General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-12 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: What Happened to "On your left."?
Did an Olympic this morning and gave the customary "on your left" as I passed some fellow competitors. I too was passed (a little more than I would have liked) and didn't hear it once. I thought it was common courtesy and race etiquette but maybe I missed a memo or something. Most probably know to stay right unless executing a pass but at this distance there are still first timers who may drift. Just seems like an easy way to avoid possible collisions. Maybe it requires too much effort from podium contenders or just isn't cool anymore. Who knows.

2015-09-12 9:54 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: What Happened to "On your left."?

Everybody on this board still says it.......it's the people in FaceBook groups who have stopped. 

2015-09-12 10:01 PM
in reply to: #5140367

User image

Denver, Colorado
It annoys me too, even though I've only completes couple of races.
At my first tri I was trying to avoid patwhole and thankfully I looked to the back and noticed somebody was passing me. Otherwise we would both have ended that race. I think it's a matter of courteousy and respect, but also safety. And not being a jerk..
2015-09-12 11:41 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
some races I have noticed a lack of respect for bike etiquette in general. so many ignoring the rules...blocking, not calling out left, and so forth.

pretty lame IMO
2015-09-13 12:53 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, at Vineman 70.3 someone passed me on the right on a descent without saying anything either and there was plenty of space to pass on my left.
2015-09-13 4:32 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Guys blocking women is rampant in SE Asia--some will do almost anything to avoid being chicked. At an Oly last year, one dude nearly ran me into an oncoming bus by forcing me way to the outside to pass him before I got a draft penalty. Later found out he'd done that to most of the top women, including a couple pros. (Guys started first, of course.) I think someone got his number and complained but don't know what became of it. Anyway, if I was passing him on the BIKE (not my forte) even with a ten minute head start, he was clearly not in contention for any awards.

As for "on your left", it's "on your right" in Singapore and some other places. Most polite people just stick with "Passing!" to avoid confusion. But even in Singapore, which is pretty polite as things go, you don't hear it that often.

2015-09-13 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by CBess

Did an Olympic this morning and gave the customary "on your left" as I passed some fellow competitors. I too was passed (a little more than I would have liked) and didn't hear it once. I thought it was common courtesy and race etiquette but maybe I missed a memo or something. Most probably know to stay right unless executing a pass but at this distance there are still first timers who may drift. Just seems like an easy way to avoid possible collisions. Maybe it requires too much effort from podium contenders or just isn't cool anymore. Who knows.

IMO,

If I am properly on my right with ample passing room, I do not expect a person to say "on your left"
If things are tight, yes.
It is my responsibility to look before veering but a good defensive rider passing will allow for mistakes and not startle me by buzzing me.

If I am blocking slightly, I expect to hear it and that's a sign I need to be more careful and move over.

Not hearing "on your left" to me is more a sign that I am riding properly. If I am hearing it too often, I'm probably not in the right position.

In some some larger races, some people are literally passing 100s if not 1000s of people.

"Good morning", "Looking good", "Nice bike" is always welcome.
2015-09-13 6:24 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I agree with Marc.  

I only say it if the person I am passing isn't over to the right or if I have reason to think they may move left soon (they are about to pass, coming up to a turn of some sort or they just haven't been holding their line as I approach).   I certainly don't expect it when I am just riding along at the right.

2015-09-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: #5140384

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I agree with Marc too. I only speak up if the road is tight not if there is plenty of room.
2015-09-13 7:18 AM

User image

I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.
2015-09-13 8:14 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
this seems to be a rampant problem as there seems to be many threads recently about this topic

2015-09-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Ditto on marc, and nice one LB, especially for those following the other thread
2015-09-13 9:08 AM
in reply to: #5140400

User image

Expert
What happened to staying to the right when not passing? I've gone horse calling out move right and on your left in races before. Wave starts appear to make this worse as they place slower racers ahead of faster waves.
2015-09-13 9:19 AM

It's much more of a rampant problem for slower cyclists who clearly aren't passing to drift left into the path of (much) faster cyclists, and that causes a lot more problem.

I'm not even a great cyclist, but fast enough that I'm passing a lot of folks in a wave start, and honestly, between the wind and the speed differential between some of the slower riders, there's no point in saying 'on your left', as they'll probably not hear it in time to move, or you'll be screaming your lungs out like a maniac pretty much the entire way. 

I reserve it for when there's a rider who is slightly slower than my speed, drifting leftwards - then it helps to say on your left.

And for what it's worth, I too have been that 'slowster' in the left lane, getting passed by really fast guys doing 26-7 on a HIM course, going fast enough that I didn't even have time to notice them and get out of their way before they blew by me. 

