BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all! Back from camp - I've been reading posts all along but can't quote from my phone but will when I get in the computer.

DQ, training is going pretty well. I seem to be hitting all of the workouts on the plan for the most part. I'm still a bit shy on the bike for length but getting there.

Great to hear things are going so well Jenn. The key to the bike, as far as I'm concerned, is your ability to handle the hills. With 6200 feet of gain - plus and especially hard hill at the very end of the bike - it's key to get your hill workouts in. My suggestion is to try to do you workouts with the hills at the end to help you mentally prepare for this last hill. (you go up it 2x - at about the 50 and 100 mile mark). It has a name but I never called it anything but a couple a swear words.

With 6 weeks to go - really try to focus on the bike because a good bike will set up a good run and the run is a piece of cake - I swear. Oh - one thing about the run. They ran out of coke on the run course (I almost cried) and I have never trained using red bull. Be sure to try training with both.

Let me know if you have any other questions! You're gonna crush it!

DQ

2016-07-08 9:32 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So I got out of work early enough that I decided to run to my swim lessons, which is about a mile away from my house. I ran 5 minutes, walked one, ran 5, and I was at work. But then I realized I didn't have my bathing suit...had to run walk back (this time I did 4 minutes run, 1 minute walk) and then back to the gym. I debated driving at that point but liked the idea of getting more of a workout. I think I overdid it though :-/ my glute is a little sore. Otherwise though I am happy I did it!

Going to do some yoga or something this afternoon, haven't decided what yet, but it has to be indoors (it's a scorcher here today). Then plan on swimming tomorrow either before or after my lessons.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training (and beer drinking!)!
2016-07-08 10:13 AM
in reply to: #5189843

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It has been a nice recovery week here. Today is the first day I did two workouts in a day. Of course, that might be because it has been storming here nearly nonstop for a week! Squeezing in outdoor workouts has been a challenge this week. Today was masters swim and then a four mile run.

Tomorrow I am going to ride my HIM bike course!! I somehow managed to talk my wife into being my sag car. She thinks I'm crazy, but that's ok.
2016-07-08 1:57 PM
in reply to: #5190020

User image

, Vermont
That's awesome you get to ride the course before the race!! For me it's huge mentally. Enjoy it!!
2016-07-08 3:55 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by nicole14e

So I got out of work early enough that I decided to run to my swim lessons, which is about a mile away from my house. I ran 5 minutes, walked one, ran 5, and I was at work. But then I realized I didn't have my bathing suit...had to run walk back (this time I did 4 minutes run, 1 minute walk) and then back to the gym. I debated driving at that point but liked the idea of getting more of a workout. I think I overdid it though :-/ my glute is a little sore. Otherwise though I am happy I did it!

Going to do some yoga or something this afternoon, haven't decided what yet, but it has to be indoors (it's a scorcher here today). Then plan on swimming tomorrow either before or after my lessons.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training (and beer drinking!)!

Roll that glute! Well done on the impromptu extra workout!
2016-07-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Got in a 75' Bikram Yoga session and then 30'15' bike/run indoor "brick" at lunch today.  It's like 90 plus humidity today so I stayed inside.

Way to make it work, Mike! Is Bikram hot yoga? I can't remember.

2016-07-08 3:59 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

All right - I need some advice.

More than two months ago - I pulled my right calf/achilles while doing a half marathon with John. It hasn't been right since and I have really had to dial back my workouts to compensate for it. 10 days ago, I managed to pull it again, and, cautiously, I have aqua jogged since then. It was feeling better, so today I went out for a run but to make sure I was warmed up, I biked for 30 minutes and then walked a mile before even starting to jog. My plan had been to conservatively walk 3 minutes and run 1 minute. BUt I wasn't only able to job for about 10 minutes before resorting to walking the rest of the 6 mile run. I'm not in serious pain but I need to know what else I can be doing. Right now, I'm icing, stretching, and rolling it. What else can I be doing. The pain is mostly in my calf and also in my achilles.

Thoughts?

THanks!

DQ

That stinks, DQ. I've heard people have good luck with PT's or chiros who practice ART or dry needling is an option. I personally haven't tried either yet but I've heard success stories from others - something to research maybe or ask around about.
2016-07-08 4:06 PM

User image

, Vermont
85 miles on the bike today with exactly 4,000' elevation gain. Garmin died at just over 75 miles so after another half mile I hit my final turn-around spot, pulled over and pulled out the phone and turned on Strava to record the final 10 miles. There was no way I wasn't having it recorded. hahahhaha.
When I got home I got on the floor to stretch and dozed off. That is the farthest I have ever ridden. My back was really hurting by 50 miles so by about 65 I hopped off to stretch it out. The legs are tired but felt pretty good actually considering I did hill repeats yesterday. I was planning to run a few miles when I got back but it's so late and I need to get some dinner started for the nuggets.
2016-07-08 9:00 PM

User image

Expert

85 miles on the bike today with exactly 4,000' elevation gain. Garmin died at just over 75 miles so after another half mile I hit my final turn-around spot, pulled over and pulled out the phone and turned on Strava to record the final 10 miles. There was no way I wasn't having it recorded. hahahhaha.
When I got home I got on the floor to stretch and dozed off. That is the farthest I have ever ridden. My back was really hurting by 50 miles so by about 65 I hopped off to stretch it out. The legs are tired but felt pretty good actually considering I did hill repeats yesterday. I was planning to run a few miles when I got back but it's so late and I need to get some dinner started for the nuggets.

