General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IOC and transgender athletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-29 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: IOC and transgender athletes

I've read several articles about this recently and am surprised it hasn't been discussed here. Of course, there are articles praising it and others condemning it. I'm not sure what to think.

the guardian article

the federalist article

2016-01-29 10:47 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Subject: RE: IOC and transgender athletes
My take is this:F to M: I doubt anyone really has any issues with this, I mean they are certainly not gaining any competitive advantage by competing with males. M to F: This is the one I have heard complaints about, but I don't see the issue. As long as their testosterone has been below the limit for over a year (therefore they would have most likely been undergoing hormone therapy for years) who cares if they have had their twig and berries chopped off? Why would having that chopped off even matter? Lots of trans people never have gender reassignment surgery so why would athletes have to? (Heck the extra weight would only slow then down anyways)
2016-01-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

The only reason I could see having the surgery mandatory is if the T therapy is reversable? If that's the case I would almost guarantee there will be someone along the way who would be close enough to make the olympics as a male that since he couldn't make the cut would go the transgender route.
2016-02-01 4:01 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Veteran
Great White North
They monitor the levels and it must meet a specified threshold for a year.
2016-02-01 7:19 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Yes but that is before they are allowed to compete, how about afterwards? Can they just get their medal, reverse their hormone therapy and then go back to living as a man?

2016-02-01 10:32 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Chillin

Yes but that is before they are allowed to compete, how about afterwards? Can they just get their medal, reverse their hormone therapy and then go back to living as a man?

So you think that's what transgender people do?  They become a different gender to win a medal and then switch back?  You do realize that NOT ONE SINGLE PART of the rule has been changed except that transgender folks don't have to have a re-assignment surgery, right? Nothing is different then it has been. It'll be OK.......we'll all survive.  Nobody is going to cheat you out of your next Olympic medal. 

2016-02-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

So you think that's what transgender people do?  They become a different gender to win a medal and then switch back?  You do realize that NOT ONE SINGLE PART of the rule has been changed except that transgender folks don't have to have a re-assignment surgery, right? Nothing is different then it has been. It'll be OK.......we'll all survive.  Nobody is going to cheat you out of your next Olympic medal. 

No of course I don't think that. As I said in my first post I am for this change.And regardless if anyone did do that it wouldn't be a trans person doing it, it would be a non-trans person attempting to take advantage of a loophole. This is the question that goggles asked and I was simply clarifying the response to his question because it didn't answer it.
2016-02-01 10:46 PM

User image

Pro

So you think that's what transgender people do?  They become a different gender to win a medal and then switch back?  You do realize that NOT ONE SINGLE PART of the rule has been changed except that transgender folks don't have to have a re-assignment surgery, right? Nothing is different then it has been. It'll be OK.......we'll all survive.  Nobody is going to cheat you out of your Olympic medal. 

No of course I don't think that. As I said in my first post I am for this change.And regardless if anyone did do that it wouldn't be a trans person doing it, it would be a non-trans person attempting to take advantage of a loophole. This is the question that goggles asked and I was simply clarifying the response to his question because it didn't answer it.

Gotcha.......my bad.   I had this conversation today with a couple of idiots......it carried over.  My apologies.

2016-02-01 10:50 PM

User image

So you think that's what transgender people do?  They become a different gender to win a medal and then switch back?  You do realize that NOT ONE SINGLE PART of the rule has been changed except that transgender folks don't have to have a re-assignment surgery, right? Nothing is different then it has been. It'll be OK.......we'll all survive.  Nobody is going to cheat you out of your Olympic medal. 

Gotcha.......my bad.   I had this conversation today with a couple of idiots......it carried over.  My apologies.

I see, no worries.   My comment that you quoted, when taken on it's own, did read like I thought that.

2016-02-02 6:48 AM

User image

I guess you can add one more idiot to your list. I don't think that's what transgender people do or will do. I do however think there's an idiot out there at some point who will claim to be transgendered, do the therapy to try mad make the games. Maybe I'm just cynical but when I look at the people whoHave cheated in some fashion over the years it makes me question it. I don't think you have to look much farther then Tonya Harding for that type of crazy behaviour. That's why I'm curious how reversible the Hormone therapy is.
2016-02-02 6:56 AM

User image

Also look at the list of countries accused rightly or wrongly of doping or for that matter cycling itself. Professional sports MLB NFL for stupid things people do to their bodies to win. You can take that all the way down to HS football and steroids forStupidity.

2016-02-02 8:36 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I guess you can add one more idiot to your list. I don't think that's what transgender people do or will do. I do however think there's an idiot out there at some point who will claim to be transgendered, do the therapy to try mad make the games. Maybe I'm just cynical but when I look at the people whoHave cheated in some fashion over the years it makes me question it. I don't think you have to look much farther then Tonya Harding for that type of crazy behaviour. That's why I'm curious how reversible the Hormone therapy is.

