in reply to: metafizx

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Unsolicited Swimming Advice
Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by nc452010

Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.

My response was intended to be read in a 1920's movie gangster's voice...did that not land? I guess it was funnier in my head.

The Francis reference sailed right over my head by the way.

Anyway...off to the pool, and don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone, or try to help. I'm not holding the door open for anyone either.

I thought it was from 3 Stooges...haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yscaDkzHqek

Oh man....I can't even get my own references right...that's where it is from. Never mind on unsolicited advice. I'm a mess.

2016-02-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Have never given advice at the pool that wasn't asked for. Most at this pool don't really care and just want to be in the water and go back & forth a few times.

Me welcoming unsolicited advice would depend on both my mood (being receptive to it) and belief in how well the other knows what they're doing. Good luck with that in the middle of a hard set.

Have received it once, but didn't understand what the guy meant. It was for breaststroke anyway. I was trying to work at a part of it knowing that it wasn't how the stroke was really supposed to go.

2016-02-25 4:02 PM

, Tennessee

[

I guess those are some of the situations. If I go swim at lunch, like I will shortly, I will be swimming at 1:20/100m pace with those around me likely 2:00-2:30/100m pace. In that I will feel a lot of stares, and most of the time they are doing something obviously wrong. I just never know if the stare is trying to figure out what I'm doing, or like "eff that guy" type of a thing.

• I am a slow swimmer (1:50-2:00 / 100 over a couple thousand yards) and would welcome advice IF I knew that the person knew what he/she was talking about which I can't really tell with the occasional glance over the lane divider. When I am doing my own thing, particularly hard sets with little rest, I pay little attention to what is going on in the lane next to me. I can't really tell if your going 1:20/100 or 2:00/100 unless we happen to push off the wall at the same time.

I know some things with my stroke need fixing so I would probably be more welcoming of specific advice regarding my particular flaws rather than general stuff. If I am in the middle of a set with specified short rest times I would probably get irritated at the interruption though.Catch me as I am getting in or getting out of the water. I am working with a coach to improve so I would also check anything some stranger told me with him before trying to implement it myself. (I have overheard some strange things at the pool!).
    2016-02-25 4:05 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by brigby1

Have never given advice at the pool that wasn't asked for. Most at this pool don't really care and just want to be in the water and go back & forth a few times.

Me welcoming unsolicited advice would depend on both my mood (being receptive to it) and belief in how well the other knows what they're doing. Good luck with that in the middle of a hard set.

Have received it once, but didn't understand what the guy meant. It was for breaststroke anyway. I was trying to work at a part of it knowing that it wasn't how the stroke was really supposed to go.

You would not be the type of person I would offer advice to. I'm talking about people that aren't in the ballpark and are struggling. Not people with a good stroke and one little thing that may need worked on, that's for a coach. This is about people that are either really new or never had any sort of formal training and are doing REALLY blatant things REALLY wrong causing them a lot of heartache. Stuff that is just hanging out there. If someone like me offered someone like you unsolicited advice that would just be weird. You probably have a better stroke than I do.

These aren't people that would be doing a real hard set. These are poeple that are having a hard time getting to the other side of the pool.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-25 4:06 PM
    2016-02-25 4:06 PM
    in reply to: nc452010

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by nc452010 Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.

Stripes right?  Lighten up Francis

As for the OP, the other day someone was swimming in the lane beside and his legs were dropping at what seemed like a 45 degree angle. He was just plowing water and making no progress.

Lately I've been working on raising my legs and could have shared a few tips I received, but I'm not breaking any records myself and so didn't want to sound like a jerk.  Who knows, maybe he was just there to get in some exercise and could care less how fast he was. 

2016-02-25 4:20 PM

Master
    Northern IL

You would not be the type of person I would offer advice to. I'm talking about people that aren't in the ballpark and are struggling. Not people with a good stroke and one little thing that may need worked on, that's for a coach. This is about people that are either really new or never had any sort of formal training and are doing REALLY blatant things REALLY wrong causing them a lot of heartache. Stuff that is just hanging out there. If someone like me offered someone like you unsolicited advice that would just be weird. You probably have a better stroke than I do. These aren't people that would be doing a real hard set. These are poeple that are having a hard time getting to the other side of the pool.

