General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Swimming Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-02-25 9:42 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Unsolicited Swimming Advice
Another post made me think of this; do you ever provide unsolicited advice in the pool? I've been tempted 1,000 times when I see people with GLARINGLY obvious issues with their stroke and struggling through the water. Or even people that are getting back and forth ok, but could correct one or two things and see monster improvements. It's just low hanging fruit sitting there waiting to get picked and it could really help them. I'd love to be able to help someone like that. I've always been concerned it would offend someone so I never speak up. Has anyone ever done that in the pool? I personally love getting input on my stroke, although it is rare that someone will speak up, coaches included. It's free speed in my opinion.

2016-02-25 10:11 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Unsolicited Swimming Advice
Unsolicited only if a glaring problem and I know them well and I know they want to be a better swimmer and not just having some fun in the water. I have been asked for help many times though and give what little I can.
2016-02-25 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar Another post made me think of this; do you ever provide unsolicited advice in the pool? I've been tempted 1,000 times when I see people with GLARINGLY obvious issues with their stroke and struggling through the water. Or even people that are getting back and forth ok, but could correct one or two things and see monster improvements. It's just low hanging fruit sitting there waiting to get picked and it could really help them. I'd love to be able to help someone like that. I've always been concerned it would offend someone so I never speak up. Has anyone ever done that in the pool? I personally love getting input on my stroke, although it is rare that someone will speak up, coaches included. It's free speed in my opinion.

I think as long as you come across as helpful and not conceited, and only if they are actually interested in hearing it. Nobody likes a know it all, but people will be more open to advice if you make it sound like you really just want to help them improve. If they get pissy about it, whatever. 

2016-02-25 10:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 3mar

Another post made me think of this; do you ever provide unsolicited advice in the pool? I've been tempted 1,000 times when I see people with GLARINGLY obvious issues with their stroke and struggling through the water. Or even people that are getting back and forth ok, but could correct one or two things and see monster improvements. It's just low hanging fruit sitting there waiting to get picked and it could really help them. I'd love to be able to help someone like that. I've always been concerned it would offend someone so I never speak up. Has anyone ever done that in the pool? I personally love getting input on my stroke, although it is rare that someone will speak up, coaches included. It's free speed in my opinion.

I would not for a simple reason : I would not want to receive it unless I knew the competence of the person providing it.
Unfortunately there is a lot of bad info out there.
I only take advice from sources that have been properly vetted. Maybe that's just me
2016-02-25 10:21 AM

User image

Never.  More then happy to help if someone asks.  If I see someone peeking or looking over I will make eye contact to see if they want to ask something.  Unless it's an older person water walking then I know I'm about to get yelled at for splashing them.

2016-02-25 10:31 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Never. More then happy to help if someone asks. If I see someone peeking or looking over I will make eye contact to see if they want to ask something. Unless it's an older person water walking then I know I'm about to get yelled at for splashing them.

I guess those are some of the situations. If I go swim at lunch, like I will shortly, I will be swimming at 1:20/100m pace with those around me likely 2:00-2:30/100m pace. In that I will feel a lot of stares, and most of the time they are doing something obviously wrong. I just never know if the stare is trying to figure out what I'm doing, or like "eff that guy" type of a thing.

Originally posted by marcag

I would not for a simple reason : I would not want to receive it unless I knew the competence of the person providing it.
Unfortunately there is a lot of bad info out there.
I only take advice from sources that have been properly vetted. Maybe that's just me

I'm thinking that if someone is swimming twice your speed, that would qualify them in most people's mind. If someone is swimming faster than me, I'd certainly listen to what they'd have to say. As noted, I can feel people looking at me if I go outside of masters times. I'm also talking in a very non-confrontational or upity way.

It really comes down to a lot of people in the pool could see such significant gains so easily just by making some small corrections. It's very tempting to help them. Like seeing someone struggling to open a door with arms full of groceries and just walking by like...not my problem. That's how I feel anyway.

