General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-14 4:50 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Transition time - how important is it?
I am fairly new to triathlon and this is a question that occupies my mind once in a while.
The transition time is included in your total time, but how important is it? How much attention do you pay to it?Obviously, everyone wants to have the fastest transition time, but while swim/bike/run distances are usually the same - the transition distance (and area) may vary. In my local tri it was easy to go through transitions in less than a minute, but in Chicago Tri there was over 450 meters to run from swim to T1, and then another probably 300 to find a bike. So the time for that part could not be less than 5 minutes (in most cases).

I'm just wondering what are your thought about it. And if you only focus on your time for swim/run/bike legs.

Thanks!
Mary

2015-09-14 5:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Transition time - how important is it?

Well you obviously can't compare one race to another because as you said the transition areas are different, but you could be comparing the same race from one year to the next to see if you've improved. Transition is basically free time. You could work all year to shave a minute off your 5k time in a sprint, only to lose that minute in transition if you're not efficient enough. 

2015-09-14 5:14 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Time is time.  Wherever you can save it...  BUT, I think a lot of time is wasted in transition and you can move up a lot of places with little additional effort if you can streamline your transitions.

For example, unless you have your transitions perfected, it's probably a lot easier (and not much more physical effort) to cut 2 minutes out of T2 if you have a race belt and speed laces, etc. than try to cut 2 minutes off your 10k time.  You can save minutes if you know how to get out of your wetsuit quickly.  What's the point of doing a 27 minute mile swim then add 5 minutes back on trying to get yourself out of a wetsuit and situated on the bike?

I look at some of my longer races (HIM and IM) and see how people spend 15-20 minutes or even longer in T1 and T2 where I'm less than 5 and I moved up several places without pushing ANY harder on the s/b/r portions.  To me, transitions are "free" time gains (free as little to no increase in physical effort) but by being efficient.

2015-09-14 5:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Mainly important if you care about your time, or are in it to win it (AG and overall awards) the shorter the race is, the more it tends to matter for overall and age group placing. I struggle with transitions, mainly because I'm a space cadet at the best of times, and race-day adrenaline (plus sometimes vertigo after the swim) makes it worse. I also tend to be shivering if the water or air is the slightest bit cold, and it slows down my speed at doing almost anything. I have definitely lost AG places and even the podium or first place in AG due to crappy transitions. It pays to practice and plan for issues like the above. Basically if it's a cold-water race I assume I will then have the coordination of a two year old, and try to make my set-up as idiot-proof as possible.

That being said, I think that in longer races, transitions tend to/need to be a bit longer because comfort becomes a bit more important given the time you will be on the bike or running, especially in cold or wet conditions. For half-ironman, for example, I would take the time to put on an extra layer for the bike in cool conditions, which I wouldn't bother with for a sprint. Plenty of people take time in full IM to change into biking or running shorts, again, as they feel more comfortable in those than in the same tri-suit all day, given the length of the event.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-09-14 5:26 PM
2015-09-14 5:24 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

It's important...more so the shorter the race.  If you look at the results in most sprint races, podium spots and near podium spots are usually just a few seconds apart.  I try to keep my transition area organized and clutter free.   Glasses, helmet, bike shoes should be together in front.  Running shoes (with quick laces)  & race belt should be together in back....all on a smallish towel.  It all seems simple when you watch transition videos.  In reality, you can waste a bunch of time if you don't practice before your actual race.

2015-09-14 5:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 I am fairly new to triathlon and this is a question that occupies my mind once in a while. The transition time is included in your total time, but how important is it? How much attention do you pay to it?Obviously, everyone wants to have the fastest transition time, but while swim/bike/run distances are usually the same - the transition distance (and area) may vary. In my local tri it was easy to go through transitions in less than a minute, but in Chicago Tri there was over 450 meters to run from swim to T1, and then another probably 300 to find a bike. So the time for that part could not be less than 5 minutes (in most cases). I'm just wondering what are your thought about it. And if you only focus on your time for swim/run/bike legs. Thanks! Mary

Can't really compare transition times from one race to the next because of exactly what you've seen, but they do matter. People poke around in T1 & T2, make things way too complicated or just don't know what they are doing. Not unusual to cost themselves a couple minutes there. So how important it is depends on how much that time means to you.

2015-09-14 6:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

How important they are is entirely up to you.  They can absolutely be the difference between winning and "losing" if you are at the pointy end of the race, and they frequently ARE the difference.  On the other hand, they can be the difference between being uncomfortable and enjoying yourself if you're really not in it to win it. 

Your event is your own.......have fun with it.  Just know that if you ever REALLY want to be competitive you have to put down some fast transitions.

2015-09-14 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
I've always said races are won or lost in transition!!!

They are definitely important, and the more you can practice it and get it down quick, the better off you will be. Your race time doesn't stop when your in transition, so saving time anywhere you can is a bonus.

Now you can't compare transition times from one race to the next since they are all different. Where the race clocks you changes - some races start transition right when you exit the water, others are you enter the transition area for example - so too many variables from one race to the next to compare.

But definitely practice and get in and out as fast as you can!

Here's a blog post I wrote earlier this year on how I set up my transition area:

http://www.tzcoaching.com/2015/05/18/how-to-set-up-your-transition-...

2015-09-14 6:36 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Brooklyn, New York
There's nothing more aggravating than running your hardest 5k in race while thinking to yourself, damnnnn I could use those 20....30 seconds back right about now
2015-09-14 6:42 PM

User image

Pro

T1 - Put your helmet on and go.  Get your glasses on your face when you can.  Put your feet in your shoes when you are up to speed. 

