Other Resources The Political Joe » President Obama will not attend Justice Scalia's funeral..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-02-17 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: President Obama will not attend Justice Scalia's funeral.....

what say you??

I think he's missing an opportunity to at least show the will to find some common ground.  I don't like the idea of a sitting President missing the funeral of a sitting Supreme Court Justice.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-17 2:38 PM

2016-02-17 3:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: President Obama will not attend Justice Scalia's funeral.....
That's the obama legacy I'll remember. Prolly conflicts with his tee time. I can't wait till this infantile pantywaist is out of office.
2016-02-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

It really depends on his reasoning.  I personally think that Scalia was a terrible person.  While I feel bad for his family that they lost a loved one my sympathy ends there.  I think our country will be better off with out him serving as a Justice.  I would not attend his funeral, nor would I participate in any official mourning activities. 

Part of my wants to believe that it's for his (Obamas) convictions and moral standings, but I don't think that's the case. 

2016-02-17 3:47 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah, at a time of great division like we are in now, I think it's his duty to show the way......to lead and be a leader.  I'm disappointed.

2016-02-17 4:53 PM

New user
Not surprised one bit. Mr. Obama has no respect for anyone who disagrees with him. I'll be glad when our petulant child of a president is back in Hawaii for good.
2016-02-17 5:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Justin86

It really depends on his reasoning.  I personally think that Scalia was a terrible person.  While I feel bad for his family that they lost a loved one my sympathy ends there.  I think our country will be better off with out him serving as a Justice.  I would not attend his funeral, nor would I participate in any official mourning activities.

To me, it's part of the reason we are stuck where we are.  Some things you just do because it's the right thing, whether or not you agree with it. The older I get the more I realize that goes for most things in life.  Our President should show leadership in that regard IMO.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-17 5:15 PM

2016-02-17 5:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I have no idea why that posted so screwed up....I bolded my comment

Edited by Left Brain 2016-02-17 5:15 PM
2016-02-17 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

what say you??

I think he's missing an opportunity to at least show the will to find some common ground.  I don't like the idea of a sitting President missing the funeral of a sitting Supreme Court Justice.

i'm 99% sure he is going to the viewing or whatever this friday at the supreme court....

2016-02-17 6:00 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

what say you??

i'm 99% sure he is going to the viewing or whatever this friday at the supreme court....

I saw that.....but it's not his neighbor down the street.  LOL  

He is the President of the United States, we are burying a Supreme Court Justice of the United States.  The President goes......especially in these times of discord.  That's being a leader.

2016-02-17 10:34 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by dmiller5

what say you??

I saw that.....but it's not his neighbor down the street.  LOL  

He is the President of the United States, we are burying a Supreme Court Justice of the United States.  The President goes......especially in these times of discord.  That's being a leader.

Is it really? I honestly don't know what the tradition is. What I do know is that if he did attend, you know darn well the conspiracy theorists would have a field day with those photos.

I'd also like to know what the average turnaround is on confirming an appointment to the High Court...is the average over or under 11 months? I don't know, but I'd bet the under.

2016-02-18 5:08 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

There are few statesman left in Washington, Obama has never been one of them.

2016-02-18 10:30 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Do we know for certain that his family wants Obama there? Given their stark political differences, it's not out of the question that his family wouldn't welcome him. An article I read said that the president has been in attendance at 4 out of the last 7 scotus funerals.
Regardless, I'm surprised he's not going; I assumed it was a given.
2016-02-18 11:26 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Justin86

It really depends on his reasoning. 

I would agree with this but I think he really should make every effort to be there. Honestly not sure what reason he could have not be there unless he is out of the country and just can not get back due to logistics. Just like if Obama died I would expect Scalia to be there.
2016-02-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Do we know for certain that his family wants Obama there? Given their stark political differences, it's not out of the question that his family wouldn't welcome him. An article I read said that the president has been in attendance at 4 out of the last 7 scotus funerals.
Regardless, I'm surprised he's not going; I assumed it was a given.

Dude…

I'm pretty sure that the family would be able to put on their big boy pants and 'allow' obama to attend. Political views aside, he is the POTUS and what would they say? No, we don't want him there? If there was even a whiff of that being true, the media would be reporting it 24/7 to cover for obamas errant decision making on this matter.
2016-02-18 12:00 PM

User image

Pro

I really don't get all of this partisan crap with regards to President Obama and a Supreme Court Justice who has died.  Yes, I understand that we have conservative and liberal judges......but they are NOT politicians.  They apply the law based on their interpretation of the law.  The don't run for office, they don't make decisions based on getting votes or making people happy.  They are Judges.

I think it's weak for President Obama not to attend....it's especially weak if it's for partisan reasons.

2016-02-18 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I can't wrap my head around it either.  That being said, he isn't the first president to not attend a Supreme Court Justices funeral.  I read somewhere that Clinton missed one or two and I think I read Bush Sr. missed one. 

Still, in today's partisan climate I think the proper thing to do would have been to attend. 

