Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2015-12-15 9:13 PM
in reply to: Donto

Subject: RE: BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016
Definitely like being part of this Challenge rather than riding alone. Completed the 1' intervals this evening. I need to review my workouts from last year but if I recall correctly my cadence is higher than last year. I would be really happy to see the cadence increasing. I tend to mash way too much. Here are the #'s I do have from the workout today.

Trainer Session - WK5WO1: Cad Avg-94, Max-138; Pwr Avg-189, Max-341; HR Avg-137, Peak-155

2015-12-15 10:03 PM
in reply to: 0

I'm struggling to get my 2 workouts in per week, much less 3... .but I'll tell you one thing, I might slip further if I didn't feel accountable by this challenge! Sure, hunting season is putting a hurtin on my training schedule, not to mention my diet... at the deer camp, all the bad stuff is there! My dedication to improving my swim is also part of the challenge, but I can't be disappointed about my improvements there. Last night I did my first non-stop mile swim (actually 1.1 miles :-) I typically struggled to get to 800 yards before having to take a break, so I'm stoked there!

One other thing. I noticed the name of the workouts in GC are different than what ya'll have been posting. The ones in GC are like... "BTWK2-THR-1", "BTWK2-VO2-2", etc.... so I've just been picking the ones I like for each week and going for it. I also noticed that, as an example, I don't have a week 3 workout that looks like what someone else posted up here, regardless of the name. I may have missed information somewhere that this was explained as to which ones in GC to use... so if anyone can point me back to that, I would appreciate it.... or just let me know the best course of action... until then I'll keep chugging along.

Here's my 1st workout for week 3... since I've not been able to get my 3rd workout in for the last 2 weeks, I decided to challenge myself in that last long run, as well as add an additional 10 minutes to the ride after this workout ended....

Edited by Budwiiser 2015-12-15 10:05 PM

(Dec15.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dec15.jpg (268KB - 5 downloads)
2015-12-15 10:06 PM

one more thing. I'm copying a screenshot into paint and saving down into a jpg file. Clearly, my images are not as legible as some of the others... any pointers on a better course of action there?
2015-12-16 1:24 AM
in reply to: Budwiiser

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Did you import the BT cycle program into Golden Cheetah, or did you locate it within Golden Cheetah?
I could not seem to find it after opening GC .... ooops ... I just realized that I assumed "gc " was Golden Cheetah... is that what you are using or does "gc" stand for Garmin Connect??

thanks
2015-12-16 6:51 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

Originally posted by triosaurus

Did you import the BT cycle program into Golden Cheetah, or did you locate it within Golden Cheetah?
I could not seem to find it after opening GC .... ooops ... I just realized that I assumed "gc " was Golden Cheetah... is that what you are using or does "gc" stand for Garmin Connect??

thanks

Yes, golden cheetah, and I did not load anything, these were just there. I'm guessing that's a step I missed?
2015-12-16 7:19 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Budwiiser
Originally posted by triosaurus Did you import the BT cycle program into Golden Cheetah, or did you locate it within Golden Cheetah? I could not seem to find it after opening GC .... ooops ... I just realized that I assumed "gc " was Golden Cheetah... is that what you are using or does "gc" stand for Garmin Connect?? thanks
Yes, golden cheetah, and I did not load anything, these were just there. I'm guessing that's a step I missed?
I beleive that someone posted the workouts from Marc & Shane's old power mentor thread onto the GC server and used "BT" to start the file names.  Download the .MRC files I attached in the 3rd post on page 1 of this thread.  I started the name of these workouts as "BTWCP..." for the name of the program 'BT Winter Cycling Program'.  You can import the workouts and go from there.  Oh, one of the files has an error, I cannot remember which one as Tom caught it when he uploaded them for TR.  I'll look them over again later and let you know which one it is and attach it to a reply.

2015-12-16 8:31 AM

Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by triosaurus Did you import the BT cycle program into Golden Cheetah, or did you locate it within Golden Cheetah? I could not seem to find it after opening GC .... ooops ... I just realized that I assumed "gc " was Golden Cheetah... is that what you are using or does "gc" stand for Garmin Connect?? thanks
I beleive that someone posted the workouts from Marc & Shane's old power mentor thread onto the GC server and used "BT" to start the file names.  Download the .MRC files I attached in the 3rd post on page 1 of this thread.  I started the name of these workouts as "BTWCP..." for the name of the program 'BT Winter Cycling Program'.  You can import the workouts and go from there.  Oh, one of the files has an error, I cannot remember which one as Tom caught it when he uploaded them for TR.  I'll look them over again later and let you know which one it is and attach it to a reply.

