BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-04-05 10:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

I need some help thinking through my replacement race.  I told DH I don't want to "settle" when choosing. It'll be hard to find a race that I will be as excited about as I was for Moab :,(  but I really want to look forward to my first ultra. The short list right now is: 

Option 1) May 1 near Montrose Colorado. We lived there for several years and it would be fun to visit. The race is very small, like 30 people. It's an out and back on dirt roads. Neither of those two aspects thrills me. The scenery will be pretty though.

Option 2) June 4 in the mountains outside Denver. It's much larger and is on single and double track in the wooded mountains. I'm more excited about the race itself on this one but it is so far out, calendar wise. I even wondered about switching gears and training for the 50 mile.

I did consider both, the first as a 50k and the second as a 50m but they aren't cheap and both require travel.

Thoughts?

Just the way you wrote the post makes me say option 2.  The question is does the prospect of keeping your mileage up -or increasing if you do the 50 miler, make you cringe or are you ok with the training load?

I don't know. I'd hoped to decide whether to go longer after FINISHING Moab. I wouldn't even know what to do now to bridge to a 50k in 8-9 weeks. I suppose I could look at a 50 mile plan and see what the volume looks like. Wow this sux. 

2016-04-05 11:54 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

I need some help thinking through my replacement race.  I told DH I don't want to "settle" when choosing. It'll be hard to find a race that I will be as excited about as I was for Moab :,(  but I really want to look forward to my first ultra. The short list right now is: 

Option 1) May 1 near Montrose Colorado. We lived there for several years and it would be fun to visit. The race is very small, like 30 people. It's an out and back on dirt roads. Neither of those two aspects thrills me. The scenery will be pretty though.

Option 2) June 4 in the mountains outside Denver. It's much larger and is on single and double track in the wooded mountains. I'm more excited about the race itself on this one but it is so far out, calendar wise. I even wondered about switching gears and training for the 50 mile.

I did consider both, the first as a 50k and the second as a 50m but they aren't cheap and both require travel.

Thoughts?

Just the way you wrote the post makes me say option 2.  The question is does the prospect of keeping your mileage up -or increasing if you do the 50 miler, make you cringe or are you ok with the training load?

I don't know. I'd hoped to decide whether to go longer after FINISHING Moab. I wouldn't even know what to do now to bridge to a 50k in 8-9 weeks. I suppose I could look at a 50 mile plan and see what the volume looks like. Wow this sux. 

Do the race that seems interesting, remember the fun part, but stick with the 50k. You're newer to the really long stuff. You're coming off being sick, so will need a little to get back into things on top of needing to taper again later. So it's really going to be more like 5 weeks or so of good training. Maybe 6 if you're already started coming around well. Not 2+ months. I'm also remembering your marathon being a little tougher on you too. A 50k is still a really long way. It's farther than a marathon.

2016-04-05 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thoughts?

I'd say do the event that you are excited for and stick to the 50k distance.  I'd maybe step back the training and maybe do an HM or similar this month and then ramp it back up again.  The Denver event is in about eight weekends (8 weeks, 5 days).

2016-04-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Thoughts?

Do the race that seems interesting, remember the fun part, but stick with the 50k. You're newer to the really long stuff. You're coming off being sick, so will need a little to get back into things on top of needing to taper again later. So it's really going to be more like 5 weeks or so of good training. Maybe 6 if you're already started coming around well. Not 2+ months. I'm also remembering your marathon being a little tougher on you too. A 50k is still a really long way. It's farther than a marathon.

So the races I'm looking at are 4 weeks out (including this week), or 9 weeks out. There is one I could squeeze in to next weekend but that's probably less than ideal.  It's been 3 weeks since I did 26 miles and 2 weeks since I did 13.  I'm not sure how I should train for a "bridge" from where I am now to either/any of those races. Would any of them be better in that respect?

And yes, my marathon was rough, but I am putting in many more miles on this training plan. I'm hoping that consistency will be the difference.

2016-04-05 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thoughts?

So the races I'm looking at are 4 weeks out (including this week), or 9 weeks out. There is one I could squeeze in to next weekend but that's probably less than ideal.  It's been 3 weeks since I did 26 miles and 2 weeks since I did 13.  I'm not sure how I should train for a "bridge" from where I am now to either/any of those races. Would any of them be better in that respect?

