BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-03-28 6:37 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed
Originally posted by Jason N

RR Here

Marc, honestly I just don't like riding that bike at all.  I probably need a completely new fit, and maybe even a different bike in order for me to not only be comfortable on it, but faster.  With only 3 flat TTs each year on our schedule, it's just not worth my time, money, or effort to find a better solution.  

Jason, I did not forget you, I was away 2 days and that threw me off

You are close to .26.
The wind is a little complex to calculate but it's going to end up close to that. I'll let you know when I get more accurate.

2016-03-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster So how does everyone feel about their training now that North American race season is almost upon us?

First race, a sprint is 4/9...a week from Saturday.  I would give my bike an A-..  Been riding alot with some hard rides and longer rides mixed in.  Would go with an "A" but I have not been out on my TT bike very much so concerned that there may be a a little loss of power on the TT bike at the race.  Fortunately, with it being a sprint comfort should not be an issue.  I am really enjoying cycling and may do a century this Saturday with some buddies.  Probably not the best idea a week out from a race as I suspect we will push the pace at times. 

Run: B or B-; Calf issues that popped up in mid to late Feb. reduced my mileage for March and I have done little intensity.

Swim: C; Just can't seem to get motivated to swim. Should not be a huge issue in sprint races but I suspect I will be off by 30 seconds or so from previous times in the first race.  Right now I am just trying to get race ready....starting every workout with jumping in and swimming 300-500 straight at race effort or a little less to get that feeling of HR jumping up then settling in.  Mostly my swim program at this point is rationalizing that the swim isn't that long in any of my early season races so I don't need to work on it.  BS I know but that's what I am going with. 

2016-03-28 10:50 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Oakville

Hello all.  I just got back from a week in Cuba with the family and am catching up on everyone's progress while I was away.

I see a few race reports which is great motivation to get back into my training routine.

Other than a daily 20 minute swim in the ocean and one 5 km run, it was a totally non-SBR relaxing week.

Managed to gain close to 5 pounds though (probably due to having dessert with every meal) so there is extra motivation to get down to my race weight in the next few months.

My first tri is in early June but am looking at a few 5 km or 10 km races in April and May to see where my running fitness is at.

Plan to start some speed work this week.

I've never really done any structured speed work and so any thoughts from the group would be appreciated.

For the first few sessions I was planning something like 6 x 400 m at 5 km race pace based on my best time from last year and see how that feels.

For those that do speed work, any particular interval and pace that you found to be effective?

2016-03-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

I have been following the Trainerroad Full Distance Mid-Volume. (wow that's a mouthful)

Its been going ok, I guess haven't been able to swim as much as I wanted, but been able to get most if not all the bike and run days in. However it seems like its not close to enough training. Maybe its the fear of doing a full that has me inside my own head.

But last week I was able to ride 3.5hrs on the trainer (~65% FTP and then run afterwards for a bit) and then next day ran 20km (once again slow pace)
so I know that I am improving and there still is 20 weeks until IMMT but man am I scared.

Is that common for people and if so how does everyone deal with it.

Another random note, I was starting to get a bit of knee pain from longer bike rides, went back to my bike shop to have them look at it, he adjusted the fit (I changed the saddle and then tried adjusting things on my own and made it worse) but after that 15-20min fix it feels fine. So support your local bike shop if I ordered everything online I wouldn't of been able to just stop by and have him look at it, yes I might of been able to save some money going online for everything but sometimes service is worth paying extra. (just wanted to say that)

Thanks,
2016-03-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by marcag I did a write up of the Velodrome with Lionel on FB http://tinyurl.com/gr2ge9pWe can openly discuss here. Lionel was very open to sharing his data

Marc - very cool!  I love reading these behind the scenes stories of professional triathletes, particular when they are going through the same learning curve as the rest of us AGers.

I read on Lionel's blog that he plans to move away from what he called "training in the middle" and will be returning to more lactate threshold and VO2 max efforts, similar to how he trained in 2014 where he predominantly raced 70.3s.

I did notice that his 70.3 run times in the latter part of 2015 dropped to around 1:15, as compared to 2014 where he was consistently hitting around 1:10. 

If he can get his run fitness to the level it was in 2014, with his improvements on the bike and his new fit he is going to be a real serious threat this year.

