Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-09 5:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Where did all the BTers go?

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Kido

I thought the mentor groups were to provide a place for a small group of people to ask questions of an experience member and get a little group support/encouragement.  Not to form cliques or form a group of lemmings.

YES, you can ask the same questions in TT and get the same support in Race Reports.  I get that.

BUT, how many times have you seen responses to beginner questions in TT like "Use the search function" - "how many time are people going to ask the same questions" - or links to 20 other threads that asked the same question.  OR, have a thread hijacked by opposing opinions to turn in to an argument with so many answers that the OP gets no real answer in the end.

For example, if I went to my doctor I trusted and asked for a treatment for my cancer, I would want an answer and maybe get a second opinion to confirm then go from there.  Maybe have a small group for support.  What good does it do for me to post a question for treatment online then get a dozen different suggestions THEN have doctors go off on their tangent arguing about which is best?  Or have someone say "man,  how many times are people going to ask about cancer treatments - use the search feature".  I don't get an answer, I get an argument, then have to chose one side, but I'm a beginner, so I have to just guess which side to chose and hope for the best?  Why not just try triathlon by trial and error (nothing wrong with that, BTW - I do that a lot).

I think the intent was a good one.  Make beginners feel just a little more comfortable getting into this sport.  BUT, I agree, it did get a bit cliquish.  I guess I never understood why a mentor group would have 12 people that have been on BT for years and racing for years in it.  Then it's just a club of friends.  I thought the intent was ONE mentor (maybe an "assistant" for a second opinion) then 8-10 new people.  Maybe crack down on who is IN a mentor group?  If 12 people that have been racing for years just want to chat, start a thread or FB page? 

Exactly

I can only speak for myself but I do exactly this because yeah, they are a group of friends. A group of friends with a common interest that have different experiences to draw from when I ask for advice. The biggest difference between the mentor group and TT would be that they know my athletic history and I know theirs. And in my opinion, that is one of the very most important pieces to continuing to progress in the sport. 

Also, when I post something in TT, whether it be a reply or a new thread, it often falls flat. I don't have that experience is the mentor forum. Maybe because they are my friends and they have to reply

This may be too anecdotal, but I feel as though the mentor groups, and maybe even ours specifically, is being called out. 

Nah.....at least not my intention at all.  Until the last few days when I was trying to figure out how I felt about them, I had never even looked at one of the groups.  But now that I have I think they are not operating how, at least as I have come to understand it, they were intended to operate.  I don't think they were ever intended to be groups of experienced athletes just having their own little discussion, it takes away from the experience and knowledge of the board in general.  In that light, there is no way they can be considered good for the overall health of the board. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-09 5:27 PM

2015-09-09 5:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Seattle

I thought the mentor groups were to provide a place for a small group of people to ask questions of an experience member and get a little group support/encouragement.  Not to form cliques or form a group of lemmings.

YES, you can ask the same questions in TT and get the same support in Race Reports.  I get that.

BUT, how many times have you seen responses to beginner questions in TT like "Use the search function" - "how many time are people going to ask the same questions" - or links to 20 other threads that asked the same question.  OR, have a thread hijacked by opposing opinions to turn in to an argument with so many answers that the OP gets no real answer in the end.

For example, if I went to my doctor I trusted and asked for a treatment for my cancer, I would want an answer and maybe get a second opinion to confirm then go from there.  Maybe have a small group for support.  What good does it do for me to post a question for treatment online then get a dozen different suggestions THEN have doctors go off on their tangent arguing about which is best?  Or have someone say "man,  how many times are people going to ask about cancer treatments - use the search feature".  I don't get an answer, I get an argument, then have to chose one side, but I'm a beginner, so I have to just guess which side to chose and hope for the best?  Why not just try triathlon by trial and error (nothing wrong with that, BTW - I do that a lot).