2016-02-18 3:10 PM

User image

I really don't get all of this partisan crap with regards to President Obama and a Supreme Court Justice who has died.  Yes, I understand that we have conservative and liberal judges......but they are NOT politicians.  They apply the law based on their interpretation of the law.  The don't run for office, they don't make decisions based on getting votes or making people happy.  They are Judges.

I think it's weak for President Obama not to attend....it's especially weak if it's for partisan reasons.

100% agree with you.

I'd be especially bothered if in fact it WAS for partisan reasons.   If he had some other state commitment (no idea) I could kind of understand scheduling issues. But because he disagrees with Scalia?  (and, in fact, the role of Supreme Court judges is supposed to be countermajoritarian)

2016-02-19 10:09 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Agree!  He should go. 

2016-02-22 9:30 PM

User image

what say you??

Maybe the family, privately, asked that he not attend?

2016-02-22 9:30 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I was genuinely trying to give Obama the benefit of the doubt on this whole thing.

Then I just saw this...  /sigh

http://www.infowars.com/video-obama-cracks-joke-about-scalias-death/

2016-02-23 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I was out of the country on vacation in Chile went this all went down, but am a bit surprised that he didn't go. Personally, and especially as there is not a firm precedent, I don't really care. He sent Biden to represent the Executive Branch and paid his respects with Michelle when the body was at the Supreme Court, which all sounds fine to me. His attendance or not would not have moved the needle on the divisiveness in the country one iota.

On a side note, Chile is awesome and I'd recommend it to anyone as a great travel destination. It is sad, though, that I was right across the bay in a rented house from this resort, as it has the longest pool in the world at 3,323 feet long and I didn't visit and swim a few laps :-( It is, I would say, really an ugly cement eyesore as seen from the ocean however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Alfonso_del_Mar

2016-02-23 4:39 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Originally posted by tuwood

I was genuinely trying to give Obama the benefit of the doubt on this whole thing.

Tony, are you serious? Please tell me you are joking.
When you post a link to Alex Nut Case Jones' Info Wars, then apparently agree with them that somehow what the president said was a joke at Scalia's expense, wow, just wow.

Even the most Right of Righties would agree that was not a crack about Scalia's death. It was a jibe at the obstructionists on the Right who have gone on record saying the President should not do his job...a job which includes nominating Supreme Court Justices.

Listen, I get it. Conservatives don't want a liberal replacing Scalia. Well, just do what Trump recommends, "Delay, delay, delay."
The President will do his job...hopefully Congress follows suit.
2016-02-23 6:40 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Tony, are you serious? Please tell me you are joking. When you post a link to Alex Nut Case Jones' Info Wars, then apparently agree with them that somehow what the president said was a joke at Scalia's expense, wow, just wow. Even the most Right of Righties would agree that was not a crack about Scalia's death. It was a jibe at the obstructionists on the Right who have gone on record saying the President should not do his job...a job which includes nominating Supreme Court Justices. Listen, I get it. Conservatives don't want a liberal replacing Scalia. Well, just do what Trump recommends, "Delay, delay, delay." The President will do his job...hopefully Congress follows suit.

I actually support the democrats on this.  They're the ones who said we should wait for the next president in an election year.  

in all seriousness i'm more liberal than conservative when it comes to judges so i'd likely prefer obamas choice.

2016-02-23 6:59 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Tony, are you serious? Please tell me you are joking. When you post a link to Alex Nut Case Jones' Info Wars, then apparently agree with them that somehow what the president said was a joke at Scalia's expense, wow, just wow. Even the most Right of Righties would agree that was not a crack about Scalia's death. It was a jibe at the obstructionists on the Right who have gone on record saying the President should not do his job...a job which includes nominating Supreme Court Justices. Listen, I get it. Conservatives don't want a liberal replacing Scalia. Well, just do what Trump recommends, "Delay, delay, delay." The President will do his job...hopefully Congress follows suit.

I actually support the democrats on this.  They're the ones who said we should wait for the next president in an election year.  

Yeah, but that was when a Republican was in the White House, so it's totally different. Duh.
2016-02-23 7:18 PM

User image

Pro

If our process allows for delaying then it is what it is.  Look, we have a Republican congress.....the people spoke.  DELAY!!!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » President Obama will not attend Justice Scalia's funeral..... Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I applaud President Obama...

Started by Left Brain
Views: 593 Posts: 2

2015-12-20 8:22 PM tuwood

Putin vs. President Obama

Started by Left Brain
Views: 636 Posts: 7

2015-09-29 10:29 AM Left Brain

Obama eulogy at Rev. Pinckney funeral

Started by Left Brain
Views: 506 Posts: 2

2015-06-26 6:58 PM jmk-brooklyn

First female Marines attend infantry course

Started by lisac957
Views: 1362 Posts: 14

2013-10-01 7:50 PM BrianRunsPhilly

Justices rule on SSM Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by switch
Views: 8085 Posts: 158

2013-07-05 12:19 AM bootygirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : June 7, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 3
Clearing my head after failing to finish
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : May 6, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on increasing your swim pace, free golf, bilateral breathing, paddle or fin usage, to kick or not to kick, dizziness, ocean swims and sighting.

date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.