BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-09-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Big George Half Iron is done. I cannot walk without assistance now due to my aforementioned issue but pulled off 6:01 unofficial (missed it by 0:01:01) haha. Swim was not my best - seem to be struggling with it this year. Bike felt fast (for me) but I haven't seen the official splits yet. The run I knew going in would be a problem but I stuck with my run a mile/walk a minute plan. Sure enough in the middle of mile 9 on a big hill the muscle seized up and I hobbled up the hill. I could only jog the flats and downhills. I was in enough pain I almost teared up (I have never done that). Before this all happened I had seen two different runners struggling and stopped to help them (base salts and walk with them, check in with them, etc). I somehow still managed to get second in my age group. (At Tupper Lake my time wouldn't come close to getting me podium!). But that was fun. My hubby helped me walk up to get my coffee mug. - useful. It was a beautiful day too - blue skies and not horribly hot until the very end, yet 53 degrees at start time.
Big George has a nice bike course - a good mishmash of hills, flats, and twisty technical spots. I enjoyed it and recommend it. I can't walk right now, but this too shall come to pass.

Congrats! Although the not being able to walk bit doesn't sound very enjoyable.

2016-09-06 2:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Long weekend was great! I swam Thursday evening, did 10x100m fast, then did a slower 400m to finish up. Felt really good.

I talked myself out of running Friday morning, but here was my reasoning: I ran Thursday morning and was planning on running Saturday morning in NYC. I thought 3 days in a row might be a bit much. Also, I had beach volleyball plans on Friday, and ended up playing for almost 4 hours.

NYC was amazing. Saturday the girl we were staying with and I went on about a 5 mile run at 9:51 pace. I probably could've gone a little faster, I felt good, but she was nervous so I took it easy haha. We ran along the river instead of in Central Park, but it was really nice!

After our workout we wandered around the city for a couple hours, went through Central Park and all around. Not really sure where we were but it was a beautiful day and I was just happy to be out and about. Ate dinner at Peter Luger's, which was super amazing. I highly recommend it. The steak was to die for and their bacon has ruined all other bacon for me.

Sunday I went and played some beach volleyball in Central Park! It was amazing. We hit up the US Open that night, got to see Kerber and Djokovic play, and both won their matches.

Long post, but it was such an eventful weekend! After a few hours on a bus yesterday we went out to celebrate my birthday (the big 3-2!) and heard an awesome band, drank some Raven Lager and pretty much destroyed my chances at having a productive Tuesday. Worth it though!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!
2016-09-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Finally made it out for a run on my previously rolled ankle. After 10 days it has healed very well and after the initial stiffness I ran comfortable for a 3 mile. There is still some soreness if I bend my ankle in the direction it rolled, to be expected as the tendon heals. My XC HM is this weekend so I plan on taking it easy and only run when I feel the trail is safe. Won't be my fastest but the scenery should be nice! The course is on the hills overlooking the beach where I swim and paddleboard.

2016-09-07 7:47 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Finally made it out for a run on my previously rolled ankle. After 10 days it has healed very well and after the initial stiffness I ran comfortable for a 3 mile. There is still some soreness if I bend my ankle in the direction it rolled, to be expected as the tendon heals. My XC HM is this weekend so I plan on taking it easy and only run when I feel the trail is safe. Won't be my fastest but the scenery should be nice! The course is on the hills overlooking the beach where I swim and paddleboard.

Good to hear your ankle is feeling better, Mark!! Good luck on your race this weekend! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
2016-09-07 7:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hard morning at master's swim class. I was really feeling down on myself about speed for a bunch of laps, until I realized I was swimming in the third spot instead of my normal first/second, so I was leaving later in the interval. Math--it is hard early in the morning!
2016-09-07 6:49 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by MOlsen

Mark! Glad to hear you're good enough to run on it! Very smart plan to run on the safer sections. The race sounds like it's in a beautiful venue - enjoy the scenery!!

