BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-01-04 7:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

Mark, I am currently using a Garmin 310xt, and before that I used a Timex Global Trainer. Both work OK in the pool, using the "in the cap" method. Garmin auto syncs with Strava using Garmin Connect. When I used the Timex, I was doing a "file dance" to get it loaded to Strava. I think someone in here uses a Polar and another uses Suunto, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

Good point.  Lap swimming versus open water swimming.

Ann-Marie mentioned DC Rainmaker.  Here's his latest post on GPS recommendations:  My Winter 2015-2016 Sports Gadget Recommendations

2016-01-04 7:56 AM

User image

Hi Guys, I am so pleased to be in this group with so many experienced people, hopefully I won't be too annoying with all the stupid questions!
2016-01-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is what I have for the roster so far.  Please feel free to correct me!

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Needs to post bio: Kevin (microdoc), Robin (ceilidh)

MIA: Yaniti, Melanie, Mary S, Monica, Laura, Tom A, Randee, Steve

2016-01-04 8:02 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper Hi Guys, I am so pleased to be in this group with so many experienced people, hopefully I won't be too annoying with all the stupid questions!

You won't annoy us.  You may force us to actually talk about triathlon instead of dogs, food (pop tarts!), etc.

2016-01-04 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I'm here, I'm here, I'm here!!!

So happy to come back for another round of Manatee Madness. :D Bio forthcoming, and really pumped to see so many new faces.
2016-01-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Munich, Bayern
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Lighttower FAMILY STATUS: Single, never married, no children. :-)

Do you have pets?

I am afraid not, at least not right now. I would love to have a dog, but I have long work hours.
I used to have a black cat and a white dog, I really miss them.
I hope you will post enough pet pics to satisfy my pet needs.

We usually exchange Lolcat pics with my sister on a regular basis, she is in the same situation as me.

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Lighttower I have a quick question. Can anyone suggest a good hardware for strava? I would like to record my swims too.

i have the Garmin 910 and it works well with strava. The newer version is the 920, which does some cool things the 910 can't. For an in depth review go to dcrainmaker.com. He does great reviews on pretty much everything. I think Janyne has the 920, so maybe she can give you her experience.

DCrainmaker is awesome, thank you!

I have a 920XT but I actually use an old Garmin Swim in the pool. The Vivoactive might work but I'm not sure that it has a swim drill mode.

We have a Manatee Strava group. Let Chris or me know and we can add you.

Honestly, the Manatee Strava group is the only reason I am thinking about buying a GPS Watch. :D

Mark, I am currently using a Garmin 310xt, and before that I used a Timex Global Trainer. Both work OK in the pool, using the "in the cap" method. Garmin auto syncs with Strava using Garmin Connect. When I used the Timex, I was doing a "file dance" to get it loaded to Strava. I think someone in here uses a Polar and another uses Suunto, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

I think I will buy a 310XT, if it does not work in the pool I will get a Garmin Swim, I like the idea of having 2 cheaper watches instead of one expensive one. I hope the batteries are replaceable.
But I still need to do some research.

Good point. Lap swimming versus open water swimming.

Ann-Marie mentioned DC Rainmaker. Here's his latest post on GPS recommendations: My Winter 2015-2016 Sports Gadget Recommendations

I am a "terrible" swimmer, I will start the Masters program next week, so I will avoid open water for the foreseeable future. :D

Edited by Lighttower 2016-01-04 8:28 AM

2016-01-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Lighttower

I think I will buy a 310XT, if it does not work in the pool I will get a Garmin Swim, I like the idea of having 2 cheaper watches instead of one expensive one. I hope the batteries are replaceable. But I still need to do some research.

The Garmin Swim batteries last me about a year and were easy to replace.   I got the Swim because I had a 310 at the time and I wanted to record swims and didn't want to shell out the big bucks for a 910XT.  The 310 eventually died so I replaced it but I have continue to use the Swim in the pool.

I think that Randee uses the Swim as well.  Robin, what do you use in the pool?

2016-01-04 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning! I have not caught up - but welcome to all the newcomers! YAY!  And to those who are familiar faces around BT - yay, Laura and Dave - fellow Canadians

It is a very cold morning this morning and it is already making me not want to go swimming tonight - but i am so happy that i  am feeling better that i can actually do a workout. (i was having dental problems over the holidays) Though the antibiotics are really kicking my butt, I am so tired! 

2016-01-04 8:54 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Good morning! I have not caught up - but welcome to all the newcomers! YAY!  And to those who are familiar faces around BT - yay, Laura and Dave - fellow Canadians

It is a very cold morning this morning and it is already making me not want to go swimming tonight - but i am so happy that i  am feeling better that i can actually do a workout. (i was having dental problems over the holidays) Though the antibiotics are really kicking my butt, I am so tired! 

