Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-10-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Gun Advocates, What Say You??
Originally posted by powerman

So JMK, what is the "irresponsible gun owner" problem you are trying to solve? How many deaths/injuries a year does it cause? I have yet to hear about the irresponsible gun owner epidemic we have in this country. We don't seem to agree on what we should do about murder/mass murder.... But you want to tackle irresponsible people?

Road rage is a crime. Brandishing is a crime. Intimidation, harassment, false imprisonment all crimes. The law itself make a distinction with a misdemeanor /felony/aggravated assault. Different levels of punishment for different levels of severity. I've actually been in a few bar fights. Never threw the first punch. But still happened. But I should be barred for life hu?

It seems the stumbling block here is the difference between an inalienable right, and a privilege. A gun is a right. I don't need your permission. SCOTUS has ruled very clearly from day one, the only way you can be stripped of a right, is through due process. The Constitution makes that clear. The ACLU has fought tirelessly against any form of "test" for rights. What do you think Jim Crow was about? The left has an absolute cow by the mere mention of voter ID. Why do you think that is? Seems simple enough... Prove you are who you say you are and a legal citizen before you get to vote... Absolute cow. Look at all those poor people you are trying to disenfranchised burdening them with an ID. Voting is a right!

Heck, the ACLU has set more scumbags free than Castro ever dreamed. And while some of their results may be quite distasteful to me, thank God somebody is fighting to protect our rights. A pedophile goes free over a technicality of procedure, but you want to strip the rights of someone you think is irresponsible?

As much as you and I may agree the world is full of idiots.... We don't get to decide who is covered under the Constitution and who isn't with a "test". The Constitution already decided that.

It's the exact same problem the right has with a lot of stuff... Don't wrap yourself up in the flag and talk to me about freedom, and then try to keep from those you disagree with on how they decide to use it. Either we are free, or we are not. You do not get to decide what someone else does with their freedom. If they break the law, we have a process for that.

You're really not hearing me at all. It's a shame. As soon as anyone starts talking about guns, you completely lose your objectivity. This was a pretty good dialogue until you decided to weigh in. You make it all about the Left and the Right and "libs" and the ACLU and it's not and everyone sees it but you.

I'm not talking about stripping anyone of their rights. I've said over and over and over again that I don't have any issue with people owning guns legally and responsibly. Buy your gun legally, get trained to use it, store it safely where only you or other trained people can get to it, and dispose of it responsibly when you don't want it anymore. That's all I'm looking for. and if you can't be trusted to live up to those simple rules, you shouldn't be trusted with a gun, and every legal remedy should be brought to bear to make sure you don't get to have one.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-10-14 6:53 PM

2015-10-14 10:28 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by powerman So JMK, what is the "irresponsible gun owner" problem you are trying to solve? How many deaths/injuries a year does it cause? I have yet to hear about the irresponsible gun owner epidemic we have in this country. We don't seem to agree on what we should do about murder/mass murder.... But you want to tackle irresponsible people? Road rage is a crime. Brandishing is a crime. Intimidation, harassment, false imprisonment all crimes. The law itself make a distinction with a misdemeanor /felony/aggravated assault. Different levels of punishment for different levels of severity. I've actually been in a few bar fights. Never threw the first punch. But still happened. But I should be barred for life hu? It seems the stumbling block here is the difference between an inalienable right, and a privilege. A gun is a right. I don't need your permission. SCOTUS has ruled very clearly from day one, the only way you can be stripped of a right, is through due process. The Constitution makes that clear. The ACLU has fought tirelessly against any form of "test" for rights. What do you think Jim Crow was about? The left has an absolute cow by the mere mention of voter ID. Why do you think that is? Seems simple enough... Prove you are who you say you are and a legal citizen before you get to vote... Absolute cow. Look at all those poor people you are trying to disenfranchised burdening them with an ID. Voting is a right! Heck, the ACLU has set more scumbags free than Castro ever dreamed. And while some of their results may be quite distasteful to me, thank God somebody is fighting to protect our rights. A pedophile goes free over a technicality of procedure, but you want to strip the rights of someone you think is irresponsible? As much as you and I may agree the world is full of idiots.... We don't get to decide who is covered under the Constitution and who isn't with a "test". The Constitution already decided that. It's the exact same problem the right has with a lot of stuff... Don't wrap yourself up in the flag and talk to me about freedom, and then try to keep from those you disagree with on how they decide to use it. Either we are free, or we are not. You do not get to decide what someone else does with their freedom. If they break the law, we have a process for that.
You're really not hearing me at all. It's a shame. As soon as anyone starts talking about guns, you completely lose your objectivity. This was a pretty good dialogue until you decided to weigh in. You make it all about the Left and the Right and "libs" and the ACLU and it's not and everyone sees it but you. I'm not talking about stripping anyone of their rights. I've said over and over and over again that I don't have any issue with people owning guns legally and responsibly. Buy your gun legally, get trained to use it, store it safely where only you or other trained people can get to it, and dispose of it responsibly when you don't want it anymore. That's all I'm looking for. and if you can't be trusted to live up to those simple rules, you shouldn't be trusted with a gun, and every legal remedy should be brought to bear to make sure you don't get to have one.