2016-02-25 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Couple years ago I got some unsolicited advice from the guy I was sharing a lane with. He was crazy fast, and when we talked, it turned out he'd trained alongside Spitz back in the day. He told me to keep my elbow high, and I thanked him, but I really had no idea what he was talking about, and I was afraid of seeming stupid.
I wouldn't say no to good advice on my stroke now, but on the flip side, please don't bug me when I'm obviously looking at the pace clock or otherwise gasping between descending sets. Maybe if I was swimming on a weekend afternoon....but during the morning rush? I know I need the swim help, but I will totally blow you off to get to work on time.
2016-02-25 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
No. But some knucklehead the other day told me to shave my arms........except leave the hair on the insides of my forearms.
2016-02-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by nc452010

No. But some knucklehead the other day told me to shave my arms........except leave the hair on the insides of my forearms.

A wise guy...eh?
2016-02-25 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.
2016-02-25 11:08 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Katy, Texas

My response was intended to be read in a 1920's movie gangster's voice...did that not land? I guess it was funnier in my head.

The Francis reference sailed right over my head by the way.

Anyway...off to the pool, and don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone, or try to help. I'm not holding the door open for anyone either.

2016-02-25 11:13 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar Another post made me think of this; do you ever provide unsolicited advice in the pool? I've been tempted 1,000 times when I see people with GLARINGLY obvious issues with their stroke and struggling through the water. Or even people that are getting back and forth ok, but could correct one or two things and see monster improvements. It's just low hanging fruit sitting there waiting to get picked and it could really help them. I'd love to be able to help someone like that. I've always been concerned it would offend someone so I never speak up. Has anyone ever done that in the pool? I personally love getting input on my stroke, although it is rare that someone will speak up, coaches included. It's free speed in my opinion.
I would not for a simple reason : I would not want to receive it unless I knew the competence of the person providing it. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad info out there. I only take advice from sources that have been properly vetted. Maybe that's just me

There's also a lot of very simple concepts out there that a newbie doesn't have a clue about.......a new triathlete taking advice from someone who is flying up and down the pool lane doesn't need references......he needs help swimming.  It's swimming, not a lunar landing.

That being said......no, I wouldn't do it unsolicited.  If someone doesn't care to ask then I don't care what they're doing.

2016-02-25 11:30 AM

Obviously....it depends on the environment....people like me would love it.
I mostly swim at a gym.
You can tell who the triathletes are (generally an IM water bottle in the lane, lots of extra gear like fins/floats for working on 'kicks' or something, a swim cap from some race), and pretty much sticking to crawl.
You can tell who the swimmers are. Generic swim cap, usually no extra gear, and switching up strokes.
You can tell the people are who are just doing some swimming for general fitness. (using a noodle, regular trunks on the guys, often no swim cap, or the ones with the dangly things and textured like my Mom used to wear.

I generally fall into the first category (sans extra gear and IM water bottle).
I'd welcome any unsolicited advice.
I had an older lady one time say that I had a nice stroke. (insert Michael Scott drop here). At that point I started asking for advice. She was a swim coach back in the day. I mined her for what I could. So....maybe that's a good opening. Offer some nugget of positive evaluation. It's a signal that you know what you're talking about. Then if they ask, it's not unsolicited.

If I had advice to give, I wouldn't offer advice to the straight up swimmers (I think they're a different breed) or the casual folks.

In a masters swim type thing....or a tri-training swim? I got nothing. I've never done any of that except an open open-water swim here or there. I don't know how they work.
2016-02-25 11:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I wish people would give more unsolicited advice! I'll just sit at the end of the lane underwater watching the fast people hoping they will notice and say something. I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten any advice from them. There was this one guy though that gave me advice and he was swimming way slower than me. I can't remember what it was or if I followed it, but I remember it being odd since he wasn't doing all that great. Even though I wish more people would give it I still don't give it to random people that I see with issues. If its someone I know we will talk about it. Swimming seems like a very individual thing. Half the time I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone just to ask them a question.
2016-02-25 11:44 AM

User image

Nope.  I have been asked maybe twice for people to give them pointers, and I do what I can, but I am not a coach.  More helpful is the guy that asked for pointers as he signed up for an Alcatraz swim.  I can give pointers about that particular swim, and what conditions he'll be exposed to, but as for his stroke?  I gave a couple pointers but for all I know made it worse.

And just because someone is fast it doesn't mean they can coach or analyze another person's stroke. 