I'm glad that you have your dental woes more or less under control.  I get to see my dentist on Wednesday morning.  Oh joy!

2016-01-04 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

[removed b/c Janyne answered before I could post! 

Edited by amd723 2016-01-04 8:57 AM
2016-01-04 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is what I have for the roster so far.  Please feel free to correct me!

Active Manatees:

Chris, Erin, Judi, Ben, Stacey, Lisa, Kirsten/Ox, Robin K, TJ, Darren, Mary G, Ann-Marie, Jen, Karen, Adam, Tom, Dicky (love the name superfunkyfresh!), Dave, Laura/Daffodil (last initial?), Mark, Jim, Markus, Connor, moi

Needs to post bio: Kevin (microdoc), Robin (ceilidh)

MIA: Yaniti, Melanie, Mary S, Monica, Laura, Tom A, Randee, Steve

I thought I saw Mary S pop in, but I am really getting run through the wringer at work right now. Keeping up on anything is a challenge at the moment!

2016-01-04 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

2016-01-04 9:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

Now that Canada geese have taken over all of the ponds in my area, Canada appears to be intent on sharing their air with us.  It's gonna be quite cold for my morning run tomorrow (low 20s (-6C), cold by NC standards. What are you favorite cold weather running tights?

I use a pair of Saucony running pants for colder weather. The pants have felt better as tights seem to slow me down. Do have a pair of Sugoi Subzero tights to put under that for when it gets really cold though.

2016-01-04 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

On an only slightly related to triathlon note, I have had Amazon Prime fail on their two day shipping twice in the past month.  I tried the email to complain and get Prime extended a month trick and both times, they did that.

• http://amzn.to/1JT0SLs
  • Click on the Contact Us in the lower left
  • Select the order in question in Step 1
  • Select Where's My Stuff and Shipping is Late
    (ignore "no items chosen" here if order number is listed)
  • Then select Write Your Own Message (shipping late, please extend Prime
    one month)

P.S. I figure that it's slightly related to tri since I sometimes order gear from Amazon ;-)

2016-01-04 9:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'd love to be a manatee again, pppppllllleeeeeeeaaaassseeee?!?  (That was in a Roger Rabbit voice)

NAME: Melanie 
STORY: I'm 42 and currently am in a job where I sit most of the day.  I've always have been generally active in one way or another.  Currently I am an ice hockey goalie for a women's team which keeps me busy from Oct-April, but I do keep up with SBR training during hockey season. I earned my black belt in Tae Kwon Do 3 years ago, but sadly our dojo has lost a lot of members and folded, so I'm no longer active in TKD.  I like kayaking, hiking, gardening, really just being outside doing something, anything.  This will be my 6th year of triathlon, I think.
FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 fun dogs who make me smile and laugh every day
CURRENT TRAINING: My training has been a bit lax the past few months but I'm trying to get that turned around.  Sadly the lack of training has had the detrimental impact of weight gain and lost fitness, but that, too, can be gotten back on track with some effort.  Patience, grasshopper!
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I'm already signed up for a few sprint and Olympic triathlons as well as 2 half marathons.  I'll likely sprinkle some more 5Ks and 10Ks in the mix, too.  
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Get back on track with my weight and training, as it's important to keep oneself healthy.  I've got a few potential genetic diseases (diabetes, heart issues, HBP, etc) looming in my family and I want to keep them away with a healthy lifestyle.
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Um, I like to be supportive and try to keep up with inspires.  I always stay read up on the goings-on of the group, but don't always post.  

Edited to add:  anyone and everyone is invited to heckle, guilt, chide, etc. to help keep me on track.

Edited by melbo55 2016-01-04 9:15 AM
2016-01-04 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, that is cold!!  I guess winter has finally arrived on the east coast!  I can't help you on the cold weather tight suggestion - although it will be in the 40*s tomorrow morning for my run.  Woo Hoo!!

2016-01-04 9:57 AM

Master
Northern IL

NAME: Ben
STORY:Lifelong athlete. Had already been cycling and running fairly regular before starting triathlon. A friend with similar ability gave it a shot and liked it so I started up too. Have done events of all distances and ran in the 70.3 WC at Las Vegas a few years ago. Have been sticking to more short course the last couple years and looking at more single sport events.

