General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-29 4:48 AM

Subject: weight training?
Hi. Simple question. I've done a few sprint triathlons but am thinking about upping my distance, I haven't seen any recommendations regarding weight training. Is that because its not recommended? Not needed? Love this sight! good luck to all!

2016-01-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #5164094

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: weight training?
Probably the topic that meets with the greatest divergence of opinions on this board. No real answer to how much weight training, in addition to S/B/R, is appropriate for the sport.
2016-01-29 7:31 AM
in reply to: MatthewDority

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

It's definitely not needed for triathlon.  Some still recommend it.  And many do it for a variety of other good reasons.

2016-01-29 7:52 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I do it a couple of times a week, but if I get busy it's the workout I drop before a run, bike, or swim session.

For me, I seemed to recover a little more quickly from harder training sessions after I began resistance training. Mind you, I don't remotely attempt to keep up with the hulks at the gym and only lift weight that is slightly challenging and that I can handle a lot of repetitions with. I am definitely not in there to gain weight. You'll have to decide what's right for you based on your own goals.

Also, I spend as much time on my core strength (abs, glutes, back) as everything else combined.

Here's a good read about weight training for triathletes that really got me started on it: http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-stren...
The writer does a good job of explaining why each exercise is beneficial in triathlon.

Finally, I wouldn't start if your within a few months of your next race. The soreness of getting started could interfere with your training.
2016-01-29 7:55 AM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you really like it then do it, we are about having un after all.  But in my opinion most people on this forum would benefit more from increased time training the 3 sports rather than weight training.

2016-01-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

If you really like it then do it, we are about having un after all.  But in my opinion most people on this forum would benefit more from increased time training the 3 sports rather than weight training.

+1 to this. Do what is fun for you.

2016-01-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

I pretty much agree with everything else that's been written.

Here's something I wrote elsewhere on BT:

I'm actually a proponent of strength training for everybody, including most triathletes. The benefits are many and you really have to put so little in ... even 10min 2x/week is good. Core training (some types demonstrably more, some less demonstrably less) will help in all three disciplines, although in different ways for each. They can indeed help delay some muscular fatigue, but not more so than strength training within the disciplines (eg., hard swim intervals, or hills). Some types of core and strength may help you hold good swim technique for longer, swimming being where body position is really important.

But not everyone *needs* to do it.

What prevents (training-related) injury is proper training. Training related injuries nearly always result from too much and/or too hard too quickly.

The reasons that I'm a proponent of strength training for everybody generally don't have to do with better performance in triathlon. (Most people don't do triathlon anyway!)

If my 82-year-old mom didn't run up and down long flights of stairs all day and walk the dog to death and still carry lots of stuff around, I'd make her do strength (that is, some kind of resistance, weight-bearing) work.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2016-01-29 8:34 AM
2016-01-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Exton, PA

For the most part I agree.

Yes a pure S/B/R focus is what will make us faster. However depending on the person you may have to do some weight training in order to stay healthy enough to do the s/b/r. For me and many others, we need to do some resistant training to keep certain areas/ joints pain free in order to keep going with the s/b/r. However don't expect the weight training to make you faster.
2016-01-29 8:49 AM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Gatornate

+1 to this. Do what is fun for you.

+2

I was a gym rat before I started doing triathlons twelve years ago.  But over the years I found the less lifting and the more s/b/r that I did, the faster I got.   I even gave up my gym membership this past year because I was never using it.

The only strength training I do these days are the dryland exercises that my swim coach has me do a couple times a week.  It's mostly body-weight, and stretch tubing exercises with some yoga stretching thrown in.

Mark

2016-01-29 10:04 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761

For the most part I agree.

Yes a pure S/B/R focus is what will make us faster. However depending on the person you may have to do some weight training in order to stay healthy enough to do the s/b/r. For me and many others, we need to do some resistant training to keep certain areas/ joints pain free in order to keep going with the s/b/r. However don't expect the weight training to make you faster.

I agree. I know a few physical therapists, and they all insist that strength training and maintaining flexibility are important for injury prevention. I doesn't have to be a lengthy routine or involve equipment. You can just spend a few minutes doing pushups, lunges, and single-leg stability exercises a couple times a week.