2016-02-25 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Only once. There was a young lady struggling mightily in the lane next to me. When we were both stopped at the end on the pool I asked I she would like some friendly advice that I thought might help. It turned out well. She thanked me for the advice and was clearly trying to implement what I shared. She thanked me again a few days later saying it was making a difference.

I don't think I would make any fine tune suggestions to a competent swimmer unsolicited but this was a clear novice struggling more than she needed to. That's the distinction I have made.

2016-02-25 12:29 PM

User image

, South Carolina
It's all in the delivery. If you were in my lane and you said " hey I was swimming besides you and noticed "xxxxxxx" and think maybe if you tried "yyyyyy" that it may help your stroke. I would be like h3!! yeah. Now if you lectured me on the benefits of bi-lateral breathing i would tell you to off I love my air!
2016-02-25 12:30 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by nc452010 Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.
My response was intended to be read in a 1920's movie gangster's voice...did that not land? I guess it was funnier in my head. The Francis reference sailed right over my head by the way. Anyway...off to the pool, and don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone, or try to help. I'm not holding the door open for anyone either.

People should know better than to take you so seriously.

2016-02-25 1:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by nc452010 Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke.
My response was intended to be read in a 1920's movie gangster's voice...did that not land? I guess it was funnier in my head. The Francis reference sailed right over my head by the way. Anyway...off to the pool, and don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone, or try to help. I'm not holding the door open for anyone either.

People should know better than to take you so seriously.

I know, right? But they still do for some reason.
2016-02-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Stuartap

Only once. There was a young lady struggling mightily in the lane next to me. When we were both stopped at the end on the pool I asked I she would like some friendly advice that I thought might help. It turned out well. She thanked me for the advice and was clearly trying to implement what I shared. She thanked me again a few days later saying it was making a difference.

I don't think I would make any fine tune suggestions to a competent swimmer unsolicited but this was a clear novice struggling more than she needed to. That's the distinction I have made.

This is exactly the type of situation I am talking about. Where you see someone struggling in the water and can help them greatly by correcting some things. I can't imagine anyone asking for help from an advanced swimmer. Putting myself in their situation, I wouldn't want to bother someone that looked serious. (although, I rarely get mistaken as being serious about anything)
2016-02-25 1:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by Stuartap Only once. There was a young lady struggling mightily in the lane next to me. When we were both stopped at the end on the pool I asked I she would like some friendly advice that I thought might help. It turned out well. She thanked me for the advice and was clearly trying to implement what I shared. She thanked me again a few days later saying it was making a difference. I don't think I would make any fine tune suggestions to a competent swimmer unsolicited but this was a clear novice struggling more than she needed to. That's the distinction I have made.
This is exactly the type of situation I am talking about. Where you see someone struggling in the water and can help them greatly by correcting some things. I can't imagine anyone asking for help from an advanced swimmer. Putting myself in their situation, I wouldn't want to bother someone that looked serious. (although, I rarely get mistaken as being serious about anything)

Key words here being "young lady."   Let's not go ascribing altruistic motives here all willy nilly. 

2016-02-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

I would not for a simple reason : I would not want to receive it unless I knew the competence of the person providing it. Unfortunately there is a lot of bad info out there. I only take advice from sources that have been properly vetted. Maybe that's just me

There's also a lot of very simple concepts out there that a newbie doesn't have a clue about.......a new triathlete taking advice from someone who is flying up and down the pool lane doesn't need references......he needs help swimming.  It's swimming, not a lunar landing.

That being said......no, I wouldn't do it unsolicited.  If someone doesn't care to ask then I don't care what they're doing.

It's funny you say that

Unless I focus on it, I definitely cross over the centerline when swimming. If I'm sloppy it can get pretty bad. On several occasions swimmers who I see on a regular basis have pointed it out. On at least 3 occasions I asked "how would you correct it". All 3 times to very fast younger swimmers. One swam with Andy Potts apparently. I have received at least 3 reasons and ways to correct it. Once I dug a little deeper and asked to explain why. "It's because of your over rotation". "Really ? " I said, "ya. bla bla bla bla bla bla and when you turn to breath you cross over". "But wait a second...I'm not breathing to that side". "Oh ya, I guess it's something else".

