General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is the coldest weather you will ride outside in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-09 10:54 AM

, Tennessee
Subject: what is the coldest weather you will ride outside in?
When it comes to running, I will run in just about any weather with the exception of lightning and hail. I am new to the bike however, and am not sure what to do about my long ride this weekend. Today isn't happening due to thunderstorms and possible hail all day (as noted above I wouldn't even run in this weather). Tomorrow will be clear BUT, highs will be in the 30s with windchills in the teens. I get a lot cooler on the bike due to the wind so I am thinking I will have to resign myself to the trainer for a couple hours tomorrow (blech). I am not sure I can bundle up enough to be safe and have a good ride in that kind of weather. What is the coldest weather you guys would bike in and how to you prepare for those rides?

2016-01-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #5160672

, Ontario
Subject: RE: what is the coldest weather you will ride outside in?
I much prefer good weather and am inclined to stay indoors however I know I don't enjoy or get as good a workout outdoors so I push myself to go outside. I find 10 degrees Celsius to be my lowest but see people out biking, even as recently as an hour ago as my house is close to a popular bike route, colder than that. I think the lowest I've seen is about 2 Celsius. I have a pair of fleece lined bike pants that go to my ankle, a toe cover, thick socks, long fingered gloves and a neck warmer that goes over my face for the first bit. Ive never needed more than two layers of regular long sleeves for my torso as while it's cold at first I overheat my torso quickly. As with even warmer weather, it's the wind that is the worst. My toes get the coldest out of everything and that was my biggest challenge and the reason I eventually splurged on toe covers. I had tried plastic bags, warm socks and Vaseline before that but didn't find it was enough. Between 10 and 15 Celsius I will still take the feet warming clothing but will move to a single layer on my torso and capris although still long finger gloves. Good luck getting the motivation to get out in the cold.
2016-01-09 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Anything below 50's and I am indoor on trainer. I'm a wuss in regards to bike and cold. I don't have any real cold weather gear for bike. Run I'll go out in single digits but I have tons of run gear. I did lead cyclists for a race this year that was unseasonable cold, low 30's I think. The elite runners had pretty much anything on and I was layered up. I thought I was going to freeze solid.

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-01-09 1:16 PM
2016-01-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

I'll run in any weather (and it gets really cold here) but when it goes below 10 (50 on the old British system), I hit the trainer. It's my feet that bother me most even though I have toe caps and warm socks.
2016-01-09 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
About 45, (which can be low temps on a summer morning in Pacific Northwest). I have run in temps down to -20, but just can't seem to keep my fingers and toes warm on the bike when it's much below 50, especially if there's wind or rain. I do have winter gear (insulated jersey and tights, jacket, winter socks, shoe covers, helmet liner, gloves with fingers, etc.) but it doesn't seem to help that much with feet and hands. It just doesn't seem to be worth the suffering if my hands and feet won't get warm--easier to hop on the trainer. Wind would probably be the deal-breaker for me--much harder to keep warm or ride safely in that case than if it was 30, calm, and sunny.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-01-09 5:26 PM
2016-01-09 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Just in the last 2 years I've taken my low temp. threshold below 40. I even did a time trial in October and it was in the low 30's. I now have a scull cap, full fingered cold weather gloves, toe covers, leg and arm wamers etc. No ultra expensive gear as I layer up around the leg and arm warmers. Sometimes I'll wear running tights under my leg warmers if it's really cold and windy. I've even ridden on snow on the MTB.

On the roadie or TT I'll ride down into low 30's and maybe lower than that on the MTB since I won't be moving as fast.

Edited by reecealan 2016-01-09 6:06 PM

(With GNR riding in snow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
With GNR riding in snow.jpg (492KB - 5 downloads)

2016-01-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
On the road bike, I'll ride down to 32 degrees (F). On the mountain bike on the trails, I've ridden down to 10 below zero (F).....not sure I'd go much colder than that.
2016-01-09 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Probably 40 F? But that's if it's 40 first thing in the morning, and I know it will be warming up quickly. I can be happy around 50 on the mountain bike, a little higher than that on the road bike. Otherwise I'm just not having fun.
I have knickers and wool knee socks that reach the knickers (capri pants?) I'm not willing to invest too much in cold weather biking gear... for me, running is fun year-round, biking is fun 7 months a year.
2016-01-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: CarolynS

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Lots ride below 0 C in Calgary... if 10 is your limit your kit is the problem. The biggest question for me is "Are the roads bare and dry?"
2016-01-09 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
My limits are something like this...
-Down to -20 Celsius for (-4F) for running and cross country skiing.
Around -15 Celsius (5 F) for bike commuting.
Around -5 Celsius (23F) for MTB trail riding.
Around 0 C (32F) for road riding.
Don
2016-01-09 11:22 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

About 40 degrees for riding.  I won't ride if there's a good chance of ice on bridges, under piles of leaves, under overpasses, etc.  I've seen too many crashes, too many broken collarbones, too many injuries.

Just the other day, a coworker crashed on his way into work.  Here's his Facebook post and it's a great example of why I won't do ride much colder than 40.

"Well, I got a serious surprise this morning when I bit the dust on a patch of ice while bicycling to work. My right hip is bruised and sore, I cracked my helmet, and it looks like my rear derailleur is bent. When I left the house it was around 35-37 degrees but as I got to Redmond the temperature dropped. "

2016-01-10 2:03 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

In the UK the cold is always accompanied by rain so cold weather is treacherous for road biking. I have loads of stories of people coming off the bike and breaking wrists, shoulder blades etc...