In my personal experience, strength training helps with endurance, especially with the upper body. At the end of a long swim session, my back is tired. When I do a lot of steep climbs on the bike, it is my lower back that gives out first, not my legs. On long runs, my shoulders slump and ache. A few simple strength training exercises take care of those things.
2016-01-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have been a skinny runner for 30 years and have never done much weigh training.  Even as a wrestler for 6 years through junior high and high school I didn't do much of any weight training (to the dismay of my coaches) except after my knee surgery my Junior year of high school when that is about all I was doing for my rehab for 5 months.  I was a undefeated district champion wrestle in Junior high the only underclassman to make the varsity Cross Country team my first year of high school, etc.  So do you need to lift weights to compete well in sports.  No...I wouldn't think so, but I am making it a concerted effort this year to get in two 30 minute sessions in the weight room every week.  I am going to try and see how it goes.  In the past is has never been convenient to lift weights and made time management for difficult.  I am trying to improve this year and weight training is part of that plan.  Good luck. 

2016-01-29 10:08 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I have been a skinny runner for 30 years and have never done much weigh training.  Even as a wrestler for 6 years through junior high and high school I didn't do much of any weight training (to the dismay of my coaches) except after my knee surgery my Junior year of high school when that is about all I was doing for my rehab for 5 months.  I was a undefeated district champion wrestle in Junior high the only underclassman to make the varsity Cross Country team my first year of high school, etc.  So do you need to lift weights to compete well in sports.  No...I wouldn't think so, but I am making it a concerted effort this year to get in two 30 minute sessions in the weight room every week.  I am going to try and see how it goes.  In the past is has never been convenient to lift weights and made time management for difficult.  I am trying to improve this year and weight training is part of that plan.  Good luck. 

Curious about how anything in this was selected? With the way things were described it looks like several arbitrary amounts or frequencies were picked and are being used to judge an overly broad concept. 

2016-01-30 8:04 AM

User image

My view is everyone can benefit from strength training specific to the three disciplines, especially if you're over 40 and muscle density naturally starts to decline.

Funny enough I wrote published a blog post about this topic today, would be interested in your comments?

http://triathlondaddy.com/resistance-training-legs/

2016-01-30 1:02 PM

Originally posted by MatthewDority

Hi. Simple question. I've done a few sprint triathlons but am thinking about upping my distance, I haven't seen any recommendations regarding weight training. Is that because its not recommended? Not needed? Love this sight! good luck to all!

I am going to guess since you wrote "weight training" that you are referring to what most people think of as lifting weights? I think strength training is an important component of any training plan, even endurance sports. Some envision strength training as the body building model of training, which could very well be of limited benefit. However a proper strength training system will be an asset to training for triathlons.
2016-01-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Pro

Weight training, no.....strength training, absolutely.  Strength training that works the core is essential in my mind.  Planks,  work on an exercise ball, lunges, medicine ball passes, etc. etc.  While swimming learn to dolphin kick, especially underwater dolphin kicks.......builds a very strong core and will make you a better swimmer, hill strides at the end of your run, hill repeats on your bike.....all strength work that carries over well to triathlon.  Be creative , it will pay dividends.

2016-01-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

Weight training, no.....strength training, absolutely.  Strength training that works the core is essential in my mind.  Planks,  work on an exercise ball, lunges, medicine ball passes, etc. etc.  While swimming learn to dolphin kick, especially underwater dolphin kicks.......builds a very strong core and will make you a better swimmer, hill strides at the end of your run, hill repeats on your bike.....all strength work that carries over well to triathlon.  Be creative , it will pay dividends.

Dolphin kicking on your back in streamline is one of the best ab exercises ever.

Mark

2016-01-30 3:03 PM

User image

I never used to but as I am now "of a certain age", I felt like my muscle strength was holding me back so I started doing light weights with lots of reps. I felt that it helped me, especially in the swim. It's anecdotal but I think that it's needed in older athletes.
2016-01-30 10:00 PM
in reply to: #5164094

Find me a top tier pro athlete, regardless of sport (excluding bowling), who does NOT weight train at least a little bit.

Nuff said.
2016-01-31 6:50 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

, North Carolina
I would fall on the Yes side of this argument, but as others have said, it's all about functional strength to stay healthy than it is "toning" weights. MY Sr. Year of HS I had weight lifting class and our Trainer drilled into us the fact that it's all about functional strength. As mentioned already, core work is the main thing for us doing SBR, but I also like to do actual weight lifting in certain areas to be able to push a little harder while biking and running.