Shame indeed. I'm not trying to make this a left or right thing, or anything of the like. What I am trying to do is give context.... there are political issues in this country. This is one of them. In some circumstances some people won't stand for it... in others they don't see they are doing the same thing. It does not matter what my opinion on the subject is... but some context is helpful... voter ID. It's a divisive issue. Yet the exact same things are at play in this issue. Some people think others should do something, others disagree. That's all. But where rights are involved... it's not that easy. There are a couple such issues like that, this is another.

The whole problem with your "wants" is... it's not really up for debate. Rights mean something. Inalienable has a definition. In many other instances, people will defend rights vehemently, because it is important to them... but stuff they don't care about... ehhh... you can do away with that. But for some reason... the 2A is the only one where some feel that heavy regulation of a right is OK. There might be legal standing for that... "IF" you can show there is a legitimate need. However.... other than wanting more regulation, you have yet to give me one single law that addresses the actual problem... gun violence/crime/mass murder. Give me one single regulation that will have a defined and definite impact on that, and I will listen. So far, you have proposed more of the same, and ideas on how to regulate irresponsibility. And the whole time... all your proposals would be fine... if bearing arms was actually a privilege. But it isn't. It's a right. An inalienable one.

And regulation I do agree with... back ground checks. Even for private sales. Full auto weapons being heavily regulated... even though I can own them. I have no reason to. But all I have to do is pay the tax, and fill out the form, and pay through the nose for a full auto M16. Prohibited person... as deemed through due process.. Minors can't buy pistols. Adjudicated (due process) mentally defective, or an alcoholic/addict. Domestic violence convictions... all the stuff on the background check... I agree with. Training for permits, I agree.

So, propose something that actually addresses gun violence... the willful act of harming another... and mass shootings.... or repeal the 2A. Because when you repeal the 2A, you can do all those things you want. You can ALLOW responsible people to own guns, and you can prohibit others you deem unworthy.... before they actually have committed a crime. Because you do not need due process to prohibit certain privileges for certain people. And then we can have all the regulation you want.

Here is an example of the ridiculousness of gun control... NY passed the law... no more than 5 rounds... they amended it to 7. You can legally own higher capacity magazines, but you can't load more than 7. Let that sink in for a moment. Let it marinate.... I can own all the 15 round magazines I want... but it is a crime to load more than 7 in it. Absolute idiocy... that does nothing to address the problem. Do you think Lanza or Homes would have only loaded 7 if they lived in NY???

2015-10-15 8:19 AM
in reply to: powerman

New user

All the talk that more laws and regulations will reduce gun violence is summed up by a saying we have down here, "a gate only keeps out an honest man".