And yes, my marathon was rough, but I am putting in many more miles on this training plan. I'm hoping that consistency will be the difference.

I think that what Ben was saying is that you have eight weekends between now and the Denver area event.  Take out three weekends for taper and that leaves five training weekends.  Take out one or two weekends to build back to peak and that leaves about three big mileage weekends.  (Ben, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

What I was saying is that if you feel good now and use this weekend to get back into the swing of things you could maybe do that ABQ half on the 16th and then start back at peak training for the next 3-4 weeks before tapering.

2016-04-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Thoughts?

I think that what Ben was saying is that you have eight weekends between now and the Denver area event.  Take out three weekends for taper and that leaves five training weekends.  Take out one or two weekends to build back to peak and that leaves about three big mileage weekends.  (Ben, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

What I was saying is that if you feel good now and use this weekend to get back into the swing of things you could maybe do that ABQ half on the 16th and then start back at peak training for the next 3-4 weeks before tapering.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You don't have two months to build up to whatever the 50 mile might get to. You have just over 1 month of building up after taking out the taper and the recovery/rebuilding. That's not really a whole lot. The easiest thing to do would be building back into the plan you had been following. Set the new race date plan it back from there. Taking maybe a couple weeks to get back up to speed depending on how well you are recovering. I know I'm never full speed the instant something passes. I think you're already doing the biggest event you've ever done. Don't forget that. You can take some things learned from the first time through this training and apply them here.

Following Janyne's suggestion for the immediate race might be ok too. Could be fun and people have their own ways of finding where their fitness is.

2016-04-05 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You don't have two months to build up to whatever the 50 mile might get to. You have just over 1 month of building up after taking out the taper and the recovery/rebuilding. That's not really a whole lot. The easiest thing to do would be building back into the plan you had been following. Set the new race date plan it back from there. Taking maybe a couple weeks to get back up to speed depending on how well you are recovering. I know I'm never full speed the instant something passes. I think you're already doing the biggest event you've ever done. Don't forget that. You can take some things learned from the first time through this training and apply them here.

Following Janyne's suggestion for the immediate race might be ok too. Could be fun and people have their own ways of finding where their fitness is.

I just know that mentally, a shorter event would help me out.  It's definitely not necessary and I understand that it could even be a distraction but, if it would help you out with the mental aspects, it could work (besides, it could be fun!)

2016-04-05 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thoughts?

I go with Option 3.

• Don't settle.
  • Figure out if travel is or isn't a viable part of the solution. 
  • Honestly assess your current situation.
  • Look for something that excites you, using all possible criteria (distance, scenery, training options, fitness, goals, travel options, etc)
  • Choose intelligently!

I know I am flying in the face of the Manatee Mantra today, but I may become the guy that asks everyone for an honest inventory of their current situation before answering this type of question. What is an honest inventory, you ask:

• Where are you now? Health, current training time, current fitness level, etc
  • What do you want? Call them goals or expectations, but the question is the same.
  • What do you have to give? Time, talent, commitment, health, etc

This is actually what has me on the fence with this year's schedule for myself, racing wise. I am not sure what I want and what I have to give. So how can I choose what to do????

2016-04-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Thoughts?

I just know that mentally, a shorter event would help me out.  It's definitely not necessary and I understand that it could even be a distraction but, if it would help you out with the mental aspects, it could work (besides, it could be fun!)

I wish I could. The ABQ half is fun, I did it last year. But April 16 is a big day for RWB events all over the country and I agreed to do a short run with the local chapter. I wish we could combine the two but I can't really ask them to pay for the RWB event and the ABQ half for the same day.

2016-04-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Thoughts?

I go with Option 3.

• Don't settle.
  • Look for something that excites you, using all possible criteria (distance, scenery, training options, fitness, goals, travel options, etc)
  • Choose intelligently!

I know I am flying in the face of the Manatee Mantra today, but I may become the guy that asks everyone for an honest inventory of their current situation before answering this type of question. What is an honest inventory, you ask:

• What do you want? Call them goals or expectations, but the question is the same.

