Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2015-12-09 8:12 AM
in reply to: Budwiiser

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016

Originally posted by Budwiiser
Originally posted by johnthecat Was finally able to do the 5 minute test though had to stop immediately after the 5 minutes all out and didn't finish the full 50 minutes of workout. How much does that skew my numbers doing that? Average 228.
For some reason, I thought the number we use is the average of just that 5 minutes, not the whole workout... If that's correct, then it shouldn't skew your numbers.... Not sure if that's worth anything, I'm the noob! :-) I'm sure one of the others will chime in here with the correct answer!
Marcus, Chad is correct, the average is only for the 5' test interval not the whole WO.  Not 100% clear which you used...

2015-12-09 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Budwiiser Week 2, workout 1..... didn't feel too bad, pushed me a little, but do-able....
Good job Chad! 80% is something you should be able to hold for a long time.

2015-12-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Did the wk2 wo2 tempo ride this morning.  Played with cadence  o the 2nd half to ease the boredom, even dropped it way low to stand up for a minute and climb, was thinking about the dream of doing Savageman!

I can't seem to attach a file comes up with an error msg, hmmm....

attaching via link

Edited by Donto 2015-12-09 8:21 AM
2015-12-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: Donto

Speaking of Savageman... I have also had that race on my list of must do. At some point I will do the 70 but I saw on the race website that the race director has added a 20 mile distance & a 50 mile race which combines the 20 & 30 into one race. Being more focused on short course racing this race really interests me. I am trying to work into my schedule for this upcoming season.

I plan on being back on the training this evening. I noticed my skewer was no longer closing after I completed the 5' test. Picked up a new one to replace it & will be getting back in the groove today. Keep up the good work everyone.
2015-12-09 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by Budwiiser Week 2, workout 1..... didn't feel too bad, pushed me a little, but do-able....
Good job Chad! 80% is something you should be able to hold for a long time.

Ha, define "long time"! :-)

I'm confident I'll settle into a better understanding of my numbers to extend my ride distances, if I could only get past this saddle issue. I'm guessing I just don't have enough hours in the seat..... My stock felt saddle didn't feel all that comfortable, so I went with an Adamo TT seat. Now I'm wondering if that was a bad move. Was considering trying the stock felt sadle again, but thought I might want to just tough it out..... So I can't seem to figure out what "comfortable" is in cycling. Towards the 50 minute mark, I'm looking forward to getting off the thing, else I'd be lengthening my rides some. Would like to shoot for HIM in the near future, but that won't happen till I figure this part out..... Argh!!!
2015-12-09 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Wondering what everyone else is doing for bike and swim during the challenge.  I'm coming off a long injury so have to pay attention to base buildiing in all sports over the winter.  Have scaled back on the run right now as the bike intensity has taken a big step up, and only running about 3 x per week between 5-8 miles per run.  When I got back in the pool after a 6 month layoff, it was like starting from scratch.  Really.  It sucked bigtime.  Past that now and today was 4000 with 30x100 on 15 seconds.  Glad I don't have a bike until tomorrow, but will have to lace up the shoes in a little bit.

So what's on your plate?

Edited by TTom 2015-12-09 3:36 PM

2015-12-09 3:46 PM
in reply to: TTom

Originally posted by TTom

Wondering what everyone else is doing for bike and swim during the challenge.  I'm coming off a long injury so have to pay attention to base buildiing in all sports over the winter.  Have scaled back on the run right now as the bike intensity has taken a big step up, and only running about 3 x per week between 5-8 miles per run.  When I got back in the pool after a 6 month layoff, it was like starting from scratch.  Really.  It sucked bigtime.  Past that now and today was 4000 with 30x100 on 15 seconds.  Glad I don't have a bike until tomorrow, but will have to lace up the shoes in a little bit.

So what's on your plate?

I've been struggling with this question as well. What to do with the hours I have...... I'm swimming 2x/ week, and trying to run 2x/ week, and trying to get the 3x/ week bike for the challenge. My priorities for off season (in this order) are swim/bike/run. I'm trying to fit in a 3rd swim, but that's been tough, and I've only managed 1 run per week in the last couple weeks. I'm gonna have to get back on the pavement pretty quickly though because I have a half marathon mid January. I have about 1 to 1.5 hours per day / 6 days a week to train. All things fall in place pretty nicely in terms of training, but the devil on my back is the swim and I'm setting my sights on being able to swim a mile non-stop as I want to do either an Olympic or HIM in 2016. (I've only done sprints so far.)
2015-12-09 5:19 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

So what's on your plate?