2015-10-15 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by powerman So JMK, what is the "irresponsible gun owner" problem you are trying to solve? How many deaths/injuries a year does it cause? I have yet to hear about the irresponsible gun owner epidemic we have in this country. We don't seem to agree on what we should do about murder/mass murder.... But you want to tackle irresponsible people? Road rage is a crime. Brandishing is a crime. Intimidation, harassment, false imprisonment all crimes. The law itself make a distinction with a misdemeanor /felony/aggravated assault. Different levels of punishment for different levels of severity. I've actually been in a few bar fights. Never threw the first punch. But still happened. But I should be barred for life hu? It seems the stumbling block here is the difference between an inalienable right, and a privilege. A gun is a right. I don't need your permission. SCOTUS has ruled very clearly from day one, the only way you can be stripped of a right, is through due process. The Constitution makes that clear. The ACLU has fought tirelessly against any form of "test" for rights. What do you think Jim Crow was about? The left has an absolute cow by the mere mention of voter ID. Why do you think that is? Seems simple enough... Prove you are who you say you are and a legal citizen before you get to vote... Absolute cow. Look at all those poor people you are trying to disenfranchised burdening them with an ID. Voting is a right! Heck, the ACLU has set more scumbags free than Castro ever dreamed. And while some of their results may be quite distasteful to me, thank God somebody is fighting to protect our rights. A pedophile goes free over a technicality of procedure, but you want to strip the rights of someone you think is irresponsible? As much as you and I may agree the world is full of idiots.... We don't get to decide who is covered under the Constitution and who isn't with a "test". The Constitution already decided that. It's the exact same problem the right has with a lot of stuff... Don't wrap yourself up in the flag and talk to me about freedom, and then try to keep from those you disagree with on how they decide to use it. Either we are free, or we are not. You do not get to decide what someone else does with their freedom. If they break the law, we have a process for that.
You're really not hearing me at all. It's a shame. As soon as anyone starts talking about guns, you completely lose your objectivity. This was a pretty good dialogue until you decided to weigh in. You make it all about the Left and the Right and "libs" and the ACLU and it's not and everyone sees it but you. I'm not talking about stripping anyone of their rights. I've said over and over and over again that I don't have any issue with people owning guns legally and responsibly. Buy your gun legally, get trained to use it, store it safely where only you or other trained people can get to it, and dispose of it responsibly when you don't want it anymore. That's all I'm looking for. and if you can't be trusted to live up to those simple rules, you shouldn't be trusted with a gun, and every legal remedy should be brought to bear to make sure you don't get to have one.

Shame indeed. I'm not trying to make this a left or right thing, or anything of the like. What I am trying to do is give context.... there are political issues in this country. This is one of them. In some circumstances some people won't stand for it... in others they don't see they are doing the same thing. It does not matter what my opinion on the subject is... but some context is helpful... voter ID. It's a divisive issue. Yet the exact same things are at play in this issue. Some people think others should do something, others disagree. That's all. But where rights are involved... it's not that easy. There are a couple such issues like that, this is another.

The whole problem with your "wants" is... it's not really up for debate. Rights mean something. Inalienable has a definition. In many other instances, people will defend rights vehemently, because it is important to them... but stuff they don't care about... ehhh... you can do away with that. But for some reason... the 2A is the only one where some feel that heavy regulation of a right is OK. There might be legal standing for that... "IF" you can show there is a legitimate need. However.... other than wanting more regulation, you have yet to give me one single law that addresses the actual problem... gun violence/crime/mass murder. Give me one single regulation that will have a defined and definite impact on that, and I will listen. So far, you have proposed more of the same, and ideas on how to regulate irresponsibility. And the whole time... all your proposals would be fine... if bearing arms was actually a privilege. But it isn't. It's a right. An inalienable one.

And regulation I do agree with... back ground checks. Even for private sales. Full auto weapons being heavily regulated... even though I can own them. I have no reason to. But all I have to do is pay the tax, and fill out the form, and pay through the nose for a full auto M16. Prohibited person... as deemed through due process.. Minors can't buy pistols. Adjudicated (due process) mentally defective, or an alcoholic/addict. Domestic violence convictions... all the stuff on the background check... I agree with. Training for permits, I agree.

So, propose something that actually addresses gun violence... the willful act of harming another... and mass shootings.... or repeal the 2A. Because when you repeal the 2A, you can do all those things you want. You can ALLOW responsible people to own guns, and you can prohibit others you deem unworthy.... before they actually have committed a crime. Because you do not need due process to prohibit certain privileges for certain people. And then we can have all the regulation you want.