This is actually what has me on the fence with this year's schedule for myself, racing wise. I am not sure what I want and what I have to give. So how can I choose what to do????

I still have zero races or even events planned due to some of these same issues.

2016-04-05 1:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Lovelee, lovelee Manatees

All this talk of marathoning and DO EET and think about it and part-time jobs ...

I do love you all dearly and miss you. Deepest thanks for the support, and I do need it. Totally overwhelmed with something like 3.5 jobs and managing Mutti's ever-more complex care and crazy household (crazier since we moved the office back into our house. It's a huge house with tons of staff anyway, so it made sense rather than paying extortionate urban business-space rental prices). And helping disadvantaged Indonesians and fightin' the bad gubmint. Coaching in full turbo.

CONGRATULATIONS STACE FACE on the race with K you guys are the best!

IF you want to do the full mary, Galloway is the way to go. I think I've made some comments along these lines before, but while it's a low-mileage manageable program, it is NOT flexible. You WILL be walking a lot. You WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT get faster. You really cannot skip any of the runs since it's minimal anyway.

You don't lose anything by starting it. In any case you'll be decently prepared for the half.

I'll be back in Perf most of June. I WILL catch you then! Eastertime just wasn't possible between us and I spent a good bit of time horrifically sick (yeah, what's new) when I was there. Although usually I'm sick elsewheres, then recovering in Perth ... but this time I was in perfect health in New Zealand (except for all my joints ... but the internal medicine was going great!), sick in Perth, now healthy again back in Indonesia for a while (which is good as there's beyond so much to do).

2016-04-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Thoughts?

I go with Option 3.

• Don't settle.
  • Choose intelligently!

Funny, I decided to take a look at SE Georgia for maybe a destination race and visit DS2. There is nada down there for ultras 

2016-04-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

All this talk of marathoning and DO EET and think about it and part-time jobs ...

I do love you all dearly and miss you. Deepest thanks for the support, and I do need it. Totally overwhelmed with something like 3.5 jobs and managing Mutti's ever-more complex care and crazy household (crazier since we moved the office back into our house. It's a huge house with tons of staff anyway, so it made sense rather than paying extortionate urban business-space rental prices). And helping disadvantaged Indonesians and fightin' the bad gubmint. Coaching in full turbo.

IF you want to do the full mary, Galloway is the way to go. I think I've made some comments along these lines before, but while it's a low-mileage manageable program, it is NOT flexible. You WILL be walking a lot. You WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT get faster. You really cannot skip any of the runs since it's minimal anyway.

You don't lose anything by starting it. In any case you'll be decently prepared for the half.

I'll be back in Perf most of June. I WILL catch you then! Eastertime just wasn't possible between us and I spent a good bit of time horrifically sick (yeah, what's new) when I was there. Although usually I'm sick elsewheres, then recovering in Perth ... but this time I was in perfect health in New Zealand (except for all my joints ... but the internal medicine was going great!), sick in Perth, now healthy again back in Indonesia for a while (which is good as there's beyond so much to do).

As always, your life is a circus without intermission. Glad you are feeling better and let me add my congrats on the coaching cert.

2016-04-05 2:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser

As always, your life is a circus without intermission. Glad you are feeling better and let me add my congrats on the coaching cert.

I do like peanuts, popcorn, and flexible acrobats

Many thanks, and good luck with picking a replacement race. Heeey ... you know we have great ultras on this side of the planet (although the North Face 100 in Hong Kong got FROZEN OUT this year! Truth! Crazy. I mean it can get plenty cold there, it's far enough north of the equator, but it's usually temperate and freezing temperatures/freezing rain is unheard of).

