BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-02-13 5:50 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by marcag 6x4' @105% with 45s rest + an extra 1.5m@105% to get a nice round 30min number http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4UBMPHEVBAI46KTTXWSLP... these workouts are a mind game. At the 3rd I was sure I wouldn't make it through. At the end I figured I was good for another 2. Reality is probably good for 1 more. This is the workout IMO that tests if your CP is somewhat accurate. Do it in aero and enjoy

Yeah, do it -- you can thank Marc later

Ummm...no, and definitely not in aero.

Ouch....think I will pass on that type of self abuse.  Makes me think of the scene from Animal House where the pledge is getting paddled: "Thank your sir may I have another?"

Heading out for a few miles before a group ride then probably a short run off the bike.  It was beautiful here yesterday...sunny and low 70s.  A little cooler today but not bad. Will catch up later. 

2016-02-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

New user
New Hampshire
20 minute FTP test this a.m.. Picked up 1 watt. Oh well, at least it wasn't a loss. Watching the US Olympic marathon trials. Blows me away how fast these guys and girls run.
2016-02-13 7:41 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-saw the new Sram etap group at my LBS today.  Very cool.  It was on a display rather than installed on a bike but still pretty cool to click the shifters and see the derailleurs move from across the shop.  Not sure what the price point is but in terms of cool factor it is way up there.

Have a pretty good day set up tomorrow.  The tri team I am on has been working on a project to raise money to buy bikes for some local schools.  Interested students that improve their grades etc. will have access to the bikes to use in an after school program and also to participate in 2 local kids duathlons. Tomorrow we are meeting at the LBS, which is a major sponsor for our team, to build up the bikes.  Plan is to do a group ride after that and then lunch with a few beers. Should be fun to hang out with the guys and do something for a good cause. 

2016-02-14 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I will try to get caught up. Been off for a few days since tearing the tendon at the bottom of the calf. Not too serious, just a grade 1. I did it Tuesday right at the end of a five mile run. Off the bike until Friday and no running for a few weeks.

All I can do is swim, open turns only, one leg push off. So I did an easy warm up and then 100 free, 100 pull (x12) on five seconds rest. I originally set out to do just 10 but was feeling pretty good so I did two more. I should have quit at 10.

I am really at a loss on the running. It was going well. Running five days a week, 20 to 50 minutes (plus warm up and cool down). It was getting easier. I hurt the leg just running. No sprinting, no large incline (2%), no huge distance, no misstep...just running. I will hit it again when I get the ok from my Orthopedist but not sure how to proceed.

Should I just chalk this one up to happens or change the plan? Any words of wisdom?

Stuart
2016-02-15 7:05 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuartap

I will try to get caught up. Been off for a few days since tearing the tendon at the bottom of the calf. Not too serious, just a grade 1. I did it Tuesday right at the end of a five mile run. Off the bike until Friday and no running for a few weeks.

All I can do is swim, open turns only, one leg push off. So I did an easy warm up and then 100 free, 100 pull (x12) on five seconds rest. I originally set out to do just 10 but was feeling pretty good so I did two more. I should have quit at 10.

I am really at a loss on the running. It was going well. Running five days a week, 20 to 50 minutes (plus warm up and cool down). It was getting easier. I hurt the leg just running. No sprinting, no large incline (2%), no huge distance, no misstep...just running. I will hit it again when I get the ok from my Orthopedist but not sure how to proceed.

Should I just chalk this one up to happens or change the plan? Any words of wisdom?

Stuart

Sorry to hear that Stuart.
Bottom of calf ? Did he mention if it was the achilles ?
Any other symptoms ? Is it worst in the morning ?

2016-02-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Good weekend of road riding...with some road bikes off road included as well.  Using today's holiday to do some mountain biking as a horrible way of active recovery.  

2016-02-15 8:54 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Here's a question about managing TSS.

I'm just finishing the base phase of my bike training, using Trainerroad's Sweet Spot Base (12 weeks). I'm looking at using their Olympic Tri Build plan for the next phase, mainly for two reasons: 1, my "A" races this year are Olympic distance; 2, the Sustained Power Build doesn't look as feasible to me as even at low volume it's got plenty of 2 hour+ rides and asks for 4 rides a week, whereas the mid-volume Oly plan keeps it at 3 rides a week with a max ride length of 1.5 hours. From a scheduling standpoint it's just much realistic for me.