Here is an example of the ridiculousness of gun control... NY passed the law... no more than 5 rounds... they amended it to 7. You can legally own higher capacity magazines, but you can't load more than 7. Let that sink in for a moment. Let it marinate.... I can own all the 15 round magazines I want... but it is a crime to load more than 7 in it. Absolute idiocy... that does nothing to address the problem. Do you think Lanza or Homes would have only loaded 7 if they lived in NY???

YEah, you're still missing my point, and so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm really not trying to regulate guns or magazines at all, because guns aren't the problem. I don't care that you own a fully automatic weapon because I'm satisfied that you're going to be responsible with it.

The problem is that there are too many people with guns That's different than saying there are too many guns. My point is that if you try to enforce existing laws, and maybe create a couple of new ones that try to shift the larger balance of gun ownership towards the responsible gun owners and away from the idiots, eventually-- not tomorrow, or next week, but eventually-- you'll have less crime as a result. Because the responsible gun owners aren't the ones committing the crimes. There is no cure for crime. There is no 100% cure for mass shootings. They will happen no matter what. Any attempt to fix the problem by regulating the guns themselves is pointless.
2015-10-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by NXS

All the talk that more laws and regulations will reduce gun violence is summed up by a saying we have down here, "a gate only keeps out an honest man".

That's funny. I'm not sure where "down there" is, but the last few times I was down South (Birmingham, AL, Tuscaloosa, Houston, and West Fl) I noticed that they sure like their gated communities down there. So, I guess the point of the gated communities is to keep out all of the honest men? LOL
2015-10-15 2:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by NXS All the talk that more laws and regulations will reduce gun violence is summed up by a saying we have down here, "a gate only keeps out an honest man".
That's funny. I'm not sure where "down there" is, but the last few times I was down South (Birmingham, AL, Tuscaloosa, Houston, and West Fl) I noticed that they sure like their gated communities down there. So, I guess the point of the gated communities is to keep out all of the honest men? LOL

I always make fun of the gated communities around here because I've yet to see one that the gate isn't broken and open all day/night.  lol

2015-10-15 4:54 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn  YEah, you're still missing my point, and so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm really not trying to regulate guns or magazines at all, because guns aren't the problem. I don't care that you own a fully automatic weapon because I'm satisfied that you're going to be responsible with it. The problem is that there are too many people with guns That's different than saying there are too many guns. My point is that if you try to enforce existing laws, and maybe create a couple of new ones that try to shift the larger balance of gun ownership towards the responsible gun owners and away from the idiots, eventually-- not tomorrow, or next week, but eventually-- you'll have less crime as a result. Because the responsible gun owners aren't the ones committing the crimes. There is no cure for crime. There is no 100% cure for mass shootings. They will happen no matter what. Any attempt to fix the problem by regulating the guns themselves is pointless.

OK...  I heard you. I understand your point now. Make acquisition difficult to discourage ownership. That's just a paraphrase, not a snarky comment or trying to put words in your mouth. The goal being that the "wrong" people are discouraged, and the "right" people can still do what they want. 

So we can do that. It doesn't bar ownership, but it doesn't stop determined people. Determined legal people that might wind up doing something illegal. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me. It isn't going to change my life. Cool, I still get all the guns I want.

However, I don't think you are getting my point. We can both agree. We can both feel good about it. I can now claim I have common sense because I agreed to common sense gun control. (that is snarky ) but it is still a hope and a prayer and nothing meaningful is actually happening. And 20 years from now, when we are both old and crotchety, we will be in the same boat saying the same thing that "more needs to be done". 

And at it's core... it is still an end around a right. Your goal is to limit ownership. A noble goal to be sure. Because you and I both don't want crazy irresponsible potential criminals to have guns. But the goal itself is flawed. SCOTUS has ruled is similar cases that if your goal is to limit rights in general, it's a no go. So all I'm trying to say is, if you want to address certain problems, then that might be reasonable. But if too many people have guns, and you want fewer people to have guns.... no matter how you dress that up and spin it, you are still trying to restrict rights. That's not how this works. 

