BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-09-02 7:46 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open

First join the team then it should appear...apparently 1 person is not a team... haha

http://log.concept2.com/challenges/help/joining-team

Originally posted by Juancho
Originally posted by thor67

Well so far so good. Down 8lbs. Going to try and get to 190lbs by spring.

As part of my training I have started rowing on stationary rower again. Love the Concept2 rower!

If anyone wants to join me, I have started a team for the upcoming Fall challenge running Sept. 15-Oct. 15. Sign up for logbook and look for Beer Drinker Appreciation Society!

http://log.concept2.com/log

Thor, I just signed in but cannot see the BDAS challenge, in these dates only the Fall Season Challenge... Any other link? Would like to join to work a bit my core. Great initiative, thanks!! Juan

2016-09-02 7:55 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy long weekend Friday!!!! I'm hoping to scoot out of work early in the afternoon. I just have one thing I must finish before the weekend. Which, if all goes as per normal means I'll probably be here tomorrow finishing it up. Anyone have big plans for the weekend? C is going to visit her parents, so I'm staying here and gonna work with some power tools! Goals for the weekend are trim trees, mow grass, and finish some Adirondack chairs I started building in June. Oh, and some workouts. I'll likely squeeze some workouts in there too.

This morning was a hard and fast masters swim. Ladder of 100s (5, 4, 3, 2) on descending intervals, then back up again. Finished it off with a five person race in which I came DFL. I cramped up as I was pushing off the wall. Next time!
2016-09-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Had a solid run this morning. Ran 3.25 miles at 9:15 pace. Felt pretty strong and probably could've gone a little longer. Gonna swim either tonight or tomorrow and going to November project tomorrow morning to get some hills in (they run up this hill at the park by my house that is a half a mile long, a nice steady incline...so painful). Heading to NYC this weekend and apparently where we are staying is very near Central Park, so I should be able to get some good runs in!

Oooooo...I know that hill very well.  It's where I did my hill interval training when I was running a lot.  Brutal. 

2016-09-02 8:11 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Happy long weekend Friday!!!! I'm hoping to scoot out of work early in the afternoon. I just have one thing I must finish before the weekend. Which, if all goes as per normal means I'll probably be here tomorrow finishing it up. Anyone have big plans for the weekend? C is going to visit her parents, so I'm staying here and gonna work with some power tools! Goals for the weekend are trim trees, mow grass, and finish some Adirondack chairs I started building in June. Oh, and some workouts. I'll likely squeeze some workouts in there too. This morning was a hard and fast masters swim. Ladder of 100s (5, 4, 3, 2) on descending intervals, then back up again. Finished it off with a five person race in which I came DFL. I cramped up as I was pushing off the wall. Next time!

I share your experience when I swim with our Masters group, too.  They're hammering through stuff and chit-chatting at the wall between intervals; meanwhile I'm barely making them and it's like "touch, breathe, GO AGAIN!!" 

2016-09-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: #5197201

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Loving a crisp fall day here. Got to sleep in a little and still run in gorgeous temps (~68F). Three miles with the pup. Now off to break out the chain saw and trim some trees around the house. We have 55 trees on our lot, so this is probably going to be a multi day chore.
2016-09-03 8:23 PM
in reply to: #5197634

User image

, Vermont
Half iron tomorrow. Big George. 3,000' elevation gain. We'll see how it goes....don't forget, I started a taper over 5 weeks ago.....I haven't run over 5 miles in about 5-6 weeks. (And have a strained ham/glute/pelvic floor thing going on.. Well, we will make the best of things and see how it goes! At least it's not supposed to rain tomorrow...

2016-09-04 5:13 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

New user
Madrid
Gook luck Jenn, go out and have a great day! This race should give you back part of the good feelings you were looking in your IM!!