The main thing for me is working on opposing muscle groups so that there is balance. Have you ever seen a guy with a huge chest and biceps but he is always walking hunched over because all he ever does is bench and curl? Don't be like him. Work the back and shoulder muscles too. Now, that's an extreme example, and most work for us will be in our legs, but the same applies. Work all the muscle groups evenly to keep balance and it will help you avoid injury because of a muscle imbalance.
2016-01-31 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

My opinion...Strength training can help most athletes achieve their goals.  The devil is in the details.

When and how an athlete approaches their strength training is almost as individual as there are people.

The time crunched amateur triathlete who is younger and/or male whose only goal is racing performance is usually best off only doing some strength training during the off season when their training is more general.  When they get into race specific periods of the year, their time is usually best spent on s/b/r.

For anyone whose goals are more health focused than performance focused will benefit from a more extensive strength program throughout the year.

An athlete with performance goals who has identified specific bio mechanical performance limitations will benefit from a strength program designed specifically to address those limitations.

Aging female athletes can especially benefit from strength training to mitigate the risks associated with osteopenia and osteoporosis.

Most people will not benefit much from beginning a random strength program with no consideration of what they're doing, how they're doing it, and how it fits into their overall health, fitness, and athletic training program.

2016-01-31 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Strong proponent for strength training for all endurance athletes. Even just 30 minute workout x 2 a week can help with speed, confidence and more importantly reduce chances of injury!

2016-01-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Curious about how anything in this was selected? With the way things were described it looks like several arbitrary amounts or frequencies were picked and are being used to judge an overly broad concept. 

I am choosing to do weights this year because I am embracing the concept of 'Total Fitness".  I am nearly 40 years old and at my age muscle mass is wasting away.  Weight training slows the loss of muscle mass so I feel it is more important for me now than when I was younger.  Lifting weights increases flexibility and helps prevent injury.  It also helps in a multi-sport event by increasing strength so that you aren't fatigued later in the race.  Your arms for example are used a lot more in cycling than most people would think.  Strengthening them through weight training may keep you on pace in a run where you otherwise would start to fatigue.  Others have said that they have been heated debates on weight training.  I have no strong opinions on this and am not prepared to debate either side of the arguments, but my conclusion after looking at what I wanted to do for training this spring was that 1) if I didn't embrace the concept of "total fitness" that I would be left behind in a multi-sport event 2) that if I couldn't commit a minimum of two days a week to do weight training that I might as well forget about doing weights because that was the bare minimum to get any benefit whatsoever.  I have a plan and am following it.  What is your plan?

2016-01-31 6:55 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

I am choosing to do weights this year because I am embracing the concept of 'Total Fitness".  I am nearly 40 years old and at my age muscle mass is wasting away.  Weight training slows the loss of muscle mass so I feel it is more important for me now than when I was younger.  Lifting weights increases flexibility and helps prevent injury.  It also helps in a multi-sport event by increasing strength so that you aren't fatigued later in the race.  Your arms for example are used a lot more in cycling than most people would think.  Strengthening them through weight training may keep you on pace in a run where you otherwise would start to fatigue.  Others have said that they have been heated debates on weight training.  I have no strong opinions on this and am not prepared to debate either side of the arguments, but my conclusion after looking at what I wanted to do for training this spring was that 1) if I didn't embrace the concept of "total fitness" that I would be left behind in a multi-sport event 2) that if I couldn't commit a minimum of two days a week to do weight training that I might as well forget about doing weights because that was the bare minimum to get any benefit whatsoever.  I have a plan and am following it.  What is your plan?

Thinking that it has to be one side or the other creates a false dichotomy and that is the issue. You'll have the primary activities you want to do and in general it's best to do them to get better at them. The supplemental work being done (lifting some type of weight could be one) should have some aspect of this in mind. And it for better results it should be more specific than a vague getting stronger. Stronger how? Maximal strength? Holding a faster speed for a race, or holding a speed longer? Are you trying to increase some supporting muscle strength for better positioning? Some of these may not go to any lifting type strength building as they could be better addressed by some drills or skills work. Like adding in some running skips and kicks can help get things firing better, very fast running can help find the position better and then just run more with that improved form. Recovering from a knee operation a number of years ago needed some lifting for awhile as the leg wasn't strong enough for the desired activity. Once it was the need for the other work went away. There are things like the AlterG treadmill or underwater treadmills that can help this now (though not likely I would have had access anyway). They lessen the impact so I wouldn't have had to lift as long to support my full bodyweight before starting up again. Though this still may have been too complex of a motion in the earlier going. Age is growing some as a concern (I'm just a few years behind you), but what does that mean? What does aging do so that you know how to address this? For endurance athletes, it's usually addressing maximal strength, like 1 rep or a few rep max. We can get tens of thousands of reps in our other activities. We can alter workouts to include short hard bursts or surges too, possibly addressing this. That way we are doing the work right in the primary activity to get the best results out of it. If that's what you want to address. So saying you're doing to do 2 x 30 minutes of lifting doesn't necessary make the most sense, but trying to determine what is best for you to do in the 2 x 30' you have allocated for strength work does. It may not take 30' minutes to do, that's just the most time you could put in for it.

