General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS locations near Chicago Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-15 6:39 PM

Subject: OWS locations near Chicago
I'm doing my first sprint tri in June, I have no OW swim experience as yet. Does anyone have any recommendations for inland lakes I can use until Lake Michigan warms up?
Thanks!

2016-05-16 3:32 PM
in reply to: Amyp

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: OWS locations near Chicago

Where do you live?  There are some up in Crystal lake you might be able to get some OWS in but other than that, I have no idea.

Also, how strong of a swimmer are you?

2016-05-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: crowny2

Thanks for your response. I'm in the city ( Lincoln Park) but can get to the suburbs if I have to. I'm a strong pool swimmer, I really need to get into the open water for some experience. At least for a clear state of mind. The sprint distances are not long and since the lakes are inland I assume I won't have to deal with high waves etc. But I would like to try a few swims where I am out of my depth, the water isn't clear and I have to keep going. I know race day will bring lots of other variables that I can't accommodate for in my training, just trying to deal with the ones I can. I hear Naperville has a quarry, I may try that- any experience over there anyone?
I feel like a good quarter of this experience is mental preparation!
2016-05-17 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Amyp Thanks for your response. I'm in the city ( Lincoln Park) but can get to the suburbs if I have to. I'm a strong pool swimmer, I really need to get into the open water for some experience. At least for a clear state of mind. The sprint distances are not long and since the lakes are inland I assume I won't have to deal with high waves etc. But I would like to try a few swims where I am out of my depth, the water isn't clear and I have to keep going. I know race day will bring lots of other variables that I can't accommodate for in my training, just trying to deal with the ones I can. I hear Naperville has a quarry, I may try that- any experience over there anyone? I feel like a good quarter of this experience is mental preparation!

Got it.  Yeah, if you are a strong pool swimmer than this is nothing more than testing your mental strength. 

Yes Naperville does have one but I honestly have no idea what their hours, etc are.  Same with Crystal Lake. 
What is your cold tolerance?  And do you have a wetsuit?  I see Lake Michigan is around 50-55 right now, but if the wind switches and comes from the East even by a little bit that will help warm it up a bit more.

When is your race?"  Frankly you will be fine if you can get just one swim in and if that is Michigan even a week before you should be alright. 

2016-05-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Lake in the Hills Wednesday night swims start on June 1st and are every week up until their tri on June 19th.. Might be a little far of a drive to get out here at 6:00. It goes from 6-7:30 and is fully guarded, 1/2 mile loop, swim as much as you want.

Indian Trail Beach

Important Notes:

You do not need to be registered for the triathlon to participate in practice sessions.
The $5 lifeguard fee will be waived for athletes who are already registered for the triathlon. Jennifer Harrison, a certified Triathlon Coach, will be at all Open Water Swims to provide complimentary instruction for beginners.
Group rides and runs will begin within five minutes of the scheduled time. We'll be riding and running on roads open to traffic, so familiarize yourself with the Rules of the Road.
The race directors will be at all practice sessions to answer any questions.
All practice sessions are weather dependent. Check the LITH Triathlon website for cancellations. We'll do our best to post any cancellations at least one hour prior to the scheduled practice session.
Ken Carpenter Park: Miller Road and Randall Road, Lake in the Hills
Indian Trail Beach: 228 Indian Trail, Lake in the Hills

Edited by cartman1966 2016-05-17 10:06 AM
2016-05-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: crowny2

Thanks for the reassurance. It is really good to hear! I'm not great with the cold, I was thinking of getting a speed suit rather than a wet suit since the first race is towards the end of June- I have a good 6 weeks. Hope things warm up quickly so I can get out there soon. Thanks again for your advice.

2016-05-17 1:41 PM

User image

, Illinois

Look around for something at the Ohio St beach.  It's a popular spot for triathletes to do open water training.  I've never been but I would imagine it's COLD this time of year.

2016-05-17 3:20 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Amyp

Thanks for the reassurance. It is really good to hear! I'm not great with the cold, I was thinking of getting a speed suit rather than a wet suit since the first race is towards the end of June- I have a good 6 weeks. Hope things warm up quickly so I can get out there soon. Thanks again for your advice.

Which race are you doing? Palatine or Naperville? Just curious
There is a great group that meets every Saturday morning to practice open water swims: http://openwaterchicago.com/
Right now it seems to cold to join them without prior training haha but I am looking forward to joining them in June What I did last year before 57-60 degrees lake Michigan swim: cold baths every day for 20 minutes. I also read a great article by a cold water swimmer with plenty of great advice. I'll see if I can find it.
My best friend did not swim in open water AT ALL before her Chicago Triathlon last year (and she was a weak swimmer) and she still managed it, and enjoyed. I think a lot of people say if you're comfortable in pool, you should do well in open water.
2016-05-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

Thanks for this info!
2016-05-22 2:21 PM
in reply to: ec1974

Thanks- I see CE have open water swim classes soon, I think I'll do that.
2016-05-22 2:24 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Mary G- WOW OWS at Ohio (without a wetsuit?!) that takes guts. I'm impressive and a little intimidated! Maybe in June if it warms up quickly! If you can find that article I'd love to see it. Cold baths? Worth a shot!
I'm doing Palatine, I'm fairly sure it won't be too cold (or not as cold as Lake Mi anyways).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS locations near Chicago Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

September oly tri near Chicago?

Started by cmp234
Views: 1835 Posts: 10

2012-08-12 11:44 PM trying theatre

bike route near palos heighs/chicago

Started by double629
Views: 1154 Posts: 10

2012-02-08 7:04 PM mghawaly

OWS Locations - Chicago Westen Suburbs

Started by duder5189
Views: 1423 Posts: 4

2011-07-28 1:46 PM doxie

Open Water Swim Locations Chicago Suburbs

Started by duder5189
Views: 623 Posts: 1

2011-07-26 4:20 PM duder5189

Bike routes near Chicago/NW Suburbs

Started by Dtharper
Views: 1858 Posts: 8

2010-03-10 8:52 AM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.