SCOTUS has also ruled that the 2A can most certainly be regulated. It isn't an open ended no rules right. That is why we have the gun control we do have. We might be able to make it better, but gun control in general is limited in it's ability to keep bad things from happening. There might indeed be licensing in the future. Heller stated the decision did not rule out licenses. But it would have to be "shall issue", not "may issue" unless there was a specific reason. And their specific reason is due process... felon, mentally defective, drunk.... So no matter how big of a jerk idiot you are... if your record is clean... you get a gun. I'm not sure what other types of people we could preclude... violent misdemeanors. DUI? A history of drug abuse... a drug charge? Perhaps. 

It's not that I do not think something should be done... I simply think other more effective things could be done as has already been mentioned. Lock up violent offenders for good. Make room by not imprisoning non-violent offenders. Put an end to the drug war. Stop prosecution, lessen penalties, or flat out make them legal. But the drug war fuels the vast majority of gun violence. Begin paying for State mental hospitals again. Put money into mental health. Put money into drug addiction services. I simply feel that that will have a much bigger impact and help more of society in a variety of ways than simply putting more bandaids on with ineffective gun controls. 

2015-10-16 1:19 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

The inmates at Angola refer to the prison as a "gated community". Makes me laugh every time I see a gated community in a big city.

2015-10-16 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I think 2A is fundamentally flawed thinking; but the SCOTUS does not-so that's that.

Mental Health professionals should be able, with the touch of a button, to 'deny' someone the ability to buy and/or posses a firearm if they feel that person is a risk; but HIPPA and patient privacy prevents that from happening, as well.

Gun Ownership 'should' require more extensive Education and Training.  At least similar to Driver's Ed.  And it should be reoccurring.  Will it prevent mass shootings?  NO, but it 'may' prevent some accidental deaths.  And if it saves even ONE child....if that's YOUR child, then one is enough.

However....

When this thread started I had a very clear idea of what my OWN opinions were regarding Gun Violence and Gun Ownership. 

Now, after reading all of your posts, I'm not so sure  what the way forward is. 

Someone said it earlier  sic. "We keep trying to solve problems from the middle-not from the beginning".  (apologies for paraphrasing)

2015-10-17 1:04 PM
in reply to: #5144743

User image

Elite
So then would you support gun safety training in school next to drivers ed? I'm not talking about calling 911, I'm talking about how to safely HANDLE a firearm?
2015-10-17 2:11 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise

I think 2A is fundamentally flawed thinking; but the SCOTUS does not-so that's that.

Mental Health professionals should be able, with the touch of a button, to 'deny' someone the ability to buy and/or posses a firearm if they feel that person is a risk; but HIPPA and patient privacy prevents that from happening, as well.

Gun Ownership 'should' require more extensive Education and Training.  At least similar to Driver's Ed.  And it should be reoccurring.  Will it prevent mass shootings?  NO, but it 'may' prevent some accidental deaths.  And if it saves even ONE child....if that's YOUR child, then one is enough.

However....

When this thread started I had a very clear idea of what my OWN opinions were regarding Gun Violence and Gun Ownership. 

Someone said it earlier  sic. "We keep trying to solve problems from the middle-not from the beginning".  (apologies for paraphrasing)

Oh no......you did NOT just invoke the "for the children" clause.

2015-10-17 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

So then would you support gun safety training in school next to drivers ed? I'm not talking about calling 911, I'm talking about how to safely HANDLE a firearm?

I'd be all for this. People would be a lot less freaked out by guns if they were more familiar with them. I've said for a long time that using a gun safely is a life skill like swimming, cooking, or riding a bike that everyone should know how to do whether you plan to make a habit of it or not.

I don't think it should be mandatory--teachers don't have enough time to teach reading, math, art, gym, and other core subjects as it is, but I think it should be an after-school program for anyone who wants it. Theres a shooting range near where we go on vacation and I'm hoping that I can send my kid to a firearm safety class there at some point.

I've had some pretty heated discussions with my more strenuously anti-gun friends over this one, but I learned to shoot pistols and rifles in college in a course taught by the ROTC and it's satisfying to know that if someone handed me a gun that I'd at least have a rudimentary understanding of how to use it.
2015-10-18 12:10 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

However....

