General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't do these in triathlon swimming????????? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2015-10-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Don't do these in triathlon swimming?????????

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by b2run So then why does the list of don'ts say not to breath every three strokes or more?
There are several things going on As Don said there is a difference between bi-lateral breathing and breathing every 3 strokes. Breathing 5 strokes on the left, then 5 on the right, or 2 on the left, 2 on the right are all forms of bilateral breathing. For many people, this will smoothen out their stroke and balance things, resulting in swimming more efficiently But you want as much oxygen as possible. Gary Hall Sr published an article and he went through the math on it. A typical swimmer is doing 60 strokes per minutes. Breath every 3 and you are getting 20 breaths per minute which is not enough for an endurance event like a triathlon. He goes on to explain a pattern where you are getting more oxygen but requires the ability to breath bilaterally, but not every 3 strokes. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/a-better-way-to-br... IMO not for everyone but worth reading I experimented a lot, breathing every 3, then 2 one side, 2 another...as much as 6x one side, 6 the other. I definitely benefit from breathing on both sides to balance things. But definitely not every 3. And the reason people don't breath much on a 50m sprint has a lot more to do with energy pathways than losing time by breathing. Don't try to mininimize the number of breaths you take in an endurance event

No. 

The pathways are built in the training.  The fastest way to swim a 50 is with as little breathing as possible.  And the 50 is the fastest swim anyone will do.  I was just making a point about breathing.  Of course, like we both said, you can't swim for very long with no breaths, so it doesn't apply to endurance swimming, as we both said.

That being said.......at the bouys it's sometimes VERY beneficial to be able to swim with a minimal amount of breaths for a bit of distance.

Praticing swimming with few breaths is good, especially if you plan to be in the battle in a triathlon swim.

As always, the disconnect is probably in the definition of "fast".  I don't think people who swim/train only for triathlon quite get that.

NO, the disconnect is not understanding the difference the difference between a purely aerobic effort and a mostly anaerobic effort.

Stop gnashing your teeth and read my reply to dmiller. LMAO

Hehe. Yeah, the 50 is a predominantly anaerobic effort. Doesn't need oxygen so much. More of it can help (land based sprints still breathe for them), however, the method of obtaining it creates some more drag. There is a trade-off between the two and the shorter time it takes, the less valuable the oxygen is so the trade is not worth it. For someone who takes more than a minute to do the 50m, then it might get more interesting, but this person has other things to look at first.

2015-10-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by b2run So then why does the list of don'ts say not to breath every three strokes or more?
There are several things going on As Don said there is a difference between bi-lateral breathing and breathing every 3 strokes. Breathing 5 strokes on the left, then 5 on the right, or 2 on the left, 2 on the right are all forms of bilateral breathing. For many people, this will smoothen out their stroke and balance things, resulting in swimming more efficiently But you want as much oxygen as possible. Gary Hall Sr published an article and he went through the math on it. A typical swimmer is doing 60 strokes per minutes. Breath every 3 and you are getting 20 breaths per minute which is not enough for an endurance event like a triathlon. He goes on to explain a pattern where you are getting more oxygen but requires the ability to breath bilaterally, but not every 3 strokes. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/a-better-way-to-br... IMO not for everyone but worth reading I experimented a lot, breathing every 3, then 2 one side, 2 another...as much as 6x one side, 6 the other. I definitely benefit from breathing on both sides to balance things. But definitely not every 3. And the reason people don't breath much on a 50m sprint has a lot more to do with energy pathways than losing time by breathing. Don't try to mininimize the number of breaths you take in an endurance event

No. 

The pathways are built in the training.  The fastest way to swim a 50 is with as little breathing as possible.  And the 50 is the fastest swim anyone will do.  I was just making a point about breathing.  Of course, like we both said, you can't swim for very long with no breaths, so it doesn't apply to endurance swimming, as we both said.

That being said.......at the bouys it's sometimes VERY beneficial to be able to swim with a minimal amount of breaths for a bit of distance.

Praticing swimming with few breaths is good, especially if you plan to be in the battle in a triathlon swim.

As always, the disconnect is probably in the definition of "fast".  I don't think people who swim/train only for triathlon quite get that.

NO, the disconnect is not understanding the difference the difference between a purely aerobic effort and a mostly anaerobic effort.

I don't gnash my teeth. I get a chuckle out of some of your understanding of things. You make me smile.

And I get a chuckle out of how complicated you want everything to be.  This is triathlon, not rocket science.  if more people spent half the time they use trying to figure out how to be fast and just trained more they'd be faster.   Then again......I suppose fast is relative.

I'll leave you with this "complicated" swim idea.  Sometimes breath every stroke, sometimes breath every other stroke, sometimes breath every 3, or 5, or 7 strokes.  At least 2 or 3 times per week swim the length of the pool underwater.  Then work forward until you can swim 2 or 3 lengths underwater.  Sometimes swim in a hypoxic condition.  In short, practice your breathing so that no matter what condition you find yourself in you can get enough air to keep going fast.