2016-04-05 4:26 PM

User image

Hey everyone, hope the weather's starting to improve wherever you're training/racing. I hear the Northeast is finally getting the winter it missed out on this year. I just signed up for my 1st Tri of 2016 (race is next weekend, Oly distance) and the race website's comments about the swim are: "The swim is in a small, man-made lake. All distances will start together in a time trial/swim stream fashion. We will start people 1-2 at a time every 1 -2 seconds so it will be a steady stream of people." I've never heard of this before and it sounds like it could be utter chaotic. Has anyone ever done anything like this?
2016-04-05 4:30 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Hey everyone, hope the weather's starting to improve wherever you're training/racing. I hear the Northeast is finally getting the winter it missed out on this year. I just signed up for my 1st Tri of 2016 (race is next weekend, Oly distance) and the race website's comments about the swim are: "The swim is in a small, man-made lake. All distances will start together in a time trial/swim stream fashion. We will start people 1-2 at a time every 1 -2 seconds so it will be a steady stream of people." I've never heard of this before and it sounds like it could be utter chaotic. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

That's your typical rolling start that Ironman has started to default to. When you pass the timing mat, your race starts. Hopefully people seed themselves accordingly, but at least in a lake there should be plenty of room to go around slow people. It's actually a pretty good way to start a race. Only bad thing is that if you see someone on the bike or the run that are in your age group, you have no idea when that person started relative to you. So you won't know how you did until the times are posted.

2016-04-05 4:51 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by Jet Black

That's your typical rolling start that Ironman has started to default to. When you pass the timing mat, your race starts. Hopefully people seed themselves accordingly, but at least in a lake there should be plenty of room to go around slow people. It's actually a pretty good way to start a race. Only bad thing is that if you see someone on the bike or the run that are in your age group, you have no idea when that person started relative to you. So you won't know how you did until the times are posted.

When does the seeding actually take place? Is it just informal signs that you stand by at the swim start?
2016-04-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Cool, thanks! I didn't know you self seed yourself. Sounds like I'll have no idea how I did until the end but I enjoy the part of having to wait to see if I placed or not.
2016-04-05 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
TJ I hope you find a race that inspires you almost as much as Moab did. It definitely sounds like the first one you listed isn't it though.

Thanks for all you thoughts about the Marathon, you have given me a great deal to think about. It will keep me desecrated at work for some time I think. The truth is I don't know if my reasons for wanting to do it are strong enough to keep me focused on the plan. Articulating the reasons is difficult and maybe that points to them not being that strong.

What I have decided to do is to start the plan as the first 6 weeks fit in perfectly for the 12k that I am doing in May. I will then reassess after then whether I do the half or the full at the end of August.
2016-04-05 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone, hope the weather's starting to improve wherever you're training/racing. I hear the Northeast is finally getting the winter it missed out on this year. I just signed up for my 1st Tri of 2016 (race is next weekend, Oly distance) and the race website's comments about the swim are: "The swim is in a small, man-made lake. All distances will start together in a time trial/swim stream fashion. We will start people 1-2 at a time every 1 -2 seconds so it will be a steady stream of people." I've never heard of this before and it sounds like it could be utter chaotic. Has anyone ever done anything like this?
Cool, thanks! I didn't know you self seed yourself. Sounds like I'll have no idea how I did until the end but I enjoy the part of having to wait to see if I placed or not.

Yeah, and as Sean alluded to, it makes it harder to tactically race as opposed to straight up time trial the event.

What would bother me is that you don't have the flexibility to chose fast/medium/slow or no feet to follow on the swim, or decide when to drop the hammer on the run, for example.  You get what you get, based on how people seeded themselves, and have to simply race your race.  There's an appeal there, of course, but it imposes some restrictions.

If you want to really time trial and take the tactical piece related to other competitors out of the equation (still many personal tactical decisions to make, but I'm talking about working your competitor group for a legal advantage - and the mental part of assessing others and timing bursts of speed for effect and such, which is a part that I personally like), then it's much more an ideal setup than a mass or wave start, as it really mixes the field.

There are wrinkles on the above, but it captures how I see the good and bad of that format.

M

2016-04-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Weird thing happened today, in the context of finding balance and such.

I decided to skip a mid-day run in favor of some unplanned conversations at work.  The impromptu meetings were hugely productive... and I really enjoyed NOT going for a run. 

Similar to last Saturday when I decided to go for a longish hike/climb/boulder/hunt rather than run/yoga (which is what Kim and I usually do on Saturday).  Wasn't a hardcore sweatfest, but I had a blast and didn't regret a minute of it.

Almost feels like I'm starting to control my working out, even as I VERY happily return to being able to do so, rather than the converse.

Like I said, a weird feeling. 