I've been struggling with this question as well. What to do with the hours I have...... I'm swimming 2x/ week, and trying to run 2x/ week, and trying to get the 3x/ week bike for the challenge. My priorities for off season (in this order) are swim/bike/run. I'm trying to fit in a 3rd swim, but that's been tough, and I've only managed 1 run per week in the last couple weeks. I'm gonna have to get back on the pavement pretty quickly though because I have a half marathon mid January. I have about 1 to 1.5 hours per day / 6 days a week to train. All things fall in place pretty nicely in terms of training, but the devil on my back is the swim and I'm setting my sights on being able to swim a mile non-stop as I want to do either an Olympic or HIM in 2016. (I've only done sprints so far.)
I'm only going to focus on the bike and sloooowly build up my running.  I had foot surgery in Sept to remove a neuroma and got back to running for a bit with nothing else.  Then I had a lower back disk issue (according to my PT friend, and that still gives me twinges) in Nov and backed off before doing a Turkey Trot 5k.  I figure max 10 miles per week running for now while maximizing the bike.  Come Jan I'll start adding in some swimming, then in March when this wraps up I'll do the Metric Century and get back into it full time for all three disciplines for my A-race Sprint on June 5th.  Given no injuries of course!

For me its all about the bike.  I have found when I maximize bike training I can run 7:30-45 in sprints without a lot of miles.  I can get up to MOP swimming in 8 weeks but would like to get a faster in order to break into top 7 in that A-race which brings out the best racers in the central FL region.  Thinking about a swim coach this year to get me to that swim as the 2-3 minutes I need are right there!

2015-12-09 7:28 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by johnthecat Was finally able to do the 5 minute test though had to stop immediately after the 5 minutes all out and didn't finish the full 50 minutes of workout. How much does that skew my numbers doing that? Average 228.
For some reason, I thought the number we use is the average of just that 5 minutes, not the whole workout... If that's correct, then it shouldn't skew your numbers.... Not sure if that's worth anything, I'm the noob! :-) I'm sure one of the others will chime in here with the correct answer!
Marcus, Chad is correct, the average is only for the 5' test interval not the whole WO.  Not 100% clear which you used...

Ok I put the wrong number down then. It will be a lot higher than 228 then. Will have to check when I have a minute. Wife has been majorly sick since Sunday so I haven't been able to do anything but watch the kids and take care of her. .

That also reminds me that I never posted my intro.

Name: Markus

Story: 45 years old. Married for 17 years. 4 children. Two girls we adopted at an older age that are 19 and almost 17.. And then two little surprises a four year old boy and a three year old girl. I did Gymnastics as a kid on a competitive level from age 5 to 14, blew my ACL out and had to put gymnastics on hold. I did some Martial Arts, lots of inline and ice skating in my late teens and twenties. Moved to the US in 1998 and somewhat became less active. Picked up Gymnastics again at age 34 and try to go at least once a month sometimes I manage to make it every week for a while. A coworker got me interested in Triathlons in 2006. Sadly enough with adopting the kids, having kids and miscellaneous injuries that didn't happen for quite a few years. At the end of 2012 I started training with the goal to finally do a Tri in 2013. At the end of January 2013 I came down with an Autoimmune Disease names Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which is a disease that eats the outer layers of your peripheral nerves. In very severe cases people become temporarily paralyzed and have to be put on a ventilator, because the nerves controlling those muscles are not functioning. In my cases I had to deal with nerve damage in my legs and arms as well as nerves to my autonomous system. It took 8 months to get a diagnoses and by the time I got one I was already on the upward swing, though it took until February of this year to get 90% of all my functions back. By that time with having to take a few rounds of steroids over the last couple of years I had gotten myself up to 205 lbs. I started walking and running in March of this year and initially was only able to run 1/4 mile nonstop. Around April I started to get out on the bike and started swimming. While not very fast, I finally did complete my first Triathlon on Father's Day of this year and did two more later in the year. My running still suffers due to the nerve damage, but I finally see myself picking up some speed and I can now run 10 miles nonstop.

Goal of this program: This year maybe 10 % of my training time was spent on the bike. Interesting enough that didn't seem to hurt me to much as the bike was the discipline I always placed the highest compared to the swim and the run and actually quite higher than my final placement in the Tri. With that said I want to see what I can accomplish on the bike if I actually put some time in.

Goal 2016 race: Several sprint and maybe an Olympic in the Fall.
2015-12-09 8:51 PM

So what's on your plate?

I'm only going to focus on the bike and sloooowly build up my running.  I had foot surgery in Sept to remove a neuroma and got back to running for a bit with nothing else.  Then I had a lower back disk issue (according to my PT friend, and that still gives me twinges) in Nov and backed off before doing a Turkey Trot 5k.  I figure max 10 miles per week running for now while maximizing the bike.  Come Jan I'll start adding in some swimming, then in March when this wraps up I'll do the Metric Century and get back into it full time for all three disciplines for my A-race Sprint on June 5th.  Given no injuries of course!