I think the intent was a good one.  Make beginners feel just a little more comfortable getting into this sport.  BUT, I agree, it did get a bit cliquish.  I guess I never understood why a mentor group would have 12 people that have been on BT for years and racing for years in it.  Then it's just a club of friends.  I thought the intent was ONE mentor (maybe an "assistant" for a second opinion) then 8-10 new people.  Maybe crack down on who is IN a mentor group?  If 12 people that have been racing for years just want to chat, start a thread or FB page? 

Exactly

I can only speak for myself but I do exactly this because yeah, they are a group of friends. A group of friends with a common interest that have different experiences to draw from when I ask for advice. The biggest difference between the mentor group and TT would be that they know my athletic history and I know theirs. And in my opinion, that is one of the very most important pieces to continuing to progress in the sport. 

Also, when I post something in TT, whether it be a reply or a new thread, it often falls flat. I don't have that experience is the mentor forum. Maybe because they are my friends and they have to reply

This may be too anecdotal, but I feel as though the mentor groups, and maybe even ours specifically, is being called out. 

Nah.....at least not my intention at all.  Until the last few days when I was trying to figure out how I felt about them, I had never even looked at one of the groups.  But now that I have I think they are not operating how, at least as I have come to understand it, they were intended to operate.  I don't think they were ever intended to be groups of experienced athletes just having their own little discussion, it takes away from the experience and knowledge of the board in general.  In that light, there is no way they can be considered good for the overall health of the board. 

Regardless of the original intent, if we were to  take our group and make it a closed FB group I can see myself visiting BT less, if not at all and being less likely to post in TT. While I don't do it often, I do try and contribute now and again. So I see myself going from infrequent posting to none at all. Not sure how that would help.

I also have a hard time seeing it as a clique. The groups open each season and any group I have joined (I've joined a few) has been really welcoming. If that is not the case, then yes, I could see it being a problem. But perhaps time and energy would be better spent cracking down on that kind of behavior instead of eliminating the groups.  

2015-09-09 5:40 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I appreciate all of that reasoning.  It makes perfect sense and I see the appeal.   I also get how people gravitate to friends and what's comfortable.

(and for the record, I haven't been in the mentor threads for years, so I don't know which ones exist or who's in them to call anyone in particular out). 

But, in a discussion why an entire forum seems slow in traffic, I can also see where people can come to the conclusion that when people log on then just go into their small groups and do their own thing, it could cut down in the overall community contributions.  There are probably people on BT that I think are MIA that probably still talk a lot, but only in mentor groups. 

I bet their is some really sound advice being provided...  just in the mentor threads.  Shame it may not be getting out to the general masses for absorption.  I probably got much of my advice just lurking rather than actually starting or contributing in a thread.  I feel that lurking in threads in TT is the point of it, but lurking in a mentor group feels a bit creepy to me - I would probably love to hear some of their experiences and advice.

Edited by Kido 2015-09-09 5:43 PM
2015-09-09 5:43 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro

Exactly

Regardless of the original intent, if we were to  take our group and make it a closed FB group I can see myself visiting BT less, if not at all and being less likely to post in TT. While I don't do it often, I do try and contribute now and again. So I see myself going from infrequent posting to none at all. Not sure how that would help.

I also have a hard time seeing it as a clique. The groups open each season and any group I have joined (I've joined a few) has been really welcoming. If that is not the case, then yes, I could see it being a problem. But perhaps time and energy would be better spent cracking down on that kind of behavior instead of eliminating the groups.  

I think you are making my point.  I know, personally, I miss your posts in TT, and your presence there.  If you are just going to hide out in a group that is closed after a very short period, then there isn't much use, to the BIG PICTURE, of you being around at all, and yeah, I can see you moving toward a FB type of group.....but the overall board really wouldn't miss you anyway.  Does that make sense?   I'd rather the boards not exist so that people like you lend your experience in TT, and new people also don't have an avenue to run off in a small group........I can't imagine that was EVER the intention of the mentor groups.

2015-09-09 6:00 PM

User image

Seattle

I'll just reply so as not keep quoting haha.