Nice work Jenn! That the way to make it happen. Good call on taking the time to stretch out and to battle through. Why do you think your back hurt?

2016-07-08 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Had my third flat in three rides. I guess it's time to go buy some new tires. I checked the local bike shop - but they only sell Kendas and I want something that I can trust. So tomorrow I'm gonna by Continental Gator Skins at the place about an hour from my cabin. Traverse City - the cherry capital of the world - is worth the drive. Might have to stop at my favorite brewery where they make a killer cherry beer!

2016-07-09 5:33 AM
in reply to: #5190073

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--I bought gatorskins at the beginning of this season. I almost immediately bought a set of Continential 4000s because the rolling resistance on the gatorskins is HIGH, like really, really high. I lost about 1.5-2mph over medium rides. It was totally demoralizing and I knew I couldn't use them for my HIM if I wanted to make the bike cutoff. The 4000s seem to be a good mix of low rolling resistance and duribility.

After my race the gatorskins will go back on for everyday training, but they just really suck your will to train sometimes.

2016-07-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts

I've been MIA for a few months, and I wish I could say it was because I was too busy to post. Instead I just fell off the wagon and haven't been motivated to do much of anything by way of swim/bike/run.

But that changes today! I got laid off from my job of 6 years this past week, which is actually a good thing. I'd been pretty bored for a while (a contributor to the lack of motivation up top), and had been causally looking for a new job since the spring. But the pay and the hours were good, and I liked my coworkers, so it was hard to really get motivated to leave. Anyway, last week my company announced they were cutting about half of our office, including my entire department. So now I have lots of motivation to get after a new job, plus a few months of severance and a new found feeling of freedom.

But first I get to enjoy the summer! For the first time in years I actually have the time to train according to a plan, rather than getting by with whatever fits in my lunch break. I'm going to be building off a half-century plan I've always wanted to do, and layering runs into the plan's off days. Swimming will continue to be relatively neglected. 

2016-07-10 2:12 PM
in reply to: #5190140

User image

, Vermont
Dennis, welcome back!!!!
I'm so sorry to hear about the job but it sounds like you're dealing with it really well! I hope something comes along soon for you. In the meantime...enjoy summer and training!!! I think the break might get you even more energized while job searching!
Way to be positive! Any particular races you're looking at?
2016-07-10 6:35 PM

User image

, Vermont
15 mile run today in the rain. A big thing for me as it's the farthest I have ever run I think and this time last year my knee was still hurting.
I planned a sort of double loop so I could swing by the house, change socks and shirt, refill water, hit the head, and eat a half a banana (treated it like Special Needs). Definitely a mental thing to go back out in that mess.
Afterwards I jumped on the trainer for a half hour for a high rpm spin and averaged 100. I planned on an ice bath right after but had to get dinner rolling first - spaghetti and homemade turkey meatballs (my boys eat them as soon as they're made and before I can even get them in sauce!). Dinner has been had and cleaned up so now it's time for hell in the tub (the first 5 minutes are hell in an ice bath, after that everything is numb).

Yesterday wound up being off as I had to bring my tri bike to LBS I bought it from (45 min away) so it ate up a big chunk of the day. All in all a good week's work. I missed one swim I wanted to do yesterday but had to get the bike taken care of and by the time I got back my oldest son's friend was over for a sleep over - we went to see the Secret Life of Pets and stayed up until midnight....that was tough. hahaha
I may do a short swim tomorrow on my real rest day since I had yesterday off.
2016-07-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

I've been MIA for a few months, and I wish I could say it was because I was too busy to post. Instead I just fell off the wagon and haven't been motivated to do much of anything by way of swim/bike/run.

But that changes today! I got laid off from my job of 6 years this past week, which is actually a good thing. I'd been pretty bored for a while (a contributor to the lack of motivation up top), and had been causally looking for a new job since the spring. But the pay and the hours were good, and I liked my coworkers, so it was hard to really get motivated to leave. Anyway, last week my company announced they were cutting about half of our office, including my entire department. So now I have lots of motivation to get after a new job, plus a few months of severance and a new found feeling of freedom.