Around 30-35 degrees is where I hit the gym for running (or 1.5 degrees in old money)

Originally posted by brucemorgan

About 40 degrees for riding.  I won't ride if there's a good chance of ice on bridges, under piles of leaves, under overpasses, etc.  I've seen too many crashes, too many broken collarbones, too many injuries.

Just the other day, a coworker crashed on his way into work.  Here's his Facebook post and it's a great example of why I won't do ride much colder than 40.

"Well, I got a serious surprise this morning when I bit the dust on a patch of ice while bicycling to work. My right hip is bruised and sore, I cracked my helmet, and it looks like my rear derailleur is bent. When I left the house it was around 35-37 degrees but as I got to Redmond the temperature dropped. "

2016-01-10 2:19 AM

I won't take my road bike out if it's below freezing.

I'll run down to -20 C, though. Anything worse than that and it's off to the (ugh) treadmill.
2016-01-10 2:34 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Originally posted by simpsonboLots ride below 0 C in Calgary... if 10 is your limit your kit is the problem. The biggest question for me is "Are the roads bare and dry?"

Not related to topic, but your signature is neat - I didn't realize there were adult age group records kept!

Good luck getting your two freestyle records back
2016-01-10 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
The coldest I've gone was 18°F. I'm no longer that ambitious. I'm staying above freezing these days.
2016-01-10 5:33 PM
in reply to: nickster

, Tennessee
I decided on the trainer. Windchills in the low 20s and icy spots on the roads. Two hours on it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. I watched the Seahawks game and it was -1 F on the field, things could be worse!

2016-01-10 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Just a little cooler than the coldest water I'll swim in.  Maybe 37 degrees F riding, probably about 40-42 degrees F water temp swimming.

2016-01-10 9:37 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Extreme Veteran
If I want to get a good workout on the road bike, I usually only go down to 50F. Anything lower than that I get a little stiff and can't get a good workout.

Mountain biking is of course different. I'll ride down to 30F since I can bundle up.
2016-01-11 7:01 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by simpsonbo Lots ride below 0 C in Calgary... if 10 is your limit your kit is the problem. The biggest question for me is "Are the roads bare and dry?"

A +1 here. I've ridden well into the low 20'sF, but the biggest issue is whether it's been dry long enough that there isn't danger of ice on the roads. Off-road isn't so much of a big deal (though that often involves road to get there).

2016-01-11 8:06 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
it was -6° F this morning. That made for a refreshing ride. For me, it's treated very much like XC skiing. I wear a base layer and a thermal/wind layer, that's it. If I bundle up more than than, I sweat too much , get wet and then freeze my keister off. My only issue with being cold, on the bike, is my fingers because they aren't moving at all. I haven't sprung for those cool neoprene overmitts but might do so next year. I've heard good things.
2016-01-12 9:28 AM

User image

, South Carolina
Try stuffing a hot pocket in the toe between your cleat cover and your cleat. This way it doesn't interfere with your foot in the cleat and the vent at the toes gets the benefit of the heat of the pocket warmer. I hate when my feet and hands get cold.

2016-01-12 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
No bravado, here.

50F
2016-01-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ToxicDonkey

Try stuffing a hot pocket in the toe between your cleat cover and your cleat. This way it doesn't interfere with your foot in the cleat and the vent at the toes gets the benefit of the heat of the pocket warmer. I hate when my feet and hands get cold.

And when you are done with your ride, that hot pocket will be cool enough to eat without burning your mouth.
2016-01-12 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It depends on how desperate I am. In the Fall I balk at anything under 50.  In the spring, there's no lower limit for temperature.  Mostly I will ride my roadie outside, and do real training rides, as long as it's not icy.  We know where the favorite paths are likely to thaw last, and when it's down to the last small ice puddles we just go and walk the bike as needed.  Well, that's what I do - plenty around here ride through it, often with studded tires.

I actually ride outside year round and have a fat bike - some things you just have to do to survive in Minnesota.  It's super fun but has opened up a whole new area of need when it comes to clothing.  Fortunately there's some crossover between skiing and winter biking (and running).  If you're covered, you can really do anything.  So far I've done about 15 degrees.  My husband does get his kicks from doing crazy things, so he rode on Sunday at around 0.  If you watch football, we live near the stadium where the Vikings lost to the Seahawks.

Boasting aside - I have tons of advice, clothing-wise, for anyone interested in biking in colder weather.  A wimpy little toe cover or arm warmer is just the beginning!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2016-01-12 11:51 AM
2016-01-12 11:55 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Exton, PA
Road or tri bike45-50°F is the lower limit for me.

I will ride my mountain bike down to about 15°-20°F, it's different riding though. Through wooded areas and lower speeds the wind is a non-factor so the cold is much more tolerable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is the coldest weather you will ride outside in? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Cold Weather Riding

Started by drdking
Views: 688 Posts: 2

2010-09-12 5:58 AM trigal38

Cold weather riding?

Started by DolphinGirlMB
Views: 1912 Posts: 22

2009-10-19 2:28 PM 40isnotold

Virginia weather-Gear for colder weather?

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 1045 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 1:54 PM jsselle

Cold Weather Riding

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1093 Posts: 14

2005-10-11 8:14 AM run4yrlif

Cold weather riding gear question for the sake of my knees

Started by cobannero
Views: 1000 Posts: 9

2005-02-28 1:32 PM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.