Other Resources The Political Joe » Election 2016 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2016-11-29 2:42 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Election 2016

Petraeus has no business receiving secret clearance again.

2016-11-29 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Here's my tinfoil hat theory: It's sounding like there is pressure being put on Trump by Pence to make Romney his SoS, despite strong opposition from others in Trump's inner circle who say that hiring Romney would be a betrayal of his supporters, since Romney was a big #nevertrump guy. Now, Pence, despite his affiliation with Trump, is hardly a political maverick. He's a pretty straight-arrow, conservative, traditional republican in almost every respect. If I'm borrowing Tony's tinfoil hat for a moment, I can see Pence convincing Trump to hire Romney, and then, the Republican Congress, many of whom have publicly voiced their widespread concerns about a Trump presidency, either impeaching him or not standing in the way of impeachment proceedings brought by democrats in the first year. Trump is forced out of office, leaving Pence and Romney, two "traditional" but unelectable republicans, in the White House without the fuss of having to get them legally elected. Or, if you really want to go full-on "wrap my whole house with tinfoil- infowars-level conspiracy theory": Trump has been conspiring with the GOP leadership all along, in order to place a cadre of far-right, unelectable republicans in the cabinet, and he plans to resign shortly into his term, leaving Pence, Romney, et al in charge. In return, they give Trump an endless series of sweetheart deals on his businesses, increasing his wealth and power exponentially. (Now, watch, Trump will pick, I dunno, Clint Eastwood, or someone as his Secretary of State, and this all goes out the window... )

I do agree that Pence is a lot more "traditional" in the sense of Republican politics and I also agree that Romney is at the table because Pence is pushing him.
I wouldn't be shocked if Romney got the nod for SoS, but I would be a little surprised.  We'll certainly see.
As for the congress as a whole supporting Trump I feel the #nevertrump movement was pretty small.  He has a lot more support than most people realize.  The tea party has put in place quite a few people over the years and the traditional Republicans are struggling to stay in power within their respective houses.

If I were to bet money I'd put it on Patraeus right now for SoS.

Well, given the fuss the GOP made over Hillary's server, that would be an interesting choice, given that he personally gave testimony, as part of his plea bargain on felony charges, that he removed top secret documents, shared them with his mistress, a journalist, and then put them in an unsecured drawer in his house. He also admitted to lying to federal investigators about the unauthorized removal of the documents, showing them to his mistress, and storing them in his house. I know that the world has gone crazy, and nothing makes sense anymore, but I'd like someone to explain to me how Trump supporters feel that Hillary is DQ'd from holding federal office and should be in jail for what she did, but Petraeus is a solid pick for SoS in the Trump white house. Especially since the FBI concluded that she'd done nothing criminal and Petraeus pled guilty to a crime served 2 years probation and paid $100,000 fine.

The key difference is in your last sentence.  Patraeus pled guilty and did his time.  Republicans are incredibly gracious when it comes to people redeeming themselves.  With Hillary she gamed the system through political influence to avoid being prosecuted when she did equally as bad or worse.

The irony doesn't escape me though, so it would be interesting. 

Dude, that is literally the craziest thing I've ever heard. You're signing up to hand the top diplomatic job to a person who confessed to and was convicted of giving away top secret information and stealing Top Secret--not "classified"-- Top Secret documents. And your explanation is "he learned his lesson"? What is this, kindergarten? He didn't spill paint on the class guinea pig. He exhibited terrifyingly poor judgment and broke the law in the process.

You're assuming it wasn't a setup.  haha  (just kidding)

That's your answer? No, I'm serious. I'd like for you to justify this for me. Explain to me why you think the US government should give the top security clearance available to a person who has already pled guilty to giving away secrets. ETA: And you may not use "But but OBAMAAAAA" or "But but Hillary". Your guy is in charge now, and you'd better get used to holding him accountable on his own merits, just like you said you would.

Well first off, you grossly mis-characterize his crime.  He plead guilty to a misdemeanor crime of mishandling classified information and to my knowledge it was because he had classified information stored in an unlocked drawer at his house.  I've never heard that he gave classified information to anyone, so what's your source for that?
Even the classified information that was found on Paula B's computer was never cited as coming from Patreaus.  She was an intelligence officer and had many emails from several key people including General Allen (commander in Afghanistan I believe).

