General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Length to 1sr HIM and Im Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-22 8:52 PM

User image

Subject: Length to 1sr HIM and Im
For all those that have completed a 1/2 and Full - how many years after starting did it take you to get there. Did you run slot of half marathons and marathons before doing the HIM and IM

2015-09-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: tjrussjr1

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Length to 1sr HIM and Im

My first race was in an April and I did my first HIM the following November.  Did a second HIM the next April then my first IM the November after that.

So 7 months after my first race to do an HIM and 19 months after my first race to do  an IM.  (with plenty of shorter races in between)

I probably would say on hind sight that I rushed it.  But hell, it's what I wanted to do, I suffered no injuries, and had fun.  so no harm done.  I just could have performed better had I built more of a base.  I constantly got better in HIM's and IM's after that.

2015-09-22 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

First tri in 2009

First 70.3 in 2010

First IM in 2010 (about 7 months after first 70.3)

Still have never done a standalone 13.1 or 26.2.

2015-09-22 11:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Ran a half marathon after attempting the HIM and IM. Didn't really train specifically for it, just used the run fitness I had and went for it.

More and more, finding it funny how people think they have to run marathons for the IM. Not just run long, but race one. Or even some. Seems to become more prominent as the distance goes up too. Haven't heard so much about people getting into time trials for the bike. Same with swim races. It's always the marathon.

2015-09-23 12:34 AM
in reply to: #5142554

User image

I agree - even though it's the same distance a marathon has to be a whole different beast that a 26.2 after biking 112. I have no desire to run a marathon before I run an IM solely because I don't want to syke myself out
2015-09-23 3:09 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

First race in 2009, first IM in 2012, first HIM in 2013 (yes you read that right).  I think I did one HM prior to the IM and a couple since then.  I have no desire to do a marathon - ever.

2015-09-23 7:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

First race in 2009, first IM in 2012, first HIM in 2013 (yes you read that right).  I think I did one HM prior to the IM and a couple since then.  I have no desire to do a marathon - ever.

Run your next HM fast enough, and you might start looking at BQ times...

2015-09-23 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Generally, I like to see athletes complete at least a season and a half of racing before taking on a HIM.  That usually means about 2 years of year-round training to get to that point.  So, in North America, say someone starts training in January (New Years resolution).  They complete their first sprint tri in the spring.  Do a couple more sprints and an Oly or two that year.  Train throughout the following winter, then do a couple more sprints and Oly's the next year, culminating with a HIM later that season.

Another year after that, and they can be prepared for an IM.

IMO, HM's and full marathons aren't necessary for a triathlete.  Of course the training is helpful physiologically, and to learn how to pace longer events in general, but a marathon does little to prepare a triathlete specifically for the IM run.  The only thing those two runs have in common is the distance.

2015-09-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by brigby1

Ran a half marathon after attempting the HIM and IM. Didn't really train specifically for it, just used the run fitness I had and went for it.

More and more, finding it funny how people think they have to run marathons for the IM. Not just run long, but race one. Or even some. Seems to become more prominent as the distance goes up too. Haven't heard so much about people getting into time trials for the bike. Same with swim races. It's always the marathon.

I think racing a full marathon is not a bad idea prior to doing an IM.  I've never done either, but am seriously starting to think about a marathon next year, and ramping up my running over the next 6-8 months so I can conservatively build the mileage before a focused training block.  In the back of my head this also goes to building a further running base that I could use if I do a full IM.  I just look at it as another piece of the puzzle if you have a long term outlook.  To your point though - you don't have to run one before an IM.  Oh, and I like the idea of TT's for the bike - looking at doing some local ones next year if they are early enough in the season so I can test FTP/CP in a "race" setting.

OP - did my first HIM at the end of my second full year of Tri's (had done 2 try a tri's before that).  Tough course, and I found out I wasn't nearly as prepared as I thought I was.  The distances aren't going anywhere, and there is a lot to be said for learning to race short course first before stepping up to long course.

2015-09-23 8:26 AM

User image

Exton, PA
1st tri 2007
1st HIM was fall of 2008 (with a couple of sprints and an OLY done first)
1st IM June 2015

1st Marathon Nov 2014
1st Half Marathon coming up in Oct 2015
2015-09-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

1st tri (sprint) was in 2011

1st HM also in 2011

Oly in 2012

HIM: attempted in 2012, DNF due to underestimating the distance and struggled through the bike.  

HIM: completed in 2013, and have since done 2 per year.

IM 1st will be in 2016, so basically a 5 year plan to get to Ironman which was my goal starting out as I wanted to do an Ironman the year I turn 40.   

And I have absolutely no desire to run a standalone full Marathon!