However, I'm looking at TSS over the plan progression, and notice that TSS gradually increases over time (makes perfect sense). If I moved from Sweet Spot Base to Sustained Power Build, I'd start the build phase at a higher TSS than I finished the base phase with, and increase from there. Likewise, if I moved from Olympic Tri Base to Olympic Tri Build, the build phase would also increase TSS.

However, the Tri plans in general have a lower TSS (which also makes sense since it would be taking into account your swim and run training, whereas the non-tri plans are presumably designed to be bike-only focused). If I switch to the Olympic Tri Build, the TSS drops quite a bit, so in a sense I'd be moving backwards. It wouldn't be until Week 5 of the Oly Tri Build that I'd achieve a higher TSS than I had in Week 11 of my Base. By the end of the Build both plans are pretty even, but I'm wondering if I'm short-changing my training by dropping back my TSS at the beginning of this phase.

Should I just follow the Oly Build plan as is, or should I increase the TSS so that I pick up where I left off in the Base phase? Most of the prescribed workouts have a +1, +2 etc. option which would increase the TSS, though this option isn't available for all of them, so some creativity may be required. The other challenge here is that I'd finish my build at a higher TSS than prescribed, and thus would face the same problem when I enter my Specialty phase. And since my TSS is going to be higher than it's "supposed" to be, could this lead to overtraining problems, keeping in mind that the Tri plans are designed to work as part of an overall SBR training plan?

Thoughts on this?
2016-02-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Here's a question about managing TSS.

I'm just finishing the base phase of my bike training, using Trainerroad's Sweet Spot Base (12 weeks). I'm looking at using their Olympic Tri Build plan for the next phase, mainly for two reasons: 1, my "A" races this year are Olympic distance; 2, the Sustained Power Build doesn't look as feasible to me as even at low volume it's got plenty of 2 hour+ rides and asks for 4 rides a week, whereas the mid-volume Oly plan keeps it at 3 rides a week with a max ride length of 1.5 hours. From a scheduling standpoint it's just much realistic for me.

However, I'm looking at TSS over the plan progression, and notice that TSS gradually increases over time (makes perfect sense). If I moved from Sweet Spot Base to Sustained Power Build, I'd start the build phase at a higher TSS than I finished the base phase with, and increase from there. Likewise, if I moved from Olympic Tri Base to Olympic Tri Build, the build phase would also increase TSS.

However, the Tri plans in general have a lower TSS (which also makes sense since it would be taking into account your swim and run training, whereas the non-tri plans are presumably designed to be bike-only focused). If I switch to the Olympic Tri Build, the TSS drops quite a bit, so in a sense I'd be moving backwards. It wouldn't be until Week 5 of the Oly Tri Build that I'd achieve a higher TSS than I had in Week 11 of my Base. By the end of the Build both plans are pretty even, but I'm wondering if I'm short-changing my training by dropping back my TSS at the beginning of this phase.

Should I just follow the Oly Build plan as is, or should I increase the TSS so that I pick up where I left off in the Base phase? Most of the prescribed workouts have a +1, +2 etc. option which would increase the TSS, though this option isn't available for all of them, so some creativity may be required. The other challenge here is that I'd finish my build at a higher TSS than prescribed, and thus would face the same problem when I enter my Specialty phase. And since my TSS is going to be higher than it's "supposed" to be, could this lead to overtraining problems, keeping in mind that the Tri plans are designed to work as part of an overall SBR training plan?

Thoughts on this?

How does running fit into this ?
Do you plan to increase your running as you build to your race ?
How much weekly TSS are we talking about ?

I personally look at my overall CTL (S,B&R) which of course is made up of TSS. I do plan it out up to race day and try to maximize it

