BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

Originally posted by Qua17 I went for a ride yesterday with a 60 year old man who kicked my a$$. Seriously - the guy was a machine and he was telling me that the biggest thing I can do is to drop a gear and pedal faster. He thinks I would do best hovering in the 100 to 105 range but this seems so fast to me. I would tend to doubt him but he has ridden almost 400,000 miles (he rode 200 miles to make it to his vacation place up here - the guy is a stud) so he knows more than I will ever know. Thoughts about revolutions per minute?

That's what I ride at most of the time. I do some muscular strength work in the 95 range but for the most part I try to stay in the 100-105 range. Your most efficient cadence will be whatever you've adapted to ride at but there is such a thing as a universally optimal cadence range and that is generally 95-105 (90-100 in other sources). Because of the body's ability to adapt its musculature to be optimal in almost any scenario, if you regularly mash at 85 and try to ride 95, you'll hate it and you'll be less efficient. But if you start training at the higher cadence, when your musculature eventually adapts, you'll be more efficient than you were at 85. It takes a little time and effort but it's worth it. 

2016-07-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Qua17 I went for a ride yesterday with a 60 year old man who kicked my a$$. Seriously - the guy was a machine and he was telling me that the biggest thing I can do is to drop a gear and pedal faster. He thinks I would do best hovering in the 100 to 105 range but this seems so fast to me. I would tend to doubt him but he has ridden almost 400,000 miles (he rode 200 miles to make it to his vacation place up here - the guy is a stud) so he knows more than I will ever know. Thoughts about revolutions per minute?

That's what I ride at most of the time. I do some muscular strength work in the 95 range but for the most part I try to stay in the 100-105 range. Your most efficient cadence will be whatever you've adapted to ride at but there is such a thing as a universally optimal cadence range and that is generally 95-105 (90-100 in other sources). Because of the body's ability to adapt its musculature to be optimal in almost any scenario, if you regularly mash at 85 and try to ride 95, you'll hate it and you'll be less efficient. But if you start training at the higher cadence, when your musculature eventually adapts, you'll be more efficient than you were at 85. It takes a little time and effort but it's worth it. 

My experience has been to try for low 90s - I usually just do that naturally but it's a little harder to do on the trainer because it requires some focus.  I try to spin a little faster in aero, too (on my clip-ons) - I find that a quicker spin alleviates back stiffening.

2016-07-05 11:21 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Took a day off from training yesterday and saw two movies, BFG and Independence Day: Resurgence.  Both got a thumbs up from the family, though I think BFG was about 10 minutes too long.  ID4 v2.0 was just fun and about what I expected from a Roland Emmerich film.

Today I got in a 5 mile run this morning (and boy did it get warm overnight...), my longest run in almost two years.  Pool later today provided it doesn't storm.

2016-07-05 12:57 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone,

I have been MIA lately. Life has been hectic, in a good way I guess, although I am feeling the effects of too much fun. My body feels gross and I'm holding steady at the heaviest I have ever been. Feeling pretty gross today, so I FINALLY pulled the trigger and signed up for the Baltimore Tri in October. It's just a sprint and will be my first tri since I did this same one two years ago. Training starts tonight, as I'm almost exactly 3 months out.. I'm going to do an interval workout with a friend and include some strength stuff. Any suggestions for the intervals? Probably taking it relatively easy since I haven't been doing much lately.
2016-07-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Just had a crazy incident with a driver. I was riding with a friend of mine up here and we are on a deserted road. We were coming to a stop sign side by side and we are more than 1 feet into the street. The car behind us gives us plenty of space as she passes us but the woman behind her lays on her horn. As she comes up to me - I ask her - Hey - why are you being so rude to the driver who is being so courteous to us. She yells at me – you don't know what the rules of the road. At this point my friend tells her that we do in fact you know the rules of the road and that she needs to learn them. She pulls over and rolls down her window to yell at us some more. My friend leans against her car and starts to explain to her the actual rule she decides she's had enough. So she pulls out into the intersection taking my friend with her. He slides up the side of the car and lands about in the middle of intersection. Luckily no other cars were coming. then she got out of her car. my friend was calling the police and asked if he was okay he said he was but that he was calling police and she needed to stay there.She turned around and got back into her car and drove off. A very nice officer came and took her statements and tracked down the woman in town and wanted to charge her with assault and leaving the scene of a crime which is punishable by time in jail. My friend only wanted an apology and her her to be read the rules of the road. So, she really got off lucky. Just goes to show how many stupid people there are in the world.

