General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lumos Helmet for those that cycle in the dark! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-16 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: Lumos Helmet for those that cycle in the dark!

I just came across this on a friend's FaceBook page and I think this could be a really great way to boost your visibility if you ride either early in the morning or late at night on the streets!    

Lumos Helmet

2015-07-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Lumos Helmet for those that cycle in the dark!

I think the whole turn signal thing is window dressing that will only make things worse. One, they're too close to the centerline to be an effective indicator, and two, when you have a left turn signal blinking on the right side of the traffic lane, it gets confusing.

I'm all for LEDs built into the helmet. That's great. Bright white lights above eye level, though, just wash out contour. It eliminates shadows from the sight line that your brain needs to be able to discern that hole in the road (or trail).

2015-07-16 3:13 PM

User image

I saw this on FB a couple days ago too but didn't click the link till now.  It's an interesting concept using integrated turn signals and an accelerometer to trigger brake lights.

I just ordered one.  $115 (shipping included) is not a bad price for a standard helmet and simple lights.  My commuting helmet was getting kind of nasty anyway.  Not sure if I'll actually use the turn signal feature as I would still use hand signals and look back anyway, but the brake feature is kind of cool.  Either way, I commute a lot, and in the dark during the October-March months.  This wouldn't replace my current 500 lumen front light and 40 lumen tail light that I have on my bike anyway.  More lights, especially in different places is never a bad thing while riding when it's dark or lower visibility.

2015-07-16 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Saw a news story on an invisible spray on paint that glows when head lights hit It the painted area. You can spray clothes, bike or helmet. Pretty cool. They are testing it in England so not sure when it will be available in the U.S.
2015-07-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

I saw this on FB a couple days ago too but didn't click the link till now.  It's an interesting concept using integrated turn signals and an accelerometer to trigger brake lights.

I just ordered one.  $115 (shipping included) is not a bad price for a standard helmet and simple lights.  My commuting helmet was getting kind of nasty anyway.  Not sure if I'll actually use the turn signal feature as I would still use hand signals and look back anyway, but the brake feature is kind of cool.  Either way, I commute a lot, and in the dark during the October-March months.  This wouldn't replace my current 500 lumen front light and 40 lumen tail light that I have on my bike anyway.  More lights, especially in different places is never a bad thing while riding when it's dark or lower visibility.

I'm curious your opinions once you get it. I got involved with the kickstarter simply to encourage new designs in safety/ cycling. But I think there are some big voids with this design that prevent me from actually buying one.
1) Because my head is always moving when looking for traffic, I wonder if it will be confusing for motorists behind me.
2) I agree with the previous comment about the turn signal being too close to the centerline of the rider. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use that feature.
3) I also agree that white LEDs right above my eyes might be a bad thing with glare.

If I were to design this, I'd just put really bright blinkies in the thing and be done with it.
2015-07-17 11:27 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GODAWGS Saw a news story on an invisible spray on paint that glows when head lights hit It the painted area. You can spray clothes, bike or helmet. Pretty cool. They are testing it in England so not sure when it will be available in the U.S.

Yep, the Volvo Life Paint!  http://www.volvolifepaint.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing the results from this one too.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lumos Helmet for those that cycle in the dark! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Light or dark tri helmet

Started by NeverEnough
Views: 1172 Posts: 15

2012-02-18 9:26 PM brigby1

Overcoming the 'dark/dark' winter blahs Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike_D
Views: 2386 Posts: 27

2010-11-06 9:12 PM Atlas_Shrugged

Cycling in the Dark in the Mornings

Started by ENP
Views: 5320 Posts: 17

2009-09-22 1:56 AM Slugger

LIGHTING FOR CYCLING IN THE DARK

Started by hd-dream
Views: 927 Posts: 11

2008-08-16 9:51 AM briderdt

Cycling in the Dark?

Started by ryanlc
Views: 815 Posts: 20

2007-06-02 4:33 AM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.