He did have an affair and I don't like that, but it's not a disqualifying event for me personally.

In January, 2015, the DOJ and FBI recommended felony charges against him. After initially refusing to plea bargain and denying the allegations, he copped a plea in March of 2015 to reduced charges. Petraeus personally admitted in his testimony to the government that he had provided Broadwell access to secret information. From the 15-page “statement of facts” provided by the government on the case: “On or about 8/28/11, defendant delivered the 'Black Books' (notebooks which Petraeus previously stated contained Top Secret information) to a private residence in Washington where his biographer was staying during a week-long trip to Washington DC. The DC residence was not approved for the storage of classified information. Thereafter, on or about 8/28/11 to on or about 9/11/11, defendant left the Black Books at the DC private residence to facilitate his biographer’s access to the Black Books and the information contained therein.” From a Washington Post article on the case: "In the 15 page statement of facts filed by the government along with the plea agreement, the government stated that Petraeus had provided Broadwell access to documents containing Top Secret Sensitive Compartmented Information, had later moved those documents to his personal residence and stored them in an unsecured drawer, and had deliberately and intentionally lied to Federal investigators about both providing Broadwell access to the documents and their improper storage. These facts were acknowledged to be true by Petraeus as part of his plea agreement." ^ Lamothe, Dan (March 3, 2015). "'There's code word stuff in there': Case against David Petraeus laid out in court documents". The Washington Post. (Those sources ok with you?)

That's good information and I agree it's not cool.  The wiki article and stuff I'd read in the past just mentioned that he had the book at his residence and it wasn't locked up.  They didn't mention the purpose was for her to see the information.

2016-11-29 10:03 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2016-11-30 7:20 AM

User image

Is anyone tired of winning yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Carrier/status/803764047300722688

Unless you have details of the "deal", how can you assess whether this winning or not?

2016-11-30 9:04 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama
Breaking news:

Trump to have Romney run Trump industries while he is in office.

OK, just made that up. I did read where he will be leave his business while POTUS. And why not? He is 70 years old.....will be 74 or 78 when he leave office.....at what point do you say enough is enough. I know the press will be disappointed as they won't be able to rail about him having conflicts of interests. But really, even if he puts everything in a 'blind trust' does that really mean anything? If he is working a deal with Dubai does he 'forget' his has a Trump Tower and golf course there?

2016-11-30 10:01 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

Unless you have details of the "deal", how can you assess whether this winning or not?

For the 1000 employees that aren't losing their jobs I'd say it's a win no matter what the details are.  Even if they cut their taxes to zero, we still win because the employees have jobs.

He's not going to win every one of these and has a lot of work to do in order to make the US a more hospitable place for business, but it's a good start.
In contrast it's quite obvious how little Obama did when it came to keeping jobs in America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKpso3vhZtw&feature=youtu.be&t=2m30s

2016-11-30 10:08 AM

User image

For the 1000 employees that aren't losing their jobs I'd say it's a win no matter what the details are.  Even if they cut their taxes to zero, we still win because the employees have jobs.

He's not going to win every one of these and has a lot of work to do in order to make the US a more hospitable place for business, but it's a good start.
In contrast it's quite obvious how little Obama did when it came to keeping jobs in America.

Solendra had 1100 employees - was that a win?  Corporate welfare is corporate welfare regardless of who is receiving.  

I'm not judging the Carrier deal, because the details have yet to be released.

2016-11-30 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

This was a no-brainer! The parent company of Carrier is Untied Technologies.....who owns many defense companies. You don't get on the wrong side of the POTUS when you rely on billions of dollars worth of defense contracts.

Looking back at this now I just cringe at the number of aerospace jobs we've lost to China and Japan that could have been kept in the US if the POTUS had the guts to tell Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, Northrup-Grumman, Raytheon, GE, et al that if they moved jobs overseas they would not be winning any government contracts for a while.