2016-03-28 7:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

RR Here

Marc, honestly I just don't like riding that bike at all.  I probably need a completely new fit, and maybe even a different bike in order for me to not only be comfortable on it, but faster.  With only 3 flat TTs each year on our schedule, it's just not worth my time, money, or effort to find a better solution.  

Jason, I did not forget you, I was away 2 days and that threw me off You are close to .26. The wind is a little complex to calculate but it's going to end up close to that. I'll let you know when I get more accurate.

Sounds about right.  Thanks

2016-03-29 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by wannabefaster Today was my first "ride" (trainer session) on the bike with Nicole's 155 cranks installed and I wanted to give an update: they are awesome! Nicole, thanks for the cranks. Marc, thanks for encouraging me to give them a try.

That's great!  I'm really glad to hear they worked out for you and you're liking them!

I went out to Texas Hill Country for a few days over the weekend -- got in some really nice riding (honestly, I'd pretty much forgotten how much fun it can be to ride outside....I get really sucked into riding the trainer, plus outside in Houston is just not interesting, that I forget how much fun it can be!) and some running.  

I have a 5k in April and a 40k TT in June.  I think I'm more ready for the 40k TT than I am the 5k....heh!  No triathlons on the schedule until September.  As always, love the bike, struggle with running, and have a love/hate relationship with swimming.  Was listening to a podcast on my drive home yesterday and the pro who was being interviewed noted that he swims 30k - 40k per week....so basically my monthly swim volume every week!

2016-03-30 3:02 PM

User image

Hey Marc,

Good stuff on the chart showing power to cda.

Do you know if there is a rough estimate on how much cda can be impacted by drafting someone within 12 inches?  I'm playing around with BBS and trying to see what kind of strategy I can implement on a couple of long uphill road races I have.  

So if for example I have a road climbing cda of say .375, and I'm following someone who is roughly the same size as me, how is that reducing my cda, then in turn I can figure out how many watts I am saving.  It would help in my decision making on choosing who to follow in order not to blow up at the end, and if I should worry about anyone following me for extended periods of time.  Also I can see how those watt or time savings change as grades increase or decrease and can further make decisions on when it's appropriate to follow and when it's not.

I know it's not an exact science with a lot of assumptions...but just looking for a ball park.  Are we talking about going from .36 to say .260?  I was playing around with my 40k, and if I assume my cda was .354 (road position, round tube bike, shallow wheels), my time would have been about 1;04:26 at 284 watts.  If I reduced my cda to .260, and watts down to 219 (23% less), then I come out with roughly the same time.  219 seems about right for what I would expect to put out drafting someone who was pushing 284.  So is that a pretty good guess?

2016-03-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
 Are we talking about going from .36 to say .260?

I would say easily.

2016-03-30 4:10 PM

User image

Cool. 

Looks as though I've got some good info to go on now.  I have a race on Kauai that's about 16 miles and 4500 gain, but the steep stuff is in the first half, then more rolling uphill the second half.  BBS tells me that if I can put out maybe 3% more watts that I would if I TT'd it for the first 40 minutes, and it meant I was in a pack for the second half, I could put out 9% less watts on the second half  while in the draft and still finish with a faster time than if I did it like a solo TT.

For Haleakala where the first half isn't as steep, it seems like the best plan is to try and find a pack where I can save a 5-6 watts in the draft early, then solo the second half with a few more watts and come out faster.  BBS also tells me that it is NOT worth it to put in a few extra watts early to hold onto a draft pack and put out less watts later when it gets steeper and I'll likely be on my own.  A lot of people take this approach and usually doesn't end well for them.  Many times I have let the main pack go early and wondered if those guys were saving enough watts to come out ahead at the end...but most times I end up catching the guys near my ability at the top because they've blown.

2016-03-31 8:22 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Scott71

My first tri is in early June but am looking at a few 5 km or 10 km races in April and May to see where my running fitness is at.

Plan to start some speed work this week.

I've never really done any structured speed work and so any thoughts from the group would be appreciated.

For the first few sessions I was planning something like 6 x 400 m at 5 km race pace based on my best time from last year and see how that feels.

For those that do speed work, any particular interval and pace that you found to be effective?

Speedwork.....