I suppose it's what most people would call "normal," but not too long ago, if I missed that run I would have been a SOOPERGRUMP all day.  Being in a training block for a specific race would probably have changed that, I think. 

That is all.

Matt

2016-04-05 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Weird thing happened today, in the context of finding balance and such.

I decided to skip a mid-day run in favor of some unplanned conversations at work.  The impromptu meetings were hugely productive... and I really enjoyed NOT going for a run. 

Similar to last Saturday when I decided to go for a longish hike/climb/boulder/hunt rather than run/yoga (which is what Kim and I usually do on Saturday).  Wasn't a hardcore sweatfest, but I had a blast and didn't regret a minute of it.

Almost feels like I'm starting to control my working out, even as I VERY happily return to being able to do so, rather than the converse.

Like I said, a weird feeling. 

I suppose it's what most people would call "normal," but not too long ago, if I missed that run I would have been a SOOPERGRUMP all day.  Being in a training block for a specific race would probably have changed that, I think. 

That is all.

Matt

Funny, I ended up getting redirected at work after unplanned conversations, and it was bad. Real SOOPERGRUMP bad. But after work I got in some trailtime on the mtb. Just what the Dr ordered. Much better now.

Balance is different for us all, and it can be found wherever you look. Or don't look, at times.

2016-04-05 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

It's good to see you! I hope all is well and that above all you take care of yourself, Mutti and your husband!

2016-04-05 7:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone, hope the weather's starting to improve wherever you're training/racing. I hear the Northeast is finally getting the winter it missed out on this year. I just signed up for my 1st Tri of 2016 (race is next weekend, Oly distance) and the race website's comments about the swim are: "The swim is in a small, man-made lake. All distances will start together in a time trial/swim stream fashion. We will start people 1-2 at a time every 1 -2 seconds so it will be a steady stream of people." I've never heard of this before and it sounds like it could be utter chaotic. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Yeah, and as Sean alluded to, it makes it harder to tactically race as opposed to straight up time trial the event.

What would bother me is that you don't have the flexibility to chose fast/medium/slow or no feet to follow on the swim, or decide when to drop the hammer on the run, for example.  You get what you get, based on how people seeded themselves, and have to simply race your race.  There's an appeal there, of course, but it imposes some restrictions.

If you want to really time trial and take the tactical piece related to other competitors out of the equation (still many personal tactical decisions to make, but I'm talking about working your competitor group for a legal advantage - and the mental part of assessing others and timing bursts of speed for effect and such, which is a part that I personally like), then it's much more an ideal setup than a mass or wave start, as it really mixes the field.

There are wrinkles on the above, but it captures how I see the good and bad of that format.

M

I get the tactical part, but think it affects a lot less people than make a fuss about it. Especially with an IM, no one is keeping track of 700 or 1200 or whatever the number of people in front of them is. Smaller age groups picking out the entirety of their competition in those numbers sounds crazy too. I've done the rolling start before and it was rather nice. It's not an MDot race, though still had 2 at a time ever 3 seconds or so. With the beach start and long run out in the water there was a big gap when each of us left. I hate the mad rush at the swim starts and this avoided that entirely. The rest of the swim was very much like the mid to later parts of any other swim, it just went the whole way.

2016-04-05 10:47 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
So one thing I've been thinking about is what a true "Sprint" Triathlon would look like. We all know that even the shortest Sprint isn't really a sprint as you can't stay anaerobic for longer than about 2 minutes so you aerobic system is used no matter what, opposed to for an example 100 meter dash where all of that would be anaerobic. I've taken the 50 m freestyle, 500 m bike track record (flying start) and the 200 meter dash world records as they are all somewhere around the 20 second mark and added them up. This is how this would look like with the current world records:

Men

50 m freestyle swim: 20.91 Seconds. Olympic size pool (WR for short pool is actually faster)
500 m track cycling: 24.758 Seconds (Flying start)
200 m dash: 19.19 Seconds

Total 1:04.858

Women

50 m freestyle swim: 23.73 Seconds. Olympic size pool (WR for short pool is actually faster)
500 m track cycling: 29.234 Seconds(Flying start)
200 m dash: 21.34 Seconds

Total 1:14.304

Anyone up for a challenge to post their "Sprint times" and add them up for fun?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 890 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.