I get what you are saying and I think it's probably a good point. They wouldn't miss me, or maybe the 6 others in our group that post semi-regularly as individuals, but collectively, the traffic that the groups drive by members checking in daily, and occasionally posting is of value, I think. And the number is maybe more significant than you are giving credit.

I didn't stop posting frequently in TT because of the Mentor program.  but I do post there occasionally because of them. Does that make sense?

2015-09-09 6:20 PM

User image

Pro

No, it doesn't really make sense to me, because you post in TT MUCH less than you used to.  And it seems it's because your posts are now in a closed group.  There's only so much time, yeah?  I get that.

2015-09-09 6:28 PM

User image

Seattle

Correlation does not imply causation

I don't post in TT because of other factors not because time. 

2015-09-09 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
On the subject of Mentor Groups....I mentioned to a friend about wanting to join one when the next sign up comes around, because it seems like a lot of people that I inspire and that inspire me are part of a group. I want to be a part of that fun!
But on the flip side...I'm pretty intimidated by it. People in the groups know each other really well, and being an outsider is tough. It never seems like there's a completely new mentor group, where we'd all be new. That's my point, I guess. Aren't the Mentor Groups supposed to be a safe place to get more attention than in the main forum? Because, as someone who is coming back to BT after many years away, they don't feel that way. They feel like a clique. Obviously I may be wrong. But I remember the "old" BT we're all waxing poetic about. I know how awesome and friendly the people here have been, and I'm STILL not keen on the idea of joining a mentor group. How will a completely new member feel about them? And if you don't happen to join the site in the few days when the groups are being formed? Then you're out of luck.
Enough blathering I guess Just my two cents.
2015-09-09 7:04 PM

User image

Pro

You rarely post anywhere besides your little small group.....and that's not good for the overall health of the board.  Whatever the reason, there is no denying that.  I don't know about the whole C does not imply C thing.  I just know what I see.   

Like I said.....that was never the intent of "mentor groups".

2015-09-09 7:29 PM

User image

Elite

Adrienne, I have noticed many people, young women in particular, join the community, participate enthusiastically for a while then suddenly their log goes private and they post no more.  The best guess as to what happened was some unwelcome attention or outright harassment.  Has anything like that ever happened in BT to you?  Is it a problem?  Being a geezerly and male, my complaint would be the opposite.  I seem to pass through the forums without drawing any attention at all.

TW

2015-09-10 5:15 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Would you mind sharing the reason? Unltimately, the lack of traffic in TT is the main issue. Adding your n=1 will help determine the underlying causes.

2015-09-10 6:52 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by lisac957

Ron,

I noticed a comment from you that had me wondering.  You stated you are busy trying to keep 4 sites afloat.  Web, mobile, iphone app, droid app.

What is the demand for those?  In MY experience, the other applications were so limited, they really didn't serve me well enough that just waiting to get to my desktop wasn't my typical option.  On occasion I would check my workout for the day and maybe even log one, but I would have to go to the desktop anyway to add more detail or load Garmin.  I would even chose full site version when looking on my Ipad anyway.

I honestly thought you created the apps just because that's the thing to do at the time...  "There's an app for that".

If you lost those, would you be upsetting a lot of users?  Would it save you time and headache if they didn't exist or you didn't support them anymore

Totally agree. The app interface is frustrating and doesn't make sense. I ALWAYS use the "full site" option on my phone and iPad. 
Ron, do you have user metrics/statistics for how many people are actually using the apps? That would be interesting, and perhaps telling for the demand and where you could better put your resources. 