You haven't seen me try to breaststroke. (Not that much of an exaggeration)

In the very early going it may not have been much better than what you're describing. Think my reaction would still have been the same. Didn't realize how big the gap was. However, if someone had managed to start up a conversation and it lead into skills, difficulty swimming or something, then I likely would have been more receptive. I don't know about just suddenly giving advice outright, but if you break the ice with some sort of conversation and then give them the opportunity to ask something it would likely go over much better. People can find it intimidating to talk to others sometime. Especially if they are a lot better at something.

Edited by brigby1 2016-02-25 4:22 PM

2016-02-25 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
    Fort Riley, Kansas
    I would say no unless you are friendly with that person, they know you, and they are aware that you are an excellent swimmer

With that being said, I'll admit that I am a lousy swimmer, but I honestly just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve. I swim the bare minimum. Anyway, I lost count of how many times people have stopped me in the middle of my flailing to give me unsolicited swim advice, and it makes me angry every time. Its so funny that they will give this advice, and I'm only half listening in hopes they will go away, and then they will stand on the pool deck and watch to see if I am taking their unsolicited advice, but I keep on flailing. I had to start wearing waterproof headphones and blare it loud so people will stop bothering me, seems to be working
    2016-02-25 4:27 PM
    in reply to: Lupy

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by Lupy I wish people would give more unsolicited advice! I'll just sit at the end of the lane underwater watching the fast people hoping they will notice and say something. I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten any advice from them. There was this one guy though that gave me advice and he was swimming way slower than me. I can't remember what it was or if I followed it, but I remember it being odd since he wasn't doing all that great. Even though I wish more people would give it I still don't give it to random people that I see with issues. If its someone I know we will talk about it. Swimming seems like a very individual thing. Half the time I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone just to ask them a question.

Have had someone blatantly sit underwater trying to study me before. Found it rather creepy and tended to stay away from that person. I'm not really that much into conversation, but this was much more weird than a quick comment or question may have been annoying. Most everyone sees and notices each other to some extent. That just went well beyond normal observation though.

2016-02-25 5:01 PM

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

I've done it a couple of times to friends but only after watching them for a loooong time and knowing that they truely wanted to improve.  I would never do it to someone I didn't know well.

2016-02-25 6:25 PM
    in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by jillian_o

I would say no unless you are friendly with that person, they know you, and they are aware that you are an excellent swimmer

With that being said, I'll admit that I am a lousy swimmer, but I honestly just swim to get to my bike and I don't care to improve. I swim the bare minimum. Anyway, I lost count of how many times people have stopped me in the middle of my flailing to give me unsolicited swim advice, and it makes me angry every time. Its so funny that they will give this advice, and I'm only half listening in hopes they will go away, and then they will stand on the pool deck and watch to see if I am taking their unsolicited advice, but I keep on flailing. I had to start wearing waterproof headphones and blare it loud so people will stop bothering me, seems to be working

I would be flattered if someone was willing to take time out of their day to help me. Whenever anyone has assisted me, whether on here, or in person, I've always been appreciative. Even at times when the advice was bad, or from someone that was not qualified. In the world we live in I relish when someone goes out of their way for me, with no expectations. That's just me though. There are a lot of rude, nasty and bad people out there if you want to be annoyed by someone.
    2016-02-25 6:27 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
    So today at the pool, there was a perfect example. The guy next to me was obviously struggling, and obviously watching me. Starting at the same time I was and flailing wildly to try to keep up (making it about 10 yards) before stopping and walking back to the wall. He was a mess, but trying, and obviously trying to figure stuff out. I didn't say anything.

2016-02-25 6:37 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar So today at the pool, there was a perfect example. The guy next to me was obviously struggling, and obviously watching me. Starting at the same time I was and flailing wildly to try to keep up (making it about 10 yards) before stopping and walking back to the wall. He was a mess, but trying, and obviously trying to figure stuff out. I didn't say anything.

Just as well.....he'd of probably asked for your background and 3 references just to tell him to keep his elbow up.

2016-02-25 6:43 PM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by 3mar So today at the pool, there was a perfect example. The guy next to me was obviously struggling, and obviously watching me. Starting at the same time I was and flailing wildly to try to keep up (making it about 10 yards) before stopping and walking back to the wall. He was a mess, but trying, and obviously trying to figure stuff out. I didn't say anything.

Just as well.....he'd of probably asked for your background and 3 references just to tell him to keep his elbow up.

First concern would have been keeping himself up! It was pretty bad.