2015-09-23 9:53 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by GoFaster

I think racing a full marathon is not a bad idea prior to doing an IM.  I've never done either, but am seriously starting to think about a marathon next year, and ramping up my running over the next 6-8 months so I can conservatively build the mileage before a focused training block.  In the back of my head this also goes to building a further running base that I could use if I do a full IM.  I just look at it as another piece of the puzzle if you have a long term outlook.

To be honest... running is rarely the problem with an Ironman.  Cycling fitness, pacing, and race execution are the usual reasons a race can go from successful to awful in the blink of an eye.  You can be the greatest runner on the planet but if you go into an Ironman undertrained on the bike, and/or booger your pacing, and/or booger your race execution... you'll walk most of the IM marathon.  Run training doesn't mean sh*t if you can't ride a bike or execute a race well.

2015-09-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

I think racing a full marathon is not a bad idea prior to doing an IM.  I've never done either, but am seriously starting to think about a marathon next year, and ramping up my running over the next 6-8 months so I can conservatively build the mileage before a focused training block.  In the back of my head this also goes to building a further running base that I could use if I do a full IM.  I just look at it as another piece of the puzzle if you have a long term outlook.

To be honest... running is rarely the problem with an Ironman.  Cycling fitness, pacing, and race execution are the usual reasons a race can go from successful to awful in the blink of an eye.  You can be the greatest runner on the planet but if you go into an Ironman undertrained on the bike, and/or booger your pacing, and/or booger your race execution... you'll walk most of the IM marathon.  Run training doesn't mean sh*t if you can't ride a bike or execute a race well.

True for me. And not really specific to Ironman.  I started out running and didn't know how to swim at all. So i only really did marathons before only because that was what I was doing. I wasn't into tri. My long distance running really has no bearing on the progression to triathlon. It was learning to swim and be comfortable in the water that I spent time before moving to long distance tri. 

I did HM and Marathons  when i was running only - my first Marathon in 2006. I did swim lesson in 2008, then did short distance tris in 2009 and did a HIM in 2010. The swim was still dicey for me at that point but I was pretty determined, apparently.  I did an IM in 2012.  

I agree that a solid running base will never hurt. And it is great to have the run be strong leg of the race since it's the one that you finish with. But you don't have to run marathons to get that. 

2015-09-23 10:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

I think racing a full marathon is not a bad idea prior to doing an IM.  I've never done either, but am seriously starting to think about a marathon next year, and ramping up my running over the next 6-8 months so I can conservatively build the mileage before a focused training block.  In the back of my head this also goes to building a further running base that I could use if I do a full IM.  I just look at it as another piece of the puzzle if you have a long term outlook.  To your point though - you don't have to run one before an IM.  Oh, and I like the idea of TT's for the bike - looking at doing some local ones next year if they are early enough in the season so I can test FTP/CP in a "race" setting.

OP - did my first HIM at the end of my second full year of Tri's (had done 2 try a tri's before that).  Tough course, and I found out I wasn't nearly as prepared as I thought I was.  The distances aren't going anywhere, and there is a lot to be said for learning to race short course first before stepping up to long course.

Neil, you're conflating several things about running. Others addressed being able to swim and bike well enough beforehand, so what you want to do is become a better runner. You don't have to actually run the marathons to do that. Many can see their running improve by going for a marathon, but that's simply because they will most likely put in more miles running than they have been doing. Your run can improve even more if you take those miles and redistribute them so that the plan isn't so long run heavy.

2015-09-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
First tri - May 2014
First HIM - Jan 2015
First IM - May 2015 (a year to the day of the first tri)

Also note that the first tri in May 2014 had zero training before hand. I got drunk with my brother and signed up on a whim. So I had 364 training days prior to the IM.

Would I recommend the above? Nope. The HIM was fine and I reached my goal of sub-5 hrs. But the IM bike was hilly (by my South Florida standards) and I just didn't have the strength or experience on the bike for it and got my butt whooped.

Edit: by "no training" I mean no triathlon training. I had been running prior to the event, but hadn't touched a bike or a pool in almost 20 years.

Edited by 3mar 2015-09-23 10:42 AM
2015-09-23 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Neil, you're conflating several things about running. Others addressed being able to swim and bike well enough beforehand, so what you want to do is become a better runner. You don't have to actually run the marathons to do that. Many can see their running improve by going for a marathon, but that's simply because they will most likely put in more miles running than they have been doing. Your run can improve even more if you take those miles and redistribute them so that the plan isn't so long run heavy.

I get what you're saying Ben.  I just found that for me (n=1), I start to break down a bit as the run gets longer.  Shorter, more consistent runs are certainly key to building a solid base, but I do "feel" that the long run has it's place.  Part of that is not only physical, but it's also mental - again, that's for me.

2015-09-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Agree 100% with this.  The point I was aiming for is that training for a marathon can be used as a goal to help build that running base - as Ben pointed out, there are other (perhaps better ways) of building that running base  -that base can be used for a future IM.  The intent was not to say you would train for a marathon the same as an IM marathon or that you would run them the same way.