Yes.  Yes I did.  

As a country we spend billions of dollars teaching parents to use car seats correctly.  Hows about we teach gun owners to be more responsible around children.   Because a lot of them, obviously, didn't get the memo. 

2015-10-18 12:13 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by powerman So then would you support gun safety training in school next to drivers ed? I'm not talking about calling 911, I'm talking about how to safely HANDLE a firearm?

Sounds good.  But my Right Wing friends will demand to know who's gonna pay for it. 

What would be the incentive to take this type of course? 

2015-10-18 1:04 AM

User image

Pro

I was taught to handle a firearm safely by my Grandpa and my dad.  My son and daughters were taught by their Grandpa and me.  I suspect I will teach my Grandchildren along with their father.  No classes needed.....no cost to the taxpayer. 

I get the idea of safety classes....as long as everyone understands that there will still be accidental shootings and don't freak every time one happens.

2015-10-18 8:06 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

However....

Yes.  Yes I did.  

As a country we spend billions of dollars teaching parents to use car seats correctly.  Hows about we teach gun owners to be more responsible around children.   Because a lot of them, obviously, didn't get the memo. 

And kids are still dying because their parents didn't use the car seat correctly. You simply can't train stupid lazy people how to do things correctly. Same for guns. If you firearm is locked away and unloaded, nobody dies or gets hurt. Ever. But we have stupid lazy people who leave a loaded pistol in the nightstand. A loaded firearm has the potential to kill and will if the trigger is pulled and someone is in front of the barrel.

Both my grandfathers taught me to shoot and safely handle a gun. My father never taught me a thing about them nor did he ever take me shooting. He always had a loaded 38 in the night stand. I knew enough to never touch that pistol because of what I learned from my grandfathers. Looking back, he was completely irresponsible and had I never been taught gun safety, I could very easily have shot my self or friends while showing off Dad's pistol when he was at work. Fast forward to 4 years ago, I was cleaning out my Dad's belongings after he died. I found a loaded .380 auto in his night stand. My Dad wasn't stupid or lazy. He was hard headed. You can send people like my Dad to all kinds of training and you'll still get the same results. Mandatory training is a good idea and would help prevent a lot of accidents. Not all of them.

2015-10-18 8:23 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Tejas
Another example of when training would help. I used to target shoot with friends way back before I got married. The local gun range also had a real good gun shop. I was on the line plinking away and this lady came and took the lane right next to mine. I watched her unbox a brand new revolver. She managed to load it with no problem and even followed range rules by waiting for a cease fire to go downrange and set up a target. A soon as the range was declared hot, i watched this lady start spraying bullets into the dirt. She reloaded and apparently decided to raise the pistol up 45 degrees to avoid hitting the dirt. She sent 4 rounds over the range and into the next neighborhood before I could stop her. The range master also saw this and came running over to disarm her. They were discussing gun safety and he was teaching her to shoot when I left. She should have been given a course before being allowed to buy a gun because she could have very easily killed me, herself or someone else that day.
2015-10-18 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

However....

Yes.  Yes I did.  

There are few phrases in the english language that strike as much concern as "if it can safe just one life, isn't it worth it".  You can justify pretty much anything with such a phrase.  Seriously government control of every aspect of your life, your job, your hobbies, and most especially the ability to own firearms can be justified.

As an example, we should have mandatory counseling and ultrasounds for anyone considering an abortion because it could save just one life.  We should make it mandatory for all people to be in their homes by 10:00 every night because it could save just one life.  We should ban cars and make everyone ride bikes, i mean if it saves just one life.  We should make everyone go to church to learn about morality from the Bible because it could save one life you know.

I'm not advocating any of these things of course, but the "if it saves one life" is simply an absurd emotional argument no matter what the topic is.

2015-10-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

However....

Yes.  Yes I did.  

There are few phrases in the english language that strike as much concern as "if it can safe just one life, isn't it worth it".  You can justify pretty much anything with such a phrase.  Seriously government control of every aspect of your life, your job, your hobbies, and most especially the ability to own firearms can be justified.