Years ago Boeing and Raytheon were in competition for fiber-optic guided missile. Boeing was the low bid. The award date slid out a few days while Ted Kennedy (Raytheon is based in MA) worked some magic at the pentagon and the companies were allowed to resubmit their bids. Lo and behold Raytheon was now the low bid and won the contract. Happens all the time. All the government has to do is put a clause in the RFP that states 'all work will be performed in the US' or 98% of suppliers have to be US based.

2016-11-30 10:40 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Rogillio

But really, even if he puts everything in a 'blind trust' does that really mean anything? If he is working a deal with Dubai does he 'forget' his has a Trump Tower and golf course there?

If he put it in a true blind trust, where he has no visibility or influence on the workings of the company, it would be meaningful. Or, if he did what the Wall Street Journal proposed and liquidated all of his holdings, that would certainly eliminate any conflict of interest-- not that I would expect him to do that.

Handing the reins over to his kids is barely, to me, even a symbolic gesture. It's not practical to expect him to physically be able to run the company and his businesses, so he has to let someone handle the day-to-day, and I think most would agree that handing it to his kids (as opposed to a trustee or whoever) is the closest he can come to still running the day to day as he possibly can be without sitting in the CEO chair.

So no, it doesn't mean anything, but it should. Do you really want your president to have to decide between the best interests of the country and his own financial best interests if he has to make a decision that favors one over the other?

Your post is interesting when looked at next to your post on the minimum wage. On that post you say, "Will business just accept making less money? LOL Not a chance. They did not work 16 hrs a day to build their franchise to accept 2% return on their investment! "

So, if that's your point of view, then I'd ask the question, "Why would you expect Trump to be ok with the businesses that bear his name, and which he's spent his life building to make less money (as they might if he's no longer in charge)"? The answer, to your point, is, he won't. He'll continue to build his business and make more money, just as he's done his whole life-- he'll just have the assets of the most powerful office in the world to do it even more effectively.

And if that means he has to sign a trade deal that enables Ivanka's company to expand into South America or implement environmental regulations that favor the golf course industry, I have no doubt that he'll do it without thinking twice, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do for the majority of Americans.

Trump has already pretty much come out and said, "If you didn't want a president who planned to use his office to enrich himself and his businesses, you shouldn't have elected me," so I wouldn't expect this sham of a "blind trust" to mean much.
2016-11-30 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

But really, even if he puts everything in a 'blind trust' does that really mean anything? If he is working a deal with Dubai does he 'forget' his has a Trump Tower and golf course there?

If he put it in a true blind trust, where he has no visibility or influence on the workings of the company, it would be meaningful. Or, if he did what the Wall Street Journal proposed and liquidated all of his holdings, that would certainly eliminate any conflict of interest-- not that I would expect him to do that.

Handing the reins over to his kids is barely, to me, even a symbolic gesture. It's not practical to expect him to physically be able to run the company and his businesses, so he has to let someone handle the day-to-day, and I think most would agree that handing it to his kids (as opposed to a trustee or whoever) is the closest he can come to still running the day to day as he possibly can be without sitting in the CEO chair.

So no, it doesn't mean anything, but it should. Do you really want your president to have to decide between the best interests of the country and his own financial best interests if he has to make a decision that favors one over the other?

Your post is interesting when looked at next to your post on the minimum wage. On that post you say, "Will business just accept making less money? LOL Not a chance. They did not work 16 hrs a day to build their franchise to accept 2% return on their investment! "

So, if that's your point of view, then I'd ask the question, "Why would you expect Trump to be ok with the businesses that bear his name, and which he's spent his life building to make less money (as they might if he's no longer in charge)"? The answer, to your point, is, he won't. He'll continue to build his business and make more money, just as he's done his whole life-- he'll just have the assets of the most powerful office in the world to do it even more effectively.

And if that means he has to sign a trade deal that enables Ivanka's company to expand into South America or implement environmental regulations that favor the golf course industry, I have no doubt that he'll do it without thinking twice, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do for the majority of Americans.

Trump has already pretty much come out and said, "If you didn't want a president who planned to use his office to enrich himself and his businesses, you shouldn't have elected me," so I wouldn't expect this sham of a "blind trust" to mean much.

You may be right. I've never heard of a politician who left office with a lower net worth than they had when they got elected. Look at all the millionaire senators in congress.....they didn't get rich off their salary that is for sure.

