Genessee Valley Harriers
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 53s
Overall Rank = 62/66F
Age Group = F60-69
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal/yogurt/raisins at 5 am. Coffee ( 2 cups half/caff.)
At 8:30 am, 1/2 Hammer Bar & 1/2 cup beet juice with 1/2 cup V8 purple. At 10:30, just before warmup run, ate Hammer caffeinated gel.
Got to park about 9:30 am. Enjoyed socializing with my teammates & made some new friends. Walked around much of the course and found it well marked but confusing for someone like me lacking in spacial intelligence. Formed a secondary goal to not get so far behind I couldn't see the next closest runner.
Event warmup:

At about 10:15, did Cannonball dynamic stretching routine. Then ran easy about 10 minutes plus 3 x 30" accelerations with 90" jogging recoveries. Race started at 11:00
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Based on my cross-country times from 2014, I had hoped to finish under 28 minutes, but this course was hillier than most of the others, and I did not. Because of the varied terrain, it was impossible to pace myself by speed, but I did try to regulate my effort level. In such a short race, the idea is to go out hard (I thought at the time I was going a bit harder than intended); then after the first mile, go even harder (judging by my HR data, I did do that); and after 2.5 miles, go ahead & knock myself out (I did that also, especially the last 100 yards or so when I could see the finish clock and really really wanted to get in under 30 minutes).
I do confess to walking up about the last third of both of the bigger hills. I used my sideways crab-run to run up as far as I did.
I managed to not get lost only because of the course monitors at each junction knowing which loop I was on and insisting I go the right way. For the first mile I was following 2 other runners, but then I passed them and could see no one ahead of me. For awhile everything looked unfamiliar and I was sure I had gone off course, not a happy feeling.

What would you do differently?:

Can't I learn to turn on that maximum finishing effort a little bit sooner? To dig just that much deeper? To race like someone's on my heels when they're not?

Also if I do a course this complicated again, I'll try to arrive early enough to walk the entire thing in advance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, drank some Recoverite, jogged about 10 minutes, ate 1/2 Recovery bar & a banana. Lay down on the grass to roll & stretch. Looking up at a rare blue sky, endorphins flooding, I was 100% happy to be alive and in that moment. It's what it's about.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training has really been geared towards building a base for next year's events, not specifically geared to these short fast races. They're just for fun, and to train myself to really push the boundaries.

Event comments:

A person really couldn't ask for a more perfect fall day, a more perfectly lovely location, or a more perfect activity. It's why I love cross-country.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:53 | 03.1 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 62/66F
Performance: Good
1st mile: 9:18; avg HR 143 (zone 4). 2nd mile:9:57; avg HR 148 (zone 5a). 3rd mile: 10:27; avg HR 150 (zone 5a). last fraction: pace 8:13; avg HR 157 (zone 5b).
Course: Race was in Watkins Glen State Park, mostly on nice wide trails through wooded areas plus some on grass. All dry. It included 2 moderately difficult uphills and some smaller ones. On my walk-through, I could see it would be easy to go off course. There were 4 loops, which were repeated a varying number of times, and the wooded paths all looked pretty similar. It was very well marked, though, with signs & arrows.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-06 7:06 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Pete Glavin Upstate NY XC-2

2015-10-08 11:09 PM
in reply to: #5145141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Pete Glavin Upstate NY XC-2

Nice race report Deb.  To me that is a fast 5K but I really liked your cool down.  I appreciate that special post race high.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pete Glavin Upstate NY XC-2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pete Glavin Upstate NY XC-5

Started by ok2try
Views: 1379 Posts: 3

2014-12-03 5:20 AM KWDreamun

Pete Glavin Upstate NY XC-4

Started by ok2try
Views: 1028 Posts: 3

2014-11-04 7:41 PM QueenZipp