BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-22 9:03 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Thanks Matt!  I thought I'd collect some setups that Manatees have working for them and share that info with Kevin.  Kinda trying to balance the being helpfulness with interfering, you know ;-)

2015-12-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Trainer question.  Kevin had and old Cyclops Fluid 2 and it was starting to leak, etc.  He wanted a new trainer and decided on a Kickr Snap.  I am not up on all of the smart trainer stuff (nor is he) so could use some pointers.  What kind of setup are you Trainer Road/Zwift types using?  If you want to just do a 75 minute ride with intervals, are you using a canned workout in Trainer Road or something else?  Are you using a iPad or phone or something else with your setup?  Mounting your viewing device how?

Also, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor is working fine on Kevin's Fenix3 watch but seems to drop out on the Wahoo phone app. So I'm assuiming that the Garmin sensor to Garmin watch is fine because it's 100% ANT+ but something with the Bluetooth to the phone.  Does the Kickr get the cadence from the ANT+ and then rebroadcast it as Bluetooth? 

ETA: I pinged Darren, Sean and MR Matt about this.  I think the Ben is following along so he may have something to add as well.

I have little to no input, since I am trainerless. I have a musician friend that uses an iPad. There are clip on stands made for them (ebay):

There are also full tripod stands available, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Or something like this on a table:

Were it me, I'd probably build a tall table to straddle the front wheel, with a few holders, since there might be a few screens on there. Something like Jesse Thomas has. If memory serves, you don't ride the trainer often, do you? Will there be a place in the houses set aside for this?

2015-12-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Trainer question.  Kevin had and old Cyclops Fluid 2 and it was starting to leak, etc.  He wanted a new trainer and decided on a Kickr Snap.  I am not up on all of the smart trainer stuff (nor is he) so could use some pointers.  What kind of setup are you Trainer Road/Zwift types using?  If you want to just do a 75 minute ride with intervals, are you using a canned workout in Trainer Road or something else?  Are you using a iPad or phone or something else with your setup?  Mounting your viewing device how?

Also, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor is working fine on Kevin's Fenix3 watch but seems to drop out on the Wahoo phone app. So I'm assuiming that the Garmin sensor to Garmin watch is fine because it's 100% ANT+ but something with the Bluetooth to the phone.  Does the Kickr get the cadence from the ANT+ and then rebroadcast it as Bluetooth? 

ETA: I pinged Darren, Sean and MR Matt about this.  I think the Ben is following along so he may have something to add as well.

I have little to no input, since I am trainerless. I have a musician friend that uses an iPad. There are clip on stands made for them (ebay):

Were it me, I'd probably build a tall table to straddle the front wheel, with a few holders, since there might be a few screens on there. Something like Jesse Thomas has. If memory serves, you don't ride the trainer often, do you? Will there be a place in the houses set aside for this?

Thanks!  Those links are super helpful!

Yes, the bonus from has become Kevin's Training Annex.  He claims that is not the case.  He is fooling himself (or trying to fool me!)

I still have a dumb trainer.  Kevin uses the trainer quite a bit year round so it made sense for him to get the upgrade.

2015-12-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Where did you see those middle stands?

Also, does anyone here use TR on iPad?

2015-12-22 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, there is a thread in CoJ that Lisa started a while back on Training Rooms that might be interesting. Some cool ideas in there, ya know, for when he is ready to fess up  And I thought DCRainmaker had something in his blog a while back about his setup, but I can't find it now.

2015-12-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Where did you see those middle stands?

Also, does anyone here use TR on iPad?

Stands were on ebay. Any music store will have them. I like the thicker stands for my music stuff. That kind of equipment is often available on Craigslist, but beware, your area has some folks with an inflated idea of the value of their music stuff.

2 things, don't get the folding kind. they are not going to take any beating at all. And, let me look at home, I may have something floating around that will do the job. Maybe not, we've gotten rid of some stuff lately, but I'll check.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Adjustable-Rotating-IPAD-Tablet-PC-Holder-Floor-Mount-Stand-Silver-/351085792582

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5-FLOOR-MOUNT-STAND-TRIPOD-HOLDER-FOR-iPAD-2-3-4-AIR-MINI-TAB-NEXUS-SURFACE-/360632510635

Edited by cdban66 2015-12-22 10:25 AM

2015-12-22 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2015-12-22 10:50 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

And to reiterate something from the website:

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

Yeah, don't listen to me today. Although kind of surprised Yanti hasn't jumped right in with such an invitation in the first line!