Great, thanks a bunch... Sorry I missed that
2015-12-16 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hi guys,

Attached are two modified MRC files:

1. WK3-WO1 that had an error in that I think Tom fixed for the ones that have been uploaded to TR.
  2. I also found an error in the WK4-WO1 file.  Tom if you didn't catch that one please change the uploaded TR file.

I also have most of the Phase 2 files ready, wow I forgot about the work that will soon be busting our collective @sses! 

Edited by Donto 2015-12-16 2:44 PM

Attachments
----------------
BT-WCP-Wk3Wo1+Wk4Wo1-mrc-files.zip (0KB - 7 downloads)
2015-12-16 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Don, I'm looking at WK4WO1 and don't see the error - other than this looks like a real ball-buster.  Would you please identify it for me so I can fix it.

2015-12-16 4:45 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TTom

Don, I'm looking at WK4WO1 and don't see the error - other than this looks like a real ball-buster.  Would you please identify it for me so I can fix it.

Ha, then your going to hate having to add another 4' segment!  I made the original 4x4', its suppose to be 5x4'.  This is the prelude to the famous (infamous!) Phase 2 6x4' workouts.

2015-12-16 6:16 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Wow, I missed a lot.

I had emergency travel for work last week (on a plane so I couldn't take my bike and trainer) so I missed 2 week 2 workouts. I rode mountain bike Saturday and Sunday so I just called it even and started Week 3 yesterday so I don't get behind the 8 ball. Wk3WO1 was no problem though, so I don't think it hurt me much.

Anyways, I'm back!

2015-12-16 7:01 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Ha, then your going to hate having to add another 4' segment!  I made the original 4x4', its suppose to be 5x4'.  This is the prelude to the famous (infamous!) Phase 2 6x4' workouts.

Ha, Ha!! You're too funny!

My initial responses:

1) Er, What?

2) We've got a bad connection; you're breaking up.  Sounded like you said, "add another 4' segment", but that can't be right.

3) No, seriously - what's the error?

4) I'm glad I'm the one updating this - 4 segments is plenty!

Actual response:  Done.  This one's gonna hurt.

2015-12-16 7:34 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Bradleykd Wow, I missed a lot. I had emergency travel for work last week (on a plane so I couldn't take my bike and trainer) so I missed 2 week 2 workouts. I rode mountain bike Saturday and Sunday so I just called it even and started Week 3 yesterday so I don't get behind the 8 ball. Wk3WO1 was no problem though, so I don't think it hurt me much. Anyways, I'm back!
Welcome back!  BTDT for unplanned work travels.  

2015-12-16 7:38 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Ha, Ha!! You're too funny!

My initial responses:

1) Er, What?

2) We've got a bad connection; you're breaking up.  Sounded like you said, "add another 4' segment", but that can't be right.

3) No, seriously - what's the error?

4) I'm glad I'm the one updating this - 4 segments is plenty!

Actual response:  Done.  This one's gonna hurt.

LOL!  Consider it nice a prelude to the 20min test the following week.  I setup the 20' tests to have a 110% guide, these 5x4' are ONLY at 105%, the pain is just beginning!

2015-12-16 8:42 PM

I didn't expect this one to be so challenging. I made it through, but was feeling it long before the halfway point. Not sure if going two days in a row is what did it, or if it's just a hard workout and I'm too much of a NOOB to realize what I was getting in to on this one... And as you can see, I was all over the place, just couldn't settle in to a rhythm... even when I felt I was settling in, it just wasn't reality.... but I made it!

Edited by Budwiiser 2015-12-16 8:43 PM

(Dec16.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dec16.jpg (187KB - 8 downloads)
2015-12-17 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Wk3 Wo3 in the books, short on time this morning as I need to be in the office by 10:30 so did the shorter WO.  The weather is suppose to break this weekend so I'll do wo2 then.

