General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels - fairings for lighter riders Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-07-17 11:05 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: Aero wheels - fairings for lighter riders
My shop doesn't like fairings for lighter riders - what do you think?

By lighter, I'm 5'2" and around 127 at race weight. Would I really be better served getting a set of Bontrager Race Lites vs something like a Zipp 60?

Thanks!

2015-07-17 11:18 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Aero wheels - fairings for lighter riders

There are plenty of small riders such as yourself that ride on deep wheels.  It comes down to bike handling.

2015-07-17 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I've been down to 145 and I ride H3/disc combo (or Jet9 front)

20lbs is a little, but a disc+ a 60mm front should be controllable for even the sketchiest lightweight in all but the fiercest gales. Probably deeper with just a little getting used to it.
2015-07-17 12:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk My shop doesn't like fairings for lighter riders - what do you think? By lighter, I'm 5'2" and around 127 at race weight. Would I really be better served getting a set of Bontrager Race Lites vs something like a Zipp 60? Thanks!

Do they say that about all aero wheels for someone like you or just between these sets? The lower quality aero wheels, even from a good company, might not be that fast. In which case yeah, a more box type wheel like the Race Lites would be the better buy. I don't know the Zipp 60. That might be the case as these are aluminum brake track wheels, which have received less attention than the Carbon Clinchers have. If they say the Race Lites over something like Zipp 404's or Aeolus 3 or 5 then something is really off in their thinking. Some might not like carbon clinchers, but it's not due to small rider size.

2015-07-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

When my daughter was young she was much slower on zipp 404 AND Mavic wheels of similar depth then she was on the bontrager race XL's that came with her madone.  I figured it was because the zipps and mavics were heavier (I don't know if the zipps are but the mavics were) and she was not that strong of a rider at that point in her life. (she was 13 and weighed about 115 lbs.)  Similarly, I am at races all summer long where 13-15 year olds are racing with deep dish rims and some of them, in my mind, have no business on them because they slow the kids down.

No, you're not a kid, but not knowing what kind of cyclist you are, I could see how your LBS gave you that advice.

I'm sure someone is going to come behind this and post how deeper wheels make everyone faster no matter what their cycling level is, but I haven't seen that to be the case in actual application.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-17 1:11 PM
2015-07-17 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

One of the LBS here told me way back that latex tubes are only good if you climb mountains, I never went back!

You should be able to ride any 40-60mm wheel without any issues.  A disc cover on the back helps stabilize the bike in crosswinds.  Becoming familiar with handling using a deeper wheel in crosswinds is a learning process.  When I went from my old Felt TTR2 40mm to the FLO 60mm there was a difference but am use to it now.

2015-07-17 2:00 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by Left Brain

When my daughter was young she was much slower on zipp 404 AND Mavic wheels of similar depth then she was on the bontrager race XL's that came with her madone.  I figured it was because the zipps and mavics were heavier (I don't know if the zipps are but the mavics were) and she was not that strong of a rider at that point in her life. (she was 13 and weighed about 115 lbs.)  Similarly, I am at races all summer long where 13-15 year olds are racing with deep dish rims and some of them, in my mind, have no business on them because they slow the kids down.

No, you're not a kid, but not knowing what kind of cyclist you are, I could see how your LBS gave you that advice.

I'm sure someone is going to come behind this and post how deeper wheels make everyone faster no matter what their cycling level is, but I haven't seen that to be the case in actual application.

can it be me

I mean how much weight are we talking here? Some people ride on race wheels loaded with lead I think.
2015-07-17 2:07 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

can it be me I mean how much weight are we talking here? Some people ride on race wheels loaded with lead I think.

Some of these carbon aero wheels are beating the box wheels in weight now too. Not the case with the pair in the OP though. Might just be what you were thinking before in a smaller rider handling the winds.

2015-07-17 2:09 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

can it be me I mean how much weight are we talking here? Some people ride on race wheels loaded with lead I think.

LOL - It might as well be.  I know what the standard "knowledge" says.......but I also know what we see with kids who don't produce much power and deep dish wheels.  Mostly we just get them off the wheels.  Maybe it has to do with handling as well......but there sure is no benefit for the majority of them.  And no....so far no parent is crazy enough to buy their 13 year old a power meter.....but I'm sure that's next so I'll eventually have some numbers.

2015-07-17 2:17 PM

User image

What lead you to believe this?  There are a lot of reasons someone can ride slower than normal.  Wind, course terrain, road surface, air density, or just a bad day.  Were you able to isolate all the other variables besides the wheels to draw your conclusion.  

Would you also believe that a heavier, but well fitting triathlon bike would slower than a road bike for smaller riders?  Just trying to understand your angle on why you believe a 58-60 mm set of race wheels would be slower.

2015-07-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

What lead you to believe this?  There are a lot of reasons someone can ride slower than normal.  Wind, course terrain, road surface, air density, or just a bad day.  Were you able to isolate all the other variables besides the wheels to draw your conclusion.  