Edited by Qua17 2016-07-06 11:12 AM
2016-07-06 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
OK - SO I've been riding with this guy who is 60 and is the opinion me of a bike racer. He's been telling me things that I'm doing the thinks I'm doing wrong I think I'm doing them right from the standpoint of being not a bike racer but a triathlete. So I wanted to see what your thoughts were about some of his victims and get your advice and suggestions.

1. Aerobars are useless for someone who goes about 15 miles per hours. He says that the benefits to lower wind resistance is wiped out by the increase in how hard you have to pedel - that it messes with your form and stroke.

2. I should by up out of my saddle more. I've always been taught that I should be conservative in getting out of my saddle - especially on hills because I'm, in the words of Charles Shepard, burning matches that I won't have on the run. He thinks I should be out of my saddle as I head up entire hills not just at the top of bottom of the hill. Thoughts?

He's pointing out so many other flaws in my style and I'm grateful for the feedback - but these two issues just seem to go against what I know about the strategy in tri.

Thoughts?

2016-07-06 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My experience has been to try for low 90s - I usually just do that naturally but it's a little harder to do on the trainer because it requires some focus.  I try to spin a little faster in aero, too (on my clip-ons) - I find that a quicker spin alleviates back stiffening.

Interesting points! Thanks gentlemen!

DQ
2016-07-06 11:26 AM

User image

Expert

Took a day off from training yesterday and saw two movies, BFG and Independence Day: Resurgence.  Both got a thumbs up from the family, though I think BFG was about 10 minutes too long.  ID4 v2.0 was just fun and about what I expected from a Roland Emmerich film.

Today I got in a 5 mile run this morning (and boy did it get warm overnight...), my longest run in almost two years.  Pool later today provided it doesn't storm.

Thanks for the tips on the movies. What I'm looking forward to is the new BOurne movie coming out in August. Should be a great movie!

Nice job on the run. Congrats on going the distance!
2016-07-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey everyone,

I have been MIA lately. Life has been hectic, in a good way I guess, although I am feeling the effects of too much fun. My body feels gross and I'm holding steady at the heaviest I have ever been. Feeling pretty gross today, so I FINALLY pulled the trigger and signed up for the Baltimore Tri in October. It's just a sprint and will be my first tri since I did this same one two years ago. Training starts tonight, as I'm almost exactly 3 months out.. I'm going to do an interval workout with a friend and include some strength stuff. Any suggestions for the intervals? Probably taking it relatively easy since I haven't been doing much lately.

Nicole - while you may have been MIA - you have been killing it on MFP. Keep up the good work!

3 months is plenty of time. The key to intervals is to find your optimum range and to start small and work your way up. Why not try this -

5 minute warmup where you walk briskly
1 minute walk followed by a one minute run

Next week - you could a minute to the running if you are feeling strong or take 30 seconds off the rest walk each interval. The key is to gage how you feel at the end of the run. Only add time to your run when you are feeling strong. Here's Galloway's site - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/ He knows more than I do so be sure to check it out.
2016-07-06 12:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - SO I've been riding with this guy who is 60 and is the opinion me of a bike racer. He's been telling me things that I'm doing the thinks I'm doing wrong I think I'm doing them right from the standpoint of being not a bike racer but a triathlete. So I wanted to see what your thoughts were about some of his victims and get your advice and suggestions. 1. Aerobars are useless for someone who goes about 15 miles per hours. He says that the benefits to lower wind resistance is wiped out by the increase in how hard you have to pedel - that it messes with your form and stroke. 2. I should by up out of my saddle more. I've always been taught that I should be conservative in getting out of my saddle - especially on hills because I'm, in the words of Charles Shepard, burning matches that I won't have on the run. He thinks I should be out of my saddle as I head up entire hills not just at the top of bottom of the hill. Thoughts? He's pointing out so many other flaws in my style and I'm grateful for the feedback - but these two issues just seem to go against what I know about the strategy in tri. Thoughts?