2016-09-07 6:54 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Up and out the door in the dark for a nice 3mi run with the pup. We had on all the light-up gear this morning. The neighbor lady, Jane, who is a little weird (super nice, but a little weird) was out weeding her flower bed. She scared the crap out of me by hollering good morning out of the dark. Obviously, she could see me, but I couldn't see her! Guess the lights work!

This weekend is my last tri of the season...Oly. I did this Oly last year, but am so unprepared for it this year. I really allowed my training to fall off the rails after my HIM in July. Oh well, get it done and move into the off season, where I'm going to spend time working on running, my weakness.

I am noooooot ready for dark morning runs yet! I want early summer mornings back!! hahaha

Good luck this weekend and have FUN!! You may surprise yourself!!
2016-09-07 7:04 PM

User image

, Vermont
Official time from Big George is 6:00:32. I'm cracking up because there are so many places I could have knocked 32 seconds off my time. I would have loved to break 6 hours; but I'm totally happy with it from operating in crazy pain for the last 4 miles. What a fun race.

I rolled into my garage on Monday (stayed at camp Sunday night not far from Lake George) and was unpacking my bike out of the back of my car and saw that my rear tire was completely flat!! So I must have hit something to cause a slow leak...and how incredibly lucky was I that it didn't flat completely during the race!! Wow! (though I'm a little bummed as the tire was brand new right before IMMT). I haven't changed it out yet to see if it's salvageable or what caused it. I did see 3 people with flats on the course. One guy must have hit one of the crazy pothole craters because his wheel was bent! I'm so glad I took some time to drive the course to see some of the rougher spots.
Totally lovely course though and I do recommend it for a nice half ironman. The run is a bit hilly, but very doable. Not sure if I'm going to do a race report.
2016-09-08 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 . The run is a bit hilly, but very doable. Not sure if I'm going to do a race report.

No race report?  Then it didn't happen.

Sorry, I don't make the rules around here. 

2016-09-08 7:23 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Beat myself up this morning in Bikram Yoga - hadn't done it in a couple of months.  OUCH! 

2016-09-08 7:33 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Beat myself up this morning in Bikram Yoga - hadn't done it in a couple of months.  OUCH! 

I love yoga! Right now I'm in a yoga funk, probably haven't done any in a couple of months, but man, when I'm doing it, I feel strong and flexible!

2016-09-08 7:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up this morning for a short, but fast run with the pup in the dark. It wasn't even light by the time we got back... Going to try to squeeze in a short ride this afternoon when I get home, if it isn't raining.
2016-09-09 7:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning all! Anyone racing this weekend? Good luck if you are!!!

I managed a short bike ride yesterday afternoon when I got home. Just under 8 miles, and they felt good. They gave me a lot of confidence for my race this weekend, which I needed, because that was only the second time I've been on my bike since July. Early morning master's swim class today, just 1200m. "tapering" lol

Tomorrow a bunch of our team is heading to Chicago to swim the Big Shoulders Lake Michigan OWS. 2.5 or 5 mile versions of the swim...in Lake Michigan (which is usually cold!). Withing them luck, but not sure I'm ever going to be crazy enough to hop on that train!
2016-09-09 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning all! Anyone racing this weekend? Good luck if you are!!! I managed a short bike ride yesterday afternoon when I got home. Just under 8 miles, and they felt good. They gave me a lot of confidence for my race this weekend, which I needed, because that was only the second time I've been on my bike since July. Early morning master's swim class today, just 1200m. "tapering" lol Tomorrow a bunch of our team is heading to Chicago to swim the Big Shoulders Lake Michigan OWS. 2.5 or 5 mile versions of the swim...in Lake Michigan (which is usually cold!). Withing them luck, but not sure I'm ever going to be crazy enough to hop on that train!

No racing for me...pretty glad, too because we're looking at mid-90s temps and our water temps are still in the 80s (we're usually in wetsuit-legal territory by now in MD).  I had originally planned on a 70.3 up in Delaware this weekend - THAT would be brutal in this weather.

2016-09-09 10:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
No racing for me this weekend, although I am heading up to Gunpowder Falls State Park to go through the course for my tri in 3 weeks! It looks like they changed it a little from 2 years ago but not too much.
2016-09-11 7:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Quick post before heading off for church:

I weighed in at 250 (up 15 lbs since deciding not to do IMNC) and I can't fit into any of my bleeping clothes.