For me its all about the bike.  I have found when I maximize bike training I can run 7:30-45 in sprints without a lot of miles.  I can get up to MOP swimming in 8 weeks but would like to get a faster in order to break into top 7 in that A-race which brings out the best racers in the central FL region.  Thinking about a swim coach this year to get me to that swim as the 2-3 minutes I need are right there!

Looks like you're recovery is coming along, that good to hear! I keep telling myself that endurance improvements in the bike will help on the run, and vice versa. But, I'm generally pretty hard on myself, so that's just the way it shakes out, never enough time in the day! I had a 34 minute swim tonight, which is double the longest I've ever done without stopping. I have had trouble turning off my brain while swimming, so I basically psych myself out by thinking about it. I was able to turn off my brain tonight, and focus on a couple basic swim elements and relax. So, it's coming along. next step will be to be able to duplicate that in open water during a race. I know I can only swim so fast, and all I focus on during races is relaxing, but I haven't been too successful. I know it's going to click one day, so I'm just keeping at it!

I'm slow on the run, so I have lots of improvements to make there, and I will, but I really want to get my bike to a certain point. I'll chip away at my run a little at a time. I'm a long ways from being podium material, but my focus is staying healthy, and would love to start doing longer triathlons. Just keep doing a little better each time is what I strive for!
2015-12-09 8:54 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

Originally posted by johnthecat

Ok I put the wrong number down then. It will be a lot higher than 228 then. Will have to check when I have a minute. Wife has been majorly sick since Sunday so I haven't been able to do anything but watch the kids and take care of her. .

That also reminds me that I never posted my intro.

Name: Markus

Story: 45 years old. Married for 17 years. 4 children. Two girls we adopted at an older age that are 19 and almost 17.. And then two little surprises a four year old boy and a three year old girl. I did Gymnastics as a kid on a competitive level from age 5 to 14, blew my ACL out and had to put gymnastics on hold. I did some Martial Arts, lots of inline and ice skating in my late teens and twenties. Moved to the US in 1998 and somewhat became less active. Picked up Gymnastics again at age 34 and try to go at least once a month sometimes I manage to make it every week for a while. A coworker got me interested in Triathlons in 2006. Sadly enough with adopting the kids, having kids and miscellaneous injuries that didn't happen for quite a few years. At the end of 2012 I started training with the goal to finally do a Tri in 2013. At the end of January 2013 I came down with an Autoimmune Disease names Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which is a disease that eats the outer layers of your peripheral nerves. In very severe cases people become temporarily paralyzed and have to be put on a ventilator, because the nerves controlling those muscles are not functioning. In my cases I had to deal with nerve damage in my legs and arms as well as nerves to my autonomous system. It took 8 months to get a diagnoses and by the time I got one I was already on the upward swing, though it took until February of this year to get 90% of all my functions back. By that time with having to take a few rounds of steroids over the last couple of years I had gotten myself up to 205 lbs. I started walking and running in March of this year and initially was only able to run 1/4 mile nonstop. Around April I started to get out on the bike and started swimming. While not very fast, I finally did complete my first Triathlon on Father's Day of this year and did two more later in the year. My running still suffers due to the nerve damage, but I finally see myself picking up some speed and I can now run 10 miles nonstop.

Goal of this program: This year maybe 10 % of my training time was spent on the bike. Interesting enough that didn't seem to hurt me to much as the bike was the discipline I always placed the highest compared to the swim and the run and actually quite higher than my final placement in the Tri. With that said I want to see what I can accomplish on the bike if I actually put some time in.

Goal 2016 race: Several sprint and maybe an Olympic in the Fall.

Welcome aboard Markus!

2015-12-09 9:05 PM

Right now I am running 4x & swimming 3x /week. I am also doing 3-4 strength training sessions. My total number of workouts is down right now due to hunting season. Once Christmas is over I will start adding more swims & runs. I plan to keep the run sessions to about 45 minutes max & focus on frequency. The swim will build to 5x/week. Nothing more than an hour per session until the end of wrestling season.
2015-12-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: 5stones

Originally posted by 5stones

Right now I am running 4x & swimming 3x /week. I am also doing 3-4 strength training sessions. My total number of workouts is down right now due to hunting season. Once Christmas is over I will start adding more swims & runs. I plan to keep the run sessions to about 45 minutes max & focus on frequency. The swim will build to 5x/week. Nothing more than an hour per session until the end of wrestling season.

I know what you mean, hunting season is putting a whoopin' on my training schedule too!
2015-12-10 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

WK02WO3 10x30s VO2 tempo done.  It seemed like a relatively easy workout with the first 5 (with longer recover periods) being harder than the last 10.  Go figure. Decided to try out the 3 sec smoothing and liked the smaller range of power numbers that result, but found that I constantly overshot the beginning of the VO2 segments as I was accelerating past the point of target power as I waited for the display to catch up. 

