General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beer Post-Work-Out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-11-02 10:36 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Beer Post-Work-Out
First, I drink waaaaay too much. (But alcohol buzz never compares to "runner's high.")

I really really really enjoy a beer or two post work-out... I still eat w/in the 45 minute window, but my first go-to is beer.

So, not a question of whether it's bad for you... already know this. But how bad would you opine this habit is?

2015-11-02 10:52 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

Subject: RE: Beer Post-Work-Out
I don't think it's that bad. One of the fastest local guys follows up all his hard runs/bikes with a beer.
2015-11-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: MN_Mike

User image

Pro

After 35 years of ALWAYS drinking a beer or two when I'm done working out.......I really don't care if it's good for me or not.  I like it, it tastes good, and I'm not stopping.

2015-11-02 11:06 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

DC
Originally posted by Left Brain

After 35 years of ALWAYS drinking a beer or two when I'm done working out.......I really don't care if it's good for me or not.  I like it, it tastes good, and I'm not stopping.

I'm forwarding you message to my wife.
2015-11-02 11:07 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I too have been conducting a very long term study on the matter and have experienced no ill affects.

2015-11-02 11:37 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Beer at the finish line is what keeps me going!!

There is no better feeling than a beer after the race. Unless it's Michelob Ultra 1 calorie beer. So much disappointment..
Mary

2015-11-02 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I would think so long as you have adequate water as well (alcohol dehydrates you, and so did the sweating you just finished) and the proper recovery fuel as well... probably no big deal. Of course refer to my sig as well...
2015-11-02 11:48 AM

User image

Exton, PA
It's been said that alcohol opens up you blood vessels which is why it makes you feel warmer when drinking it in cold weather. However in cold weather you want that extra warmth in your core, so it's doing the wrong thing.

If we look at this post race it opens up blood vessels which sends more blood to all areas of the body, and the increased blood flow helps with recovery and repair to any damaged muscles.

Therefore beer after work-outs = good

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
2015-11-02 11:52 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

DC
Originally posted by mike761

It's been said that alcohol opens up you blood vessels which is why it makes you feel warmer when drinking it in cold weather. However in cold weather you want that extra warmth in your core, so it's doing the wrong thing.

If we look at this post race it opens up blood vessels which sends more blood to all areas of the body, and the increased blood flow helps with recovery and repair to any damaged muscles.

I'm going to have to quote you at the next cocktail party I attend.
2015-11-02 11:56 AM

User image

Pro

Coffee until noon, water until end of workout, beer until bed...............sleep, repeat.

2015-11-02 12:04 PM

User image

DC

Coffee until noon, water until end of workout, beer until bed...............sleep, repeat.

Seriously... this is my daily schedule. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know we're either we're "normal" or we're both coffee/alcoholics. Safety in numbers.

2015-11-02 12:17 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Porfirio

Seriously... this is my daily schedule. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know we're either we're "normal" or we're both coffee/alcoholics. Safety in numbers.

I've been doing that for as long as I remember.  It's funny, because I get a complete physical every year, and I have for 25 years.  The doctor always asks if I smoke, and then much coffee I drink, how much alcohol I drink, and how much I exercise.  I usually say something like 5-10 cups of coffee a day and 3-5 beers per day, on average. I exercise in some fashion every day, and I like to smoke a good cigar with my buddies every now and then....actually seldom anymore since they've mostly all quit.  Then he will ask if I drink anything else, or smoke anything else.....and I tell him I probably drink a half gallon to a gallon of water per day and won't be able to smoke any weed until I retire, but I look forward to it.  Then my bood pressure is 120/70, my cholesterol is low as hell, my triglycerides are in the 50's, my BMI and body fat are always low for my age, and I take no meds at 55 years old.  He always ends with, "keep doing what you're doing".

2015-11-02 12:27 PM

User image

DC

I've been doing that for as long as I remember.  It's funny, because I get a complete physical every year, and I have for 25 years.  The doctor always asks if I smoke, and then much coffee I drink, how much alcohol I drink, and how much I exercise.  I usually say something like 5-10 cups of coffee a day and 3-5 beers per day, on average. I exercise in some fashion every day, and I like to smoke a good cigar with my buddies every now and then....actually seldom anymore since they've mostly all quit.  Then he will ask if I drink anything else, or smoke anything else.....and I tell him I probably drink a half gallon to a gallon of water per day and won't be able to smoke any weed until I retire, but I look forward to it.  Then my bood pressure is 120/70, my cholesterol is low as hell, my triglycerides are in the 50's, my BMI and body fat are always low for my age, and I take no meds at 55 years old.  He always ends with, "keep doing what you're doing".