The real secret to faster running is consistency. Running is the only one of the three sports where you can do a lot of slow volume and get faster on race day (maybe this would work for cycling too but the volume would be immense....). About 6-7 years ago I decided to see if I could go a whole year where I ran at least 100 miles every month. Well, I achieved that and just kept it going....for almost five years. It really helped me to develop endurance and speed. It really is only 25 miles per week which isn't that much but it does require consistency, week after week, month after month. Since missing my 100 mile mark about 18 months ago?, I have subsequently missed several months. It feels like I need to start up the streak again.

As far as speedwork. Gains can be made from something as simple as adding 6-10 x 30 seconds, hard (5k+) pace, during any run. I often will do hard efforts like this during my easy runs. It adds very little training stress but it forces you to work on run form, economy, and then recovery on the fly.

I think your 6 x 400 plan with 200-400 super easy recovery is a good plan. You can also add in 4-10 hard hill repeats in the middle of your workout. The interval workout that keeps appearing on my schedule: 10-20 minutes easy warm up, 2 x 1/8 mile hard on 1/8 easy, 2 x 1/4 mile hard on 1/4 mile easy, 4-8 x 1/2 mile hard on 1/4 mile super easy. I like it. It is daunting but doable.

Another interval that I am fond of is mile repeats. Anywhere from 2-8 (depending where you are in your fitness and what you are training for) mile repeats at 5k(ish) pace on 1/4 to 1/2 mile easy recovery. If I am only doing a couple I might do a full mile of easy recovery so I can really hit the miles at goal pace.

Intervals/speedwork is really only limited by your imagination. Anywhere from 1/8 of a mile up to 3 mile repeats are all good. I would recommend that you don't push to exhaustion. Stop before your form falls apart. Don't go out and push a bunch of fast repeats and then be too sore to train effectively the next day. Don't hurt yourself!

Anyone else have thoughts about running intervals?

2016-03-31 10:53 AM

User image

Oakville

Thank you Jason!  Timely post as I plan to do a bit of speedwork tonight.

I had PBs in 5 km and 10 km in 2014 and looking back at my training I did very minimal interval training but both races were during HM training where my run volume was higher. 

I'm currently only running around 15 to 20 miles per week but would like to get to around 25 miles or so with 3 to 4 runs broken down as follows - 1 long run, 1 hills (treadmill simulation) and 1 speed work.  If I can fit in the 4th run, it would simply be to boost volume at slow steady pace.

I'm racing quite a few Sprints this summer and so wanted to give speedwork at try, but will be very cautious about injuries.

Will definitely give your interval workout a try as well.  There is a high school track that is around 3 kms away and so getting there would be a decent warmup.

For those that regularly do interval training, do you ever go faster than 5 km pace?  If so, how much faster?  

2016-03-31 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thank you Jason!  Timely post as I plan to do a bit of speedwork tonight.

I had PBs in 5 km and 10 km in 2014 and looking back at my training I did very minimal interval training but both races were during HM training where my run volume was higher. 

I'm currently only running around 15 to 20 miles per week but would like to get to around 25 miles or so with 3 to 4 runs broken down as follows - 1 long run, 1 hills (treadmill simulation) and 1 speed work.  If I can fit in the 4th run, it would simply be to boost volume at slow steady pace.

I'm racing quite a few Sprints this summer and so wanted to give speedwork at try, but will be very cautious about injuries.

Will definitely give your interval workout a try as well.  There is a high school track that is around 3 kms away and so getting there would be a decent warmup.

For those that regularly do interval training, do you ever go faster than 5 km pace?  If so, how much faster?  

If you go to the Jack Daniel's VDOT tables they will give you paces for all types of intervals. The 200 and 400m paces are faster than 5km. They are closer to 1 mile pace than 5k pace.

That said, Daniels suggests a little more volume before doing speed work so maybe being a little conservative is good.

I was doing 500s at 1mile pace and I hurt my achilles so do as I say not as I do :-) I will be aquajogging for the next week.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-31 1:39 PM
2016-04-01 8:03 AM

User image

Oakville

Thanks Marc.  I use the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator on the runbayou.com website but was looking at the Interval paces, which were only a few seconds faster than my 5 km pace. 

I see that the Repetition paces are quite a bit faster than 5 km pace - about 18 seconds / km faster for the 400 m repetitions.

I won't be trying that pace anytime soon.  In fact, I don't plan to go much faster than my 10 km pace for the first few intervals.

