General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-06-29 8:25 PM

Subject: Wetsuit shorts
I've got some wetsuit shorts, I think they're a combination of 3mm and 1mm, but they're too effective! I'm cheating myself. I'd still like to wear something that gives me a small amount of buoyancy, but not as much as I'm getting. Are there any shorts out there that are 1mm throughout or even a mix of neoprene and lycra?

2015-07-08 7:15 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

New user

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Wetsuit shorts
Not that I know of however skinsuits work well. They don't give you great bouyancy per say but the materials used repel the water very very well!
2015-07-08 8:01 AM

Are you using them for training? That is what I gathered from your post. If so, what is the purpose of the swim shorts in your training, i.e.-what is it that you want to accomplish by wearing the shorts?
2015-07-08 1:00 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not sure what the point of moderately buoyant neoprene shorts would be. The general idea is that they either a) simulate a wetsuit (allowing you to prepare for an upcoming wetsuit-legal race in the pool) and/or b) accomplish something similar to a pullbuoy (allowing you to isolate your upper body more). Either way, I feel like a moderately buoyant short would not be as effective for either of those purposes. There's a reason they make them as buoyant as they are.
2015-07-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Regular
Slightly off topic, but are these shorts legal in races, even if its not wetsuit legal? being that they are essentially a swimsuit, I would assume they are, but I dont want to assume......
2015-07-08 1:53 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

New user

I was wondering too. The BlueSeventy Core-Shorts I have tried were 5mm, thus do not exceed the USAT wetsuit thickness limit of 5mm. However, I've never seen anybody using at a race yet.

I think people use them more as a pull-buoy. It doesn't require you to keep your legs tight together and are just as buoyant in my opinion.

2015-07-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: EnzoA

User image

Regular
Originally posted by EnzoA

I was wondering too. The BlueSeventy Core-Shorts I have tried were 5mm, thus do not exceed the USAT wetsuit thickness limit of 5mm. However, I've never seen anybody using at a race yet.

I think people use them more as a pull-buoy. It doesn't require you to keep your legs tight together and are just as buoyant in my opinion.

Right, but if I get the bouyancy benefit in a wetsuit illegal race, I would take the benefit.
2015-07-08 2:42 PM

User image

New user

Oh so would I !!! I don't know what the rules are though... They're not wetsuits so technically you're fine, but since they do add such buoyancy they might fall under the Wetsuit category, like Lava Pants would. Wetsuits were legal at the last 70.3 I did (Challenge AC), however Lava Pants weren't. Core Shorts are shorter Lava Pants...
Now I'm very curious about all of this! Anybody out there knows???
2015-07-08 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by EnzoA Oh so would I !!! I don't know what the rules are though... They're not wetsuits so technically you're fine, but since they do add such buoyancy they might fall under the Wetsuit category, like Lava Pants would. Wetsuits were legal at the last 70.3 I did (Challenge AC), however Lava Pants weren't. Core Shorts are shorter Lava Pants... Now I'm very curious about all of this! Anybody out there knows???

I do not understand why Lava pants would not be legal in a wetsuit legal race.  Challenge AC says in their athlete guide they follow USAT rules for wetsuits.  Xterra claims they are USAT legal.  I find nothing else specific on USAT website.  I guess race director always has some discretion on specific issues but I don't get it.  Old rules used to say wetsuit pants were not a wetsuit but apparently that language has been changed.

Edited by popsracer 2015-07-08 3:31 PM
2015-07-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: #5125661

User image

Franklin, TN
You cannot wear wetsuit shorts (I.e. Roka Sim shorts, etc...) if the water is not wetsuit legal. Wearing of wetsuit shorts follow the same rules regarding water temps as do full wetsuits.
2015-07-08 7:33 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JoelO

You cannot wear wetsuit shorts (I.e. Roka Sim shorts, etc...) if the water is not wetsuit legal. Wearing of wetsuit shorts follow the same rules regarding water temps as do full wetsuits.

I kind of thought that, but wonder why that is. My assumption was that a full wetsuit above a certain temp would be a health risk, hence the reason for being illegal. But the shorts would not present that problem, so I wonder what the reasoning is behind that.