My guess is, if it's good for Ivanka, it's good for many other US business too.

BTW, speaking of Ivanka.....some liberals have started a boycott Ivanka movement. I told my wife to buy some Christmas presents from the Ivanka Trump line to 'offset' the boycott.
2016-11-30 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Rogillio But really, even if he puts everything in a 'blind trust' does that really mean anything? If he is working a deal with Dubai does he 'forget' his has a Trump Tower and golf course there?
If he put it in a true blind trust, where he has no visibility or influence on the workings of the company, it would be meaningful. Or, if he did what the Wall Street Journal proposed and liquidated all of his holdings, that would certainly eliminate any conflict of interest-- not that I would expect him to do that. Handing the reins over to his kids is barely, to me, even a symbolic gesture. It's not practical to expect him to physically be able to run the company and his businesses, so he has to let someone handle the day-to-day, and I think most would agree that handing it to his kids (as opposed to a trustee or whoever) is the closest he can come to still running the day to day as he possibly can be without sitting in the CEO chair. So no, it doesn't mean anything, but it should. Do you really want your president to have to decide between the best interests of the country and his own financial best interests if he has to make a decision that favors one over the other? Your post is interesting when looked at next to your post on the minimum wage. On that post you say, "Will business just accept making less money? LOL Not a chance. They did not work 16 hrs a day to build their franchise to accept 2% return on their investment! " So, if that's your point of view, then I'd ask the question, "Why would you expect Trump to be ok with the businesses that bear his name, and which he's spent his life building to make less money (as they might if he's no longer in charge)"? The answer, to your point, is, he won't. He'll continue to build his business and make more money, just as he's done his whole life-- he'll just have the assets of the most powerful office in the world to do it even more effectively. And if that means he has to sign a trade deal that enables Ivanka's company to expand into South America or implement environmental regulations that favor the golf course industry, I have no doubt that he'll do it without thinking twice, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do for the majority of Americans. Trump has already pretty much come out and said, "If you didn't want a president who planned to use his office to enrich himself and his businesses, you shouldn't have elected me," so I wouldn't expect this sham of a "blind trust" to mean much.
You may be right. I've never heard of a politician who left office with a lower net worth than they had when they got elected. Look at all the millionaire senators in congress.....they didn't get rich off their salary that is for sure. My guess is, if it's good for Ivanka, it's good for many other US business too. BTW, speaking of Ivanka.....some liberals have started a boycott Ivanka movement. I told my wife to buy some Christmas presents from the Ivanka Trump line to 'offset' the boycott.

Handing his business over to Ivanka would be a little easier to accept if he didn't have Ivanka sitting in on his meetings with heads of state, or Ivanka's husband as one of the senior members of his transition team. If he really wants it in a blind trust, he should hand everything over to Tiffany. 

2016-11-30 11:46 AM

User image

Pro

I see no reason for Trump to not turn h is business over to his children.  It's what everyone does.  Yeah, he's going to be the President.  If you find something improper with the arraingement after he is sworn in then take action.  Up until then it's just more posturing by people who can't believe he won.  Let it go.....and hope he's the best we've ever had.

2016-11-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Rogillio But really, even if he puts everything in a 'blind trust' does that really mean anything? If he is working a deal with Dubai does he 'forget' his has a Trump Tower and golf course there?
If he put it in a true blind trust, where he has no visibility or influence on the workings of the company, it would be meaningful. Or, if he did what the Wall Street Journal proposed and liquidated all of his holdings, that would certainly eliminate any conflict of interest-- not that I would expect him to do that. Handing the reins over to his kids is barely, to me, even a symbolic gesture. It's not practical to expect him to physically be able to run the company and his businesses, so he has to let someone handle the day-to-day, and I think most would agree that handing it to his kids (as opposed to a trustee or whoever) is the closest he can come to still running the day to day as he possibly can be without sitting in the CEO chair. So no, it doesn't mean anything, but it should. Do you really want your president to have to decide between the best interests of the country and his own financial best interests if he has to make a decision that favors one over the other? Your post is interesting when looked at next to your post on the minimum wage. On that post you say, "Will business just accept making less money? LOL Not a chance. They did not work 16 hrs a day to build their franchise to accept 2% return on their investment! " So, if that's your point of view, then I'd ask the question, "Why would you expect Trump to be ok with the businesses that bear his name, and which he's spent his life building to make less money (as they might if he's no longer in charge)"? The answer, to your point, is, he won't. He'll continue to build his business and make more money, just as he's done his whole life-- he'll just have the assets of the most powerful office in the world to do it even more effectively. And if that means he has to sign a trade deal that enables Ivanka's company to expand into South America or implement environmental regulations that favor the golf course industry, I have no doubt that he'll do it without thinking twice, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do for the majority of Americans. Trump has already pretty much come out and said, "If you didn't want a president who planned to use his office to enrich himself and his businesses, you shouldn't have elected me," so I wouldn't expect this sham of a "blind trust" to mean much.
You may be right. I've never heard of a politician who left office with a lower net worth than they had when they got elected. Look at all the millionaire senators in congress.....they didn't get rich off their salary that is for sure. My guess is, if it's good for Ivanka, it's good for many other US business too. BTW, speaking of Ivanka.....some liberals have started a boycott Ivanka movement. I told my wife to buy some Christmas presents from the Ivanka Trump line to 'offset' the boycott.

Handing his business over to Ivanka would be a little easier to accept if he didn't have Ivanka sitting in on his meetings with heads of state, or Ivanka's husband as one of the senior members of his transition team. If he really wants it in a blind trust, he should hand everything over to Tiffany. 

Why?  Because you say so?  You, and people like you who did nothing but badmouth the man AND his supporters?  He owes YOU something?  That's laughable.

2016-11-30 12:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

The whole outrage over his business is amusing at best.  He doesn't have to do anything with his company by law.  If he decides to hand over the reins to his kids then great, if he decides to sell the business then great.  He can do whatever the heck he wants, and guess what his detractors will still complain about how it's not enough.  /shocker

2016-11-30 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Left Brain

Why?  Because you say so?  You, and people like you who did nothing but badmouth the man AND his supporters?  He owes YOU something?  That's laughable.

He doesn't owe me a thing. He does owe it to the American people that he acts in the best interest of America and not in the best interest of the Trump Organization. Keeping 1,100 Indiana jobs from leaving for Mexico is a good sign. Meeting with English politicians and telling them that wind farms off the coast of Scotland ruin the view of his golf course, that doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence that he won't be using his newfound political might for his own personal gain.

As for me badmouthing his AND his supporters? Well, yeah I badmouth Trump. I think he's a disgusting man. But you won't find a post from me disrespecting his supporters. I've never called Tony or Rogillio stupid or ignorant or racist. Just because they see something in Trump that I don't doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong. Hell, I really, really hope that they're right and I'm wrong. Since he's our next president, me being wrong about Trump is in the best interest in America. You seem to think everyone unhappy with the election is some whiny millennial who was raised on participation trophies and is now curled up in their safe space crying that it's not fair. I don't know what to tell you, I'm not. Trump won and my life goes on. 

2016-11-30 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

He doesn't owe me a thing. He does owe it to the American people that he acts in the best interest of America and not in the best interest of the Trump Organization. Keeping 1,100 Indiana jobs from leaving for Mexico is a good sign. Meeting with English politicians and telling them that wind farms off the coast of Scotland ruin the view of his golf course, that doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence that he won't be using his newfound political might for his own personal gain.

As for me badmouthing his AND his supporters? Well, yeah I badmouth Trump. I think he's a disgusting man. But you won't find a post from me disrespecting his supporters. I've never called Tony or Rogillio stupid or ignorant or racist. Just because they see something in Trump that I don't doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong. Hell, I really, really hope that they're right and I'm wrong. Since he's our next president, me being wrong about Trump is in the best interest in America. You seem to think everyone unhappy with the election is some whiny millennial who was raised on participation trophies and is now curled up in their safe space crying that it's not fair. I don't know what to tell you, I'm not. Trump won and my life goes on. 

Hey, I resemble that remark. 