2015-10-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

No. 

Hehe. Yeah, the 50 is a predominantly anaerobic effort. Doesn't need oxygen so much. More of it can help (land based sprints still breathe for them), however, the method of obtaining it creates some more drag. There is a trade-off between the two and the shorter time it takes, the less valuable the oxygen is so the trade is not worth it. For someone who takes more than a minute to do the 50m, then it might get more interesting, but this person has other things to look at first.

Thank you.  Geez.....I figured the fact that breathng created more drag was a pretty formed concept for anybody who wants ot call themself a swimmer.

2015-10-09 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

No. 

Thank you.  Geez.....I figured the fact that breathng created more drag was a pretty formed concept for anybody who wants ot call themself a swimmer.

It is. Plus it takes a few extra hundredths of a second to add a breath to a stroke cycle. For anyone swimming a fast 50 (let's define that as low 20s), it's almost a 100% anaerobic effort. Those factors result in ALL fast swimmers in the 50 taking anywhere from 0 to a max of about 3 breaths during a race.
2015-10-09 9:32 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by dmiller5

Tower 26 > TI every time.

That's not true. I suspect you're comparing Tower26's complete offerings to TI's beginner program. TI's success in helping beginner AOSers learn the basics has resulted in a reputation for only that despite also coaching triathletes and OWSers at a higher level.
2015-10-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

This thread is starting to make me want to go outside, find a pile of dog crap, and rub it in my hair.

2015-10-09 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The FASTEST way to swim is NO BREATHING. 

Dang!  Knew I was doing something wrong!

2015-10-09 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by TriMyBest

That's not true. I suspect you're comparing Tower26's complete offerings to TI's beginner program. TI's success in helping beginner AOSers learn the basics has resulted in a reputation for only that despite also coaching triathletes and OWSers at a higher level.

I'm comparing technique and methods of training, and I think TI is hot garbage.  I know you and some others are real into TI....but I've never swam with a TI swimmer that could swim even close to respectably.

I've watched Sheila coach in the same pool as TI coaches, made me laugh.

2015-10-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by msteiner

Here's a fun perspective: Endurance sports performance isn't the result of going faster, it's the result of slowing down less.
2015-10-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

2015-10-09 9:56 AM

User image

Pro

Here's a fun perspective: Endurance sports performance isn't the result of going faster, it's the result of slowing down less.

Yes!!......but here's the rest of that, and the part that gets lost on a lot of people;  in order to slow down less you have to learn/train to be fast.

2015-10-09 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I'm comparing technique and methods of training, and I think TI is hot garbage.  I know you and some others are real into TI....but I've never swam with a TI swimmer that could swim even close to respectably.

So, I was right. You're you comparing apples to oranges. You also need to read my previous post. I'm not a TI coach, but I've been fortunate to be exposed to one of it's highest levels. I personally coach using a hybrid of techniques I've learned from multiple sources. Your limited perspective seems to be coloring your opinion. Just because you haven't swam with them doesn't mean they don't exist. Suzanne coaches several Kona qualifiers, and this year's female USAT long course national champion. They're all strong swimmers.
2015-10-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Yes!!......but here's the rest of that, and the part that gets lost on a lot of people;  in order to slow down less you have to learn/train to be fast.

That's very true. Raise the start of the performance curve, and flatten it as much as possible.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-10-09 10:10 AM
2015-10-09 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So, I was right. You're you comparing apples to oranges. You also need to read my previous post. I'm not a TI coach, but I've been fortunate to be exposed to one of it's highest levels. I personally coach using a hybrid of techniques I've learned from multiple sources. Your limited perspective seems to be coloring your opinion. Just because you haven't swam with them doesn't mean they don't exist. Suzanne coaches several Kona qualifiers, and this year's female USAT long course national champion. They're all strong swimmers.

Yes, my experience is "limited" to the coaches I've met, the videos I've seen, and the swimmers I've swum with....How would you like me to form an opinion, on the word of a coach with whom I've never practiced with?   Cool that Suzanne coached some kona qualifiers, I'm sure some athletes can qualify for kona using TI swimming for the smallest portion of the race.... How many TI swimmers has she coached to USAT national championships? Draft legal races?  Anything requiring FAST swimming?

2015-10-09 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Yes, my experience is "limited" to the coaches I've met, the videos I've seen, and the swimmers I've swum with....How would you like me to form an opinion, on the word of a coach with whom I've never practiced with?   Cool that Suzanne coached some kona qualifiers, I'm sure some athletes can qualify for kona using TI swimming for the smallest portion of the race.... How many TI swimmers has she coached to USAT national championships? Draft legal races?  Anything requiring FAST swimming?