Juan
2016-09-04 5:15 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Question to BDAS about a topic we never discussed: what type of cycling shoes do you wear? I wear Pearl Izumi specific for tri and need to buy a new pair. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Juan
2016-09-04 5:45 AM
in reply to: #5197650

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good Luck Jenn!!!
2016-09-04 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802Half iron tomorrow. Big George. 3,000' elevation gain. We'll see how it goes....don't forget, I started a taper over 5 weeks ago.....I haven't run over 5 miles in about 5-6 weeks. (And have a strained ham/glute/pelvic floor thing going on.. Well, we will make the best of things and see how it goes! At least it's not supposed to rain tomorrow...
Good luck, Jenn!!!
2016-09-04 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by JuanchoQuestion to BDAS about a topic we never discussed: what type of cycling shoes do you wear? I wear Pearl Izumi specific for tri and need to buy a new pair. Any suggestions or recommendations? Juan
I wear just cycling shoes, and they're Scattante brand (that's Performance Bike's house brand). They're getting on six years old now; I probably need new ones so I'm interested in everyone's responses.

2016-09-04 5:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Well the tropical storm that made a mess of Florida and the SE US has managed to avoid us and we've had some decent weather this weekend. I'm about to head out to get like 30-35 miles in.
2016-09-04 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5197670

User image

, Vermont
Juan, I have Sidi tri shoes. I think mine are T2's but they have one or new newer versions of it out now. Good shoes!
2016-09-04 8:42 PM
in reply to: #5197710

User image

, Vermont
Big George Half Iron is done. I cannot walk without assistance now due to my aforementioned issue but pulled off 6:01 unofficial (missed it by 0:01:01) haha. Swim was not my best - seem to be struggling with it this year. Bike felt fast (for me) but I haven't seen the official splits yet. The run I knew going in would be a problem but I stuck with my run a mile/walk a minute plan. Sure enough in the middle of mile 9 on a big hill the muscle seized up and I hobbled up the hill. I could only jog the flats and downhills. I was in enough pain I almost teared up (I have never done that). Before this all happened I had seen two different runners struggling and stopped to help them (base salts and walk with them, check in with them, etc). I somehow still managed to get second in my age group. (At Tupper Lake my time wouldn't come close to getting me podium!). But that was fun. My hubby helped me walk up to get my coffee mug. - useful. It was a beautiful day too - blue skies and not horribly hot until the very end, yet 53 degrees at start time.
Big George has a nice bike course - a good mishmash of hills, flats, and twisty technical spots. I enjoyed it and recommend it. I can't walk right now, but this too shall come to pass.
2016-09-04 8:45 PM
in reply to: #5197711

User image

, Vermont
Juan, I certainly never meant to come across as treating a HIM like it is nothing, hahaha, far from it! I think it is becoming my favorite distance though. I just happen to be coming off IM training with a disappointing result and thought signing up for this race would help to put me in a better frame of mind. Definitely have found areas to work on over the winter for sure.
2016-09-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: #5197712

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Juan--I'm wearing Shimano bike shoes. I think they at mountain bike shoes, they have laces and the cleats are inset into the sole. I've had them for four years and they are still holding up.

Jenn--great job on your HIM!!! Sounds like you had a great race!

I went for an OWS this morning with the local tri club. It was a nice mile swim across the local lake. Only bad part was that on the back half I was under attack from a hoard of horseflies--swim a stroke, slap at them, swim a stroke, slap at them. Don't have to deal with that in the pool!

2016-09-05 1:14 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Juan, I certainly never meant to come across as treating a HIM like it is nothing, hahaha, far from it! I think it is becoming my favorite distance though. I just happen to be coming off IM training with a disappointing result and thought signing up for this race would help to put me in a better frame of mind. Definitely have found areas to work on over the winter for sure.

Absolutely!! Agree that HIM is the best distance for me as well, but yes, I would like to fulfill my dream one day, may be 2017..... and then back to HIM.
Well done in your race, mental endurance is key! Congratulations!
Juan
2016-09-05 1:15 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Juan--I'm wearing Shimano bike shoes. I think they at mountain bike shoes, they have laces and the cleats are inset into the sole. I've had them for four years and they are still holding up.

Jenn--great job on your HIM!!! Sounds like you had a great race!