I'm more about the UNdress me
2015-12-22 11:22 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Katy, Texas
Sorry Janyne, I'm no help here (what else is new). I don't have a trainer. All of my indoor rides are on the spin bike at the gym. I've been meaning to get one but haven't wanted to spend the money. Let me know how he likes the kickr.
2015-12-22 11:55 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by fortissimo Dress me, please! My coach has talked me into doing the Chilly Cheeks Duathlon tomorrow. It's a 4 mile run followed by a 10.8 mile bike. The temperature is supposed to be 40 with 10 mph winds at race time. I have no winter bike gear. So, do I just wear my running tights under my tri shorts? I will of course wear gloves and head band under my helmet. Do I wear my running jacket or borrow a bike jacket? Why do I let people talk me into these things?

Is this it? Of particular note here is that the race is bike then run, not run-bike-run. Might alter some dressing options. I had similar conditions for one last year, but didn't hardly need to add anything. Most people do though so will probably want some other advice too.   Mostly look at how you want to dress for the bike. Then chuck off a bunch of stuff for the run. Running has more heat build-up and less windchill due to going slower. Using the tri suit as a base layer tends to work well.

Yup, that's it! The first in the series is the run followed by the bike. My bike jacket is huge and not tight fitting at all so i think I'll just stick with the running jacket. I know the bike is only 10 miles, but i got some pretty nasty saddle sores while training for IM so I'm chicken to go without the tri shorts. I'll try the running tights on the bike tonight to see how it goes. Thanks, everyone!

Understandable. Though do know that the only thing that might fit better on the bike are bike shorts, so if that's not the case then something is wrong. Might be an issue to solve for another time. Go with what works best for this race.

Chilly Cheeks #3 will start with a 10 mile non-drafting paved bike ride. Riders will go off in groups of 5-10 at 1 minute intervals. Starting groups will be assigned as entries are received. The race will finish with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run.

It's Chilly Cheeks #1, which is run-ride.  December 19, 2015: Start Time-10:00 a.m. - Click Here for Course Map Chilly Cheeks #1 will start with a 4-mile road and dirt-trail run, finish with a 10 mile paved bike ride.  Number 2 (run-bike-run) is in January, and #3 (bike-run) is in February.

Yeah, don't listen to me today. Although kind of surprised Yanti hasn't jumped right in with such an invitation in the first line!

It's called the "Chilly CHEEKS", not "Chilly EVERYTHING".  That could be really scary!!

2015-12-22 11:58 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Steve, sending lots of healing thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery.  Any surgery is no fun.

Stacey, what a way to go out.  Sounds like the lazy boss did herself no favors and showed how ill-fitted she was for the job!  Glad the drama is settling down.

Robin, hope you had fun at your race.  That series is always interesting weather-wise.  DH did one of those races where there was a fresh 12" of snow.  Everybody's times sucked and the bike leg was completely ridiculous.  At least everybody was handicapped equally.

I ran 6 miles yesterday, my longest run in over a year.  It went well, despite the first half being all uphill and into a sustained 20 mph wind.  The last half was sure easier.  I start back to work tomorrow and am a little nervous about how it'll go.  The new glasses do help and I've been able to enjoy reading again. Yay!!!  I'll just have to see how that translate to work.  Luckily, I've been monitoring my email while I've been out so I won't have 8 jillion emails to go through.

Alex made Tabasco ginger bread yesterday.  It sounds weird but boy, is it delicious!!  Probably too delicious. We were going to take it to a holiday party, but then didn't feel like going.  Now we're stuck with it and have to eat it all ourselves.  It's been pure torture.

Awesome, Mary. Dannng jumping right back in with work and a 6-miler! How did the first day go? 

2015-12-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Steve, hang it there. So glad to hear it isn't as bad as it could be. Chin up!

2015-12-22 12:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Happy, happy, HAPPY Solstice all you northern hemisphere-ers. Goodness, I have been STRUGGLING with the darkness. Lack of motivation, grumpy, not enjoying some of my runs. Ugh, I need a kick in the pants!