I was thinking about this last night, but more in terms of the overall site.  It would be interesting to analyze the data on how much the site is used across all channels.  Measure that against industry numbers if possible.  While the anecdotal evidence here points to less traffic in TT, is that an indication of a greater issue?  Do you see more or less traffic across the entire site?  Have usage patterns changed over the past years?  Are people reading more and posting less, as was pointed out earlier? Are people logging more?  Are the other parts of the site seeing changes in traffic pattern.  Also, where does the sport stand in regards to participation?  I participated in a local race this weekend that has seen nearly a 50% decrease in participation, which is an indicator of a larger issue to me.  USAT might have better numbers on that sort of thing, I wonder how forthcoming they would be with those numbers.  I'm not saying that each of our experiences is not valid, but if participation in this discussion is any indicator, the percentage of site users that believe that this is an issue worth discussing may not be that large.

Ron, I personally think the site has been what I have needed in regards to a few things, training, racing, and life related.  I feel for you, as trying to be all things to all people has never worked well for anyone.  This discussion alone has been an eye opener for me of the challenges that you are facing.

2015-09-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure...Maybe I'm too old or ugly to attract much attention but I've been on for several years and haven't had any such issues. (Please don't start now LOL.) One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people of both genders join, post a lot for a while, and then suddenly disappear. I'm wondering if in many cases it's simply a matter of attrition from the sport. Tri is time-consuming and expensive, and a lot of people do it intensely for a while and then life happens and it's no longer worth it to them to make time for triathlon, or at least post about it. It's also a forum for beginners--lots of beginners start out too with little fitness base, push their limits too fast, and end up either getting injured, mentally burned out, or both. In running, you have a lot of people ticking off a bucket-list marathon and not training in a sustainable way. Guessing that the tri version of that is the full IM. Having been in running a long, long time, I can say that people who stick with it for years and years are the exception. Not putting a value judgement on that--I've done plenty of things in my life where I felt like once was enough (or more than enough), but it's a reality for many sports and hobbies.

I continue to post mainly because I have almost no live people around here to talk with about things tri- related, and sometimes I get bored doing all the other things I'm supposed to be doing.
2015-09-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Atlantia On the subject of Mentor Groups....I mentioned to a friend about wanting to join one when the next sign up comes around, because it seems like a lot of people that I inspire and that inspire me are part of a group. I want to be a part of that fun! But on the flip side...I'm pretty intimidated by it. People in the groups know each other really well, and being an outsider is tough. It never seems like there's a completely new mentor group, where we'd all be new. That's my point, I guess. Aren't the Mentor Groups supposed to be a safe place to get more attention than in the main forum? Because, as someone who is coming back to BT after many years away, they don't feel that way. They feel like a clique. Obviously I may be wrong. But I remember the "old" BT we're all waxing poetic about. I know how awesome and friendly the people here have been, and I'm STILL not keen on the idea of joining a mentor group. How will a completely new member feel about them? And if you don't happen to join the site in the few days when the groups are being formed? Then you're out of luck. Enough blathering I guess Just my two cents.

I totally agree with what Atlantia is saying. Nothing is worse than trying to join a mentor group and finding out they all have been in the same group for the last 2 years. It is hard to break in to a group like that. I have joined groups before and then dropped out because I felt like I was invading their group. I have also lead a group one time about 3 years ago and will say there is some benefit to a smaller group sharing experiences, but we were all new and did not know each other.

Personally, I would like to see it go back to the olden days where there was a lot of information in TT. Not every way works for everyone and I liked hearing the different thoughts and even weeding through the disagreements.

I would like to see BT thrive once again.

2015-09-10 9:22 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Hot Runner Not sure...Maybe I'm too old or ugly to attract much attention but I've been on for several years and haven't had any such issues. (Please don't start now LOL.) One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people of both genders join, post a lot for a while, and then suddenly disappear. I'm wondering if in many cases it's simply a matter of attrition from the sport. Tri is time-consuming and expensive, and a lot of people do it intensely for a while and then life happens and it's no longer worth it to them to make time for triathlon, or at least post about it. It's also a forum for beginners--lots of beginners start out too with little fitness base, push their limits too fast, and end up either getting injured, mentally burned out, or both. In running, you have a lot of people ticking off a bucket-list marathon and not training in a sustainable way. Guessing that the tri version of that is the full IM. Having been in running a long, long time, I can say that people who stick with it for years and years are the exception. Not putting a value judgement on that--I've done plenty of things in my life where I felt like once was enough (or more than enough), but it's a reality for many sports and hobbies. I continue to post mainly because I have almost no live people around here to talk with about things tri- related, and sometimes I get bored doing all the other things I'm supposed to be doing.