I have 5.5 hours of riding to do today so I don't have time to dive into all this in detail but my advice would be to never listen or do anything this guy says. All of this is crap advice. If anyone wants to know why it's crap advice, speak up and I can come back to it when I have time later. 

2016-07-06 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - SO I've been riding with this guy who is 60 and is the opinion me of a bike racer. He's been telling me things that I'm doing the thinks I'm doing wrong I think I'm doing them right from the standpoint of being not a bike racer but a triathlete. So I wanted to see what your thoughts were about some of his victims and get your advice and suggestions. 1. Aerobars are useless for someone who goes about 15 miles per hours. He says that the benefits to lower wind resistance is wiped out by the increase in how hard you have to pedel - that it messes with your form and stroke. 2. I should by up out of my saddle more. I've always been taught that I should be conservative in getting out of my saddle - especially on hills because I'm, in the words of Charles Shepard, burning matches that I won't have on the run. He thinks I should be out of my saddle as I head up entire hills not just at the top of bottom of the hill. Thoughts? He's pointing out so many other flaws in my style and I'm grateful for the feedback - but these two issues just seem to go against what I know about the strategy in tri. Thoughts?

I have 5.5 hours of riding to do today so I don't have time to dive into all this in detail but my advice would be to never listen or do anything this guy says. All of this is crap advice. If anyone wants to know why it's crap advice, speak up and I can come back to it when I have time later. 

I agree with Alan - there's some bad advice in there.  I would argue that aerobars are MORE important for a 15 mph triathlete because you're out there longer.  And you pedal less hard due to less wind resistance.  The key is can you pedal comfortably, so fit is really important.  As for climbing, the only reason I get up is if I can't spin the pedals (as in a really steep hill) or I need a 5-10 second break to stretch my back out.

2016-07-06 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in a 75' Bikram Yoga session and then 30'15' bike/run indoor "brick" at lunch today.  It's like 90 plus humidity today so I stayed inside.

2016-07-06 7:13 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! Back from camp - I've been reading posts all along but can't quote from my phone but will when I get in the computer.

DQ, training is going pretty well. I seem to be hitting all of the workouts on the plan for the most part. I'm still a bit shy on the bike for length but getting there.
Mike - yes, good ride. I drive from camp to Schroon Lake, NY as I know it's exactly 26.2 miles around so the plan was to ride 3 loops and have access to my car for hydration purposes and "ride glide." I also had a Porto potty near my car, so bonus. It was very, very windy that day. I got through the first 2 loops but was almost blown over on the far side of the lake on two occasions. I decided it wasn't so safe so when I got back to the car I just ride back down the west side of the lake and back up again. I was hoping for about 78 miles but got 68 or so with just under 4,000' of elevation gain so I think it's pretty close gain-wise to what I'll deal with. I did see a deer when going around the first time - crossed the road in front of me. Then in the second loop I saw 2 more just down the road from the first one. So lovely.
When I finished the ride I had a 45 minute drive back to camp where the "Hoy Olympics" had begun...so no rest for the weary. I literally got out of the car and had to participate in a 3-legged race. Hahaha.
Actually right after the ride I wanted to run - I felt good, but needed to get back for the festivities. Sunday I got up early again for a 2 hour hilly run, got back, cooked breakfast with hubby for 18 people, showered and headed out for a baby shower 2 hours away. ...then drove back. (Who has a baby shower on July 3rd at 1:00???)
Back at it yesterday and today.
Okay, long enough!
2016-07-06 7:16 PM
in reply to: #5189838

User image

, Vermont
Nicole!!! It's good to see you back!! Signing up for that race is the first step in getting motivated to get going!! Good for you!
2016-07-06 7:18 PM
in reply to: #5189839

User image

, Vermont
Alan, awesome on the 5.5 hour ride!!! The clavicle must be healing well! Good for you! You are a machine!
I plan to head back up to MT the first week of August to ride the course again, this time the whole thing.
2016-07-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: #5189840

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, congrats on the long run!!! It always feels good to up the distance and think, dang, I just did that!