2015-09-23 12:18 PM

User image

I did both a HM and a couple 1.2 mile open-water swim races before my first HIM. I don't think the HM was very useful. It is a very different experience than the run in the HIM. In the HM, you go out as a pack - and that encouraged me to go out too fast. I ended up hurting toward the end. In the HIM, there were only a handful of people in T2 with me, and I didn't experience the "pack mentality".

On the other hand, I did find the 1.2 mile OWS races useful. It was very much like the swim in the HIM. As a weak swimmer, it was a good opportunity to increase my confidence in the swim without the additional pressure and complexity of the bike and the run.
2015-09-23 1:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Generally, I like to see athletes complete at least a season and a half of racing before taking on a HIM. That usually means about 2 years of year-round training to get to that point. So, in North America, say someone starts training in January (New Years resolution). They complete their first sprint tri in the spring. Do a couple more sprints and an Oly or two that year. Train throughout the following winter, then do a couple more sprints and Oly's the next year, culminating with a HIM later that season.

Another year after that, and they can be prepared for an IM.

IMO, HM's and full marathons aren't necessary for a triathlete. Of course the training is helpful physiologically, and to learn how to pace longer events in general, but a marathon does little to prepare a triathlete specifically for the IM run. The only thing those two runs have in common is the distance.

This is pretty much what I have set out for myself. I started training the run (as that the weakest link for me) so I have a 10k and a few 5k left this year (Im in New Jersey). Then planning on at least 2 sprints and 2 Oly in 2016, followed winter training and a HIM in 2017. Then re-address training after that and see if I am ready for a IM.

Edited by tjrussjr1 2015-09-23 1:36 PM
2015-09-23 1:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thank you sooo much for this discussion. I had a huge fear that the only thing that would stop me for training for IM was this ...awful... marathon race!
Mary
2015-09-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 Thank you sooo much for this discussion. I had a huge fear that the only thing that would stop me for training for IM was this ...awful... marathon race! Mary

Oh, that's the least of your worries...you should be more concerned about the sharks during the swim.  

Personally, I've actually never run a standalone marathon, and have only run 2 standalone HM's.  It's not an issue.

2015-09-23 2:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

I get what you're saying Ben.  I just found that for me (n=1), I start to break down a bit as the run gets longer.  Shorter, more consistent runs are certainly key to building a solid base, but I do "feel" that the long run has it's place.  Part of that is not only physical, but it's also mental - again, that's for me.

I believe the LR has its place too. The issue comes in with the various marathon plans. The LR can be 40-55% of the the weekly volume. And on a regular basis. That's just too much to be doing all the time. I know Ultra folks may do it, but more as part of the race build, not an over the winter build that is more general training. You can still have a longer run in the general training, just don't get carried away with it. Divide up the miles better for the run focus period, then during the race build push on the aspects more specific to that. For a longer race, the long run is probably going to be one thing that is pushed out farther.

2015-09-23 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
while it's possible to bang out an IM early stages of getting into triathlons, it's bad for a few reasons:

1. the possibility of getting injured during training is very high. mostly this is from over training "too much too fast" syndrome.
stress fractures especially, but muscle and tendon injuries too. Not that you won't encounter injuries, you will, but knowing how to avoid them and handle them when they do start happening is key.

2. "been there, done that" syndrome. if you blow your wad too early and do the IM, your appreciation and stoke for doing other races may die out. I've seen many gung-ho folks go a bit too hard and do their HIM or IM and disappear. Maybe they were fulfilled, but maybe not. If they had spaced it out and built their experience from ground up instead they might still be racing and enjoying the sport.

building your experience and body over a period of time, gradually increasing the "bar" is my best suggestion.

So I agree with what TriMyBest said.

In my case, I went to HIM the second year, and IM at the end of my 3rd year. I could have spaced it out more, but that's how I did it.
2015-09-23 2:54 PM

User image

First marathon in 2009 and also 2010, and 2011.
First tri in 2010.
First half marathon in 2010, and then again in 2012.
First HIM in 2011, and also 2012 and 2013.
First and only IM in 2013.

Triathlons simply come down to swim fitness, bike fitness, and run fitness...then executing a pacing plan.  I would say the shorter the races are, the more similar the stand alone races apply.  Such as an open 1.5k swim, 10k run race or a 40k TT compared to an Oly tri.  Once you get to the HIM and IM distances though...the single sport race distances don't apply as much as just pure fitness...for me anyway.  There is nothing about a open marathon that is similar to an IM run other than the 26.2 mile distance.  They are completely different.

2015-09-23 6:28 PM
in reply to: #5142554

User image

Denver, Colorado
How are they different? I am super curious.
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Length to 1sr HIM and Im Rss Feed  

of 2