As an example, we should have mandatory counseling and ultrasounds for anyone considering an abortion because it could save just one life.  We should make it mandatory for all people to be in their homes by 10:00 every night because it could save just one life.  We should ban cars and make everyone ride bikes, i mean if it saves just one life.  We should make everyone go to church to learn about morality from the Bible because it could save one life you know.

I'm not advocating any of these things of course, but the "if it saves one life" is simply an absurd emotional argument no matter what the topic is.

In the end......no lives will be saved.....it's a certainty.  

2015-10-18 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by tuwood

However....

Yes.  Yes I did.  

In the end......no lives will be saved.....it's a certainty.  

And here's where YOUR argument falls apart.....

Give me a number?  HOW MANY LIVES do we have to save before anything is 'worth it'.  

5?   10?    100?    1000?   You all put your heads together and come up with a number that the rest of us can use as a goalpost.  Say, it's a 1000; and it can be determined  that  "xxx" method will potentially save a 1000-THEN do we get some meaningful reform?   Of course we won't-the goals will move again. It'll be another 'unwinnable' argument.  THIS is why the NRA is so hell bent on NEVER allowing the Govt. to collect any kind of meaningful data regarding gun violence.  Because if we have tangible facts, then it goes without saying that we could incorporate 'meaningful' changes to existing laws.   And rabid pro-2A folks simply won't allow that.  Not for 1 life-not for a 1000.   IMO

2015-10-18 10:28 PM

User image

Pro
My point is that nobody gets out alive....we'll all die...some young, some old.....guns or no guns.In the end, the pro-gun people don't have to do anything....they have the Constitution on their side.....no argument, nothing to fall apart....sorry. The burden is 100 percent on you to show that 'meaningful' change would have any effect on criminals.....it's a sure thing that the thousands of laws already on the books aren't "meaningful", eh?

2015-10-19 12:56 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

LB, We are in almost 100% agreement on cause/effect of gun crime/violence and the criminal justice system. Tough road to hoe, there.

But A 15 yr old kid got shot in the face out here today by a friend who thought the gun was unloaded.   One of but dozens of horrible, preventable, accidental gun deaths that occurred today.  You don't think anything can be done about THAT-that's fine.  However, I'm not so content with the 'status quo'.  My biggest gripe is the scores of people who choose to do nothing (but wrap themselves up in the portions of the constitution that they AGREE with) will impede the work of those who aren't ready to simply give up. 

It's Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  Life > Liberty

2015-10-19 6:41 AM

User image

Pro

LB, We are in almost 100% agreement on cause/effect of gun crime/violence and the criminal justice system. Tough road to hoe, there.

But A 15 yr old kid got shot in the face out here today by a friend who thought the gun was unloaded.   One of but dozens of horrible, preventable, accidental gun deaths that occurred today.  You don't think anything can be done about THAT-that's fine.  However, I'm not so content with the 'status quo'.  My biggest gripe is the scores of people who choose to do nothing (but wrap themselves up in the portions of the constitution that they AGREE with) will impede the work of those who aren't ready to simply give up. 

Woah......sorry, we are not in agreement on life being greater than liberty thing....No way. In fact, l'm not interested in life without liberty. I wish we could prevent accidents....but we can't. Still, if you want to make some new laws to train people better and make penalties for being irresponsible, I won't fight that. BUT, as you know, no law has ever been enacted that prevents people from being stupid.
2015-10-19 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Woah......sorry, we are not in agreement on life being greater than liberty thing....No way. In fact, l'm not interested in life without liberty. I wish we could prevent accidents....but we can't. Still, if you want to make some new laws to train people better and make penalties for being irresponsible, I won't fight that. BUT, as you know, no law has ever been enacted that prevents people from being stupid.

Yeah, I read that on a bumper sticker somewhere. 

2015-10-19 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think the phrase life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness implies that all three of these things only exist without the other two.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Gun advocates plan 5k run Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 2776 Posts: 27

2013-07-05 3:15 PM 1_Mad_Madone

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1899 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2149 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 41048 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman

Gun threads - UPDATE

Started by Ron
Views: 2894 Posts: 2

2013-06-06 12:18 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?