FAMILY STATUS: Single
CURRENT TRAINING: Only cleared for some stationary equipment, eg. elliptical, recumbent bike, upright spin bike.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Working through a shattered clavicle (collarbone) and have a few months of therapy to get through. Don't know what I'll be able to do for sure or how soon I can do things.
GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Have fun
WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: As much as I like to put order to things I still like being around some chaos or unpredictability.

2016-01-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Wow, that is cold!!  I guess winter has finally arrived on the east coast!  I can't help you on the cold weather tight suggestion - although it will be in the 40*s tomorrow morning for my run.  Woo Hoo!!

Another day of winter.

2016-01-04 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by Lighttower
Honestly, the Manatee Strava group is the only reason I am thinking about buying a GPS Watch. :D

I sent it my request to Join the Strava group,
2016-01-04 10:22 AM

User image

Master

Fachmie it's winter time!  I couldn't resist.  You're welcome.  

I have a pair of MEC (Canada's REI) base layer tights that I like.  Actually, my favorite are my Running Room tights, but they are not for really cold weather.

2016-01-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

NAME: Ben

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: As much as I like to put order to things I still like being around some chaos or unpredictability.

1. Your name is BEN?!??!

2. I heard chaos and unpredictability and then an irresistible urge to show up

3. NyNy (Janyne) mentioned Pop Tarts (and she PMed me to nag me )

4. Speaking of which, I am really happy to see she is still married with one dog. Because dog-polygamy is just not OK.

Hi, I'm Yanti. I'm chaos and the Manatee cautionary tale. (If I did it, do NOT do it). I'll post a fuller bio later. I'm confused (chaos, yeah?). Living in 3 cities and having 3 jobs when I'm already crazy is not helping! (but I love it ... and Manatees)

Really excited to see the new faces here (YES WE LOVE ANNOYING QUESTIONS!!! ) and the new-Manatee old-BT faces! I remember you! Welcome!

2016-01-04 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

2016-01-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by Lighttower Honestly, the Manatee Strava group is the only reason I am thinking about buying a GPS Watch. :D
I sent it my request to Join the Strava group,

You're in!

2016-01-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

My fave are my CW-X (I even received a new pair for Christmas). They are supportive for my ITBS and warm. win-win!

I have a pair of CW-X insulators that I like pretty well.  I thought I'd ask around before obtaining a second pair.  Two pair of heavier weight tights/pants plus laundry should be ok.  So far we have a vote for CW-X tights and one for Brooks pants.

2016-01-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by fortissimo I'm playing again as well! NAME: I'm Robin (we have two Robins this year!) STORY: I'm a boring middle school band and orchestra teacher. I was a swimmer and skier in my younger years. I burned out on swimming after high school and refused to get in the pool on my second day of college swimming. For the next 10 years the only time I got in the pool was to train lifeguards or teach swimming lessons. After I quit my summer job at the waterpark I only got in a pool to cool off when I was on vacation in warmer locations. I decided to start swimming a bit again when Lifetime Fitness opened a club a few miles from our house. It was there I did my first indoor tri and was instantly hooked. I don't ski anymore because of what my coach and I refer to as "The Limb", aka my left foot and ankle that didn't heal properly after a surgery in 2010. I'm still putting off surgery on The Limb again because I don't want to be in a cast for 6 months even again. FAMILY STATUS: I have an amazing Sherpa, I mean husband, who puts with all of my nonsense. He should really do dualthons as he does all the outside bike rides with me and he's done a few marathons and half marys. Instead he just trains with me and cleans the house. We have four 4 kids: a golden receiver (he retrieves nothing, only catches and runs) who is 8 but acts like he's still a puppy; a real golden who lives up to the name of Dug from the movie Up, including the cone of shame; a cat who eats more than I do; and finally, a Siamese who sits on my aero bars and yells at me if I'm slacking. CURRENT TRAINING: Right I'm only training about 9-11 hours a week. As always it's heavy on the swim and light on the running. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Right now the only race I'm doing for sure is the Boulder 70.3 on June 11. Probably will do the Colfax Half Marathon again in May, depending on how The Limb behaves this year. I'm looking at a few Sprints and Olympic distances sprinkled throughout the summer as well. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to go under 6 hours this year in Boulder. I also want to go under 2 hours in the Colfax Half. I'm looking at this season as maintenance season as I want to go back to the full Ironman next year. Basically, I'm lacking focus right now because I really want to do the Boulder IM again this year but my coach and my husband would strangle me if I signed up for it. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Why would I make a good manatee? Why because of my fur kids and their cute pictures!

How did I not know this about you?! I grew up in the band/drum corp scene in Denver. I marched high school and Blue Nights with Kathy (Meyer) Azari who is now teaching up in Greeley. So I still have my FB filled with junior high band-ish stuff.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 900 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.