I do have targets for each to make sure I am properly balanced. Those targets are based on historical results, reasonable ramp rates and reasonable time budgets.
2016-02-15 10:35 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Here's a question about managing TSS. I'm just finishing the base phase of my bike training, using Trainerroad's Sweet Spot Base (12 weeks). I'm looking at using their Olympic Tri Build plan for the next phase, mainly for two reasons: 1, my "A" races this year are Olympic distance; 2, the Sustained Power Build doesn't look as feasible to me as even at low volume it's got plenty of 2 hour+ rides and asks for 4 rides a week, whereas the mid-volume Oly plan keeps it at 3 rides a week with a max ride length of 1.5 hours. From a scheduling standpoint it's just much realistic for me. However, I'm looking at TSS over the plan progression, and notice that TSS gradually increases over time (makes perfect sense). If I moved from Sweet Spot Base to Sustained Power Build, I'd start the build phase at a higher TSS than I finished the base phase with, and increase from there. Likewise, if I moved from Olympic Tri Base to Olympic Tri Build, the build phase would also increase TSS. However, the Tri plans in general have a lower TSS (which also makes sense since it would be taking into account your swim and run training, whereas the non-tri plans are presumably designed to be bike-only focused). If I switch to the Olympic Tri Build, the TSS drops quite a bit, so in a sense I'd be moving backwards. It wouldn't be until Week 5 of the Oly Tri Build that I'd achieve a higher TSS than I had in Week 11 of my Base. By the end of the Build both plans are pretty even, but I'm wondering if I'm short-changing my training by dropping back my TSS at the beginning of this phase. Should I just follow the Oly Build plan as is, or should I increase the TSS so that I pick up where I left off in the Base phase? Most of the prescribed workouts have a +1, +2 etc. option which would increase the TSS, though this option isn't available for all of them, so some creativity may be required. The other challenge here is that I'd finish my build at a higher TSS than prescribed, and thus would face the same problem when I enter my Specialty phase. And since my TSS is going to be higher than it's "supposed" to be, could this lead to overtraining problems, keeping in mind that the Tri plans are designed to work as part of an overall SBR training plan? Thoughts on this?
How does running fit into this ? Do you plan to increase your running as you build to your race ? How much weekly TSS are we talking about ? I personally look at my overall CTL (S,B&R) which of course is made up of TSS. I do plan it out up to race day and try to maximize it I do have targets for each to make sure I am properly balanced. Those targets are based on historical results, reasonable ramp rates and reasonable time budgets.

Do you have access to a program that calculates your TSS for swim. bike and run?  I use Raceday and it does that.  Also shows positive and negative performance trends as well as predicted performance on a given date based on data you input.  I think it is a one time cost of around $100.  There may be other programs that do this as well that are either free or lower cost.

2016-02-15 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Stuart

Yes at the bottom of the calf but not the Achilles. It was in the Gastrocnemius, Soleus area. No symptoms until it happened. Now it is feeling better with the stretching he has me doing along with a few exercises plus the swimming. I don't notice anything different in the morning. If anything, late in the day it seems a bit more tender but I think that is just fatigue.

I have been spending more time in the pool although open turns in a Masters swim class is quite humbling. That along with the fact that I am the oldest one in the class by a decade or more. Still managed to get through the workout. 100 free x 5, 50 free x 16, 400 free x 4, 200 kick plus warm up and cool down.

Now to walk the dogs.
2016-02-15 11:11 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
@Randy: In the midst of weighing options in terms of performance management - TrainingPeaks, Golden Cheetah, etc. will add Raceday to the list of considerations. At this point in the season I've only been using the TSS tracking that Trainerroad does, but as I enter my Build phase (next week) I'd like to have a better overall picture of things.

@Marc: Yes, my running TSS will also increase over the course of my build and race specific phases (increased volume and the addition of speedwork and tempo runs). As said above, I'm not currently tracking TSS for the other sports but plan to as I enter the next phase. In terms of TSS score, last week was 274 (again, just bike) and it would get up to anywhere from 315-335 in the build phase depending on how I manage that. I can't currently comment on what my running and swimming TSS would look like as I've made no attempt to track that thusfar.