Time to make a change and get back to triing. I'll post more later today.

SOrry for the absence - Life has been blowing lately!

2016-09-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
OK - small group at church got cancelled so I'm back. Like I was saying - I've hit a major wall when I stepped on the scale this morninga at 250 pounds. I'm only 12 pounds from where I started back in 2012 when I dropped nearly 100 LBS - and I definitely don't want to go back there.

So. I spent some time this morning cleaning out nearly 4 tubs of clothes that no longer fit - I've got four pairs of pants and 3 shirts that will still make the cut. I've made it my goal to lose at least 1 pound a week until I'm back in the hundreds. And I'm going to start training again using the first training plan I used back in 2009 when I did my first tri. My goals are two fold - first and foremost - to drop the weight. The second and nearly just as important is to fall in love with trialthon again. Riding my bike used to bring me pure joy - now it just sits in the corner gathering dusts and I really don't feel bad about it. So, I'm gonna dust off Bill Baroo and get back out there. Finally I'm gonna start recording my calories on MFP.

Please hold me accountable by bugging me on facebook - David W. Qua and by giving me crap if I don't post on MFP.

Thanks for your help everyone and have a nice Sunday!

BY the way - for those of you who remember Charles - He's racing IMWI today - his number is 1710.

2016-09-12 8:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave! Good to "see" you!!
2016-09-12 8:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Oly over the weekend. Have to say, it wasn't the note I wanted to end the season on, but overall it was okay. I missed beating last year's time by a couple of minutes, but my bike split was killer, so that is the silver lining. I posted a race report if anyone is interested, but short story is:

Swim: below average due to panic attack in the water. Westuit was compressing my chest and it felt like I couldn't breath. Had to unzip suit a little, which let in water and created drag. Still didn't do too badly, considering.

Bike: awesome Maintained speed and cadence for the whole 40km. Got to cheer on a lot of people because the course was an out and back repeated twice.

Run: Average. Uphill nearly the whole way to the turn around point, but that means down hill nearly the whole way back! Used 4:1 run walk for a while, but then ended up being more like 2:1, then 30:30. Got a little rough at the end. Saw a guy running the whole race carrying an American flag (3'x5') on a pole. It was incredible. I couldn't even imagine having the strength and stamina to do that.
2016-09-12 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well Dave I stepped on the scale about three weeks ago and it registered 240...so I have too have been back on the MFP.

I have also gone back to what I was doing when I started losing weight from 300lbs...rowing, running, walking. Also doing some biking this time.

If you have access to concept 2 rower, I am doing Sept. rowing challenge starting this week. Just sign up for logbook on concept2 website and look for Beer drinkers rowing group I started!

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - small group at church got cancelled so I'm back. Like I was saying - I've hit a major wall when I stepped on the scale this morninga at 250 pounds. I'm only 12 pounds from where I started back in 2012 when I dropped nearly 100 LBS - and I definitely don't want to go back there. So. I spent some time this morning cleaning out nearly 4 tubs of clothes that no longer fit - I've got four pairs of pants and 3 shirts that will still make the cut. I've made it my goal to lose at least 1 pound a week until I'm back in the hundreds. And I'm going to start training again using the first training plan I used back in 2009 when I did my first tri. My goals are two fold - first and foremost - to drop the weight. The second and nearly just as important is to fall in love with trialthon again. Riding my bike used to bring me pure joy - now it just sits in the corner gathering dusts and I really don't feel bad about it. So, I'm gonna dust off Bill Baroo and get back out there. Finally I'm gonna start recording my calories on MFP. Please hold me accountable by bugging me on facebook - David W. Qua and by giving me crap if I don't post on MFP. Thanks for your help everyone and have a nice Sunday! BY the way - for those of you who remember Charles - He's racing IMWI today - his number is 1710.

2016-09-12 9:55 AM

User image

Expert

Dave! Good to "see" you!!

Glad to be seen. It's been a while! IT's good to know that people like you are here running the ship!