Was planning on doing some intervals last night but started to feel lousy mid-afternoon and had a full blow cold by dinner time. I'll give it a try early next week. 

2016-04-01 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Marc.  I use the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator on the runbayou.com website but was looking at the Interval paces, which were only a few seconds faster than my 5 km pace. 

I see that the Repetition paces are quite a bit faster than 5 km pace - about 18 seconds / km faster for the 400 m repetitions.

I won't be trying that pace anytime soon.  In fact, I don't plan to go much faster than my 10 km pace for the first few intervals.

Was planning on doing some intervals last night but started to feel lousy mid-afternoon and had a full blow cold by dinner time. I'll give it a try early next week. 

think of it this way. Your 10-15km pace is threshold, like doing 100% CP on the bike
your 1mile pace is similar to your 5' on the bike, which is say 120% of CP.
on the bike do your VO2max 3-5 min intervals at say 110%, so you do them half way between threshold and 5'
the 30s to 1min intervals you may do at 120% so your 5' MMP.

take a 52vdot runner.
threshold pace = 4:07/km
1mile pace = 3:31/km

repetition pace for 200s is 42s = 3:30/km
so he is making run 42 seconds at the equivalent of your 1mile pace. Kind of like on the bikedoing 42s intervals at 120% of CP. Makes sense

5km is 19:17, so pace is 3:51/km
If you run them at 5km pace you are mid way between 1mile pace and threshold so like doing VO2 bike intervals around 110%
If you're doing 3min worth that's fine. 30sec worth, probably not hard enough.

This assumes you don't go out, run 500s too fast, injur your achilles and be confined to aquajogging. That would be stupid.

Edited by marcag 2016-04-01 8:42 AM
2016-04-01 2:10 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

As previously mentioned speed work can take many forms....it doesn't have to be set intervals on the track.  I think many times people incorporate speed work too early without a sufficient base.  Like Jason mentioned, a few pick ups during a run, some strides after a run, fartleks or even some hill repeats are "safe" ways to incorporate some intensity in your running without too much risk of injury or over doing it.  One workout I always like is "boiling the frog".  Start out easy and consistently build pace throughout the run.  So, on a six mile run you might start at an easy pace and try to drop each mile pace by 15-30 seconds.  That way you are warmed up well and the intensity comes when you already have a bit of fatigue so a good way to see how your body reacts to the extra effort.   Also a great way to work on pacing.  Don't over do each mile/interval and then try to "beat" the time on the previous interval....work on pacing.  So if I started at 9:00/mile maybe I go to 8:30-40 and so on.  Would have me somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30 for the fifth mile and then I would use mile six as a cool down.

Credit for "boiling the frog" to Jason.

Century on tap for me tomorrow.  Raining like a mother here today but should push through tonight and be beautiful tomorrow. Really need to spend some time on my TT bike before my race on 4/9...maybe Sunday if my butt allows.  

2016-04-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Worked overnight last night and really, really worked. All night.

Decided that the better course of valor was to skip the pool and go home rather than the planned hour of swimming. Slept until noon, fueled, caffeinated, hydrated and...... boiled the frog :-)

Did 30 minutes at 8:00 pace (actually was a little too close to 7:40 pace....)
30 minutes at 7:45 pace (actually was sub 7:30. Ugh. Need to control this)
30 minutes at 7:30 pace (7:20 ish or so)
30 minutes at 7:00 pace (paid the price for my sins earlier in the run. It was hard to push to 7:00 pace. I finished the 30 minutes at around 7:04 pace but I wanted to go faster and the body just wouldn't quite do it)
4+ minutes of easy and I had gone 16.39 miles at fairly reasonable pace.

This was a good lesson about pacing in a marathon. If you go out too hard early, you will pay the price later. Smart runners control the pace in the opening 15-18 miles and then have something in the tank to finish faster than they started.

My legs felt terrible for this entire run. First step to last. This was also a lesson in HTFU for running. Hopefully it will serve me well in two weeks when I am tapered and ready to race. I don't think I have my mystical, dream, sub 3:00 marathon in my current legs but I might surprise myself on race day. Time will tell.

