General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines - TRI Holly, MI 7-19-2015 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-20 12:56 PM

User image

Subject: 3 Disciplines - TRI Holly, MI 7-19-2015
It is not too often that I take time out of my day to share my experiences with regard to a particular race or race organizer, but after yesterday's race, I feel I must do so.

Yesterday's race was my first DQ in 3+ years of racing....and I was not happy. It was a DQ because the run course had to be changed at the last minute because of a downed power line. 3 Disciplines communicated this information during the pre-race meeting, so I did not think there would be any issue.

However, while on the Olympic run course, 4 of us, including myself either missed a turn, or ran the wrong course. I missed a turn because the marking was not great, and the aid station volunteers did not make mention as to what way we were suppose to go.

So, I ran the Sprint run course for an Olympic distance race, resulting in my first DQ.

Unfortunately, a few young families heard my curse-filled rant, and after I calmed down after a few minutes, I apologized profusely.

Then I moved on to assigning blame: Aid Station workers, 3 Disciplines, myself for not running fast enough to follow someone, etc.

I vowed to never do TRI again because I thought it was poorly marked and I don't especially enjoy riding hills.

Then, something changed my mind.....Kenny and Annmarie.

I had not even left the venue and I received a personal email from Kenny saying that 3D could have done a better job communicating where the turn was that I missed. Kenny and Annmarie take the production of their events seriously, and anytime they can increase the level of support to the athletes, they do. Their events may be a bit higher then others, but you get what you pay for. I feel safe at their events. I feel that they legitimately care about my well-being. I feel that if they were racing themselves, what would they be thinking?

Kenny did not have to email me. He did not have to have to offer me a discount at a future race. He has 300+ athletes every weekend to worry about. Why would he take 5 minutes out of his day to email the 4 of us?

It's because he legitimately cares....

I am not a 3D slappy by any means and I will criticize when necessary, but it is this type of response to an unfortunate situation that will keep me coming back to 3D.

Take this for what its worth....just one man's opinion/experience.

2015-07-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5129935

User image

Subject: RE: 3 Disciplines - TRI Holly, MI 7-19-2015
I hear many negative things about 3D but have had only good experiences. I freaked out in the swim at Tri the Creek last year and Kenny was kind enough to spend 5 minutes talking to me about potential causes and solutions while in the middle of announcing race finishers.
2015-07-20 2:36 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Nice. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them. (And bummer about running the wrong course.)
2015-07-27 3:03 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

Never done this race. I do however train down there. The bike loop is nothing but up and down, great for learning how to manage your gears.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines - TRI Holly, MI 7-19-2015 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Women's Tri: Holly Mi June 10

Started by almor
Views: 621 Posts: 1

2012-04-26 9:49 AM almor

Any Riders Near Holly / Fenton, MI?

Started by jasonburlen
Views: 780 Posts: 3

2011-08-12 6:52 AM matt3liv

11/8 - MTB in Holly - at the Holly Rec Area or Holdridge

Started by matt3liv
Views: 909 Posts: 13

2008-11-06 5:18 PM m-mcclain

Autumn Colors Tri - Holly: VERY early inquiry

Started by Invigilator
Views: 558 Posts: 2

2008-06-12 7:30 AM sushigirl

Anyone doing the Holly X-tri this weekend?

Started by matt3liv
Views: 659 Posts: 3

2007-07-11 4:30 AM matt3liv
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : March 5, 2006
author : ChiRunning
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.