2016-02-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Here's a question about managing TSS. I'm just finishing the base phase of my bike training, using Trainerroad's Sweet Spot Base (12 weeks). I'm looking at using their Olympic Tri Build plan for the next phase, mainly for two reasons: 1, my "A" races this year are Olympic distance; 2, the Sustained Power Build doesn't look as feasible to me as even at low volume it's got plenty of 2 hour+ rides and asks for 4 rides a week, whereas the mid-volume Oly plan keeps it at 3 rides a week with a max ride length of 1.5 hours. From a scheduling standpoint it's just much realistic for me. However, I'm looking at TSS over the plan progression, and notice that TSS gradually increases over time (makes perfect sense). If I moved from Sweet Spot Base to Sustained Power Build, I'd start the build phase at a higher TSS than I finished the base phase with, and increase from there. Likewise, if I moved from Olympic Tri Base to Olympic Tri Build, the build phase would also increase TSS. However, the Tri plans in general have a lower TSS (which also makes sense since it would be taking into account your swim and run training, whereas the non-tri plans are presumably designed to be bike-only focused). If I switch to the Olympic Tri Build, the TSS drops quite a bit, so in a sense I'd be moving backwards. It wouldn't be until Week 5 of the Oly Tri Build that I'd achieve a higher TSS than I had in Week 11 of my Base. By the end of the Build both plans are pretty even, but I'm wondering if I'm short-changing my training by dropping back my TSS at the beginning of this phase. Should I just follow the Oly Build plan as is, or should I increase the TSS so that I pick up where I left off in the Base phase? Most of the prescribed workouts have a +1, +2 etc. option which would increase the TSS, though this option isn't available for all of them, so some creativity may be required. The other challenge here is that I'd finish my build at a higher TSS than prescribed, and thus would face the same problem when I enter my Specialty phase. And since my TSS is going to be higher than it's "supposed" to be, could this lead to overtraining problems, keeping in mind that the Tri plans are designed to work as part of an overall SBR training plan? Thoughts on this?
How does running fit into this ? Do you plan to increase your running as you build to your race ? How much weekly TSS are we talking about ? I personally look at my overall CTL (S,B&R) which of course is made up of TSS. I do plan it out up to race day and try to maximize it I do have targets for each to make sure I am properly balanced. Those targets are based on historical results, reasonable ramp rates and reasonable time budgets.

Do you have access to a program that calculates your TSS for swim. bike and run?  I use Raceday and it does that.  Also shows positive and negative performance trends as well as predicted performance on a given date based on data you input.  I think it is a one time cost of around $100.  There may be other programs that do this as well that are either free or lower cost.

Yes. Trainingpeaks does this as well. I have Raceday, TP and WKO. All 3 do s,b &r TSS/CTL.

What all 3 do very poorly in planning, ie, what will your CTL be in 3 months if you do X.

Running and swimming are much easier to calculate. For example TSS for running comes out to about 6TSS points per km. So if I am running 50km per week, I get about 300 TSS points. For swimming I simply put 60TSS points for a 1hr session and 90 for 1.5hrs.

I personally start to break down and 1100 TSS per week so I will do 2 weeks like that and recover. But this is a personal things. As well I break down when I go over 65km of running on too many weeks. This is where you have to find that balance.

So coming back to your original question, I would look at the bigger picture, figure out where I want to be over time, define the type of trainig you want to do in periods during the cycle and the micro manage the load with the TSS of the workouts.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-15 11:27 AM
2016-02-15 11:45 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Yes. Trainingpeaks does this as well. I have Raceday, TP and WKO. All 3 do s,b &r TSS/CTL.

What all 3 do very poorly in planning, ie, what will your CTL be in 3 months if you do X.

Running and swimming are much easier to calculate. For example TSS for running comes out to about 6TSS points per km. So if I am running 50km per week, I get about 300 TSS points. For swimming I simply put 60TSS points for a 1hr session and 90 for 1.5hrs.

I personally start to break down and 1100 TSS per week so I will do 2 weeks like that and recover. But this is a personal things. As well I break down when I go over 65km of running on too many weeks. This is where you have to find that balance.

So coming back to your original question, I would look at the bigger picture, figure out where I want to be over time, define the type of trainig you want to do in periods during the cycle and the micro manage the load with the TSS of the workouts.

I don't see myself getting anywhere near 1000 TSS/week - based on what you've said my swimming would max out around 180/wk, running might get to around 240/wk (not sure, I've seen good results in the speed I've been able to run @ z2 over this base phase, so don't exactly know how that might translate into how much more outdoor mileage I can do in a given period of time. Also hoping my overall run fitness and strengthwork allow me to run more without injury, which was tricky last year) and if I hit, for example 360/wk for the bike that still gives me an overall TSS under 800. Now I'm not the athlete you are Marc, so maybe this is getting to the upper end of what I can tolerate, I don't really know.

