015-06-19 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mike761

I will already have 2 spare tubes wedged under my seat and 3 co2 bottles. More than that seems like over kill.

I agree but what if you double flat in the first half?  Having it there doesn't mean you have to stop for it but it would certainly be nice to have the option in the unlikely scenario you need it.

2015-06-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Exton, PA

I agree but what if you double flat in the first half?  Having it there doesn't mean you have to stop for it but it would certainly be nice to have the option in the unlikely scenario you need it.

I hear you, but I have only had 2 flats in the last 5 years of riding! hard to get my head around 3 in a day.

2015-06-19 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mike761 On the bike I may be able to get all GU's into my bento box Then I can just grab drinks along the way and not have to stop. I really don't want to stop on the bike ( I like to stay in my pain cave undisturbed I may put a spare tube in S/N just in case. The run- I will change socks in T2 - can't really imagine sitting down and changing half way through the run. I don't run with a hat or sunglasses. The event has Vasiline at every aid station. If I am not done by the time it gets dark something went big time wrong. The run is on the boardwalk so if it starts getting dark there will be plenty of light. I am thinking I might need something in case of shafing or blisters- whats the best thing to slap on fast? that may be the only real thing I put in S/N. Even then I have to be bleeding or I won't stop- I'm in the old school of Suck it up and keep moving.

We bought this pack of single use cream called 'Slather'  - i didn't use any but my hubby used it on the run and raves about it how it made him feel so much better at IMMT

Found it: http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Chafing-Eliminates-Friction-Chafing-Convenient/dp/B00GPZ9YEC 

We actually bought it in the Ironman Merchandise tent 

2015-06-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I hear you, but I have only had 2 flats in the last 5 years of riding! hard to get my head around 3 in a day.

Sorta like gearing?   Better to have a gear you don't need than need a gear you don't have......I mean you can take that philosophy to the extreme, and likely you'd find someone to give you a tube...maybe... or the sag wagon would eventually show up.  But it would be a shame to DNF something you've put so many hours in for something as easy as tossing a $4 tube in a bag.  In my IMs I carried two tubes and had one in SN, never needed to stop.  I always got mine back however (but wouldn't care if I didn't).

Edited by ChrisM 2015-06-19 1:56 PM
2015-06-19 1:56 PM

User image

well, now you've just jinxed it  

2015-06-19 2:49 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by ChrisM

Sorta like gearing?   Better to have a gear you don't need than need a gear you don't have......I mean you can take that philosophy to the extreme, and likely you'd find someone to give you a tube...maybe... or the sag wagon would eventually show up.  But it would be a shame to DNF something you've put so many hours in for something as easy as tossing a $4 tube in a bag.  In my IMs I carried two tubes and had one in SN, never needed to stop.  I always got mine back however (but wouldn't care if I didn't).

I want to hear just one story about someone who went through all their spare kit in the first half of their IM, stopped at S/N for their extra, and then used it in the 2H of the IM and it kept them from DNF.  I get the anxiety and that it seems like a small investment for 'peace of mind'.  I just think that peace of mind is sort of ephemeral if you really look at the likelihood of that scenario playing out--(I've yet to hear of a single instance but imagine it must have happened?).  There are so many other things that could go wrong, it's funny to me that planning to solve this one little low probability one makes people feel better.  But if $4 buys someone peace of mind, then it's money well spent! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM special needs Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

How does special needs work for IM

Started by cstoulil
Views: 703 Posts: 5

2012-08-20 11:26 AM lisac957

Special Needs Bag

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 635 Posts: 6

2007-05-16 8:03 AM KenyonTri

Glasses @ Special Needs Table

Started by stevenrh
Views: 567 Posts: 2

2005-06-20 4:22 PM ellismichael

Hey whats with special needs bags

Started by royj
Views: 868 Posts: 7

2004-08-06 1:30 PM madcow

transition bags and special needs bags

Started by montyb
Views: 1006 Posts: 2

2004-03-02 7:46 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.

date : September 22, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 2
A special tribute to a very special BT'er. We miss you. Thanks for continuing to inspire us.
date : September 15, 2004
author : tboepple
comments : 0
Women / Masters / Special Needs - Lauren Maule, Diane Proud, Tom Rodgers

date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
comments : 1
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.