2016-07-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5189841

User image

, Vermont
Cadence - I always seem to avg 88 which annoys the heck out of me. The only thing is, that is taking into account if I don't spin while flying downhill too I'm assuming, so maybe I'm actually averaging higher while spinning. I don't know. Today I had a zone 2 ride and decided to really try and keep my cadence higher (at the cost of speed). I rode up my favorite training hill too. I haven't checked the data yet so I'll be curious as to what it recorded. I envy those who avg in the high 90's consistently. I'm working on it.
2016-07-07 7:18 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Cadence - I always seem to avg 88 which annoys the heck out of me. The only thing is, that is taking into account if I don't spin while flying downhill too I'm assuming, so maybe I'm actually averaging higher while spinning. I don't know. Today I had a zone 2 ride and decided to really try and keep my cadence higher (at the cost of speed). I rode up my favorite training hill too. I haven't checked the data yet so I'll be curious as to what it recorded. I envy those who avg in the high 90's consistently. I'm working on it.

That's probably the case, so you're likely in the low 90s.  If you look at your splits on Strava or Garmin Connect you might be able to see what you do on a flat section where you're pedaling the whole time.

2016-07-07 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Totally mailed in a spin class this morning. 

Hopefully my run/swim session this evening will go better.  I had nothin'.

2016-07-07 11:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Hey everyone,

Nicole - while you may have been MIA - you have been killing it on MFP. Keep up the good work!

3 months is plenty of time. The key to intervals is to find your optimum range and to start small and work your way up. Why not try this -

Next week - you could a minute to the running if you are feeling strong or take 30 seconds off the rest walk each interval. The key is to gage how you feel at the end of the run. Only add time to your run when you are feeling strong. Here's Galloway's site - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/ He knows more than I do so be sure to check it out.

Thank you! I will have to check that link out! I ended up doing a 4 minute jog one minute run x 3 the other day, but will definitely try this 1 minute walk x 1 minute run. I have a small park near me that is perfect for something like this. It was almost exactly a five minute loop for our workout on Tuesday. I felt surprisingly pretty good the other day, although got a little dizzy when we did some strength stuff after.
2016-07-07 11:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Look for me if you are going to the Canton Merritt! I will be there teaching lessons until about 7:15!

2016-07-07 12:44 PM

User image

Expert

Alan - I respect you and would like to get your opinion. Why is it crap? What should I be doing? I want to learn or at least know that what I've learned so far is right.

Thanks!
DQ
2016-07-07 12:49 PM

User image

Expert

Hopefully workout # 2 will be better. Sometimes bad work outs aren't your fault but your body's way of saying "Ah, Mike - you're really asking a lot of me here dude. I don't have much more to give you. Serve me a beer, put your feet up, and relax." Listen to your body (most of the time - especially the part about the beer!).

2016-07-07 12:53 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17

Hey everyone,

Thank you! I will have to check that link out! I ended up doing a 4 minute jog one minute run x 3 the other day, but will definitely try this 1 minute walk x 1 minute run. I have a small park near me that is perfect for something like this. It was almost exactly a five minute loop for our workout on Tuesday. I felt surprisingly pretty good the other day, although got a little dizzy when we did some strength stuff after.

Nice work on getting the workout in. Just a suggestion - if you ever feel dizzy, especially late in a workout, drink some water. In most cases - dizziness is caused by dehydration, so try drinking more during your next work out. If you want to take it to the next level - you can always do a pee test before an after a workout to see how much you are actually sweating. If you want to know more - let me know.
2016-07-07 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
All right - I need some advice.

More than two months ago - I pulled my right calf/achilles while doing a half marathon with John. It hasn't been right since and I have really had to dial back my workouts to compensate for it. 10 days ago, I managed to pull it again, and, cautiously, I have aqua jogged since then. It was feeling better, so today I went out for a run but to make sure I was warmed up, I biked for 30 minutes and then walked a mile before even starting to jog. My plan had been to conservatively walk 3 minutes and run 1 minute. BUt I wasn't only able to job for about 10 minutes before resorting to walking the rest of the 6 mile run. I'm not in serious pain but I need to know what else I can be doing. Right now, I'm icing, stretching, and rolling it. What else can I be doing. The pain is mostly in my calf and also in my achilles.

Thoughts?

THanks!

DQ
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6414 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17654 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.