Thanks for the input - I'm getting the impression that in the long run it's not going to make a huge difference either way as long as I'm planning everything out appropriately. Still not sure whether dropping my TSS back a month is a problem or not. At this point I'm inclined to do the +1 thing to the Trainerroad workouts so I don't move backwards in terms of TSS, but perhaps increase the TSS more gradually so by the end of it I'm roughly where the plan would have ended anyways.
2016-02-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

I don't see myself getting anywhere near 1000 TSS/week - based on what you've said my swimming would max out around 180/wk, running might get to around 240/wk (not sure, I've seen good results in the speed I've been able to run @ z2 over this base phase, so don't exactly know how that might translate into how much more outdoor mileage I can do in a given period of time. Also hoping my overall run fitness and strengthwork allow me to run more without injury, which was tricky last year) and if I hit, for example 360/wk for the bike that still gives me an overall TSS under 800. Now I'm not the athlete you are Marc, so maybe this is getting to the upper end of what I can tolerate, I don't really know.

Thanks for the input - I'm getting the impression that in the long run it's not going to make a huge difference either way as long as I'm planning everything out appropriately. Still not sure whether dropping my TSS back a month is a problem or not. At this point I'm inclined to do the +1 thing to the Trainerroad workouts so I don't move backwards in terms of TSS, but perhaps increase the TSS more gradually so by the end of it I'm roughly where the plan would have ended anyways.

And you don't necessarily need 1000TSS. You just need to do the most your family and job can take, your body can sustain, grow it over time and find the right mix of intensity for where you are. Right now for example I am doing about 700 TSS per week and I know I am improving and I could probably do really well at Oly distance. But for me, and this is very personal, on the HIM distance I do need that bigger load. But I am also at the limit of this older body. Jordan over on ST was closer to 1800 per week IIRC. He showed me his PMC at one point. It was crazy.

Remember that dropping your TSS today is forgotten in 50 days so I would not sweat it. Better to slowly grow it than overshoot and hurt or burn yourself out.

2016-02-15 12:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Although I use Raceday I am not a huge fan.  There are some things I like...like calculating TSS but that can be done other ways as pointed out by Marc.  I would say over the past 5-6 weeks my weekly TSS has been in the 700-850 range...pretty much all relatively easy except for some short intensity on the bike.  That will typically break out as 125-200 swim; 250-325 run and 325-450 bike.  Last week was on the high end for the bike and lower end for the run...hard for me to do big bike and run weeks at the same time......too old and creaky.  

2016-02-15 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
these are my PMCs for the builds up to my next race

In yellow is the plan. In red is the actual. I overlay previous years

If you notice on the run, the 2012, 2013 and planned target are at the same point, which is where I have had success in the past. The 2015 is much lower and where I had less success.

Edited by marcag 2016-02-15 1:32 PM

(Screenshot 2016-02-15 14.27.39.png)

(Screenshot 2016-02-15 14.29.06.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2016-02-15 14.27.39.png (66KB - 6 downloads)
Screenshot 2016-02-15 14.29.06.png (55KB - 4 downloads)

2016-02-15 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Stuart

Yes at the bottom of the calf but not the Achilles. It was in the Gastrocnemius, Soleus area. No symptoms until it happened. Now it is feeling better with the stretching he has me doing along with a few exercises plus the swimming. I don't notice anything different in the morning. If anything, late in the day it seems a bit more tender but I think that is just fatigue.

I have been spending more time in the pool although open turns in a Masters swim class is quite humbling. That along with the fact that I am the oldest one in the class by a decade or more. Still managed to get through the workout. 100 free x 5, 50 free x 16, 400 free x 4, 200 kick plus warm up and cool down.

Now to walk the dogs.

I injured myself there once. It was more of a fluke than overuse because it was not during crazy miles time.

That being said, how quickly did you ramp up mileage ? One possibility would be to aqua jog during rehabilitation and do one or two sessions a week to supplement your run until you build up a bigger base
2016-02-15 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Marc I have an appointment next week with a trainer to show me the proper technique and some drills for aqua jogging. I ride with him one day a week and he offered to get me started on the right foot (no pun intended).

I am enjoying the extra time in the pool though, despite the open turns only restrictions.

I was afraid with the limited activity I might put a little weight back on but so far I am ok. I still have five pounds to drop before my half. I want to get there no later than end March so I have six weeks to train without thinking about weight loss.
2016-02-15 7:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-the most consistent problem I have had over the past few years has been calf strains....maybe tears.   Seems they can pop up anytime.  I think you have been careful in increasing your run volume.  Hard to say what may have caused it.  May have been a combination of things?  Give it plenty of time.  I have come back too quickly and been back at square one.