Well, this thread is about what I figured, which is exactly why I don't speak up. All the nastiness in the world and the overwhelming consensus is you are a douche for trying to help.

If I'm swimming 1:20/100m (1:12/100 yds for the majority here) and someone is struggling to break 2:00, there are probably two or three pointers that could REALLY help. Just trying to be nice. Oh Well. It's like you said LB, if they don't ask, eff it.

Of course, I'm the guy who has stopped twice mid-ride to help change someone's flat on their car. I guess I shouldn't have presumed there either...never mind the rant, I'm just annoyed.
    2016-02-25 7:49 PM

Master
    Northern IL

First concern would have been keeping himself up! It was pretty bad. Well, this thread is about what I figured, which is exactly why I don't speak up. All the nastiness in the world and the overwhelming consensus is you are a douche for trying to help. If I'm swimming 1:20/100m (1:12/100 yds for the majority here) and someone is struggling to break 2:00, there are probably two or three pointers that could REALLY help. Just trying to be nice. Oh Well. It's like you said LB, if they don't ask, eff it. Of course, I'm the guy who has stopped twice mid-ride to help change someone's flat on their car. I guess I shouldn't have presumed there either...never mind the rant, I'm just annoyed.

Condescending jerk, always looking to assert your superiority ...

2016-02-25 8:29 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

First concern would have been keeping himself up! It was pretty bad. Well, this thread is about what I figured, which is exactly why I don't speak up. All the nastiness in the world and the overwhelming consensus is you are a douche for trying to help. If I'm swimming 1:20/100m (1:12/100 yds for the majority here) and someone is struggling to break 2:00, there are probably two or three pointers that could REALLY help. Just trying to be nice. Oh Well. It's like you said LB, if they don't ask, eff it. Of course, I'm the guy who has stopped twice mid-ride to help change someone's flat on their car. I guess I shouldn't have presumed there either...never mind the rant, I'm just annoyed.

Well, see if I ever give you any advice

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-25 8:29 PM
    2016-02-25 8:55 PM

User image

Pro

Well, see if I ever give you any advice

If I saw you on the side of the road and you were annoyed........I would stop and give you a hug.

2016-02-26 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Silicon Valley

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Stuartap Only once. There was a young lady struggling mightily in the lane next to me. When we were both stopped at the end on the pool I asked I she would like some friendly advice that I thought might help. It turned out well. She thanked me for the advice and was clearly trying to implement what I shared. She thanked me again a few days later saying it was making a difference. I don't think I would make any fine tune suggestions to a competent swimmer unsolicited but this was a clear novice struggling more than she needed to. That's the distinction I have made.
    This is exactly the type of situation I am talking about. Where you see someone struggling in the water and can help them greatly by correcting some things. I can't imagine anyone asking for help from an advanced swimmer. Putting myself in their situation, I wouldn't want to bother someone that looked serious. (although, I rarely get mistaken as being serious about anything)

Key words here being "young lady."   Let's not go ascribing altruistic motives here all willy nilly. 

Actually, that is a situation where I'd stay away from, becuase I'd assume, that she'd assume I was hitting on her or something. I'd be more inclined to offer advice to a 45 y/o dude.

Actually not the case. The young lady was indeed young, early teens, there with her dad. I am 60. Sorry to disappoint but no ulterior motive.
    2016-02-26 8:12 AM

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    Not to adults, with one exception that I ended up kind of regretting. I was at a conference in Malaysia and it happened to be at a resort with an excellent 50-meter pool. I decided to swim a few kilometers, and happened upon a couple of middle-aged local guys (the pool was also used by a country/sports club) trying to learn flip turns. They kept hitting their heads on the wall and I felt sorry for them. Somehow it evolved into a full-on "class" with about ten "students" of all ages from 8 to 80 learning flip turns, and I didn't get in much of a swim myself!

Normally I'm not that forthcoming. I'm kind of shy, usually pretty focused on my own workout, and figure not everyone's ready to understand/accept the advice, and I don't have formal training in coaching anyway. I have been assistant swim coach for our school team in the past, so I do advise my current and former students/athletes if I see something easily teachable that could help. It's often not even stroke technique per se, but things like pacing and breathing. (Some of them breathe way too often in a 25m, for example, or don't know how to pace the longer events; one poor child was trying to breathe every 3-4 strokes in the 100 fly and it was killing her!) Since I am (or was) their teacher or coach, they're used to me giving them unsolicited advice anyway!
    2016-02-26 9:25 AM
    in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
    Southampton, Ontario
    I have received advice on crossing over by a life guard and I appreciated it. I have also tried to help a friend who is a beginner swimmer but I am somewhat limited in the advice I can give as Im not exactly blazing up and down the pool either.
    2016-02-26 9:52 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas

If I saw you on the side of the road and you were annoyed........I would stop and give you a hug.