2016-01-31 7:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Weight training, no.....strength training, absolutely. 

LB hits it here and this is what I found to be the reason I want to smash my head into a wall every time this discussion comes up. Weight training is not strength training and strength training is not weight training.

There is a big difference from weight training and strength training with the goal of enhancing your performance and/or the ability to improve your performance.

The first common fault that I see with this discussion is the lack of knowledge and/or education on the topic with people making conclusions. Secondly, before starting any type of strength program, you should usually assess exactly what your body requires and needs. Most would be surprised by how basic the program needs to be the improve their stability, mobility, and stability. Instead it seems people go about doing "strength training" with no real justification or understanding to why and how what they should be doing. And when I inquire and ask those people why they do x exercise they really do not give an educated response. That is not their fault, its just a lack of understanding the concepts. Also when watching athletes perform their exercises, they are not done with the best proficiency, and that is usually the goal of the strength training, to move in a proficient and efficient pattern under load.

Strength programs do not need to be sexy or detailed. Push, pull, squat, hinge, with core work focusing on anti-extensional, and anti-rotational patterns. Those are the basics to master really. You can do a lot of strength training with body weight only. The big advantage to that is you can do it anywhere and anytime. You can do it in the 5 minutes before or after a session too, it does NOT need to be a 1 hour separate session. Ideally if you have the resources for this, it can be of benefit.

Goals of the program are simple. First demonstrate the appropriate mobility you need/require for the sport. Then demonstrate the ability to be stable again with the demands of the sport, and then build strength in regards to the needs of each sport.

From my experience I have seen triathletes in general to lack and need strength in the follow areas:

1. Posterior/Lateral chain (back and sides)
2. Thoracic spine/shoulder mobilty
3. Proper hip extension (Cannot get the glute the recruit properly to extend hip)
4. Hamstring/glute development (most people here have compensatory patters where the hamstring is loaded when the glute should, etc)
5. Stability

Yes swim paddles, bands, over gear work, hills, etc are all great ways to develop "sport specific" strength, but do not address individual specific needs. That is where proper strength programs come in.

And yes there is some bias in my post, but again, I speak on experience. I have worked in the strength field for 6 years now, and in the past 2 years focused more on triathletes in a 1-on-1 setting. I have worked with first time ironman, people coming from a short athletic background, up to elite AG'ers and a couple of professionals. Each in their own way have demonstrated the need for a strength program.

Edited by bcagle25 2016-01-31 7:08 PM
2016-01-31 10:30 PM

User image

Mark Allen has talked extensively about this and says if you commit to two days a week on strength training, with a work out he has on active.com you can cut 25% of your miles and improve your performance.

Dave Scott also talks about how he used strength training as well. Hard to argue with these two World Champs.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight training? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Weight training for swimming with free weights?

Started by b2run
Views: 1269 Posts: 5

2013-02-06 12:00 AM AdventureBear

weight training and gaining weight

Started by mjrizon
Views: 2486 Posts: 4

2013-11-12 1:26 AM ultralifeshop

Weight Loss vs Weight Training

Started by Clintjc1
Views: 3477 Posts: 20

2014-08-08 3:22 PM capp16

Weight Training while training for an Ironman

Started by android411
Views: 1115 Posts: 8

2006-05-11 12:27 PM ladavidson

Weight training while Tri training?

Started by sty
Views: 1227 Posts: 3

2005-01-06 10:21 AM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on open water swim drifting off course, no improvement, weight training for swimming and how much time to devote to drills.

date : August 8, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussion on nutrition to lose weight while training for sprints, chocolate milk for recovery, daily calorie breakdown, fruits and bike nutrition.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : June 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Seated Biceps Curl - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.

date : March 5, 2006
author : mikericci
The optimal number of times you should weight train is dependant on the time of year, how close you are to your A race, and which training cycle you are in.