I certainly know the stereotype of the person who is just starting to run (or bike or triathlon or Crossfit) and they want to talk of nothing else.  Mostly, they grow out of it after a while.  We all were there once and should understand.  That normal trajectory may be the explanation.  I hope so.  Some of the disappearing acts seemed to occur later in the normal development cycle and were more sudden.  It made me consider the other explanations.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2015-09-10 9:22 AM
2015-09-10 9:50 AM

User image

Pro

I don't think you worry about what happened or where "everyone" went when you want to make something better.  People come and go in everything in life, institutions not so much....... and the ones that last just adapt and move on with no thought to whoever or whatever is not there anymore. 

I guess I wouldn't go so far as to call BT an "institution", but the idea holds. 

I just don't care who is not here anymore, not in the least.  There is plenty to build on with the folks who are here, so that's what you do.

2015-09-10 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I don't think you worry about what happened or where "everyone" went when you want to make something better.  People come and go in everything in life, institutions not so much....... and the ones that last just adapt and move on with no thought to whoever or whatever is not there anymore. 

I guess I wouldn't go so far as to call BT an "institution", but the idea holds. 

I just don't care who is not here anymore, not in the least.  There is plenty to build on with the folks who are here, so that's what you do.

This is a really good point. I think consolidation of the forums will make for more efficient usage. But at the end of the day, if we want BT to be better, we are the BTers and hold the reigns.
2015-09-10 12:03 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by tech_geezer

Adrienne, I have noticed many people, young women in particular, join the community, participate enthusiastically for a while then suddenly their log goes private and they post no more.  The best guess as to what happened was some unwelcome attention or outright harassment.  Has anything like that ever happened in BT to you?  Is it a problem?  Being a geezerly and male, my complaint would be the opposite.  I seem to pass through the forums without drawing any attention at all.

TW

Nothing I couldn't handle myself and nothing I would categorize as harassment or anything I needed to escalate. However I do have my logs private because I don't want to have to watch what I post and I don't like the idea of lurkers. But I know that if I did have an issue, I would feel completely comfortable escalating it and know BT would have me back. So, really for me that makes it a non issue. I've had really good experiences, particularly via pm of males reaching out in support in fact, for various thingd.
2015-09-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Would you mind sharing the reason? Unltimately, the lack of traffic in TT is the main issue. Adding your n=1 will help determine the underlying causes.

Ok, since you are asking.

1. I feel, as I mentioned above that often, whether I start a new thread or reply that I am ignored. I am not sure why this is, it could be 100% on me whether it be the way I portray myself or my "tone" or maybe it's because I am female? I definitely can't say why. But I feel that I must be somehow qualified by someone else with an "x2" or something before what I say makes any impact, and at that point why not just let the "qualifier" do the talking. Again, I don't know why and I am not claiming to but it's how I feel.

2. LB, I'm going to candid and I think that you deserve honesty because I do respect you, and god knows you have thick skin (I do not!), but you can be kind of a jerk sometimes. This can't be news to you. Maybe you enjoy ruffling people's feathers, I don't know. I like discussing different theories, ideas and strategies because I realize there are a whole lot of ways to improve as an athlete and it is fascinating! But arguing on the internet isn't fun to me, especially when someone is being abrasive. Again, this is how I feel because I am specifically being asked. I cannot speak for anyone else. 

2015-09-10 12:16 PM

User image

Seattle

You rarely post anywhere besides your little small group.....and that's not good for the overall health of the board.  Whatever the reason, there is no denying that.  I don't know about the whole C does not imply C thing.  I just know what I see.   