People can take advice from who they want. For me, I prefer to know if that person is competent or not. A fast swimmer does not mean a oompetent coach or good advice There is one girl who is very fast and I love her attitude. I ask her a question and she says "I don't know, let me try it", she swims 200m and says "I do it this way, but I don't know why", I love her.

You are right it's not lunar landing. Nor is running. Yet today at the track I heard the coach of the University track team talking about a topic that was covered in DMiller's run video thread. I stopped went to talk to him and asked him about some of the advice that had been given. He laughed and said "Really ? Where id you hear nonsense like that". You're right, it's not lunar landing, yet some don't seem to be able to get it right.

2016-02-25 2:56 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's funny you say that

Unless I focus on it, I definitely cross over the centerline when swimming. If I'm sloppy it can get pretty bad. On several occasions swimmers who I see on a regular basis have pointed it out. On at least 3 occasions I asked "how would you correct it". All 3 times to very fast younger swimmers. One swam with Andy Potts apparently. I have received at least 3 reasons and ways to correct it. Once I dug a little deeper and asked to explain why. "It's because of your over rotation". "Really ? " I said, "ya. bla bla bla bla bla bla and when you turn to breath you cross over". "But wait a second...I'm not breathing to that side". "Oh ya, I guess it's something else".

People can take advice from who they want. For me, I prefer to know if that person is competent or not. A fast swimmer does not mean a oompetent coach or good advice There is one girl who is very fast and I love her attitude. I ask her a question and she says "I don't know, let me try it", she swims 200m and says "I do it this way, but I don't know why", I love her.

You are right it's not lunar landing. Nor is running. Yet today at the track I heard the coach of the University track team talking about a topic that was covered in DMiller's run video thread. I stopped went to talk to him and asked him about some of the advice that had been given. He laughed and said "Really ? Where id you hear nonsense like that". You're right, it's not lunar landing, yet some don't seem to be able to get it right.

I'm talking about people that are flailing about wildly or having something majorly wrong that wouldn't take a coach to correct. I wouldn't give someone like you advice even if you asked for it. That goes with a lot of the people on this board. Even if I happen to be faster (that's not directed towards you since I don't know how fast you are, but a general statement). I just see a lot of people that really look like they need help, and it's my impulse to help them. We're talking about people that are struggling to go under 2:30/100m where there is something obviously wrong. I certainly wouldn't offer someone advice who is swimming 1:40/100m or something like that. I'm not a coach, but when people's strokes are crazy-bad, it doesn't take a coach to help them correct obvious things.
2016-02-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Stuartap Only once. There was a young lady struggling mightily in the lane next to me. When we were both stopped at the end on the pool I asked I she would like some friendly advice that I thought might help. It turned out well. She thanked me for the advice and was clearly trying to implement what I shared. She thanked me again a few days later saying it was making a difference. I don't think I would make any fine tune suggestions to a competent swimmer unsolicited but this was a clear novice struggling more than she needed to. That's the distinction I have made.

Key words here being "young lady."   Let's not go ascribing altruistic motives here all willy nilly. 

Actually, that is a situation where I'd stay away from, becuase I'd assume, that she'd assume I was hitting on her or something. I'd be more inclined to offer advice to a 45 y/o dude.
2016-02-25 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

My response was intended to be read in a 1920's movie gangster's voice...did that not land? I guess it was funnier in my head.

The Francis reference sailed right over my head by the way.

Anyway...off to the pool, and don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone, or try to help. I'm not holding the door open for anyone either.

I thought it was from 3 Stooges...haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yscaDkzHqek
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Unsolicited Swimming Advice Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

do you ever give unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by clemson05
Views: 1759 Posts: 28

2014-04-14 8:58 PM Swimaway

Give unsolicited advice?

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 1612 Posts: 21

2011-02-13 7:10 PM Paddy1

Unsolicited swimming advice worked today

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 779 Posts: 1

2009-10-21 7:47 PM TriPatrick

Unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
Views: 2435 Posts: 38

2009-09-03 3:18 PM neuronet

Unsolicited swimming critique

Started by BrianK
Views: 1275 Posts: 11

2009-07-28 9:43 PM jtaddei
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : January 8, 2010
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about that 'perfect day off' - as triathletes, it's needed.
date : October 9, 2009
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???