I went for an OWS this morning with the local tri club. It was a nice mile swim across the local lake. Only bad part was that on the back half I was under attack from a hoard of horseflies--swim a stroke, slap at them, swim a stroke, slap at them. Don't have to deal with that in the pool!

How lucky you are to practice OWS, I live 400km away from the coast and no lakes, but yes, horseflies don´t sound very appealing - will stay in the pool.

Juan
2016-09-05 1:17 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Well the tropical storm that made a mess of Florida and the SE US has managed to avoid us and we've had some decent weather this weekend. I'm about to head out to get like 30-35 miles in.

Incredibly hot these days in here Mike, lucky you storms did not reach you; I am going out for a run at 32C after being 42C during the day, too much for early Sept!

Juan
2016-09-05 8:30 PM
in reply to: #5197734

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ugh--just spent 15 min gathering all my "run in the dark" gear for tomorrow morning. Boo for shorter days!
2016-09-06 8:02 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up and out the door in the dark for a nice 3mi run with the pup. We had on all the light-up gear this morning. The neighbor lady, Jane, who is a little weird (super nice, but a little weird) was out weeding her flower bed. She scared the crap out of me by hollering good morning out of the dark. Obviously, she could see me, but I couldn't see her! Guess the lights work!

This weekend is my last tri of the season...Oly. I did this Oly last year, but am so unprepared for it this year. I really allowed my training to fall off the rails after my HIM in July. Oh well, get it done and move into the off season, where I'm going to spend time working on running, my weakness.

2016-09-06 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Big George Half Iron is done. I cannot walk without assistance now due to my aforementioned issue but pulled off 6:01 unofficial (missed it by 0:01:01) haha. Swim was not my best - seem to be struggling with it this year. Bike felt fast (for me) but I haven't seen the official splits yet. The run I knew going in would be a problem but I stuck with my run a mile/walk a minute plan. Sure enough in the middle of mile 9 on a big hill the muscle seized up and I hobbled up the hill. I could only jog the flats and downhills. I was in enough pain I almost teared up (I have never done that). Before this all happened I had seen two different runners struggling and stopped to help them (base salts and walk with them, check in with them, etc). I somehow still managed to get second in my age group. (At Tupper Lake my time wouldn't come close to getting me podium!). But that was fun. My hubby helped me walk up to get my coffee mug. - useful. It was a beautiful day too - blue skies and not horribly hot until the very end, yet 53 degrees at start time. Big George has a nice bike course - a good mishmash of hills, flats, and twisty technical spots. I enjoyed it and recommend it. I can't walk right now, but this too shall come to pass.

Nice job considering the injury...now get it healed!! 

2016-09-06 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

About to take the plunge and get a real power meter (vs. using virtual power).  Looking at a used PowerTap wheel for about $200 - I'm going to order a Flo 30 rim and some Sapim spokes and voila! - a PT Flo rear wheel.  Looking forward to actual numbers vs. just guessing.

2016-09-06 1:24 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Up and out the door in the dark for a nice 3mi run with the pup. We had on all the light-up gear this morning. The neighbor lady, Jane, who is a little weird (super nice, but a little weird) was out weeding her flower bed. She scared the crap out of me by hollering good morning out of the dark. Obviously, she could see me, but I couldn't see her! Guess the lights work!

This weekend is my last tri of the season...Oly. I did this Oly last year, but am so unprepared for it this year. I really allowed my training to fall off the rails after my HIM in July. Oh well, get it done and move into the off season, where I'm going to spend time working on running, my weakness.

Have fun, Gretchen! It will be peanuts compared to your HIM...

Juan
2016-09-06 1:25 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

About to take the plunge and get a real power meter (vs. using virtual power).  Looking at a used PowerTap wheel for about $200 - I'm going to order a Flo 30 rim and some Sapim spokes and voila! - a PT Flo rear wheel.  Looking forward to actual numbers vs. just guessing.

MIke, show us a picture to see what it looks like: I guess this helps to improve your training, right? Not too much into power meters.... (yet!)

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6443 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17729 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.