Well that happens every time I look down at my power output. I could use a hug and someone to tell me that it's probably not calibrated properly, and who need that know-it-all PM anyway.
    2016-02-26 10:15 AM

I confess, I did not have the time to read all the posts. I saw some regarding unsolicited advice. All I can say is that I would welcome it. If I saw that the person was smooth in the pool, piling up yards effortlessly, basically looking like they really knew how to swim, for sure. I have often wanted to ask lifeguards what they thought of my stroke, but that would be selfish. They aren't there to look at me. (unless I am drowning) I have been self trained in every discipline since the get go, and I freely admit this has cost me. But I am OK with it. I do love getting advice here, and watching videos and reading books like Friel's T-Bible.
    Happy Friday all!
    Barry

2016-02-26 11:55 AM
    in reply to: Scott71

User image

Expert
    Pfafftown, NC
    Originally posted by Scott71

Originally posted by nc452010 Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.

Stripes right?  Lighten up Francis

As for the OP, the other day someone was swimming in the lane beside and his legs were dropping at what seemed like a 45 degree angle. He was just plowing water and making no progress.

Lately I've been working on raising my legs and could have shared a few tips I received, but I'm not breaking any records myself and so didn't want to sound like a jerk.  Who knows, maybe he was just there to get in some exercise and could care less how fast he was. 

Yes sir.
    2016-02-26 2:42 PM

User image

I stink at everything, so no, I'm not going to offer anyone any unsolicited advice, especially swimming.
    2016-02-29 10:31 AM

User image

New user
    Manassas, Virginia
    I like to consider myself a fairly competent swimmer (I have coached club, high school, and summer teams as well), but I would not provide unsolicited advice. I believe that if people wanted it, they would ask.

However, there was a lady who did swim lessons at a pool I used to work at (and by that I mean she made a living off them, $50/half hour -- she grossed over $100k/year). Her clientele consisted mostly of younger kids who needed some confidence in the water and basic skills, and she was great with them.

What bothered me was the things she would say to the older kids who did lessons with her (most of whom already swam club). "Always breathe on the first stroke off the wall" or "Don't bother with underwater dolphin kicks, get to the surface and start swimming" were common phrases she would spew. I gave her unsolicited advice because I felt like she was doing the kids a disservice.
    2016-03-05 9:27 PM
    in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    the only time I've done this recently is when I saw a young man attempting to swim combat side stroke. I knew from the stroke that he was trying to train to get into BUDS training, so I asked him if that was his goal. He said yes, and I asked if he minded if I gave him a tip.

I've since run into him and his father at the pool about 4 times and each time he looks better and better. After the first tip I gave him, he comfortably beat the initial qualifying time he needed, and so was practicing to get even faster.

But I only did it because I was certain of his goal, and that he was far from it, and knew how important it was...and I also asked him if he minded first.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Swimming Advice Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

do you ever give unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by clemson05
    Views: 1759 Posts: 28

2014-04-14 8:58 PM Swimaway

Give unsolicited advice?

Started by DiOnMaui
    Views: 1612 Posts: 21

2011-02-13 7:10 PM Paddy1

Unsolicited swimming advice worked today

Started by TriPatrick
    Views: 779 Posts: 1

2009-10-21 7:47 PM TriPatrick

Unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
    Views: 2435 Posts: 38

2009-09-03 3:18 PM neuronet

Unsolicited swimming critique

Started by BrianK
    Views: 1275 Posts: 11

2009-07-28 9:43 PM jtaddei
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 30, 2016
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : September 13, 2011
    author : garyhallsr
    comments : 2
    What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
    date : July 18, 2011
    author : garyhallsr
    comments : 5
    World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : January 20, 2011
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 3
    Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
    date : June 14, 2010
    author : Oakley
    In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : January 8, 2010
    In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
    date : October 9, 2009
    In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
    author : peteo
    comments : 4
    Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???