On other fronts, we are leaving for Iceland in the morning. Still bummed about Paris but this is going to be a fabulous trip. I have no idea what our internet access will be like so I may be somewhat absent the next week but I am sure that you will carry on without me :-)
2016-04-02 3:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Lionel Sanders with the fastest bike and run today at Oceanside. Marc, you must be happy for him. Looks like the position changes didn't hurt him at all..... ??

I got up and ran 7+ before leaving for the airport. The training plan said, "try to hit some 6:20s to 30s for a couple miles." That was funny. I rolled out of bed and felt every one of yesterday's miles and most of my 45 years. The run got better as I got deeper in to it and I averaged close to 7:30s but no 6:30s were run. Not even close.

I'm sitting in New York with four hours into my next flight. Should have put workout clothes in my carry on. I could have run laps around the airport.
2016-04-04 7:54 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Here's a question about periodization and peaking for an "A" race.

I'm using various Trainerroad plans for my bike training (Sweet Spot Base I & II, Olympic Tri Build and Olympic Tri Race-Specfic). Right now I'm in the middle of the Build phase.

I have races in late May, late June, and late July. The one in late July is my "A" race (Nationals).

Currently my plan would have me completing the "race specific" block for the end of June, so I'd in theory be in peak form for that race (at least in terms of cycling). The plan then was to go back and repeat the final 4 weeks of the TR plan leading up to Nationals, so sort of a double-peak for races a month apart.

Does this make sense? Or would I be better off tweaking my training blocks so I only peak for the July race? In which case what do I do with the extra 4 weeks? Just stay in the build phase? Go back and do a week or two of base? Have a longer race-specific phase?

Running and swimming are a different story but let's just talk about the bike training for now.
2016-04-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
IMO, there are a few things to "peaking"

I am a big believer that CTL is a very important factor, so upping your CTL from race to race to race is relatively "easy" to do. Just do more :-)

But I also believe that not all CTL is created equally and that if you have been doing 12 weeks of the same thing when you hit May and you just do the same thing for another 8 weeks when you hit July, even with a bigger CTL, that isn't optimal.

I don't know what the specifics of your plan are, but you could do a first peak in May, then do a 8 week block to do a second peak in July but change things up in that final block.

So maybe re-arrange things so the two blocks are a bit different.

That's at a very high level without having seen any specifics of your plan and not knowing your relative strengths and weakness.

2016-04-04 10:47 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah my plan was to up my CTL over the course of the whole season, so in that sense if I stuck with my original plan I wouldn't really be "repeating" the final 4 weeks of the race-specific plan so much as I'd be following along the same general idea but at higher TSS than the first time I did it (i.e. longer and/or more intense workouts).

Trainerroad structures the plan with 1 day of VO2Max intervals, 1 day of just-above-threshold intervals, and 1 day of long threshold work. It's basically 8 weeks of that, with the weekly TSS increasing over that time.

It seems reasonable to me that I can build to a peak in late June, then just keep building after that and have a second, higher peak a month later. To be honest looking at the Trainerroad plans I don't really see a difference between the Build phase and the Race-specific phase. They both follow the same basic structure, but the Race-specific one includes a taper towards the end. I guess what I'm really wondering is, does tapering for the race in late June impact my ability to be in top form in late July? Keeping in mind we're talking about a Sprint in June and an Oly in July.

Marc you seem to be suggesting it would be better to peak for late May, train through the June race and re-peak in late July. Do you think this is a better approach than just training through both of those races and only peaking for Nationals? To be honest the May race is a C-priority race as it's a pool swim sprint tri (500/16km/3km) so I don't see myself tapering for it.

When you say my relative strengths and weakness, do you mean across all three sports, or just in terms of cycling?

2016-04-04 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis
When you say my relative strengths and weakness, do you mean across all three sports, or just in terms of cycling?

I mean just in terms of cycling. For example relatively speaking, I do quite well on VO2max type work but struggle more at threshold unless I specifically work it. So if it were me, I would be doing more VO2type work further from my race then threshold work in the last block going into my 'A' race. That said, I would always do some VO2 and some threshold, it's just the ratios and types of intervals may be different.

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis
Marc you seem to be suggesting it would be better to peak for late May, train through the June race and re-peak in late July. Do you think this is a better approach than just training through both of those races and only peaking for Nationals? To be honest the May race is a C-priority race as it's a pool swim sprint tri (500/16km/3km) so I don't see myself tapering for it.