But first I get to enjoy the summer! For the first time in years I actually have the time to train according to a plan, rather than getting by with whatever fits in my lunch break. I'm going to be building off a half-century plan I've always wanted to do, and layering runs into the plan's off days. Swimming will continue to be relatively neglected. 

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the job, but it looks like you have a pretty good plan and attitude about it. I've been laid off twice in my life and both times led to major changes for the better. I hope you are as lucky!
2016-07-11 8:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy Monday! Gag!

Today marks the beginning of the last build phase (one and half weeks) before taper for my HIM. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Test ride of the bike course went pretty well over the weekend. It is hillier than I remember while driving it, but I'm guessing all hills look smaller in the car. Overall, including aid stops, I came in 26 minutes under my goal time. That includes traffic stops and the like too, so I'm pretty happy with that. Aid stops will be faster (hopefully) during the race. This time I just stopped, opened the cooler, and filled my bottles. Gotta think that the aid stations with bottle exchange will be faster than that. Also managed to get my best sunburn in a long, long while on the course. I used sunscreen, but clearly I did not do a good enough job applying it to the backs of my arms and shoulders. Ouch!

This morning was back to masters swim. 2900m good, solid workout. Later I'm scheduled for a run and then even after that an OWS with the local tri club. Need to get into the OW and try my wet suit on again!!

Hope everyone has a good day!

2016-07-12 1:01 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Nice work Jenn! That the way to make it happen. Good call on taking the time to stretch out and to battle through. Why do you think your back hurt?

I threw my back out in March and it set me back about 5-6 weeks in training. I don't think it's ever fully recovered as every time I get on the bike it flares up after a time. It now happens on both the road and tri bikes but I think it's the tri bike that set it off. Over the winter I started my training plan which had me on the trainer for 3 hours on the weekends and I would just plunk down into aero position and knock it out. I never really "eased" into riding in aero, like for 10 minutes at a pop, then up for 10, etc. It was a new position and very aggressively set up as I'm pretty flexible, maybe my core wasn't ready to be down that long, etc. I did have a shim under my left cleat only and we have since taken that out in the past week. Baby steps. I have had 2 fittings and I've spoken with the guy about it; our next step being to raise up the aerobars a bit if the shim isn't working. We shall see.
2016-07-12 1:06 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Happy Monday! Gag!

Today marks the beginning of the last build phase (one and half weeks) before taper for my HIM. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Test ride of the bike course went pretty well over the weekend. It is hillier than I remember while driving it, but I'm guessing all hills look smaller in the car. Overall, including aid stops, I came in 26 minutes under my goal time. That includes traffic stops and the like too, so I'm pretty happy with that. Aid stops will be faster (hopefully) during the race. This time I just stopped, opened the cooler, and filled my bottles. Gotta think that the aid stations with bottle exchange will be faster than that. Also managed to get my best sunburn in a long, long while on the course. I used sunscreen, but clearly I did not do a good enough job applying it to the backs of my arms and shoulders. Ouch!

This morning was back to masters swim. 2900m good, solid workout. Later I'm scheduled for a run and then even after that an OWS with the local tri club. Need to get into the OW and try my wet suit on again!!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Gretchen, you are really setting yourself up for success.
The aid stations have the ability to hand water off while you're riding if you can refill on the fly, or just pull up to them - either way.
26 minutes under your goal WITH stops?! You will do great. Plus with the excitement of race day you will be amped and go even faster. I can't wait to hear how it goes!! Push through this next week and a half and enjoy taper!!
Oh - spray on sunscreen!!! I'm telling you - the same thing happened to me at my HIM a couple of weeks ago - cooked, fried, toasted to a crisp.
2016-07-12 1:18 PM

User image

, Vermont
2500 yds in the pool yesterday and 3500 today. Just came in from a very warm hour run with intervals - blech. I tried Nuun again on this run since it is so hot out...dang, I just can't drink it, almost made me throw up. On to other things.

Hubby and oldest head to the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada tomorrow for a week of fly fishing for salmon. I'm excited to hang with my 9 year old but also seriously wondering how the heck I'm going to get some of my longer workouts in since he's a bit young to leave alone. It looks like I will be using the trainer for the next week and have him ride his bike next to me while I run. Swimming will have to be at the pool and due it being so busy, folks won't allow him in the pool with me since he won't really be "swimming", as in, doing laps. We will play that by ear - maybe he can or maybe that's when he gets his hour of tablet time.
I have a 5.5-6 hour bike ride this Saturday, do you think it's okay to maybe do 2 hours on the trainer, 2-3 hours outside (weather pending and my folks watching my son) then another 1.5-2 hours on the trainer again? That's going to be an all-day affair I feel, to pull it off, but what else can I do? I'd split it up into 3 2 hour trainer segments spread through the day but that doesn't really count for a long ride. It's tough timing with the next 2-3 weeks being my longest training hours. I can't afford to miss anything more.
2016-07-12 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey peeps...been of the grid for a couple of days.  I totally blew off the weekend because I felt better served resting.  I was really cooked late last week so I figured a day or two down wouldn't hurt.  I've had two pretty good days Mon/Tues - 60' Z2 trainer and a good swim/strength session yesterday and a good tempo run and short swim today.  I guess it worked.