2016-09-12 9:58 AM

User image

Expert

Oly over the weekend. Have to say, it wasn't the note I wanted to end the season on, but overall it was okay. I missed beating last year's time by a couple of minutes, but my bike split was killer, so that is the silver lining. I posted a race report if anyone is interested, but short story is:

Swim: below average due to panic attack in the water. Westuit was compressing my chest and it felt like I couldn't breath. Had to unzip suit a little, which let in water and created drag. Still didn't do too badly, considering.

Bike: awesome Maintained speed and cadence for the whole 40km. Got to cheer on a lot of people because the course was an out and back repeated twice.

Run: Average. Uphill nearly the whole way to the turn around point, but that means down hill nearly the whole way back! Used 4:1 run walk for a while, but then ended up being more like 2:1, then 30:30. Got a little rough at the end. Saw a guy running the whole race carrying an American flag (3'x5') on a pole. It was incredible. I couldn't even imagine having the strength and stamina to do that.

Gretchen - Congrats on your race. Sorry things got rough at the end but be proud of what you were able to do on the bike!

WHat do you think your gonna shoot for next year?
2016-09-12 10:04 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

Well Dave I stepped on the scale about three weeks ago and it registered 240...so I have too have been back on the MFP.

I have also gone back to what I was doing when I started losing weight from 300lbs...rowing, running, walking. Also doing some biking this time.

If you have access to concept 2 rower, I am doing Sept. rowing challenge starting this week. Just sign up for logbook on concept2 website and look for Beer drinkers rowing group I started!

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - small group at church got cancelled so I'm back. Like I was saying - I've hit a major wall when I stepped on the scale this morninga at 250 pounds. I'm only 12 pounds from where I started back in 2012 when I dropped nearly 100 LBS - and I definitely don't want to go back there. So. I spent some time this morning cleaning out nearly 4 tubs of clothes that no longer fit - I've got four pairs of pants and 3 shirts that will still make the cut. I've made it my goal to lose at least 1 pound a week until I'm back in the hundreds. And I'm going to start training again using the first training plan I used back in 2009 when I did my first tri. My goals are two fold - first and foremost - to drop the weight. The second and nearly just as important is to fall in love with trialthon again. Riding my bike used to bring me pure joy - now it just sits in the corner gathering dusts and I really don't feel bad about it. So, I'm gonna dust off Bill Baroo and get back out there. Finally I'm gonna start recording my calories on MFP. Please hold me accountable by bugging me on facebook - David W. Qua and by giving me crap if I don't post on MFP. Thanks for your help everyone and have a nice Sunday! BY the way - for those of you who remember Charles - He's racing IMWI today - his number is 1710.

Well - it's good to know I'm in good company! I checked FMP and you have logged in for 20 days which is quite the accomplishment - you own yourself a real beer for that!

I will check at the gym to see if they have a concept two trainer and it would be nice to go head to head. A little USA Vs Canada match up!
2016-09-12 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Morning all! Anyone racing this weekend? Good luck if you are!!! I managed a short bike ride yesterday afternoon when I got home. Just under 8 miles, and they felt good. They gave me a lot of confidence for my race this weekend, which I needed, because that was only the second time I've been on my bike since July. Early morning master's swim class today, just 1200m. "tapering" lol Tomorrow a bunch of our team is heading to Chicago to swim the Big Shoulders Lake Michigan OWS. 2.5 or 5 mile versions of the swim...in Lake Michigan (which is usually cold!). Withing them luck, but not sure I'm ever going to be crazy enough to hop on that train!

No racing for me...pretty glad, too because we're looking at mid-90s temps and our water temps are still in the 80s (we're usually in wetsuit-legal territory by now in MD).  I had originally planned on a 70.3 up in Delaware this weekend - THAT would be brutal in this weather.

MIke - Looks Like you dodged a bullet by missing that race this weekend. It would have been Kona like - but with out the Kona!

What's up next for you?
2016-09-12 10:23 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Well done....again!! Your consistency really motivates me, Gretchen.

Juan
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6415 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17660 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.