Bravo! I'm 39 now & hope to be at your health level.
2015-11-02 12:31 PM

User image

Pro

Bravo! I'm 39 now & hope to be at your health level.

I think that how much you exercise and how well you eat will always trump everything else.

2015-11-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I've got a very sensitive stomach. And it seems like, after a really hard/long workout, eating anything sends me straight to the restroom.
Interestingly, beer does not have that effect. In fact, if I'm feeling kind of yucky, one beer often settles my stomach. So for this reason, and this reason alone, I enjoy a beer after many workouts.
The only caution I would offer is that it is pretty much totally empty calories of straight carbs. So often "justifying" a beer, or two...can start to have effects on one's waistline.

Edited by pwoolson 2015-11-02 3:40 PM
2015-11-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

DC
Originally posted by pwoolson

I've got a very sensitive stomach. And it seems like, after a really hard/long workout, eating anything sends me straight to the restroom.
Interestingly, beer does not have that affect. In fact, if I'm feeling kind of yucky, one beer often settles my stomach. So for this reason, and this reason alone, I enjoy a beer after many workouts.
The only caution I would offer is that it is pretty much totally empty calories of straight carbs. So often "justifying" a beer, or two...can start to have affects on one's waistline.

Yeah, alcohol in general is my cure-all.

With respect to the empty calories... what happens to these "straight carbs" after a work-out where you have shed, say, 600 calories? I eat good, but nutrition always confuses me.

2015-11-02 6:46 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pwoolson I've got a very sensitive stomach. And it seems like, after a really hard/long workout, eating anything sends me straight to the restroom. Interestingly, beer does not have that effect. In fact, if I'm feeling kind of yucky, one beer often settles my stomach. So for this reason, and this reason alone, I enjoy a beer after many workouts. The only caution I would offer is that it is pretty much totally empty calories of straight carbs. So often "justifying" a beer, or two...can start to have effects on one's waistline.

No, no, no......beer is food.

Hops are vegetables.....it's in the Irish menu, look it up.

2015-11-02 8:05 PM

User image

This is the best thread EVER!
2015-11-03 2:20 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

You can't argue with science.
2015-11-03 8:22 AM
in reply to: Shakeybear

User image

New Lenox, Illinois

I agree - it is nice to know that I'm more normal than I thought.

I think that how much you exercise and how well you eat will always trump everything else.

That's a pretty good way to put it, and I feel that way as well.

2015-11-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: dlaude6

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Beer is an essential part of life. Hell, half the reason I do all this triathlon stuff is so I can drink beer without really worrying about the calories. I have never "given up" beer in favor of training or racing. I have had a beer or two the night before every race I have ever done. I have beer after workouts/races pretty much as a general rule.

I can't imagine doing anything different, nor can I imagine any reason to change.

2015-11-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
Personally I'm not much a beer drinker since I prefer scotch neat or a glass or red wine but beer is best after a workout.
I do it once or twice a week, usually after a Friday evening workout but I love knocking out an 8 mile run then enjoying a good beer.

Edited by runtim23 2015-11-03 12:33 PM
2015-11-03 12:59 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro

Originally posted by runtim23 Personally I'm not much a beer drinker since I prefer scotch neat or a glass or red wine but beer is best after a workout. I do it once or twice a week, usually after a Friday evening workout but I love knocking out an 8 mile run then enjoying a good beer.

I think enjoying the beer afterwards is the only true reason for running 8 miles.....otherwise, who would do that??

2015-11-04 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I think enjoying the beer afterwards is the only true reason for running 8 miles.....otherwise, who would do that??

Quoting this for 100% truth.
2015-11-04 8:57 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

I too have been conducting a very long term study on the matter and have experienced no ill affects.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beer Post-Work-Out Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Core Work outs

Started by renegadebuddhacoach
Views: 826 Posts: 4

2005-08-08 4:54 PM renegadebuddhacoach

Midnight work outs Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 2353 Posts: 32

2005-07-22 3:29 PM lexington476

Alternating work outs - is that enough rest?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1203 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 1:42 PM KathyG

Cold weather work-outs

Started by egates656
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2004-10-13 12:50 AM waterfordhunter

Upper body work-outs?

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1533 Posts: 7

2004-02-16 10:08 AM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES