Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-04-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Pull buoy swim
Originally posted by TriMike
Slight hijack to the thread.  I'm in need of analysis of my body position and kick yet I'm not interested in masters classes doing 2,500-3,000 yard workouts.  Is that unreasonable to ask of a prospective coach?  That I'm more interested in their analysis and some pool time enough to learn the drills that I'll need to work on myself?

How does one find a swim coach in their areas?  Do pools and YMCA's pass along coaching info?

Thank you.

There is a guy here on BT k9car363 that seems like a pretty competent swim coach.
He has a website http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/

I have never used his services, but the interactions I have had with him in the forums make me believe he really knows his stuff.
He hangs around grey guys mentor group more than TT I believe, but maybe he will see this. I would PM him.

Like running and biking having someone local is great. But I think competence trumps location when we have the tools we have (video, watches....)

Edited by marcag 2016-04-16 7:56 AM

2016-04-16 6:33 PM
in reply to: #5176718

I would not discount the masters class by thinking that the workouts are 2500 to 3000. My masters are clearly divided into slow, medium and fast. We are not swimming the same sets. The mediums (which includes me are still getting instructions on mechanics and identifying what to work on). I have 9nly been swimming with them 1 day a week for a month and swimming on my own 2x per week. My swimming has improved over this time. Swimming with other people pushes you
2016-04-16 7:53 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by Sidney PorterI would not discount the masters class by thinking that the workouts are 2500 to 3000. My masters are clearly divided into slow, medium and fast. We are not swimming the same sets. The mediums (which includes me are still getting instructions on mechanics and identifying what to work on). I have 9nly been swimming with them 1 day a week for a month and swimming on my own 2x per week. My swimming has improved over this time. Swimming with other people pushes you
Good point. I wish I could test drive swim coaches before committing to 8-10 weeks... I did that once and it was a loooooong session....I'm very disciplined so if I'm given drills and a program I'll do the work, just need direction.I've thought of filming and submitting the video here, I just need to get a camera lined up.Thanks
2016-04-18 7:08 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by andersyanike

I have been swimming once a week for the past 2-3 months, and the last month I have been swimming the whole time with a pull buoy to get comfortable in the water, work on breathing and upper body form. For these pull buoy workout I have been going 2300m with one or no breaks in between, approx one hour total. The workouts are not easy, but they're definitely not hard. I am also biking an hour each week and running 10-15 miles per week. Is it safe to say that I could handle a 1500m swim at my current fitness level?

Also, is there a swimming calculator where you can enter your time using a pull buoy and have it estimate your time without a pull buoy? Thanks!

Hello!  Sorry I am late to the party.

You have been swimming once a week for the past 2-3 months - I am going to go out on a limb and make the assumption that you are "an adult onset swimmer" and that your sum total of swimming experience is the 2-3 months of "training" that you mentioned.  (I also assume you have done some recreational swimming in the past).

It's not uncommon for newer swimmers to comment on how much easier it is too swim with a pull buoy.  Often times they will make the erroneous assumption that because you are going to often be using a wetsuit that it is OK to rely on the pull buoy to keep your legs up - the wetsuit is going to do the same thing, right? That is tantamount to putting training wheels on your bike.

When used properly, a pull buoy can be a valuable tool.  Unfortunately, a pull buoy can also become a crutch to counter poor technique.  It sounds like the pull buoy is the latter for you right now.  Looking at your duration and distance it appears you are swimming around a 2:30-2:40/100M pace.  That says there is quite a lot of technique "low hanging fruit" that will dramatically help you. The best thing you can do for your swimming is to lose the pull buoy and learn to swim properly - i.e. start with the fundamentals, learn how to keep your body balanced in the water, learn a proper streamline position, learn how to kick properly.  From that progress to actually swimming while keeping your legs from dropping.

Next thing, swimming 2,300 continuous yards is almost a complete waste of your time.  Initially, while you are sorting out your technique, you should be doing intervals of 25 and 50 yards w/15-30" rest depending upon how your technique is.  Once your technique is decent step up to 50 and 100 intervals and the occasional 100-200-100 ladders w/15-20" rest.  Maybe, MAYBE the occasional set of 200's or 100-200-400-200-100 ladders.  Back when I was swimming competitively I was swimming in excess of 350,000 meters per month and we rarely swam anything over 200's.

There is no calculator that will convert a time with a pull buoy to a time without a pull buoy.  If your technique is good, you will be faster without the buoy than with the buoy (the buoy is actually designed to use during pull sets with an ankle band to isolate the arms, when used that way, you have no kick which may cause your legs to drop slightly, the pull buoy prevents that - in this example, the buoy is a tool so you can more effectively do pull sets.  A pull buoy should NOT be used to swim - when that is happening, you are using a crutch).  In your case, I suspect you will be slower without the pull buoy because it is likely a crutch holding your legs up - remove the buoy, your legs drop, drag dramatically increases, and you slow down.  By the way, if you are using the buoy while swimming (not pull sets), you very likely won't go anywhere near the 2,300M you are going with it.  You'll find it MUCH more difficult to swim if the buoy is keeping your legs up for you.

Sorry if I came across as harsh.  There is no shortcut in swimming as it is very technically demanding.  If your technique is poor, you are going to struggle in the water.  Using a pull buoy when you are swimming is simply guaranteeing you will struggle in the water and continue to do so until you learn to swim properly. 

You can avoid all of that by taking 6-8 weeks and learn to swim with proper technique.  The best thing you can do for your swimming is to find a qualified coach/instructor locally that can assist you.  There is NO substitute for eyes on deck.  If there is nobody that you can work with, the next best alternative is to connect with a coach that can do video analysis and go that route.  That method is slower but can also generate results.

Good luck!

Edited to say I read the rest of the thread and I second Suzanne's comment re the BS squad swimmers.  They would be better served learning proper technique to wean them off the pull buoy.

Edited by k9car363 2016-04-18 7:38 PM
2016-04-18 7:23 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by nc452010
Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Burchib , my times in 1200 yards are 1:50/100. My time in 250 without one is 2:00.
250 in 2:00 is really good, I assume that's not what you meant. Using the PB so much is because you are impatient and learned to swim the wrong way. Body position in the water is the first and most basic thing to learn. You skipped this and used the PB to put your body in a better position. Its like never taking the training wheels off your bike.
Except that you do (end up) taking the training wheels off. NOT using the PB is like trying to learn to ride the bike...........without the training wheels. That would be a more fair correlative.

Except there isn't a beginner swimming class in the country I know of that uses a pull buoy to teach proper position in the water.  I never passed out training wheels when I taught people to swim - from 18-month old toddles all the way up to senior citizens.  We started with the fundamentals and we built on that.  Adult onset swimmers are hugely impatient and want to get to "swimming."  All they accomplish is to get in the pool and try to beat the water into submission.  The water almost always wins.

Most adult-onset swimmers would be far better served to ditch the pull buoy and learn to swim properly.  Then, once they have good technique, re-introduce the pull buoy as the tool it was intended to be - to help isolate the arms during pull sets.

2016-04-19 4:59 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm somewhat asking this, knowing the answer already......but, here goes............

Is it possible to learn proper body position (for someone who's never learned it, before.....as a childhood swimmer) and develop a strong(er) pull..............WHILE using the pull buoy? I mean....what's the purpose of the tool?

Will a strong pull help to put one's body in an advantageous position in the water? Will a strong pull help a swimmer overcome body position issues?

Do you (anyone who may wish to answer this) have perfect body position in the water? How did you.....or, do you.........achieve this position?

2016-04-19 9:13 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm somewhat asking this, knowing the answer already......but, here goes............

Is it possible to learn proper body position (for someone who's never learned it, before.....as a childhood swimmer) and develop a strong(er) pull..............WHILE using the pull buoy? I mean....what's the purpose of the tool?

We adults often are our own worst enemies because we can overthink simple things.  Learning to swim is a classic example.  Whether the person leaning to swim is a child or an adult really has no bearing on learning to swim.  Every beginning swimmer falls into the category of someone who has "never learned it before" - regardless of age.  When youngsters learn to swim, they often go to a lesson (or ongoing class), are told "Do this." They do it, and they learn to swim.  Learning to swim is no different today than it was 50-years ago - yet adults tend to try and short-cut the "system."  The square foot between an adults ears sometimes gets in the way by suggesting they know better - even though they admit they never learned it before.

I've taught people of all ages to swim for nearly 40-years.  Not once, NEVER have I given a new swimmer a pull-buoy so they could learn to swim.  So in answer to your question, if you are turning to a pull-buoy thinking it will improve your technique or body position, you are on a mis-guided path.  That approach is akin to giving someone with pneumonia some cough syrup - it is treating a symptom, not addressing the problem.

What's the intended purpose of the pull-buoy?  When a swimmer is doing pull sets - meaning no kick - they should be using an ankle band to minimize their kick.  They should also be using paddles, not to increase strength as many believe, but to provide feedback on proper technique.  In the perfect world, the swimmer's technique continues to be good enough while doing pull sets to prevent the legs from dropping (yes it CAN be done).  However, many swimmers experience a slight leg drop when they're doing pull sets and the pull-buoy helps prevent this.  Note the full, true name of the tool - PULL-buoy.

Will a strong pull help to put one's body in an advantageous position in the water? Will a strong pull help a swimmer overcome body position issues?

The short answer is "NO."

Freestyle (specifically talking about 'Front Crawl') is a "circular" stroke in that everything about freestyle effects everything else.  You can't have a good pull if you don't have a good catch; you can't have a good catch if you don't have a good entry; you can't have a good entry if you don't have a good recovery; you can't have a good recovery without a good release; and you can't have a good release without a good pull.  Everything impacts everything else.  On top of that, you aren't going to have a good entry/catch/pull if you don't have proper body rotation.  You likely won't have good body rotation if you don't have a good and properly timed kick.  EVERYTHING impacts everything else in freestyle.  ALL of that is built upon the foundation of swimming fundamentals - balance, streamline, proper kick and breathing.  VERY few adult onset swimmers take the time to learn the fundamentals - saying they don't have time, or it's silly.  Consequently they struggle with the swim and never reach their potential in the water.  Worse, they are sabotaging any race day effort before the race even begins.

Do you (anyone who may wish to answer this) have perfect body position in the water? How did you.....or, do you.........achieve this position?

Nope!

"Perfect" technique, including perfect position is somewhat of a moving target.  There are conflicting views on what constitutes "perfect" technique; largely because so-called perfect technique is somewhat dependent upon the context in which the swimmer is competing.  Is it a 100M race?  A 1,500M race?  A 2.4-mile IM swim?  All of those races have different goals and are going to necessarily have a slightly different stroke.  The 100 is an all-out sprint - that swimmer will likely be anaerobic within a couple strokes of hitting the water and that race will be over in well under a minute.  While the IM swim is all about economy of motion and conservation of energy.  The 100 you are going to be in a nice wide lane all by yourself, the water will be very smooth and the pool will likely have big gutters to keep the water smooth; whereas the IM swim you will probably be in an open body of water that may be VERY rough, and you may be swimming with a couple thousand of your closest friends.

All of those differing strokes however, share some common characteristics - namely good fundamentals, balanced reasonably streamlined position, early vertical forearm, body rotation, etc.  That is where proper freestyle swimming begins.  Learning fundamentals; then learning a strong, smooth, efficient stroke that can be quickly modified for the race conditions at hand.

The real travesty among triathlete's is they often think they can go to YouTube, watch a few videos and they will "learn" to swim proper technique.  Or they read a blog post from a very successful triathlon coach that seems to support their rationalization for short-cutting the system.  Unfortunately their quest for improvement often begins with Sun Yang video's as they think, "He is the 1,500 World Record holder so I will just learn to swim like he does" instead of going to fundamentals and building upon those fundamentals (never mind that Sun Yang has TERRIBLE overall technique and mere mortal swimmers simply cannot do what he does).  When the Sun Yang video's don't work for them, they turn to some other elite, world class swimmer that is equally out of their league and probably should not be directly emulated, at least until they have built the fundamental foundation upon which they can build proper technique.

Learning proper technique is an on-going process that never truly ends.  There are conflicting goals as you learn proper technique.  The dirty little secret is that technique and swim fitness are two sides of the same coin.  You can't truly have one without the other and that presents a dichotomy that's difficult and time consuming to reconcile.  I don't want to make it sound like it is overly difficult or impossible to learn to swim with proper technique.  Indeed, if done correctly, learning to swim with proper technique is relatively easy.  As you learn proper technique and begin to swim with that proper technique you begin to build swim fitness based upon proper technique.  As your fitness improves, your technique will improve and as that happens, you fitness will improve and so on.

The BEST thing you or anyone else struggling with the swim can do is find a qualified coach/instructor that can help you learn the fundamentals and build proper technique upon those fundamentals.  A coach/instructor on deck is far and away the best option.  Absent that, a qualified coach that can do a video analysis will provide results, albeit more slowly.  A Master's program with a good coach on deck MAY be helpful, however my experience is that most Master's programs don't have much more than someone writing basic workouts.  That isn't to say all Master's programs are that way, indeed there are a few that are spectacular assets for a triathlete, it's just those programs are the exception, not the rule.

I know, that's a pretty long response to a couple of seemingly simple questions.  Good luck!

2016-04-19 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I trained lifeguards for several years. I struggled with (for a while) endurance swimming, but I've always been able to swim. I joined masters swimming last fall and used the PB a LOT. I mean I used it almost all the time. I weaned off of it after a couple-3 months and I only use it now when the workout calls for it. I've been swimming about 8500-9000 yds/wk for a while now.

You really don't think a strong pull will help to overcome body position issues? I don't see how it couldn't. We'll respectfully agree to disagree. I think it was TJ Frye who told me this a while back. I kinda trust him in all things swimming.

**Edit....I found his quote:

"The biggest culprit is swimming is the pull. If you fix the pull and create a more effective pull, then balance issues are largely eliminated. (For beginners it's usually head position, and that is a 10 second fix). So conventional swimming fixes your pull(as an example) and that increased speed lifts your body."

End of quote.......

No harm no foul.

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-19 9:46 AM
2016-04-19 9:52 AM

User image

Exton, PA

You really don't think a strong pull will help to overcome body position issues? I don't see how it couldn't. We'll respectfully agree to disagree. I think it was TJ Frye who told me this a while back. I kinda trust him in all things swimming.

No harm no foul.

No, you a masking the problem with pure power. Of coarse you move in the water so you think you are doing the right thing, but if you learn proper body position first you would a much better swimmer.

I don't think TJ would ever tell someone with bad body position to just ignore it and use a pull Buoy.
2016-04-19 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I don't think that's at all what he was saying, either. In fact, I quoted exactly what he did say.

And, if you don't use a PB to work on your pull, they made an epic mistake in naming the tool.

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-19 10:02 AM
2016-04-19 10:48 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I trained lifeguards for several years. I struggled with (for a while) endurance swimming, but I've always been able to swim. I joined masters swimming last fall and used the PB a LOT. I mean I used it almost all the time. I weaned off of it after a couple-3 months and I only use it now when the workout calls for it. I've been swimming about 8500-9000 yds/wk for a while now.

You really don't think a strong pull will help to overcome body position issues? I don't see how it couldn't. We'll respectfully agree to disagree. I think it was TJ Frye who told me this a while back. I kinda trust him in all things swimming. No harm no foul.

Hey Jeff,

It isn't so much that I don't believe a strong pull won't help your position (or anyone else's).  This is kind of the "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" debate.  I am of the mind that proper position in the water - balance and streamline - are the starting point.  Certainly going faster in the water may help raise the legs and achieve better overall balance in the water.  However, if a swimmer has very poor fundamentals, fast will not be part of the equation.  The simple physical reality is that you, or anybody else, simply cannot generate enough propulsive force on the water to overcome excessive drag generated by dropping legs - PERIOD!  Those swimmers often turn to a pull-buoy crutch instead of taking the time to learn fundamentals and eliminate the need for the crutch in the first place.

I'm absolutely fine with agreeing to agreeably disagree.  I don't for a moment believe that my way is the only way. Indeed Brett Sutton allows and even encourages "his" athletes to do things in the water I would never advocate - clearly nobody can question his results.  I am a fan of adopting the Maffetone Method for run training which is very controversial and likely an approach that many would choose not to follow.  I am fine with that too.

If using a pull-buoy during the swim WHILE an athlete is learning proper technique will get that athlete into the pool, then I am fine with that for a reasonable period of time - like a couple weeks.  At the end of the day, swimming is a sport built upon the foundation of strong fundamentals and proper technique.  Technique ultimately will trump everything else in the water.  You can put in hundred's of thousand's of yards/meters per month and if your technique is poor you are wasting your time and likely will never reach your potential.

Finally, I don't know that I agree with your quote. especially in the context of the average age-group triathlete.  I think the biggest obstacle age-group triathletes face is reducing drag in the water followed closely by mastery of ALL of the fundamentals - balance, streamline, breathing, kicking.  Saying "the biggest culprit in swimming is the pull" discounts the importance of everything else.  For example, if you don't have an effective catch, you won't have a strong pull.  Sorry!  Ain't gonna happen.  If you don't have a proper entry and extension, you won't be able to have an effective catch.  If you don't have proper body rotation, you won't have any of that.  How is the pull suddenly the biggest culprit?  Proper overall technique, including position in the water, is the biggest culprit.

Anyway, you are an adult and you live in the United States so you are pretty much free to do whatever you choose.  If you are happy with the results you have gotten, then by all means, continue to do as you have been doing.

2016-04-19 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
It's not my quote.

2016-04-19 12:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by nc452010 I don't think that's at all what he was saying, either. In fact, I quoted exactly what he did say. And, if you don't use a PB to work on your pull, they made an epic mistake in naming the tool.

You quoted him, but when put to use you switched out "effective" with "stronger". They're not the same thing. What I've seen and Interpreted from TJ's posts over the years here is very much like what Scott is saying even though they use a little different points of view in describing it.

2016-04-19 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
What I actually did was paraphrased .....(my original post wording - from memory), then found the quote, so that no one could say I was misconstruing his words.

So, what is it you take issue with? Why is this so controversial? What is it about a PB making some people swim more that seems to ruffle people's feathers? How is swimming more - "bad"? Why do some view it as a permanent crutch - when I don't know anyone who refuses to wean themselves off of it? How can something that was invented and designed to help perfect one's pull be bad for them..........unless they intend to never stop using it (which I've never in my life heard anyone say or imply)?

Edited by nc452010 2016-04-19 12:54 PM
2016-04-19 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by nc452010 What I actually did was paraphrased .....(my original post wording - from memory), then found the quote, so that no one could say I was misconstruing his words. So, what is it you take issue with? Why is this so controversial? What is it about a PB making some people swim more that seems to ruffle people's feathers? How is swimming more - "bad"? Why do some view it as a permanent crutch - when I don't know anyone who refuses to wean themselves off of it? How can something that was invented and designed to help perfect one's pull be bad for them..........unless they intend to never stop using it (which I've never in my life heard anyone say or imply)?

LOL.  We had some drop-in visitors at our masters workout this morning.  Our head coach was explaining to them how there's a workout posted that most folks follow, but finished with, "But they're adult masters swimmers, and sometimes they just do what they want to, and that's OK".

Sheila Taormina told me last year that I was the only triathlete she knew who never used a pull buoy  I happen to dislike the things, but at the same time I use my snorkel a lot more than other folks and get chided for that at times. 

I also use my fins a lot on long butterfly sets: One of my coaches encouraged me to do it because it would let me swim longer fly sets before my mechanics broke down due to fatigue.  I know I can't wear them in meets, but they certainly are beneficial in my training.  

In the grand scheme of things, there are lots more important issues than whether or not someone wants to use a pull buoy.  

Mark

2016-04-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by nc452010 What I actually did was paraphrased .....(my original post wording - from memory), then found the quote, so that no one could say I was misconstruing his words. So, what is it you take issue with? Why is this so controversial? What is it about a PB making some people swim more that seems to ruffle people's feathers? How is swimming more - "bad"? Why do some view it as a permanent crutch - when I don't know anyone who refuses to wean themselves off of it? How can something that was invented and designed to help perfect one's pull be bad for them..........unless they intend to never stop using it (which I've never in my life heard anyone say or imply)?

LOL.  We had some drop-in visitors at our masters workout this morning.  Our head coach was explaining to them how there's a workout posted that most folks follow, but finished with, "But they're adult masters swimmers, and sometimes they just do what they want to, and that's OK".

Sheila Taormina told me last year that I was the only triathlete she knew who never used a pull buoy  I happen to dislike the things, but at the same time I use my snorkel a lot more than other folks and get chided for that at times. 

I also use my fins a lot on long butterfly sets: One of my coaches encouraged me to do it because it would let me swim longer fly sets before my mechanics broke down due to fatigue.  I know I can't wear them in meets, but they certainly are beneficial in my training.  

In the grand scheme of things, there are lots more important issues than whether or not someone wants to use a pull buoy.  

Mark

Get off the training wheels, slacker!

(I keed.....I keed!)

2016-04-19 1:58 PM

Burn them. Burn them all. The Pull Buoys I mean. Sorry, I just had to say it.

If you see this Scott, hi. Remember me? Dropped off the radar for awhile. It is really frustrating to be as Swim Smooth says, an "Arnie", which is someone who is in shape, but usually has legs that feel they are made of lead. I'm trying to do the best I can to cure this, but it does indeed affect every aspect of my swimming, including breathing, which to me, in the end, is what exhausts me first.

I can see the logic why a person uses a pull buoy. I say this carefully, as I also trust and believe what experienced coaches like Scott say when they say it is not helping in the long run. I'm going to quit using mine altogether as I have to admit, I have not gotten stronger without it over time. It is hard, though, to understand as an adult onset swimmer, that swimming 250 yards is about equal to how I feel after running 5 miles. In the end, it is the quality of breathing that gets me. I can swim 1200 yards in my wetsuit easier and faster. In the pool, all I think about is technique. I can swim the 250 at 2:00/100 and yes I am a full 10 seconds faster when I used the pull buoy (wow, they stink when thrown into a campfire!!)

I will just keep dragging my sorry lead legs out of bed and keep trying to learn better technique. I kept a picture of my pull buoy to help me through sleepless nights
2016-04-19 2:03 PM

User image

"The biggest culprit is swimming is the pull. If you fix the pull and create a more effective pull, then balance issues are largely eliminated. (For beginners it's usually head position, and that is a 10 second fix). So conventional swimming fixes your pull(as an example) and that increased speed lifts your body."

I would agree that a strong pull that creates speed, and therefore lift, can mask poor balance issues, but at an energy cost. It simply takes a lot more energy to swim that way than it does to swim the same speed with good balance and a properly coordinated stroke/kick combination. And while I agree head position issues are common and relatively easy to fix, the other common challenge with new swimmers is keeping proper balance while breathing. With a pull buoy keeping your legs from dropping, you can do a lot of bad things in the breathing cycle without getting any negative feedback that tells you you're doing something that's gonna hurt you when the pull buoy is gone.

At triathlon swim speeds, the kick provides essentially no direct propulsion. When done properly, the energy from the kick is transmitted to your upper body through your core, and amplified, almost like a whip; driving rotation, and adding power to the pull that doesn't have to come from the arms. Here's the nugget for triathletes: By using both lower and upper body muscles to drive the pull, you increase your aerobic threshold over a pull that relies solely on arm and shoulder power. You simply can't learn to swim this way with a pull buoy between your legs. And the more you groove a stroke without a properly connected kick into your Central Nervous System, the harder it is to reprogram your CNS when you decide to ween yourself from the buoy.

nc452010, it seems to have worked for you and that's great. But you seem to be an exception to the rule. A lot of people with experience have observed that over-reliance on the pull buoy is more likely to stall development than facilitate development. And while you seem happy with where your swim performance is now, it's entirely possible that your previous "pull buoy addiction" might still be hindering your potential.

Edited by gary p 2016-04-19 2:14 PM
2016-04-19 2:26 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by gary p

I would agree that a strong pull that creates speed, and therefore lift, can mask poor balance issues, but at an energy cost. It simply takes a lot more energy to swim that way than it does to swim the same speed with good balance and a properly coordinated stroke/kick combination. And while I agree head position issues are common and relatively easy to fix, the other common challenge with new swimmers is keeping proper balance while breathing. With a pull buoy keeping your legs from dropping, you can do a lot of bad things in the breathing cycle without getting any negative feedback that tells you you're doing something that's gonna hurt you when the pull buoy is gone.

At triathlon swim speeds, the kick provides essentially no direct propulsion. When done properly, the energy from the kick is transmitted to your upper body through your core, and amplified, almost like a whip; driving rotation, and adding power to the pull that doesn't have to come from the arms. Here's the nugget for triathletes: By using both lower and upper body muscles to drive the pull, you increase your aerobic threshold over a pull that relies solely on arm and shoulder power. You simply can't learn to swim this way with a pull buoy between your legs. And the more you groove a stroke without a properly connected kick into your Central Nervous System, the harder it is to reprogram your CNS when you decide to ween yourself from the buoy.

nc452010, it seems to have worked for you and that's great. But you seem to be an exception to the rule. A lot of people with experience have observed that over-reliance on the pull buoy is more likely to stall development than facilitate development. And while you seem happy with where your swim performance is now, it's entirely possible that your previous "pull buoy addiction" might still be hindering your potential.

I actually don't disagree with anything you wrote. Again, though.......that wasn't my quote

I am stating only MY experience with using the PB. I weaned off of it. I'm not sure how much clearer on that I could be. I agree it would stall development if one relied on it too long. No argument at all. But, 6 mos ago I couldn't swim 200yds......and now I can swim as far as I care to. I have no idea if that's "normal" or not. I have no idea what my potential is, but I'm doing an OLY this coming weekend....another in a few months and a HIM in September. From where I started, I'll take it.
2016-04-20 11:32 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Scott's discussed this extensively, but here's my thoughts...

TJ's got a good point that when the pull is fixed many body position issues will be as well, but it's kind of a catch 22.
A good pull will not put any downward force in the water at the front of the stroke during entry, catch or pull. A good pull will create forward momentum, not create eddies or turbulence.

Both of those are requirements of avoiding drag and moving forward, but most people will approach this with simply trying to pull hard and not correcting the flaws, just overcoming them with strength...especially triathletes (usually males), becuase they have the strength to do so and it works, so they keep using the strength to overcome.

Here's the problem... people use a high energy solution when there are lower energy solutions available that could solve the problem quicker with less energy by focusing less on "pulling" and more on "placement", entry, subtle changes in what the head does, understanding "aquatic signature" as Bill Boomer calls it (how your body lays int he water with no movement).

AS a result they get tired easily, always approach swimming from a pure effort point of view, and risk shoulder injuries from doing so. They'll get faster but sooner or later they'll have to address the other things if they care to expose their weaknesses in order to continue getting faster.

Some people do fine with this approach.

The opposite perspective is to not worry about the moving forward part, and focus first on the positioing part. Learn your aquatic signature and learn how to use head position, recovery movements, rotation and lead arm placement and extention to improve the signature while spending very little energy. This makes swimming less work, more enjoyable (for some) and can result in quick progress once patience is applied.

I'm not explaining it very well tonight but at least you can get this takeaway:

TL/DR: Triathletes can choose high energy cost or low energy cost ways to get faster. Pulling is a high energy cost approach, while learning balance and streamlining is a low energy cost approach. Both can make you faster, but one takes more energy.

In the long run balancing both of these needs (moving forward/propulsion with bodyposition/balancing thoughts) makes the best swimmer.
2016-04-20 11:33 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by k9car363

Edited to say I read the rest of the thread and I second Suzanne's comment re the BS squad swimmers.  They would be better served learning proper technique to wean them off the pull buoy.

Solidarity!

2016-04-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Any chance a PB would ingrain what proper body position should feel like?

I think I now have an "acceptable" pull, but I'm far (not even close) from powering through anything when I swim (distances). I think Gary Hall said something about (using hitting in baseball as an analogy) - it's better to hit a lot of singles than it is to concentrate on hitting home runs. I subscribe to that.
2016-04-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by nc452010 I'm somewhat asking this, knowing the answer already......but, here goes............ Is it possible to learn proper body position (for someone who's never learned it, before.....as a childhood swimmer) and develop a strong(er) pull..............WHILE using the pull buoy? I mean....what's the purpose of the tool? Will a strong pull help to put one's body in an advantageous position in the water? Will a strong pull help a swimmer overcome body position issues? Do you (anyone who may wish to answer this) have perfect body position in the water? How did you.....or, do you.........achieve this position?

Scott's discussed this extensively, but here's my thoughts...

TJ's got a good point that when the pull is fixed many body position issues will be as well, but it's kind of a catch 22. A good pull will not put any downward force in the water at the front of the stroke during entry, catch or pull. A good pull will create forward momentum, not create eddies or turbulence.

Both of those are requirements of avoiding drag and moving forward, but most people will approach this with simply trying to pull hard and not correcting the flaws, just overcoming them with strength...especially triathletes (usually males), because they have the strength to do so and it works, so they keep using the strength to overcome.

Here's the problem... people use a high energy solution when there are lower energy solutions available that could solve the problem quicker with less energy by focusing less on "pulling" and more on "placement", entry, subtle changes in what the head does, understanding "aquatic signature" as Bill Boomer calls it (how your body lays int he water with no movement).

AS a result they get tired easily, always approach swimming from a pure effort point of view, and risk shoulder injuries from doing so. They'll get faster but sooner or later they'll have to address the other things if they care to expose their weaknesses in order to continue getting faster.

Some people do fine with this approach.

The opposite perspective is to not worry about the moving forward part, and focus first on the positioing part. Learn your aquatic signature and learn how to use head position, recovery movements, rotation and lead arm placement and extention to improve the signature while spending very little energy. This makes swimming less work, more enjoyable (for some) and can result in quick progress once patience is applied.

I'm not explaining it very well tonight but at least you can get this takeaway:

TL/DR: Triathletes can choose high energy cost or low energy cost ways to get faster. Pulling is a high energy cost approach, while learning balance and streamlining is a low energy cost approach. Both can make you faster, but one takes more energy.

In the long run balancing both of these needs (moving forward/propulsion with bodyposition/balancing thoughts) makes the best swimmer.

Think the first two paragraphs could make a good tl/dr.

2016-04-21 9:26 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

I think using a PB can be good for novice swimmers to give them a feel for what proper body position should feel like, but over-reliance on it it will ingrain a poor body position, since it allows you to maintain that position without actually having proper mechanics.
2016-04-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

I think using a PB can be good for novice swimmers to give them a feel for what proper body position should feel like, but over-reliance on it it will ingrain a poor body position, since it allows you to maintain that position without actually having proper mechanics.

I feel the same way (on both points). Over-reliance can be bad, but I'm not sure it will ingrain a poor body position. I think it just gives people a false sense of where they really are in their journey. You have to be honest with yourself and willing to wean off the thing at some point. I give people enough credit to know when that is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pull buoy swim Rss Feed  

of 3