Trust me, your argument is not close to the idiots I was talking to.  Look, do I think some moron will cheat.....maybe.  But that's not a good enough reason to not do what's right for other people.

2016-02-02 8:48 AM

User image

I get your point and to be clear I'm not saying change the rule and or do away with it.  I just think it's an interesting change to a rule.

2016-02-03 9:38 AM
in reply to: #5164234

one year of hormones just below the what makes you a man level hardly puts you on a fair level with women. what about all the years of extra muscle and extra size that are a result of being a man - it doesnt disappear and suddenly you have a woman's body. you people are putting PC before brains then call everyone idiots. why not do like the athena's and give them their own class? oh thats right, it wouldnt be PC
2016-02-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gotbitten one year of hormones just below the what makes you a man level hardly puts you on a fair level with women. what about all the years of extra muscle and extra size that are a result of being a man - it doesnt disappear and suddenly you have a woman's body. you people are putting PC before brains then call everyone idiots. why not do like the athena's and give them their own class? oh thats right, it wouldnt be PC

HAHAHAHA!!!  I'm probably the least PC person you know.  I have references.

Dude, Athena's are big women, not transgender men.  It's a hard concept I know,  maybe find a 10 year old to explain it to you.

2016-02-03 11:21 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

I've read several articles about this recently and am surprised it hasn't been discussed here. Of course, there are articles praising it and others condemning it. I'm not sure what to think.

the guardian article

the federalist article

What are you torn about exactly? The surgery? Transgender people competing? These two articles aren't really apples to apples anyway. 

In regard to lifting the requirement of the surgery, as simpsonbro said, "They monitor the levels and it must meet a specified threshold for a year."  

There should really be no reason for the surgery. It's wildy expensive and like any surgery, has a risk associated. Most important, the actual surgery isn't what could give them an advantage or disadvantage. 

2016-02-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

the guardian article

the federalist article

What are you torn about exactly? The surgery? Transgender people competing? These two articles aren't really apples to apples anyway. 

In regard to lifting the requirement of the surgery, as simpsonbro said, "They monitor the levels and it must meet a specified threshold for a year."  

There should really be no reason for the surgery. It's wildy expensive and like any surgery, has a risk associated. Most important, the actual surgery isn't what could give them an advantage or disadvantage. 

Not that what I think means anything in the grand scheme of things...

And as LB stated the only thing that has changed is the requirement for surgery, so I guess the point is really moot. I guess what gets me is the idea of fairness.  You yourself have mentioned before that women will always have a significant challenge beating men. Even if a man identifies as a woman and has been taking hormones for however long, she (formerly he) still has the benefit of having the genetic make up and the training as a man for who knows how many years. 

Are there women who may be genetically stronger than other women? Of course but is that a good comparison.  Let's say Lelisa Desisa comes out as transgender, starts hormonal therapy, and gets to the approved levels to compete with the women. He has a clear advantage of having trained with the genetic make up of a man for many years. He will likely have a significant advantage over the other women.

I'm not a doctor, maybe I don't understand the significance of the changes caused by hormones. That's why I asked. As I said, my only thought is "is it fair".

2016-02-03 12:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

the guardian article

the federalist article

Not that what I think means anything in the grand scheme of things...

And as LB stated the only thing that has changed is the requirement for surgery, so I guess the point is really moot. I guess what gets me is the idea of fairness.  You yourself have mentioned before that women will always have a significant challenge beating men. Even if a man identifies as a woman and has been taking hormones for however long, she (formerly he) still has the benefit of having the genetic make up and the training as a man for who knows how many years. 

Are there women who may be genetically stronger than other women? Of course but is that a good comparison.  Let's say Lelisa Desisa comes out as transgender, starts hormonal therapy, and gets to the approved levels to compete with the women. He has a clear advantage of having trained with the genetic make up of a man for many years. He will likely have a significant advantage over the other women.

I'm not a doctor, maybe I don't understand the significance of the changes caused by hormones. That's why I asked. As I said, my only thought is "is it fair".

Yeah, and I think no matter what your chromosomes say, your hormone profile is what matters in terms of fairness. And they have set the term of monitoring the hormone therapy (which isn't like an off/off switch) the changes happen over a long period of time.

The therapy is basically like the opposite of doping. The question then becomes, is it enough to negate the advantages of being biologically male. Both the ICC and the IOC have determined that yes, yes it does. Here is the IAAF link for the conditions: http://media.wix.com/ugd/2bc3fc_476cfbfe00df48c3aa5322a29d5e11b2.pdf A transman would be competing as a man, not a woman and taking testosterone would probably not be any less legal than it would be for male athletes with androgen deficiency to take T, which IS legal with a TUE, provided they stay within the defined ranges. 

