General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my new aero position? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-09 8:15 AM

Subject: Critique my new aero position?
Hey everyone,

I just recently did my first race (motor city sprint ~2-3 weeks ago, turned a 1:35, which I'm planning on improving significantly) and loved it. as I start to ramp up my training for my next race, I decided to buy a set of aero bars for my felt Z5. After some searching I ended up with a nice "used" (display model) zipp vuka alumina s-bends. After some setup, a couple rides and a lot of research, I've been toying with the idea of buying a 0 offset/forward offset seatpost to get into a more aero position. A handful of posts here, and elsewhere have sort of discouraged me from doing so. With that all said, I decided to mess with the setup of my bars, and am bringing them a good bit closer to myself to try and get a better position without sacrificing fit. I THINK I'm not too far off from where I need to be, but I'd be interested to see if anyone on here could tell me if I'm OK, or if I need to do anything else. Only thing left that I could really do is move some spacers around and drop my stem. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/KzVPR2D.jpg
and
http://i.imgur.com/tHcq6wr.jpg

Thanks for any input!

2015-07-09 8:28 AM
in reply to: zeoalex

Subject: RE: Critique my new aero position?
Originally posted by zeoalex

Hey everyone,

I just recently did my first race (motor city sprint ~2-3 weeks ago, turned a 1:35, which I'm planning on improving significantly) and loved it. as I start to ramp up my training for my next race, I decided to buy a set of aero bars for my felt Z5. After some searching I ended up with a nice "used" (display model) zipp vuka alumina s-bends. After some setup, a couple rides and a lot of research, I've been toying with the idea of buying a 0 offset/forward offset seatpost to get into a more aero position. A handful of posts here, and elsewhere have sort of discouraged me from doing so. With that all said, I decided to mess with the setup of my bars, and am bringing them a good bit closer to myself to try and get a better position without sacrificing fit. I THINK I'm not too far off from where I need to be, but I'd be interested to see if anyone on here could tell me if I'm OK, or if I need to do anything else. Only thing left that I could really do is move some spacers around and drop my stem. Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/KzVPR2D.jpg
and
http://i.imgur.com/tHcq6wr.jpg

Thanks for any input!

everyone's flexibility is different so the picture doesn't really tell you anything. if you're comfortable and you're faster than it's a great set up. If your speed is the same (or even faster) but you have a lot more strain on your back shoulders etc so you are hurting, then it's a bad set up.
2015-07-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

you seat is too high. also really hard to tell in baggy clothing, wear your kit

2015-07-09 9:27 AM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
You can remove the plastic disc behind your cassette
2015-07-09 9:35 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Like dmiller said, your seat is too high. You should have a slight bend in your knee.

Have you taken it to an LBS for a fitting? They might also be able to give you some help with the bars.

Also, I hope you have a riser or something like it and a mat to put under your bike. Unless you want your carpet soaked with sweat!
2015-07-09 9:53 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

thanks for the input everyone!

When I bought the bike (in january) I had it fit at the LBS I bought it from. I haven't taken it back now that I have the bars (and since they didn't come from that shop I may not. If I were to do a pro-fit, I'd bring the bike to the local tri shop (LTS?) and have them do it.

when I get back from the office tonight I'll drop my seat a touch and actually put on tighter clothing (I was running off to a hockey game and that was the best chance I had to have someone take a picture, sorry!) and see what I can't do about getting another picture or two taken.

I do have a riser (see: unused college textbooks) and typically toss a towel under my bike

2015-07-15 1:15 PM

Alright...trying again now. I was finally home and had someone who could take a few pictures for me last night...I ended up slamming the stem down as low as I can

(don't mind the tapered spacer...I have new regular spacers in the mail to replace that with)

I didn't end up lowering my seat. I think the first set of pictures were at a funky angle, I think it's better now...if not, I'll Lower it a touch. But I think this is significantly better, and is pretty comfy (at least for a small trainer stint, I'm planning on getting out on it tomorrow afternoon for a bit)
2015-07-15 1:17 PM

Alright...trying again now. I was finally home and had someone who could take a few pictures for me last night...I ended up slamming the stem down as low as I can

(don't mind the tapered spacer...I have new regular spacers in the mail to replace that with)

I didn't end up lowering my seat. I think the first set of pictures were at a funky angle, I think it's better now...if not, I'll Lower it a touch. But I think this is significantly better, and is pretty comfy (at least for a small trainer stint, I'm planning on getting out on it tomorrow afternoon for a bit)

2015-07-15 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I would need to see you pedaling, but it still appears the seat is too high. I'm looking at your knee angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and the change in your back from that position to that foot being up -- tells me it's too high. Upper body looks pretty good, arms might be stretched out just a little, but it depends on how much you "choke up" on the bars when moving. It's a whole different thing on the road than on a trainer.

2015-07-15 3:17 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

seat is too high

2015-07-15 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5127654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Seat still way too high.

2015-07-15 4:26 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Originally posted by GMAN 19030 Seat still way too high.

Yeah...I'd drop it at least an inch to start with.  Probably will end up being more, but that would be a start.

2015-07-16 9:25 AM

User image

DC
Wondering if he would benefit from moving the seat forward (while DOWN).