Would you also believe that a heavier, but well fitting triathlon bike would slower than a road bike for smaller riders?  Just trying to understand your angle on why you believe a 58-60 mm set of race wheels would be slower.

HAHA.....I don't have an angle, I just know what we see with some kids.....especially the ones who are slowish....they don't get faster with deeper wheels.  And sometimes, actually frequently, they get slower.  Yeah, we do the same TT course with a group of them just about every Wed. night.  Yes, I know that no two nights are alike, but sometimes they aren't much different around here in the middle of the summer.

But don't worry.....there is no shortage of parents willing to spend 2000.00 for a set of deep wheels for their 11-15 year old who can barely ride as it is.

2015-07-17 2:28 PM

User image

Pro

That would be VERY course dependent with regard to beginner riders.

2015-07-17 2:40 PM

Master
Northern IL

And why would that be? What variables would you taking into consideration with this?

2015-07-17 2:40 PM

User image

Ok, so your point is that aerodynamic equipment such as aero wheels or a triathlon bike might not benefit beginner riders who don't have good handling skills.  The type who have trouble reaching down to grab a bottle while riding at 15 mph.  I can buy that.  But the OP is asking the question not from the perspective of bike handling experience but from weight.  Yes there is a learning curve to handling aero wheels but it's not very big.  If you already know how to handle your bike then aero wheels should not slow you down.

ETA:  FWIW my girlfriend used my Zipp 404's (aluminum clinchers) to ride up Haleakala.  It wasn't for aerodynamic advantage (she averaged less than 8 mph), but it was far lighter than any of her training wheels and it already had good tires and latex tubes installed on them.  She weighs less than 120 pounds and she really enjoyed using those wheels.  She PR'd (her 4th time doing it) by over 20 minutes.

Edited by Jason N 2015-07-17 2:42 PM
2015-07-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

And why would that be? What variables would you taking into consideration with this?

The standard ones....you know, hills and turns.

2015-07-17 2:46 PM

User image

Pro

Ok, so your point is that aerodynamic equipment such as aero wheels or a triathlon bike might not benefit beginner riders who don't have good handling skills.  The type who have trouble reaching down to grab a bottle while riding at 15 mph.  I can buy that.  But the OP is asking the question not from the perspective of bike handling experience but from weight.  Yes there is a learning curve to handling aero wheels but it's not very big.  If you already know how to handle your bike then aero wheels should not slow you down.

ETA:  FWIW my girlfriend used my Zipp 404's (aluminum clinchers) to ride up Haleakala.  It wasn't for aerodynamic advantage (she averaged less than 8 mph), but it was far lighter than any of her training wheels and it already had good tires and latex tubes installed on them.  She weighs less than 120 pounds and she really enjoyed using those wheels.  She PR'd (her 4th time doing it) by over 20 minutes.

I will stand by the idea that most beginner riders get very little benefit from them.  Likewise, beginner riders who don't weigh much and don't put down much power get even less, if any, benefit from them.  I see it constantly.

Most people would be better served spending their deep wheel money on a cycling coach.

2015-07-17 2:53 PM

User image

I will stand by the idea that most beginner riders get very little benefit from them. 

If we are talking about riders without basic handling skills such as riding within 12 inches of another person's wheel, or who brake way more than necessary than I would agree.

Likewise, beginner riders who don't weigh much and don't put down much power get even less, if any, benefit from them.  I see it constantly. 

What exactly are you seeing?  Light riders with little power who are normally hammering it in the front suddenly struggling on the back when they use race wheels?  Could it be possible that light riders who don't put out much power are still going to be hanging off the back with race wheels, but exerting 10-20 less watts in the process?  Nobody said that race wheels was going to take a weak rider and turn them into a powerful one.

Most people would be better served spending their deep wheel money on a cycling coach.

Race wheels are generally the worst bang for buck investment in speed, so not really going to argue with you there.  But it doesn't mean there are no speed gains.

2015-07-17 2:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

I will stand by the idea that most beginner riders get very little benefit from them.  Likewise, beginner riders who don't weigh much and don't put down much power get even less, if any, benefit from them.  I see it constantly.

So the aero benefits tend to be outweighed by the bike being more difficult to handle? Could happen. Lots of cross wind with inexperience in bike handling.

I would expand it to investing in training methods, but yes. Wheels can come any time.

2015-07-17 3:04 PM

User image

Pro

And I will answer you two by saying that yes, in a wind tunnel, under perfect conditions, there will always be watts saved with deep wheels.  Unfortunately, nobody ever rides in those conditions and the gains that may be generated by deep wheels are not even close to being worth the expense compared to other cycling upgrades. In the case of people who don't generate much power, I would bet that's even more true......which is probably where the LBS guy was coming from. 

I would say he did the OP a favor rather than trying to sell her something that may potentially be a waste of money.  Yeah, we can all spend our money however we want.....but I like a LBS that is realistic and not greedy.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-17 3:11 PM
2015-07-17 3:20 PM

User image

Exton, PA

And I will answer you two by saying that yes, in a wind tunnel, under perfect conditions, there will always be watts saved with deep wheels.  Unfortunately, nobody ever rides in those conditions and the gains that may be generated by deep wheels are not even close to being worth the expense compared to other cycling upgrades. In the case of people who don't generate much power, I would bet that's even more true......which is probably where the LBS guy was coming from. 