2015-07-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5127562

User image

Franklin, TN
It would give an unfair advantage to those that wore them. It's a flotation device (much like a pull buoy) ... people wearing them (or using a pull buoy) wouldn't have to kick as much and would most likely be 5 or so seconds per 100 faster than without.
2015-07-08 9:40 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm pretty sure that they are not legal unless the race is wetsuit-legal. I asked an RD once about wearing a neoprene/lycra blend rashguard top (really thin, maybe 3 mm?) over my trisuit in a race which was not judged to be wetsuit legal, although temps were probably close to or below the temp for that in US races (race in central Vietnam with unseasonably cold water conditions) and was told that NO items with material aiding buoyancy (i.e. neoprene) were allowed; if I wore it I would not be eligible for AG awards. Speedsuits were allowed if they were fabric only (no neoprene). My understanding is that the RD was following USAT rules.
2015-07-09 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by EnzoA Oh so would I !!! I don't know what the rules are though... They're not wetsuits so technically you're fine, but since they do add such buoyancy they might fall under the Wetsuit category, like Lava Pants would. Wetsuits were legal at the last 70.3 I did (Challenge AC), however Lava Pants weren't. Core Shorts are shorter Lava Pants... Now I'm very curious about all of this! Anybody out there knows???

You're incorrect.  Xterra Lava Pants, Roka Sim Shorts, and the like are 100% considered wetsuits as far as the USAT, WTC, ITU, or whoever's rules are concerned.

I'm also 100% certain you misunderstood or misinterpreted what was said at Challenge AC.

2015-07-09 7:35 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

New user

Crap, typo! I meant to say that the lava pants WERE NOT allowed when the race was not wetsuit legal.
2015-07-09 7:40 AM

User image

New user

Originally posted by EnzoA

Oh so would I !!! I don't know what the rules are though... They're not wetsuits so technically you're fine, but since they do add such buoyancy they might fall under the Wetsuit category, like Lava Pants would. Wetsuits were legal at the last 70.3 I did (Challenge AC), however Lava Pants weren't. Core Shorts are shorter Lava Pants...
Now I'm very curious about all of this! Anybody out there knows???

EDIT: I MEANT TO SAY THAT IF A RACE IS NOT WETSUIT LEGAL, IT WILL NOT BE LAVA PANTS LEGAL. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!!

2015-07-09 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Now we're making sense. 

2015-07-09 9:25 AM
in reply to: #5127602

User image

Regular
I get that it's a floatation device and I'd kick less, but using the same logic a Tri bike is faster than a metal bike, so why are they legal? Just a thought.....
2015-07-09 9:29 AM

User image

New user

yeah my bad!
2015-07-09 9:32 AM

User image

New user

I'm sorry if I confused everyone on one of my previous replies. I meant to say that Lava Pants were NOT legal when wetsuits were NOT legal. Same rules apply to wetsuits, pants and coreshorts.
If wetsuits aren't legal, people wearing pants and coreshorts would have an advantage over everyone else.

Sorry, It's totally my bad on confusing everyone!
2015-07-09 9:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by hessma I get that it's a floatation device and I'd kick less, but using the same logic a Tri bike is faster than a metal bike, so why are they legal? Just a thought.....

The primary intention of a wetsuit was actually for insulation, or to keep warm in colder water. It has the additional benefit of being faster. The much smaller shorts and pants tend to focus much more on the latter part as they provide much less coverage.

2015-07-09 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
ITU has a rule about wetsuit bottoms only not being allowed in wetsuit legal conditions...
2015-07-09 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by hessma

I get that it's a floatation device and I'd kick less, but using the same logic a Tri bike is faster than a metal bike, so why are they legal? Just a thought.....

Metal bike.... vs Tri Bike? This statement makes no sense. What makes a tri bike a tri bike is not the frame material but the frame geometry... plenty of aluminum and ti tri bikes out there, even steel ones.
2015-07-09 9:46 PM
in reply to: 5stones

Originally posted by 5stones

Are you using them for training? That is what I gathered from your post. If so, what is the purpose of the swim shorts in your training, i.e.-what is it that you want to accomplish by wearing the shorts?

I originally got them as I had a lot of problems with my buoyancy, legs dropping etc I swim in a squad and my times have dropped a reasonable amount. But in my mind I'm cheating myself. I'd like a little bit of assistance with my buoyancy when swimming (training), but not as much as the shorts currently give me. I think they are 3mm/5mm. I'll go back to bathers at some point, just not quite ready yet ha ha
2015-07-09 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Bathers? Must be an Aussie?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit shorts Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit/bike shorts/tri shorts

Started by femanual
Views: 1887 Posts: 13

2010-10-18 9:05 PM Flapjack

Budget short wetsuits?

Started by jflongo
Views: 782 Posts: 13

2010-08-19 12:58 PM mchubri`

short sleeve wetsuits?

Started by sblancha4
Views: 712 Posts: 4

2010-06-15 10:15 AM Kevin_MS

Running Shorts Under Wetsuit

Started by andysrc
Views: 1443 Posts: 6

2009-06-12 6:17 PM JohnAgs3

wetsuit - long sleeve vs short

Started by chi-fire
Views: 8876 Posts: 10

2007-06-13 7:03 AM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
comments : 1
Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 4, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.