2016-11-30 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Everything you've said throughout this election, you and I pretty much want the exact same thing in a president. I'm a little more to the left that you, but not much. I just really don't think Trump is that guy. So when I say I hope I'm wrong, I absolutely mean it. If he is the president you think he'll be, I'll have no problem voting for him next time around. But even then I'll still make fun of his tiny hands. What can I say, it makes me laugh.

2016-11-30 12:52 PM

User image

Pro

It's just getting old listening to all the bullchitl.  Donald Trump won the election.....he will be President.  He will lead as he sees fit.  That's how it works.  I've had 8 years of watching President Obama make decisions that I didn't agree with in any manner.  He was still the elected President and I respect that.  It's time for the other side to learn some respect......a lack of it is what got them sitting on the outside looking in right now.  Rightfully so.

2016-11-30 1:12 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

It's just getting old listening to all the bullchitl.  Donald Trump won the election.....he will be President.  He will lead as he sees fit.  That's how it works.  I've had 8 years of watching President Obama make decisions that I didn't agree with in any manner.  He was still the elected President and I respect that.  It's time for the other side to learn some respect......a lack of it is what got them sitting on the outside looking in right now.  Rightfully so.

I think it will depend on how he governs. I remember how disgusted I was when Romney lost and I was convinced we irreversibly heading towards European socialism. But I hoped for the best. It wasn't long before I realized he thought he was the king and started ignoring the GOP. I had heard stories about how Bill Clinton was effective because he played golf with GOPers. This just makes sense to me. Get people on board with you, respect their opinions and inputs and work towards common ground and not cram thru legislation with only one party support.

You have to learn to work with people....even people you may not like. Someone calls you names and campaigns against you, invite them to dinner and talk to person and find common ground. If both sides can agree they both want wants best for America they will find a way to work things out. It's like parents. You and you spouse my totally disagree about some aspect of parenting.....so you lower the bar...you do a reset. OK, clearly we both want what is best for our children.....let's agree with that. etc....

2016-11-30 1:12 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I don't really understand your response. It's not as if you've been sitting back quietly during the Obama years saying, "He's our president and he'll lead as he sees fit". On the contrary, you and others have been on here complaining about him almost daily for as long as you've been on BT. Are others not supposed to be able to do the same now that a Republican is in the White House? People have the same right to beyotch about Trump as you, Tony, and Rogilio have had about Obama. That's how it works.
2016-11-30 1:16 PM

User image

Pro

I don't really understand your response. It's not as if you've been sitting back quietly during the Obama years saying, "He's our president and he'll lead as he sees fit". On the contrary, you and others have been on here complaining about him almost daily for as long as you've been on BT. Are others not supposed to be able to do the same now that a Republican is in the White House? People have the same right to beyotch about Trump as you, Tony, and Rogilio have had about Obama. That's how it works.

Fine.....complain about something he DOES.  This bullchit about his businesses and how he conducts it, along with the "recall" stupidity, and the way he uses twitter (like the same people complaining) is just horsechit.  I especially like the call from the left to get the electoral college members to change their votes.  This who deal from the left is a joke.....from the campaign to the election to the aftermath of the election.  I can't wait to see how unhinged it becomes once he is sworn in. LMAO

2016-11-30 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Everything you've said throughout this election, you and I pretty much want the exact same thing in a president. I'm a little more to the left that you, but not much. I just really don't think Trump is that guy. So when I say I hope I'm wrong, I absolutely mean it. If he is the president you think he'll be, I'll have no problem voting for him next time around. But even then I'll still make fun of his tiny hands. What can I say, it makes me laugh.

It's all good.  I know we like to poke at each other, but every single one of us want what's best for the country which is the awesome part.  Obviously their are differing opinions on what the best path to get there is, but we all want things to be better.
I really wish we could all get together and go have a drink or two. You know how you form an opinion of what you think somebody looks and acts like, but really don't have any idea.  haha

2016-11-30 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

The whole outrage over his business is amusing at best.  He doesn't have to do anything with his company by law.  If he decides to hand over the reins to his kids then great, if he decides to sell the business then great.  He can do whatever the heck he wants, and guess what his detractors will still complain about how it's not enough.  /shocker

If you want to know why it bugs me so much, think about how you felt regarding the Clinton Foundation and the pay for play that it possibly (probably...most definitely) entailed. In my opinion, this has the potential to be even worse. At least with the Clinton Foundation, they had to actually do a chit-ton of charity work and put a little bit of effort in to hiding the money they siphoned off for their own personal benefit (don't get me wrong, I have no doubt they did benefit bigly). Ivanka doesn't even have to bother hiding anything because she's running a for-profit business.