2015-12-10 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

WK02WO3 10x30s VO2 tempo done.  It seemed like a relatively easy workout with the first 5 (with longer recover periods) being harder than the last 10.  Go figure. Decided to try out the 3 sec smoothing and liked the smaller range of power numbers that result, but found that I constantly overshot the beginning of the VO2 segments as I was accelerating past the point of target power as I waited for the display to catch up. 

Hmm, the 'attach file after posting' seems to not be working.  I'll drop a note to the powers that be.

2015-12-10 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hmm, the 'attach file after posting' seems to not be working.  I'll drop a note to the powers that be.

Nice job!  Yeah I get the overshoot too a lot waiting fro the avg to catch up.  I now start building the power with about 5 sec beforehand so I don't make it so messy. 

I posted yesterday to Ron about the file attachment, also having issues with importing the power file into the training log. Something got screwed up in BT recently...

If the WO were up to me, I would have divided up the last 10' into two 5 parts; 5' at 70% then 5' at 90%, then cool down.

2015-12-10 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have clients in the office today and tomorrow, things aren't going all that well for them (that's ok with me paying hourly!). I'll likely have to push tomorrow's workout to Sat morning instead.

2015-12-10 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

"I posted yesterday to Ron about the file attachment, also having issues with importing the power file into the training log. Something got screwed up in BT recently..."

So I went to the site issues page to make Ron aware of this and went through the attachment process there so I could get the verbatim error message.  Bottom line, it attached the picture to the message.  Let's see if it'll work here.  How about a gratuitous dog photo.  She looks concerned, no?

Yup, seems to be working now.  Sorry for the humongous size; turns out you can't resized photos that have been attached using the "add attachment" route.

Edited by TTom 2015-12-10 9:53 PM

(photo1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo1.JPG (203KB - 6 downloads)
2015-12-11 10:20 AM

Workout 3 for this week completed. Since I don't use any of the online programs I have no graph to post, which by the way, I find very interesting to see what everyone else is able to do on the workout, but here are the #''s - Trainer Session WK4WO3: Pwr Avg-185, Max-314; Cad Avg-96, Max-134; HR Avg-145, Peak-164. Heading off to the mountains for some more hunting time but will be back next week on the trainer.
2015-12-13 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

WK3WO1 done.  Looks a lot like WK2WO3, but is quite a bit more demanding.  Have fun with it!

Edited by TTom 2015-12-13 1:28 PM

(WK3WO1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
WK3WO1.JPG (66KB - 4 downloads)
2015-12-13 5:41 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Long weekend working around the house, finally got the wk2 wo3 done, had too much energy (coffee at 5pm will do that!) and added in a 2' 95% effort during the 10' block. Bring on week 3!

(2015-12-13-wk2-wo3-10x30s+10.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-12-13-wk2-wo3-10x30s+10.JPG (125KB - 5 downloads)

2015-12-15 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Quiet Monday!?!

Got in wk3 wo1 this morning.  Was working on the intervals, felt good today.  I broke up the 15' block into equal 80% and 85% as the bike was between gears, part of the 52/34 setup.

Next...

(2015-12-15-wk3-wo1-5x1+15.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-12-15-wk3-wo1-5x1+15.JPG (119KB - 5 downloads)
2015-12-15 5:00 PM

User image

, Washington

Mid to end of last week I regressed with my cold but I think I'm now over it.

I did a 20' min test and uploaded my results in the spreadsheet.  216 which gives me a CP right on 200.

Rather than play catch-up, I did Wk 3 W01 today. Felt pretty good with a NP of 165.

2015-12-15 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

WK3WO02 in the books.  Interestingly enough the first two tempo intervals were the hardest.  Guess just warming up still.

(Wk3WO2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Wk3WO2.JPG (59KB - 3 downloads)
2015-12-15 7:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Good job Randy and Tom! 

Funny how doing this works, I can't wait to get on the bike for the next WO! 

Starting in Jan I've pretty much committed myself with riding Sat mornings with a local B rider group that's been asking for more riders to come out and join them.  40-50 miles and pace is 20-22mph so I need to get my endurance up once the legs are fully in tune with riding again.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2015 - 2016 Pages: 1 2

Started by donw
Views: 10988 Posts: 34

2016-10-12 8:40 AM Lumber Dad

Plank a day challenge 2015 Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by ransick
Views: 23773 Posts: 211

2016-01-06 12:40 PM marysia83

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2014 - 2015 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 10663 Posts: 53

2015-03-31 8:32 PM donw

Winter Cycling Program (2012 - 2013) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by D001
Views: 15415 Posts: 61

2013-03-05 3:09 PM wheeledwidewebb

Winter Cycling Program 2012-2013?

Started by TriFlyBoy
Views: 2544 Posts: 6

2012-11-12 5:54 AM RVachon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?