I would say he did the OP a favor rather than trying to sell her something that may potentially be a waste of money.  Yeah, we can all spend our money however we want.....but I like a LBS that is realistic and not greedy.

I agree with LB to a point. If you are not putting out a lot of power, heavier aero wheels may not help you at all. I do not know where that power threshold would be, I imagine it you would be talking about someone putting out less than 150 watts.

If you talking about aero-wheels that weight the same or less than the box wheels, I think that argument goes away.

2015-07-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mike761

I agree with LB to a point. If you are not putting out a lot of power, heavier aero wheels may not help you at all. I do not know where that power threshold would be, I imagine it you would be talking about someone putting out less than 150 watts. If you talking about aero-wheels that weight the same or less than the box wheels, I think that argument goes away.

There are A LOT of people putting out less than 150 watts.....especially smaller and inexperienced riders.

2015-07-17 3:27 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

EEK - sorry, I had to step out for a few hours.....

ok the wheels I picked in my original post were quasi random. My I have the race lites on my Madone and LOVE them. I was looking at race wheels and was thinking about aluminum rims with carbon fairings partly for cost and partly because I'm lazy about changing brake pads. From the "which wheels should I get" perspective that's a whole different question - but I thought I could narrow it down at least for now between fairings and none (then on to how deep).

Now, my bike handling skills: I started out as a mountain biker in 1996, then turned roadie around 2002 then got my Speed Concept 2014. I've never raced MTB or road but I consider myself to have good bike handling skills. Having said all that, I've ridden with my LBS on their group rides for years and they know how I ride......

SO in a conversation about wheels, my eyebrow went up when he said he "Not a big fan of aero for lighter riders...makes the bike scary in wind etc" and I thought I'd ask the tri community their thoughts.
2015-07-17 3:30 PM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

I agree with LB to a point. If you are not putting out a lot of power, heavier aero wheels may not help you at all. I do not know where that power threshold would be, I imagine it you would be talking about someone putting out less than 150 watts. If you talking about aero-wheels that weight the same or less than the box wheels, I think that argument goes away.

Well the debate is on the degree to which any of these are being taken too, how much of a difference is there with anything that is changed? How much heavier? How much more aero? Aero wheels aren't necessarily heavier than the basic wheels. Jason's set is actually lighter. Aero wheels aren't necessarily that much more aero either. While the wheels in the OP are Zipps, they are not Firecrest or any of the other carbon clinchers now available, so don't know much about them. If they weren't Zipp then many times it would be an easy answer of not being worth the money as they likely won't be much faster, if at all.

2015-07-17 3:38 PM

User image

There are A LOT of people putting out less than 150 watts.....especially smaller and inexperienced riders.

You might want to browse through this thread and see what type of speed some guys are putting up at ~150 watts.  

2015-07-17 3:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

EEK - sorry, I had to step out for a few hours..... ok the wheels I picked in my original post were quasi random. My I have the race lites on my Madone and LOVE them. I was looking at race wheels and was thinking about aluminum rims with carbon fairings partly for cost and partly because I'm lazy about changing brake pads. From the "which wheels should I get" perspective that's a whole different question - but I thought I could narrow it down at least for now between fairings and none (then on to how deep). Now, my bike handling skills: I started out as a mountain biker in 1996, then turned roadie around 2002 then got my Speed Concept 2014. I've never raced MTB or road but I consider myself to have good bike handling skills. Having said all that, I've ridden with my LBS on their group rides for years and they know how I ride...... SO in a conversation about wheels, my eyebrow went up when he said he "Not a big fan of aero for lighter riders...makes the bike scary in wind etc" and I thought I'd ask the tri community their thoughts.

Haha. Randee, I think you're looking at a whole array instead of trying to isolate aero vs not. And think you'd be fine with at least lower profile aero rims. Don't know you'd want the 80mm ones I use in windy conditions though even though I've been fine. There is the possibility of mixing sizes too. Like 40 front and 60 rear. The front is the one that affects handle, and by a considerable margin. Could still stay with the basics if that still makes you nervous, or if mixing sizes will mess with the appearance too much!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero wheels - fairings for lighter riders Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Aero Wheels versus Light Wheels

Started by Selachophobia
Views: 5472 Posts: 24

2010-02-13 3:43 PM dscottmd

Aero helmet v. aero wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by wdpresta
Views: 5699 Posts: 32

2009-02-26 4:15 PM smilford

Aero helmet without Aero wheels?

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1785 Posts: 9

2008-07-04 10:58 PM jeffy_101

Race Wheels for light riders?

Started by sebjamesm
Views: 1234 Posts: 8

2007-01-26 11:27 PM me8

Aero Helmet vs. Aero Wheels Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri-Atlanta
Views: 3583 Posts: 27

2006-08-02 6:10 AM Daz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.