2016-02-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Is it even possible to get a TUE for T ?  I thought that was essentially impossible even though the rules say it's available.  Or am I just thinking of triathlon?

2016-02-03 2:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Is it even possible to get a TUE for T ?  I thought that was essentially impossible even though the rules say it's available.  Or am I just thinking of triathlon?

I believe so but I think it is only for hypogonadism. 

2016-02-03 3:12 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Before the hormone therapy, followed by the surgery, there are tons of preparation and consultation. Before the person can be even admitted to the process, he/she has to for a period of time (I believe it's one year) live a life as if he/she was an opposite gender. This is to test if that person would be able and capable of to live with this kind of environment and the way people of the community, family, work environment react. This period is closely monitored. And there is number of people who do not pass this phase for various of reasons. Once the person actually go through this and is confident with proceeding, then the hormone therapy kicks in. And again, there is a number of folks who drop from that stage as well. So those who actually get to the final point - which is the surgery - it's a handful of people from those who had started the process.
Do you think somebody would go through all those years and hassle, and discrimination, and any obstacles there could be, just so they can ask for reversal...?
I guess somebody may be so obsessed of getting a medal, but what are the chances.

2016-02-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
From biological anthropology perspective, men are faster than women because of the skeleton. There is some physics involved, but basically, the whole thing with female hip bones designed to hold pregnancy and give a birth unable us to keep up with a different skeletal structure. I can see how this could be the argument in the male-to-female discussion.
2016-02-03 3:30 PM

User image

"I guess somebody may be so obsessed of getting a medal, but what are the chances."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_East_Germany

I think the chances are better then people want to imagine, albeit still small.  But Asalzwed gave a pretty good explanation of what goes on with the process.  My questioning around it was more if someone, not someone identifying as transgendered, but rather someone looking for an advantage could go through the process.  Then later simply stop and the effects easily reverse themselves.  That's why I was curious about how it all worked.

2016-02-03 3:30 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marysia83

From biological anthropology perspective, men are faster than women because of the skeleton. There is some physics involved, but basically, the whole thing with female hip bones designed to hold pregnancy and give a birth unable us to keep up with a different skeletal structure. I can see how this could be the argument in the male-to-female discussion.

I believe men also have larger lung capacity then women, this will not change with hormone therapy.

So a male on hormone therapy competing as a women still has an advantage right?
2016-02-03 3:39 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

"I guess somebody may be so obsessed of getting a medal, but what are the chances."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_East_Germany

I think the chances are better then people want to imagine, albeit still small.  But Asalzwed gave a pretty good explanation of what goes on with the process.  My questioning around it was more if someone, not someone identifying as transgendered, but rather someone looking for an advantage could go through the process.  Then later simply stop and the effects easily reverse themselves.  That's why I was curious about how it all worked.

The process to actually be scheduled for a surgery is long and there are certain approvals required. Or at least that was the case when I learned about it in school. So for example, if somebody completed their first phase and the hormone phase, he is still under psychologist supervision, and that doctor may deny the request. I don't quite remember if that is before therapy or surgery, but I know that the doctor has to provide the approval. So I think for the very obsessed person it could be hard to cheat the bunch of doctors on how much he/she needs to have the surgery.

Once again, things on this process could have changed since I had it in school (which was last year).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IOC and transgender athletes Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Transgender Ironman Blog Pages: 1 2

Started by Trigirl91
Views: 7071 Posts: 46

2013-11-03 1:47 PM Trigirl91

Anyone interested in a masters athlete / older athlete forum? Pages: 1 2

Started by TriAya
Views: 3249 Posts: 33

2011-02-28 8:16 AM monkeyboy64

Athlete's Plate v/s Athlete's Palate

Started by ditchdoc
Views: 2276 Posts: 5

2011-03-07 12:22 PM ditchdoc

Triathlete Mag - 6 Months of Athlete Development

Started by Whit
Views: 573 Posts: 2

2004-09-25 1:55 PM fcarter389

PTC Triathlon Athlete Booklet for Aug 28th's Race

Started by Motivated
Views: 641 Posts: 7

2004-08-26 1:23 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
As an athlete, you are unlikely obese, but you may have concerns about your weight or have relatives who struggle with their weight.

date : October 20, 2008
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.
date : September 3, 2005
The purpose of this article is to look at caffeine (most commonly consumed as coffee) as part of a sports diet and to help you determine whether you want to take it or leave it.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?
date : January 24, 2005
author : AMSSM
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : December 13, 2004
author : malvey
Advice on how to get started with a fitness lifestyle - for parents and grandparents.

date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
comments : 1
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?