I'm not going to debate your straw man fallacy. There's nothing wrong with forming an opinion. What's not cool is presenting your opinion as fact when it's trashing something you don't have comprehensive knowledge of.
2015-10-09 11:36 AM

, Idaho

This thread is starting to make me want to go outside, find a pile of dog crap, and rub it in my hair.

I never heard that one before...nice

2015-10-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.wilk

I never heard it either.....I have 5 kids.....I just saw my dog do it one day and it looked like more fun than what I was listening to from them. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-09 11:57 AM
2015-10-09 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm not going to debate your straw man fallacy. There's nothing wrong with forming an opinion. What's not cool is presenting your opinion as fact when it's trashing something you don't have comprehensive knowledge of.

ok, well its my opinion that it sucks.  do we feel better now?  shoot, the more people swimming TI the more people I beat, so have at it.

2015-10-09 12:21 PM

, Idaho

Originally posted by d.wilk

I never heard it either.....I have 5 kids.....I just saw my dog do it one day and it looked like more fun than what I was listening to from them. 

I have 4 kids, and 30 employees ...I've felt that way before without knowing it ...now I realize what I would rather be doing during those times
2015-10-09 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
I didn't think we were allowed to argue here?
2015-10-09 12:33 PM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Finding Freestyle I didn't think we were allowed to argue here?

Nah......those people are all on Facebook.

2015-10-09 1:08 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Finding Freestyle

I didn't think we were allowed to argue here?

The definition of argue depends on how long and how many times you have been married;0
2015-10-09 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Finding FreestyleI didn't think we were allowed to argue here?
Who me? I'm playing nice. ;-)
2015-10-09 1:38 PM
in reply to: cwiehle0

User image

Denver, Colorado
And I am here just sitting and taking notes
Mary
2015-10-09 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Just to add some perspective, I've been extremely fortunate to have worked both with Suzanne and Sheila in the past year.  Plus I've attended a couple of weekend clinics put on by Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas (aka Dr. G). 

I participated in a TI Academy online race-prep program that Suzanne led for several months last summer.  While based on TI principles, it wasn't a beginner's program and included focus not just on SPL, but also increasing tempo and the  high elbow catch.  We worked on a hip-driven stroke with NO gliding (contrary to one of the common TI myths).

Using that stroke I was 2nd out of the water  in my AG (M60-64) at the St. Anthony's sprint tri in April going 13:59 for 750M.  A PR for me at that distance.  Not hyperfast, but OK for a 62 year old built more like a barge than a torpedo.

Subsequently, Sheila Taormina moved here to Sarasota and since June has been coaching my masters team during the week while she still continues to travel  doing weekend clinics around the country.

Obviously if you're familiar with Sheila, she's all about propulsion.  Lots & lots of work on the catch & pull.   It's not the "effortless" hip-driven TI stroke, and it requires more physical  strength.  We're all doing a lot of dryland pull cord training and other exercises (press outs, etc.) to build strength.  Lots of kick drills with an emphasis on developing a strong 6-beat kick (while acknowledging that you will probably shift down to a 2-beat kick for portions of a long tri swim).  It's work and not everybody's cup of tea.    

While many aspects of what Sheila teaches are different than TI, there is also a good deal of overlap.  Propulsion and drag reduction are fundamental to both philosophies, it's just that they're coming at things from opposite directions so to speak (pun intended).    

I have gotten significantly faster since I have been training with Sheila, but I would have to add a couple of caveats:

1.  I'm swimming a lot more since I started training with Sheila.

2. There is absolutely no substitute for having a coach on deck while you're swimming.  While being able to share videos online is wonderful, it is just not as effective as a live coach giving you instruction, feedback and a kick in the butt on occasion.  I would also add that it is an advantage training in a group setting versus doing a workout on your own.  There's always that element of competition against the person in the next lane.

At the end of the day there is no "one size fits all" solution to swimming technique.  No absolute right or wrong way.    Eventually each individual athlete has to figure out the best way to meet their individual goals & objectives.

Finally, I have to say that Suzanne and Sheila are both terrific people and I feel blessed to have gotten to know both of them.  I consider them both to be friends.  Different philosophies and personalities for sure, but both are passionate about the sport and do all they can to help their athletes.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't do these in triathlon swimming????????? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

First triathlon done / swim question

Started by Chitwnnole
Views: 1876 Posts: 13

2014-08-27 5:39 PM Chitwnnole

I don't know what I am doing....

Started by Flapjack
Views: 1297 Posts: 7

2011-02-21 9:00 PM Flapjack

Don't swim with contact lenses in Pages: 1 2

Started by tc681
Views: 2304 Posts: 26

2007-06-07 2:35 PM dylanslovey

Next time you DON'T WANT TO SWIM/BIKE/RUN

Started by swbkrun
Views: 1115 Posts: 6

2007-02-26 11:16 PM NightOwl

Swim question - I just don't get the sets thing

Started by cobannero
Views: 1887 Posts: 21

2005-12-08 2:54 PM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"