Anyway, I am excited for longer days and more daylight. Woop Wooooop!

2015-12-22 12:06 PM

User image

Seattle

Oh my gosh guys, I am waiting for the actual results (which take forever in this series) but my race on Saturday was a shyte show! It was actually quite humorous. I try to imagine it as if someone is watching me, perhaps if it were captured with a drone....

As I mentioned I have been struggling to get up in the dark. So there I was, race day. Taking my sweet time. For some reason I decided to not believe google maps when it told me it would take a half hour to get to the park. I continued to drink my coffee and sit my azz on the couch. Finally, with 20 minutes to get to the park I left (uhhhhh remember that whole warm-up thing???????)

I proceeded to go 20+ mph over the speed limit all the way there and pull into the park just as everyone was lining up (see, it took less than 30 minutes to get there google)

Long story shor (I will save it for the RR) but I had to jump into  the race after it started (no chip timing here), in the wrong shoes (which one was untied btw) and my socks rolled down under my arch with no warm-up. No warmup it one thing for a marathon, or even a half. But a 2-miler????? Let's just say negative-splitsville.

2015-12-22 12:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

First day back to work went fairly well.  It probably would have been better if I'd gotten more than a few hours of sleep the night before.  It also would have helped if they'd actually had some work for me to do.  I can understand not wanting to involve me too much in projects since they don't know whether I'll be able to stay, but still.  I managed to hang in there for 5 hours, then went home and slept for 3.  I'm going to try to shoot for 6 hours today.  I'm supposed to run 4 mi. today too.  I'm going to try doing it at the gym.  They have a 200 m track and treadmills so I'll go back and forth between the two, switching every mile.  My hip doesn't like treadmills and running 32 laps in one direction sounds like torture so hopefully mixing it up will work out okay.

I think I'll be able to get back up to full time.  Now I just need to get back into the swing of it mentally, which is definitely harder than the physical part!!!

2015-12-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black Sorry Janyne, I'm no help here (what else is new). I don't have a trainer. All of my indoor rides are on the spin bike at the gym. I've been meaning to get one but haven't wanted to spend the money. Let me know how he likes the kickr.

Kevin's initial comment was something along the lines of, "Boy, my other trainer was really broken!"  I think that he'll like it once get gets over the configuration bumps.  I told him that I am well aware of what I spend on gym/pool time.  If he wants to spend the money for TrainerRoad, etc., I will not complain.

2015-12-22 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

It's called the "Chilly CHEEKS", not "Chilly EVERYTHING".  That could be really scary!!

or really interesting...

2015-12-22 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

First day back to work went fairly well.  It probably would have been better if I'd gotten more than a few hours of sleep the night before.  It also would have helped if they'd actually had some work for me to do.  I can understand not wanting to involve me too much in projects since they don't know whether I'll be able to stay, but still.  I managed to hang in there for 5 hours, then went home and slept for 3.  I'm going to try to shoot for 6 hours today.  I'm supposed to run 4 mi. today too.  I'm going to try doing it at the gym.  They have a 200 m track and treadmills so I'll go back and forth between the two, switching every mile.  My hip doesn't like treadmills and running 32 laps in one direction sounds like torture so hopefully mixing it up will work out okay.

I think I'll be able to get back up to full time.  Now I just need to get back into the swing of it mentally, which is definitely harder than the physical part!!!

It sounds like you were off to a good start.  Five hours is a lot for your first day.  You should be able to build up to full time (well, being present for 8 hours) in a week and a half.  Take care!

P.S. there is always manateeland if you are bored.

2015-12-22 1:08 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

My trainer setup in my unfinished basement where it is a little cooler:

CycleOps fluid trainer
Garmin cadence/speed sensor
ANT+ stick for laptop (laptop sits easily in eyesight and at eye level on a table/wooden crate next to the handlebar region of the bike)
TrainerRoad (virtual power set up via combo of trainer, speed/cadence, HR)
Garmin HR strap
fan
Smart TV
bike, of course.  
Towels to catch sweat and wipe face, water bottle and remote all sit on the little table that has the laptop.

All that's been missing lately is the rider.

2015-12-22 1:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Sounds like a great way to leverage the tools you have! Maybe do something like an easy warm-up on the track, then a couple miles on the treadmill then cool down the opposite direction on the track. Something like that.