So you think that me being 100% absent is better than me occasionally posting? Can you explain?

2015-09-10 12:26 PM

User image

Pro

1. I feel, as I mentioned above that often, whether I start a new thread or reply that I am ignored. I am not sure why this is, it could be 100% on me whether it be the way I portray myself or my "tone" or maybe it's because I am female? I definitely can't say why. But I feel that I must be somehow qualified by someone else with an "x2" or something before what I say makes any impact, and at that point why not just let the "qualifier" do the talking. Again, I don't know why and I am not claiming to but it's how I feel.

2. LB, I'm going to candid and I think that you deserve honesty because I do respect you, and god knows you have thick skin (I do not!), but you can be kind of a jerk sometimes. This can't be news to you. Maybe you enjoy ruffling people's feathers, I don't know. I like discussing different theories, ideas and strategies because I realize there are a whole lot of ways to improve as an athlete and it is fascinating! But arguing on the internet isn't fun to me, especially when someone is being abrasive

Again, this is how I feel because I am specifically being asked. I cannot speak for anyone else. 

I think that's fair, Salty, and I've tried to not to come off as so much of a "jerk"?  The thing is, If we were having any conversation here in person I can't imagine you'd feel the same way....even if we were not in agreement.  My comments obviously lose a lot without my voice inflection, laughing, etc.  I like people and talking, and I've never been accused of being shy.....but I know when I type it doesn't always come off that way.  I don't worry about it that much, but I'm aware of it.  I do find it kind of funny, because personally, I can't come up with much of an idea about someone's personality from what they type here, and I don't try to.....that's probably what you see as a "thick skin", but then, even in person it's almost impossible to hurt my feelings or offend me....I've got a lot of life going on around me so there is always something better to focus on than that stuff. I tend to think everyone is that way even though I know that's probably not true.

I'll try harder.

2015-09-10 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

2. LB, I'm going to candid and I think that you deserve honesty because I do respect you, and god knows you have thick skin (I do not!), but you can be kind of a jerk sometimes. This can't be news to you. Maybe you enjoy ruffling people's feathers, I don't know. I like discussing different theories, ideas and strategies because I realize there are a whole lot of ways to improve as an athlete and it is fascinating! But arguing on the internet isn't fun to me, especially when someone is being abrasive

Again, this is how I feel because I am specifically being asked. I cannot speak for anyone else. 

I think that's fair, Salty, and I've tried to not to come off as so much of a "jerk"?  The thing is, If we were having any conversation here in person I can't imagine you'd feel the same way....even if we were not in agreement.  My comments obviously lose a lot without my voice inflection, laughing, etc.  I like people and talking, and I've never been accused of being shy.....but I know when I type it doesn't always come off that way.  I don't worry about it that much, but I'm aware of it.  I do find it kind of funny, because personally, I can't come up with much of an idea about someone's personality from what they type here, and I don't try to.....that's probably what you see as a "thick skin", but then, even in person it's almost impossible to hurt my feelings or offend me....I've got a lot of life going on around me so there is always something better to focus on than that stuff. I tend to think everyone is that way even though I know that's probably not true.

I'll try harder.

if it helps, he is way more of a jerk on here than in real life

2015-09-10 12:29 PM

User image

Pro

So you think that me being 100% absent is better than me occasionally posting? Can you explain?

You ARE almost 100% absent...that's my point.  I wish you weren't.

2015-09-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

I'll try harder.

if it helps, he is way more of a jerk on here than in real life

Butt out!

2015-09-10 12:33 PM

User image

Seattle

I'll try harder.

Yeah, I understand. And you have said that before and I believe you. I'm a really sarcastic, dead pan kind of person and I have a hard enough time face to face.

I appreciate that you can take that information from me, publicly and that you are willing to try. Because clearly you have a lot of knowledge and insight to offer, and BT CAN use that.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  

of 16