2015-09-13 11:45 AM

I did a bike event one weekend and the next Monday was walking into work and happened to be arriving at the same time as another cyclist. He was complaining about how people were so rude - they would yell 'on your left' so he would move left to let them get by, then they would cuss him out. In addition to being funny, I learned - don't yell on your left anymore because with the number of people coming into the sport without learning etiquette, there are plenty that do not know the basic rules of a bike course so they may move into your path. instead, yell "passing"
2015-09-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by CBess Did an Olympic this morning and gave the customary "on your left" as I passed some fellow competitors. I too was passed (a little more than I would have liked) and didn't hear it once. I thought it was common courtesy and race etiquette but maybe I missed a memo or something. Most probably know to stay right unless executing a pass but at this distance there are still first timers who may drift. Just seems like an easy way to avoid possible collisions. Maybe it requires too much effort from podium contenders or just isn't cool anymore. Who knows.
IMO, If I am properly on my right with ample passing room, I do not expect a person to say "on your left" If things are tight, yes. It is my responsibility to look before veering but a good defensive rider passing will allow for mistakes and not startle me by buzzing me. If I am blocking slightly, I expect to hear it and that's a sign I need to be more careful and move over. Not hearing "on your left" to me is more a sign that I am riding properly. If I am hearing it too often, I'm probably not in the right position. In some some larger races, some people are literally passing 100s if not 1000s of people. "Good morning", "Looking good", "Nice bike" is always welcome.

This.  Plus, I'll add that if you're overtaking a cyclist who is coming up on another cyclist in front of them, it's a good idea to say it, because they may be focused on the rider in front of them, not aware that you're overtaking them, and thinking about moving left to pass the 3rd rider.

2015-09-13 2:32 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by kloofyroland Yup, at Vineman 70.3 someone passed me on the right on a descent without saying anything either and there was plenty of space to pass on my left.

Keep in mind that if you're far enough left that there's room for someone to pass you on the right, you're at risk for a position foul.

2015-09-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by magic What happened to staying to the right when not passing? I've gone horse calling out move right and on your left in races before. Wave starts appear to make this worse as they place slower racers ahead of faster waves.

I think it's indicative of the growth that the sport has experienced in the last 10 years.  There are a lot of less experienced athletes who don't have the rules and etiquette knowledge that they probably should.

2015-09-13 5:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by kloofyroland Yup, at Vineman 70.3 someone passed me on the right on a descent without saying anything either and there was plenty of space to pass on my left.

Keep in mind that if you're far enough left that there's room for someone to pass you on the right, you're at risk for a position foul.

Which will never get called, but as soon as you cross the yellow line to pass, or pass on the right, an official will magically appear to nab you.

Edited by spudone 2015-09-13 5:36 PM
2015-09-13 6:44 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If I call on your left, its because I'm afraid you're going to crash me.  Its not a rule, very silly thing to be upset about.

2015-09-13 7:09 PM
in reply to: #5140367

, Ontario
I like on your left. I train alone. I am not used to bicycles. I tried taking a safety course and it helped but I still get startled without the warning. In my oly today, only two people didn't say it - a significant improvement over the other two tris I did this summer. It was great

2015-09-13 10:00 PM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

This is extremely annoying yes, but I try to stay right as much as possible, unless there is a pothole or obstruction. I also glance over my shoulder before preparing for a corner.

But along those lines, I had a sprint yesterday with a pool swim. Your bib number is assigned based on what you put as your expected swim time. So this guy walks up right as my wave is told to move forward and line up. He asks to step in front of me. His number is lower so I said sure. Then he swims straight down the middle of the lane blocking me. My hand was hitting his foot for at least 100 meters and he would not move over. We finally got bunched up with some other swimmers and I just had to push my self past him on a turn. Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!!!! Cost me at least 30 sec to a full minute! Sorry, just needed to vent.
2015-09-13 11:54 PM

New user
Originally posted by b2run

I only say it when someone looks like they don't ride a straight line or if I think the person I'm overtaking might be going to pass the biker in front of hthem. I'm a slow swimmer and a fast biker so I pass an awful lot of people on the bike. I would be saying it regularly if I didn't limit it to those who needed it. I'm don't think it's necessary if I'm passing someone who is riding in solid control, by themselves on the right side of the road.

This is my basic strategy too. I have a bit of advice for the habitual 'on your left' people. Don't ride past me 2 inches away from my left shoulder and yell "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!" just as your mouth lines up with my ear.

My wife was run into yesterday by someone who passed on the right. She heard them coming up and was easing over to the right to give them more space when the idiots blew past her on the right, the 2nd giving her a should check as he went by. Some people's kids huh?
2015-09-14 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN

X2
2015-09-14 7:32 AM
in reply to: mobey

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by mobey

X2

x3

as a MOP swimmer and a fast rider, I come up on a lot of ppl and, many times, I wonder if they've had a few shots in T1. they're swerving all over the road and look dangerous. for those riders, i'll clearly yell, "ON YOUR LEFT" and blow by them. for those riders that are to the right and riding fairly straight, I'll swing out, put at least a foot or two of space between us, and pass without saying anything.

as mentioned, i'm more concerned with the apparant lack of cycling skills/knowledge out on the course. in my opinion, that's far more likely to cause an accident. i don't think that's emphasized enough by race officials and the tri community.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What Happened to "On your left."? Rss Feed  

of 2