I know you're not asking this, but man, aero positioning is so difficult... dollar for dollar, I really think it's the best investment in the quest for speed & comfort.
2015-07-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Are your arms too extended? I heard your elbows should be @ a 90 degree angle.

As for the seat height. I had one shop tell me that my toe should be pointing down to help initiate the pull and another tell me what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure which is right, but I think what everyone else is saying is more common. I still think toe pointing down is more comfortable for me, but I've never compared to see which one offers more power.
2015-07-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

DC
Originally posted by Lupy

As for the seat height. I had one shop tell me that my toe should be pointing down to help initiate the pull and another tell me what everyone else is saying. I'm not sure which is right, but I think what everyone else is saying is more common. I still think toe pointing down is more comfortable for me, but I've never compared to see which one offers more power.

Seems to me like toe pointing down would help on the pull, but I would think the forward "push" trumps the pull as far a maximum power transfer. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
2015-07-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: Lupy

I think they may be. I've moved the bars back a bunch and I may try to move them back some more. that was something I noticed quickly

interesting on that point. I'm going to try to move the seat down based on the feedback in the thread and see where that gets me.

2015-07-16 11:55 AM

User image

Tyler,

Move the seat forward and lower the seat a 1-2 mm to start. If you are experiencing saddle sores or too much pressure the seat is to high. Also only ride in tri shorts. The thick chamois in cycling shorts makes things worse with increase chafing and sores. Hope this helps!! 

2015-07-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: triritter

Originally posted by triritter

Move the seat forward and lower the seat a 1-2 mm to start. If you are experiencing saddle sores or too much pressure the seat is to high. Also only ride in tri shorts. The thick chamois in cycling shorts makes things worse with increase chafing and sores. Hope this helps!! 

I can do that!

my first ride out on the bars, I felt some added pressure in places I hadn't felt it before, but I figured that was more of an issue with the positioning than it was an issue with shorts. Very interesting. I've been wearing my tri shorts more than my bike shorts, so I'll continue that trend. Thanks!
2015-07-16 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

At your current fit, I think you would be more aero in your drops than the bars.  You're way too high in aero bars.

What's worse is you're already using a -16 stem and are still too high.  That combined with how stretched you are up front along with the issues getting the saddle low enough makes me think you should have gone a size smaller with this bike.

2015-07-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Porfirio

Originally posted by Lupy

Seems to me like toe pointing down would help on the pull, but I would think the forward "push" trumps the pull as far a maximum power transfer. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

just thinking out loud here, but... if the idea of the aero frame and position is to get the rider more rotated around the bb, would the leg/hip not be more ''forward' relative to the bb? Would this then not have the toe appear to be 'pointing down' when viewed in relation to the flat ground, but really the sole would still be flat/toe not pointing ''down'' because the angles have changed? I mean the foot would still be 'flat' and 'parallel' but in relation more to , say, the down tube....???

Just wonderin' aloud if there might be a difference in the relative toe position / ankle angle in the road position vs the aero position...

Apologies for the confusion of my post, I am not an engineer, never played one on TV, and am not a technical writer

2015-07-16 2:43 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by msteiner

At your current fit, I think you would be more aero in your drops than the bars.  You're way too high in aero bars.

What's worse is you're already using a -16 stem and are still too high.  That combined with how stretched you are up front along with the issues getting the saddle low enough makes me think you should have gone a size smaller with this bike.

agree, bike is too big

2015-07-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Tyler,

he should get a 5mm top cap by cobb cycling to drop his front end more. Also an adjustable stem that can go way down. 

Really - he just needs to get a hands on professional bike fit done with everything that is going on. 

2015-07-16 2:44 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

agree, bike is too big

The room is just small so it makes the bike look big.

2015-07-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dmiller5

agree, bike is too big

The room  Person is just small so it makes the bike look big.

fixed that for you ^

2015-07-16 2:49 PM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by triritter

he should get a 5mm top cap by cobb cycling to drop his front end more. Also an adjustable stem that can go way down. 

Really - he just needs to get a hands on professional bike fit done with everything that is going on. 

It wouldn't be enough.  He has way too much stack.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Critique my new aero position? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Critique my aero position

Started by alex_korr
Views: 2155 Posts: 20

2012-02-14 8:09 PM lucerolite

Critique My Aero Position (video)

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 1290 Posts: 20

2012-02-03 7:59 PM Bripod

Another Aero-position Critique?

Started by monkeyboy64
Views: 618 Posts: 1

2011-04-22 4:29 AM monkeyboy64

Amateur Looking for Aero Position Critique Pages: 1 2

Started by misha1809
Views: 2841 Posts: 39

2010-09-23 4:08 AM Dave Luscan

Please Critique my Aero position - I need advice

Started by hubcitytriguy
Views: 1512 Posts: 16

2008-06-28 6:47 PM 1stTimeTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 10, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I am racing in the Florida Ironman. My question is this: which position is going to be better for me to ride in, the aero position or the traditional road position?

date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
I went in for a fitting because I had been having chronic stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck whenever I ride for more than 30 minutes. I'm planning a half Ironman this summer, any help for this?
date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?

date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.
date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.