(2015-12-17-wk3-wo3-10x30s+10.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
2015-12-17-wk3-wo3-10x30s+10.JPG (126KB - 6 downloads)

2015-12-17 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Budwiiser I didn't expect this one to be so challenging. I made it through, but was feeling it long before the halfway point. Not sure if going two days in a row is what did it, or if it's just a hard workout and I'm too much of a NOOB to realize what I was getting in to on this one... And as you can see, I was all over the place, just couldn't settle in to a rhythm... even when I felt I was settling in, it just wasn't reality.... but I made it!
I'm with you - this one was challenging.  Let's see how we do on that Wk4WO1 now

2015-12-17 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Chad,

Regarding "I was all over the place". Looking at the zoom in on your ride there doesn't appear to be a lot of correlation of the power spikes and dips to your cadence.  Makes me wonder if you are getting tire slippage.  What kind of tire are you using?  And its a CO Fluid2 right?.  Also are you using any averaging? I can't recall these details at the moment...

Wait are you using a power meter or Virtual Power?

Edited by Donto 2015-12-17 12:15 PM

(Chad-ride-look.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Chad-ride-look.JPG (54KB - 4 downloads)
2015-12-17 1:38 PM

User image

, Washington

Wk3 Wo#2 done. 

It wasn't a very exciting workout since it was basically a 45min tempo.  During the 75%CP sections I dropped my cadence to 65 to simulate a small hill, although power remains constant via the Computrainer.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out in Perfpro how to get a simple summary page.  I can cut/paste/crop things but I guess I'm too lazy for that. I see a place to create a custom report but that involves some .xsl work.  I'll attempt to attach the chart at least.

Edited by RandyP 2015-12-17 1:42 PM

(Beginner Triathete Winter Cycling Plan Phase1 WK3 WO2 9x5 tempo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Beginner Triathete Winter Cycling Plan Phase1 WK3 WO2 9x5 tempo.jpg (70KB - 9 downloads)
2015-12-17 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Wow, finishing up the last interval I'm really pumped!  This ride was awesome.  Seemed easy.   Power consistency was like nothing I've done before.  The only area of power deviation was when I was texting my wife in the other room to bring me my water bottle (red circle)

At about minute 35 I started having my doubts.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.  So started watching the power from my pedals on the Garmin 910 and comparing it to the power on the TrainerRoad screen.  There was a 30 WATT difference!  Crap! Crap! Crap!  Now I was wondering about the consistency and whether it was smoothing the power as well.  When I finished the ride I opened my profile and found trainer road had reverted to Virtual Power but power smoothing was at zero.  Tried changing the tension on the trainer, going from 110 psi to 100, but the power differential remained. 

Yesterday after I fixed the WK4WO4 I noticed my FTP had been reset back to an older, higher value.  I'm wondering if TrainerRoad didn't push out an update that reset the profile based on what was on the website data as the website data's latest FTP number was the one from 8 months ago.  I'm not sure how to go about resolving this differential between the PM and virtual power, or if it is even worth it as I reset to turn off virtual power so will see only the PM numbers on the screen going forward.  My current FTP/CP values were set this way, so would be consistent, and when I hit the road will have the PM numbers there.

So, I'm looking at it optimistically as a recovery day and a really consistent power performance.  Suggest anyone else that is using trainer road check their profile online and on the computer app to make sure their FTP is correct based on the last test we did and if you are using a power meter on the bike, make sure that virtual power is not enabled.

2015-12-17 4:02 PM

Chad,

Regarding "I was all over the place". Looking at the zoom in on your ride there doesn't appear to be a lot of correlation of the power spikes and dips to your cadence.  Makes me wonder if you are getting tire slippage.  What kind of tire are you using?  And its a CO Fluid2 right?.  Also are you using any averaging? I can't recall these details at the moment...

Hey Don, thanks for taking a look. I know I'm not extremely consistent, but this one did appear to be quite off. Since you mentioned tire slippage, I do recall a bit of annoying squeaking that I don't remember hearing before, so you could be on to something.

I'm using a Trek branded cyclops mag trainer and a power2max power meter. For the main graph, I do not have the power reading set to averaging (I'm fairly sure of this) but I do have a power reading elsewhere on my screen reading a 3 second average.

I'm using the stock Vitoria zaffiro slick tires.

I think I may have forgotten to verify my tire pressure before this ride, but I definitely did the night before, so I don't anticipate that I lost enough to cause it...... Maybe....