There are countries who will bend over backwards throwing money, land, or subsidies at the Trump Organization if they think it'll get some influence with the president. When Trump officially backs out of the TPP and approaches Japan to negotiate a one on one trade deal, if I'm Prime Minister Shinzo Abe the first thing I'm going to do is call up Ivanka (who I already met right after the election) and ask if she's interested in building a tower in the heart of Tokyo. See if I can help clear out a little prime real estate for her. Maybe instead of getting the best deal for the US, Trump then gives a little to Japan in exchange for helping his daughter out. Trump might be above all that, but I have no doubt countries will be lining up to try. 

2016-11-30 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

If you want to know why it bugs me so much, think about how you felt regarding the Clinton Foundation and the pay for play that it possibly (probably...most definitely) entailed. In my opinion, this has the potential to be even worse. At least with the Clinton Foundation, they had to actually do a chit-ton of charity work and put a little bit of effort in to hiding the money they siphoned off for their own personal benefit (don't get me wrong, I have no doubt they did benefit bigly). Ivanka doesn't even have to bother hiding anything because she's running a for-profit business.

There are countries who will bend over backwards throwing money, land, or subsidies at the Trump Organization if they think it'll get some influence with the president. When Trump officially backs out of the TPP and approaches Japan to negotiate a one on one trade deal, if I'm Prime Minister Shinzo Abe the first thing I'm going to do is call up Ivanka (who I already met right after the election) and ask if she's interested in building a tower in the heart of Tokyo. See if I can help clear out a little prime real estate for her. Maybe instead of getting the best deal for the US, Trump then gives a little to Japan in exchange for helping his daughter out. Trump might be above all that, but I have no doubt countries will be lining up to try. 

I definitely know where you're coming from.

I guess from my perspective I automatically feel that every politician historically is corrupt as can be and are always working side deals to enrich themselves afterwords.  Trump is a billionaire and in my opinion far less likely to be tempted in that area.  Could he do it, absolutely and I'll be right next to you calling BS if it happens.
I didn't like the Clinton foundation, but IMHO they had already been using it for special favors and personal enrichment based on their government service so I was reacting based on what they did versus what they could do.  An equivalent argument would be if they owned the charity and there was zero historical influence peddling and I was concerned about them possibly doing it in the future.

I'd say another difference is that everyone knew full well that Trump has a gazillion interests all over the world as a businessman and when he campaigned he said he'd turn it over to his kids and let them run it.  As best I can tell he's doing what he said he would do and people are OK with that.

Purely from a business side I think an enterprise the size of his would be very difficult to just liquidate or even hire an outside CEO to run in a trust or something.  The Trump kids would seemingly be well positioned to run it the way it's always been run.  I believe most of them already have very high level positions within the company so they're probably already running a lot of it.

Either way, time will tell and we shall see.

2016-11-30 2:01 PM

Master
, California

One thing I've learned over the years is that being rich doesn't make people less interested in enriching themselves.  In fact it is often the opposite.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Election 2016 Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog: Election 2016

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 1189 Posts: 6

2016-03-13 7:08 PM HaydenHunter

2016 - WTF Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2703 Posts: 30

2016-02-23 8:09 PM Left Brain

Got my 2016 insurance rates today

Started by Dutchcrush
Views: 1283 Posts: 15

2015-12-19 9:17 AM mdg2003

Election 2014 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by tuwood
Views: 6178 Posts: 73

2015-01-21 9:41 AM Jackemy1

I figured out who I'm supporting for the 2016 election

Started by tuwood
Views: 1607 Posts: 5

2013-10-20 8:33 AM strykergt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2004
author : infosteward
comments : 0
Buried beneath election rhetoric about stem-cell research, gender in marriage and taxes are issues that could seriously affect your newfound hobby – triathlons.