2016-02-15 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Stuart-the most consistent problem I have had over the past few years has been calf strains....maybe tears.   Seems they can pop up anytime.  I think you have been careful in increasing your run volume.  Hard to say what may have caused it.  May have been a combination of things?  Give it plenty of time.  I have come back too quickly and been back at square one.

Randy I have been swimming which seems to be going fine with no ill effects. Doc says I can get back on the bike this Friday (10 days post injury) if I stay in the saddle, no standing, but off running for 3-4 weeks. How does that time line line up with what you have experienced?

2016-02-16 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Randy I have been swimming which seems to be going fine with no ill effects. Doc says I can get back on the bike this Friday (10 days post injury) if I stay in the saddle, no standing, but off running for 3-4 weeks. How does that time line line up with what you have experienced?

From someone who dealt with a running injury last year and was able to come back fairly strong, let me strongly suggest aquajogging!!  And more riding

Here's a great plan: http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm (I repeated weeks 7 and 8 quite a few times, as I was out for longer than nine weeks and was also training for a 70.3)

I'll be honest, I do think you may have ramped up your running a bit fast.  IIRC, you were running 3x a week and jumped right into running 5-6x a week right away.  Even keeping the runs easy and decreasing the grade at which you were running, I remember thinking it seemed aggressive (at least for me).  I tend to defer to others when it comes to running knowledge, but as someone who's dealt with a running injury recently and is not a terribly accomplished runner, I remember thinking your progression was a bit on the fast side.  Of course, the injury may have been (somewhat) independent of it, given that it sounded more acute than chronic, but I'd caution you when you come back to reconsider the plan.  Something like 5x a week at 20 minutes each would be better than 5x a week ranging from 20 - 60 minutes each, imo.

X

2016-02-16 12:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

From someone who dealt with a running injury last year and was able to come back fairly strong, let me strongly suggest aquajogging!!  And more riding

Here's a great plan: http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm (I repeated weeks 7 and 8 quite a few times, as I was out for longer than nine weeks and was also training for a 70.3)

I'll be honest, I do think you may have ramped up your running a bit fast.  IIRC, you were running 3x a week and jumped right into running 5-6x a week right away.  Even keeping the runs easy and decreasing the grade at which you were running, I remember thinking it seemed aggressive (at least for me).  I tend to defer to others when it comes to running knowledge, but as someone who's dealt with a running injury recently and is not a terribly accomplished runner, I remember thinking your progression was a bit on the fast side.  Of course, the injury may have been (somewhat) independent of it, given that it sounded more acute than chronic, but I'd caution you when you come back to reconsider the plan.  Something like 5x a week at 20 minutes each would be better than 5x a week ranging from 20 - 60 minutes each, imo.

X

Nicole is that plan an all aqua jog plan? I am the last one to say what is right or wrong when it comes to running. I have never been any good at it. If aqua jogging a few days a week and running a few days a week can get me through without injury, I am happy to try it. Staying injury free in priority one at this time.

Thanks,
2016-02-16 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

It's all aquajogging until Week 9.  Do you have an aquajogging belt?  If not, you should get one. Once I started running again, I started with a run/walk plan with aquajogging on alternating days.  And by run/walk plan, I mean super short intervals with super short total run duration (think 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk for a total of 5 minutes of running).  It built up over a few weeks, but I didn't do my first continuous run (of 20 minutes) for about three weeks.   

2016-02-16 1:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

It's all aquajogging until Week 9.  Do you have an aquajogging belt?  If not, you should get one. Once I started running again, I started with a run/walk plan with aquajogging on alternating days.  And by run/walk plan, I mean super short intervals with super short total run duration (think 30 seconds run, 30 seconds walk for a total of 5 minutes of running).  It built up over a few weeks, but I didn't do my first continuous run (of 20 minutes) for about three weeks.   

I don't have one but the J where I work out (and work) has them. After your injury did you start at week 1 with the plan or someplace else?

Thanks again,
2016-02-16 1:33 PM

User image

wow you guys take the tracking of effort to another level.

I will try and keep track of my TSS and see when I hit numbers that make me feel like I am burning out.

over the weekend kept resting and got back at it. did a FTP test with the new stages PM. was ok, wanted to have a higher number but that's what it is.

come Tuesday I am back at it, biked this morning (trainer road Fuji, 10x20 sec sprints) felt pretty good, going to hit the pool on the way home after work.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55838 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.