2015-12-17 4:18 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Chad,

Hey Don, thanks for taking a look. I know I'm not extremely consistent, but this one did appear to be quite off. Since you mentioned tire slippage, I do recall a bit of annoying squeaking that I don't remember hearing before, so you could be on to something. I'm using a Trek branded cyclops mag trainer and a power2max power meter. For the main graph, I do not have the power reading set to averaging (I'm fairly sure of this) but I do have a power reading elsewhere on my screen reading a 3 second average. I'm using the stock Vitoria zaffiro slick tires. I think I may have forgotten to verify my tire pressure before this ride, but I definitely did the night before, so I don't anticipate that I lost enough to cause it...... Maybe....
Check the tire too for wear.  When I first had my trainer I was due for new tires and used the Vitoria Rubio Pro slick I had at the time. It was down to the cords on the 2nd ride. Lots of black tire specs all around too though so it should be obvious if its really wearing.

Edited by Donto 2015-12-17 4:18 PM
2015-12-17 4:21 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Wow, finishing up the last interval I'm really pumped!  This ride was awesome.  Seemed easy.   Power consistency was like nothing I've done before.  The only area of power deviation was when I was texting my wife in the other room to bring me my water bottle (red circle)

At about minute 35 I started having my doubts.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't.  So started watching the power from my pedals on the Garmin 910 and comparing it to the power on the TrainerRoad screen.  There was a 30 WATT difference!  Crap! Crap! Crap!  Now I was wondering about the consistency and whether it was smoothing the power as well.  When I finished the ride I opened my profile and found trainer road had reverted to Virtual Power but power smoothing was at zero.  Tried changing the tension on the trainer, going from 110 psi to 100, but the power differential remained. 

Yesterday after I fixed the WK4WO4 I noticed my FTP had been reset back to an older, higher value.  I'm wondering if TrainerRoad didn't push out an update that reset the profile based on what was on the website data as the website data's latest FTP number was the one from 8 months ago.  I'm not sure how to go about resolving this differential between the PM and virtual power, or if it is even worth it as I reset to turn off virtual power so will see only the PM numbers on the screen going forward.  My current FTP/CP values were set this way, so would be consistent, and when I hit the road will have the PM numbers there.

So, I'm looking at it optimistically as a recovery day and a really consistent power performance.  Suggest anyone else that is using trainer road check their profile online and on the computer app to make sure their FTP is correct based on the last test we did and if you are using a power meter on the bike, make sure that virtual power is not enabled.

Well that sucks!  Yeah, I'd only use the PM numbers since that's what you're generating. 

2015-12-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: RandyP

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by RandyP

Wk3 Wo#2 done. 

It wasn't a very exciting workout since it was basically a 45min tempo.  During the 75%CP sections I dropped my cadence to 65 to simulate a small hill, although power remains constant via the Computrainer.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out in Perfpro how to get a simple summary page.  I can cut/paste/crop things but I guess I'm too lazy for that. I see a place to create a custom report but that involves some .xsl work.  I'll attempt to attach the chart at least.

I agree it can be one of those ho-hum WO's.

I remember asking coach Jorge (the program's originator) if I wanted to do only 3 rides a week and one being outdoors which are the workouts to focus on and he said WOs 1 and WOs 3.  I do plan on riding outside starting in Jan so I may go this route again until I can handle 4x/wk.

2015-12-17 8:39 PM

Do you know if the workouts from Marc & Shane's power mentor thread are accessible? I am curious to take a look at some of them. Basically I am looking for some more of the 100% + CP type workouts.

Completed WO3 this morning. Trainer Session/Winter Cycle Program - WK5WO3: Cad Avg-94, Max-137; Pwr Avg-190, Max-329; HR Avg-143, Peak-162. Heart rate was higher, both avg & peak from WO1. The other data was virtually the same. I was curious to see the data b/c my perception/memory heading into the session was that WO3 seemed harder than WO1. Depending on the weather Sat I might try to get out on the road.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » BT Winter Cycling Program Challenge 2015 - 2016 Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2015 - 2016 Pages: 1 2

Started by donw
Views: 10966 Posts: 34

2016-10-12 8:40 AM Lumber Dad

Plank a day challenge 2015 Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by ransick
Views: 23738 Posts: 211

2016-01-06 12:40 PM marysia83

Crappy Winter Weather Challenge 2014 - 2015 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 10646 Posts: 53

2015-03-31 8:32 PM donw

Winter Cycling Program (2012 - 2013) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by D001
Views: 15397 Posts: 61

2013-03-05 3:09 PM wheeledwidewebb

Winter Cycling Program 2012-2013?

Started by TriFlyBoy
Views: 2541 Posts: 6

2012-11-12 5:54 AM RVachon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.

date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?