About to pull the trigger on a race 750M/19.5mile/3.3mile - just over a sprint distance and the longer bike helps me, and I've done the race twice so I know the course.

Jenn - loving those long rides, when your technology doesn't make it the whole way, you're going long!  And yes, Bikram is hot yoga and it's pretty intense if you get at it.

Dave - I think your shin/ankle/achillies/heel is probably going to bug you until you shut it down completely, so since you're in IM training that might be a bit difficult so I see one heck of a lot of walking/hiking for you.  And I agree with Gretchen, get the Conti 4000s IIs (they rock!)

Dennis - welcome back, sucks about the job but sometimes when things force our hand it works out for the better.  Enjoy the extra time to train!

Gretchen - the machine keeps rolling  looking forward to a successful HIM

Nicole - nice job motivating with signing up, just take it slowly and it'll come along

2016-07-12 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 2500 yds in the pool yesterday and 3500 today. Just came in from a very warm hour run with intervals - blech. I tried Nuun again on this run since it is so hot out...dang, I just can't drink it, almost made me throw up. On to other things. Hubby and oldest head to the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada tomorrow for a week of fly fishing for salmon. I'm excited to hang with my 9 year old but also seriously wondering how the heck I'm going to get some of my longer workouts in since he's a bit young to leave alone. It looks like I will be using the trainer for the next week and have him ride his bike next to me while I run. Swimming will have to be at the pool and due it being so busy, folks won't allow him in the pool with me since he won't really be "swimming", as in, doing laps. We will play that by ear - maybe he can or maybe that's when he gets his hour of tablet time. I have a 5.5-6 hour bike ride this Saturday, do you think it's okay to maybe do 2 hours on the trainer, 2-3 hours outside (weather pending and my folks watching my son) then another 1.5-2 hours on the trainer again? That's going to be an all-day affair I feel, to pull it off, but what else can I do? I'd split it up into 3 2 hour trainer segments spread through the day but that doesn't really count for a long ride. It's tough timing with the next 2-3 weeks being my longest training hours. I can't afford to miss anything more.

Though obviously you're not going to get quite the same benefit as the sport-specific 6 hour ride outdoors, you'll be able to at least equal the training stress prescribed by your plan.  I'd love to hear Alan chime in on this.

You could just ride for six straight hours on the trainer. 

2016-07-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: #5190233

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm tired. I think I've reached that point where all I want to do is sleep. I remember this from my oly last year and kept wondering when I'd get there this year. I have arrived! Yesterday I managed to both get my wetsuit on and swim a mile in it. I consider both successes! I haven't had it on since last September. HIM has been wetsuit legal in the past, so I'm not taking any chances. If it is, I want to be comfortable in that thing! Capped yesterday off with a run, which is also how I started this day. Fit in a short bike session this morning before spending two hours digging trenches in the yard.
2016-07-12 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm tired. I think I've reached that point where all I want to do is sleep. I remember this from my oly last year and kept wondering when I'd get there this year. I have arrived! Yesterday I managed to both get my wetsuit on and swim a mile in it. I consider both successes! I haven't had it on since last September. HIM has been wetsuit legal in the past, so I'm not taking any chances. If it is, I want to be comfortable in that thing! Capped yesterday off with a run, which is also how I started this day. Fit in a short bike session this morning before spending two hours digging trenches in the yard.

I bet you're tired.  Yikes! 

2016-07-12 5:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Hi ALL - I would like us to make it our mission to keep up the good posting. Not only are we supporting each other but we are catching up on the dastardly Manatee Mentor group that leads up by 133 posts. If each of us writes 1 extra post a day - we will catch up to them by the end of September.. We were tops last year - there is no reason why we shouldn't be the best gosh darn group on BT again. Let's do this people!
2016-07-12 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm tired. I think I've reached that point where all I want to do is sleep. I remember this from my oly last year and kept wondering when I'd get there this year. I have arrived! Yesterday I managed to both get my wetsuit on and swim a mile in it. I consider both successes! I haven't had it on since last September. HIM has been wetsuit legal in the past, so I'm not taking any chances. If it is, I want to be comfortable in that thing! Capped yesterday off with a run, which is also how I started this day. Fit in a short bike session this morning before spending two hours digging trenches in the yard.

Prepping for the wet suit is a good call but be sure to practice talking it off. You can easily save a minute or two by being able to get of of the thing quickly.

In other news - you're a machine! Try to get a little extra rest!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6436 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17706 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.