I'd soak up the easing into work  

2015-12-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

My trainer setup in my unfinished basement where it is a little cooler:

CycleOps fluid trainer
Garmin cadence/speed sensor
ANT+ stick for laptop (laptop sits easily in eyesight and at eye level on a table/wooden crate next to the handlebar region of the bike)
TrainerRoad (virtual power set up via combo of trainer, speed/cadence, HR)
Garmin HR strap
fan
Smart TV
bike, of course.  
Towels to catch sweat and wipe face, water bottle and remote all sit on the little table that has the laptop.

All that's been missing lately is the rider.

haha!  you are too funny!

I think that Kevin was hoping that the iPad would work fine.  Does TrainerRoad need the laptop?  (yes, I really am that much of a newbie)

2015-12-22 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Help!  I tried to change my avitar, but BT keeps telling me to upload a jpeg.  I believe my photos are all saved that way.  I even tried to upload my old avi and got the same message.  Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong???  

2015-12-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Help!  I tried to change my avitar, but BT keeps telling me to upload a jpeg.  I believe my photos are all saved that way.  I even tried to upload my old avi and got the same message.  Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong???  

Does it have .jpg on the end?  I'm not saying that it isn't a jpeg but that if it's from a Mac, sometimes the file extension isn't there and that confuses uploading software.

How large is the file?

2015-12-22 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

Does it have .jpg on the end?  I'm not saying that it isn't a jpeg but that if it's from a Mac, sometimes the file extension isn't there and that confuses uploading software.

How large is the file?

I don't know, I'm doing it from my ipad or iphone and don't know how to look at the extensions. But, I've always used my ipad to upload and never had an issue!  

2015-12-22 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Janyne,
My current setup for my kickr is my laptop set on a shelf with an HDMI lead attached to a flat screen tv mounted on a wall. I also have a usb extension lead lead running from one of the USB ports on the laptop with an Ant+ dongle in the other end, which is positioned close to business end of the Kickr. This minimizes any Ant+ signal dropouts, which can be a problem with Kickr and Zwift combo. I have a Garmin magnetless cadence sensor attached the the crank.

I'm better off taking each of the available applications separately to keep it simple.
If Kevin is after just doing an interval workout then he could use the Wahoo App on his phone to control the resistance of the trainer and record his workout.

For Trainer Road, he can use his IPad, I haven't used this option though so can't comment on the possible bluetooth dropouts he's experiencing. I don't think he needs anything else to run Trainer Road with the Snap. Anything else, like heart rate monitor, speed, cadence sensors are just extras. A good thing about Trainer Road is that it doesn't need internet connection when using it, so perhaps he can turn off the WiFi on it to see if that is interfering with the Blue Tooth.If it is, then there is suggestions to change the channel on your home router channel 1. As for choosing which workout to do, he would be better off choosing a plan and conducting an FTP test.

For Zwift, he will need a PC/Mac, a suitable Ant+/BT dongle, an internet connection and the Snap. If he goes down this route, it may be worth checking whether his pc has enough spec and you have a fast enough internet speed to handle it.

I'm currently (as in, infrequently) using Trainer Road and CycleOps Virtual Training. The Cycleops suite has an IPad app that may be of use. I'm not fully sure about the differences between the desktop app I use and the IPad app. I think it has to do with premium routes available to ride and/or heart rate recording. There's a 2 week trial at the moment and I find it's quite well priced comparative to other apps on the market. It offers the ability to ride real life videos where the resistance of the Snap is adjusted with the gradient of the ride. It's quite good. CVT also has similar workouts and workout editor to Trainer Road but doesn't have the plans.

I suppose it all depends what Kevin is looking for, what he wants out of the trainer app he's using. How did he use the fluid before? Structured workouts or adhoc? If he's looking for entertainment/social indoor rides then Zwift would be the choice, but that would mean setting up on a PC etc. Although Cycleops does offer the online racing, although I haven't tried this yet.

I hoped I covered everything. It can be a bit difficult narrowing down what is needed when there are so manty options with different configurations available. I think he needs to work out how he wants to use it first. Perhaps, seeing as TR and CVT offer free trails/ money back/easy cancellation and he has all the equipment needed to run these apps already, he should try these first to see which he prefers.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54233 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66644 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28067 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11853 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66329 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.