If it were me, because of my relative strength/weakness I would probably be doing more VO2 type work before the May race and then a very specific 8 week threshold block after. That said, there is VO2 type work that will also improve your power at threshold. I would certainly not taper much for the May race as I wouldn't want a big drop in CTL with the taper and recovery.

You also have to layer on your run intensity.

You should consider doing the OBC TTs every 2nd week in May/June. Great workouts and great way to dial in your aero.

I really like blocks with very specific goals. This is my season to date, 2 weeks prep, an 8 week block, 4 week block, 8 week block and now I'll go into a 4 week block before a final 8 week HIM race specific block.

You see the TSS (little white bar) growing. You see the mix of zones.
Notice in the 2nd block very little orange (threshold).
In the 3rd and 4th there is a similar mix of threshold and VO2 (orange and red bars) but the best 20/30 min power (orange/yellow line) is growing, where as in 4th block the green line (60min NP is growing). That's because the compositiion of the workouts is quite different, even if the time in zones is similar.
All the yellow stuff is strength work
The big spike last week is because I am not allowed to run

(Screenshot 2016-04-04 13.35.29.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2016-04-04 13.35.29.png (106KB - 3 downloads)
2016-04-04 2:15 PM

User image

Oakville

Mike/Marc - great discussion on transitioning into the peak phase of training.  Over the winter I've been focusing on VO2 max workouts but am trying to ease back and incorporate more threshold work as race season approaches. 

I will mainly be racing Sprints over the summer with an Olympic in August and possible HIM in September.

I've also made a few adjustments to my fit but am a bit worried that I may be sacrificing power for aero.

If I could indulge you all, attached is a screenshot from the "Bike Fit Inspector" app on the triracebook.com website.

The changes I made are: lower the bars by removing all 3 spacers and move the saddle up and back a little.

I tried to move the arm pads closer together a few weeks ago but it was really uncomfortable in the shoulders so I moved them back.

I believe that all of the 'TRB' markers are roughly in the right positions and so the angles should be fairly accurate with the exception of seat angle.

If I measure the seat angle from the bottom bracket (as opposed to my ankle), then the angle is 81.5 degrees.  I may need to move the saddle further back.

It also looks like I need to move the arm pads forward, but its actually fairly comfortable at that angle.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Another question is how long should it take to adapt to a new position?  I tried a very short threshold interval with the new position and found that my hamstrings and quads started to burn within a few minutes.

Edited by Scott71 2016-04-04 2:20 PM

(Triracebook - Apr 03 16.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Triracebook - Apr 03 16.JPG (120KB - 5 downloads)
2016-04-04 2:37 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
That's helpful. I'm wondering now if it makes the most sense just to ditch the Trainerroad plan and develop my own training blocks instead so I can craft the timeframes and goals to my specific needs. You seem to like the 4/8/4/8 etc. breakdown, so maybe I'll come up with something similar. Under that system I could have an 8 week block leading up to my race in June and then a 4 week block leading up to Nationals.

In terms of weaknesses on the bike, I rarely feel really challenged by VO2 work, it's the long threshold stuff that's a challenge. On saturday my workout called for 90 minutes @ 90-95% of FTP and I couldn't complete it. Now I have been sick, but I still don't know if I could have done that workout without the cold. So I'd say holding threshold efforts for longer periods is an issue at this point. I also consistently struggle with over-under workouts (i.e. recovering from above threshold efforts at just below threshold). So probably similar to you in the sense of less VO2 and more threshold as I get closer to racing.
2016-04-04 6:40 PM

User image

Oakville

Wow.  90 minutes @ 90 - 95% would be a killer.  I think psychologically I'd be beaten before I even started that workout.

I can suffer through the VO2 max intervals because I know the next break will come soon, but the longer threshold rides on the trainer are mentally draining.

Mike - you posted a 'critique my fit' video last week and so you may be interested in the Bike Fit Inspector on triracebook.com.  You upload a photo of your aero position, place markers on various parts of your position and then it spits out some angles with recommendations if you don't fall in a set range.

There's a tutorial on youtube.com that pretty self explanatory - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1bb-G7KI0.  Its a little twitchy and can be tough to get the markers in the right spot, but gives you some basic data of your fit.  

I'll let those more experienced comment on your fit, but you look like you are pretty low.  Did you notice any drop in power as compared to your prior position?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 55789 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.