T2 - Feet out of shoes on way to transition.  Rack your bike.  Take your helmet off.  Put on your shoes and go.

It takes seconds to get it done.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-14 6:47 PM

(trans1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trans1.jpg (114KB - 3 downloads)
2015-09-14 6:44 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Time is time.

You could be a BOP swimmer, cyclist and runner.....but there's absolutely NO reason anyone should suck in transition.

I agree that it's your race, though. I'd sure hate to know I was faster in all 3 disciplines than the person who finished ahead of me............because I got beat in transition(s).

2015-09-14 6:44 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Left Brain

How important they are is entirely up to you.  They can absolutely be the difference between winning and "losing" if you are at the pointy end of the race, and they frequently ARE the difference.  On the other hand, they can be the difference between being uncomfortable and enjoying yourself if you're really not in it to win it. 

Your event is your own.......have fun with it.  Just know that if you ever REALLY want to be competitive you have to put down some fast transitions.

First hand experience with that. 2 seconds from the overall in one case.

2015-09-14 6:45 PM

Master
Northern IL

Is that bucket strong enough to sit on?

2015-09-14 6:49 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Is that bucket strong enough to sit on?

Dude - I would drag a recliner into transition if I could fit it in my car.  We have fast and slow people in my family.

2015-09-14 6:49 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

T1 - Put your helmet on and go.  Get your glasses on your face when you can.  Put your feet in your shoes when you are up to speed. 

T2 - Feet out of shoes on way to transition.  Rack your bike.  Take your helmet off.  Put on your shoes and go.

Way to leave out the ever lov'n get the heck out of a wetsuit quickly without ripping it part.......my favorite. T2 aint the issue lol
2015-09-14 6:52 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer

Way to leave out the ever lov'n get the heck out of a wetsuit quickly without ripping it part.......my favorite. T2 aint the issue lol

Cut your suit at the ankles and the wrists.  Apply body glide on your body AND the suit (rubber sticks to rubber)  Have it at your waist when you get to T1....push it down to your knees when you stop - step out of it while you put your helmet on.  It adds almost nothing.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-09-14 6:54 PM

2015-09-14 7:01 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
How much time do you think is saved (makes difference etc.) between putting shoes on standing vs. getting into them while they'vealready been clipped in?
2015-09-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer How much time do you think is saved (makes difference etc.) between putting shoes on standing vs. getting into them while they'vealready been clipped in?

It's not just putting them on, but you obviously lose seconds there......you also save time running through transition and you save time again mounting your bike. If it's a local/regional race and the transition is big you can lose the race right there.  It's pretty substantial even in a small transition area, especially in a sprint/Oly when those seconds count if you are competitive.

2015-09-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #5140763

User image

Denver, Colorado
You guys are awesome! Thank you for your feedback.

I do not qualify for a podium, but I have my personal goals based on what I know my body and experienxe can handle (for example: make it under 2 hours or make it in first 100 of age group, etc). And I am definitely looking for ways to save my time. Just like you said - I do not want to be in the middle of my 5k and think I could have saved few seconds in T2.
I think being more experienced with races gives some ideas too. I avoid plenty of mistakes when doing my second race.
Still, having those little dilemmas - should I dry my feet perfectly after swim part or just a bit and put the socks on wet feet?

Mary
2015-09-14 8:06 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83  - should I dry my feet perfectly after swim part

No

2015-09-14 8:26 PM
in reply to: #5140811

User image

Denver, Colorado

2015-09-14 9:19 PM
in reply to: #5140820

User image

, North Carolina
It's funny you mention it, because that is one thing my wife who has very little tri knowledge noticed at my last race. My T1&2 times were between 30-45 seconds where others were spending 2-3 minutes in transition.

Also, I know for a fact I won my AG in a race last year because of my transitions. I won by 6 seconds and every bit of that time was T time
2015-09-14 10:24 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

I can tell you that with my recent race, I lost about 30+ positions on slow T's, which I am learning are just as important as the disciplines.yes, i'm a newbie.

I easily could have saved 4 1/2 mins if I pushed a little harder or just picked up the pace, but that being said I lost 2 1/2 mins on my run. Put that into perspective, that's about 7% of my total time(hope I did my math right). 1:32 vs a 1:39 is huge on a short Sprint race IMO.
2015-09-15 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Had the fastest combined t1/2 time at nationals. Given the cancelled swim and a sore knee I had to find a way to stay competitive. It worked and it will be a different game at worlds with the new draft legal format. The one guy who used to swim against me is 40 next year.

Coz Will be no wetsuits, fast flat bike and full gas on the run.

The world cup has a 4 lap bike. It will be interesting to see if the AG bike is 2 or 3 laps to reduce the interaction between groups. So far they said you cant draft the opposite gender. I am hoping to swim fast and 'get lost' with another wave.
2015-09-15 2:53 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by marysia83  - should I dry my feet perfectly after swim part

No

and forget the socks too. If you need socks when you run put them on after your bike when your feet are dry. But better still train so you can go with out them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Swim timing end, transition T1 time start

Started by Pete1234
Views: 1899 Posts: 11

2011-05-03 10:42 PM Pete1234

transitions, and why they are important! Pages: 1 2

Started by newbz
Views: 2432 Posts: 35

2009-12-23 7:37 AM ron brownlow

Fast transitions are important!!!

Started by famelec
Views: 424 Posts: 1

2007-04-02 2:59 PM famelec

Transition time during a brick?

Started by snoopy
Views: 704 Posts: 7

2006-04-22 7:51 PM Det

Transition Times

Started by lexington476
Views: 547 Posts: 2

2005-05-09 5:23 PM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.