General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri bike for me? Do what you do... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-11 11:24 AM

Subject: tri bike for me? Do what you do...
45, completer, currently on a quality road bike, will do some halfs, maybe a full, several Olympics in the coming years....
The money's not an option (I can still afford to take my wife to the beach, even if I buy a bike)
I'm a cheapskate, and don't need a new one from the usual suspects (I could afford it, just not going to....not my nature)
I'm just buying the hype that a decent tri bike would give me the energy efficiency boost, 'speed' boost which equates to time conservation on the longer races, etc. I think I'm strong enough/going fast enough on a road bike these days I'd see some of those benefits.

Got a line on an Equinox 9.0, the carbon version, in my price wheelhouse. Reading the reviews, it looks like some of the 'cons' have been replaced aftermarket.

Although, one detailed review noted that this model tends to be suited for long legs/short torso. I'm just the opposite. However, the frame size I'm looking at tends to deviate from that and be a bit more balanced, and the 'reviewer' says would be a tossup if it works for my body type or not. The good thing, this is at a local shop, and I'm sure I could get the fitter to take a look at me on it to see if it would make sense or not to even bother.

Dumb move? Not dumb move? Fire away. I'm trying not to let the endorphins take over. I've been talked off the ledge several times. Difference now is, the ledge isn't really all that high. If I fell, I'd be more embarrassed than injured.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-07-11 11:28 AM

2016-07-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: tri bike for me? Do what you do...
I would get the tri bike if it was me. If you wanted to cheap out as much as possible then just get clip on aero bars which will help a lot too. Either way you should get fit so you can actually stay aero.
2016-07-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #5190345

User image

, North Carolina
Proper fit will make or break your enjoyment of the bike. I just got a used bike. Doesn't seem to fit well. Get a good fit.
2016-07-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Champion
MA

Best way to buy a tri bike is to get a fit and get the actual coordinates for an ideal fit bike and see which bikes in what size will fit you.

Want to read up on bike fit and the process go over to slowtwitch and there are many articles. Not all bike fitters are good or skilled.

A good deal on a ill fitting bike is not a good deal. Sounds like the one you are looking at is not the best type of bike for you.

One issue many struggle with is paying for a fit prior to buying  a bike as it is real money, but it will be the smart money you will spend on this sport.

2016-07-11 8:15 PM
in reply to: #5190345

I tried it out. I'm clueless about what I should look for or feel. I did notice I got way more bang for my buck on the upstroke. Didn't feel uncomfortable. Different, for sure...but not scary different.Being that it's at a shop, not Craigslist...I could go in when the fitter is there and they'd be able to tell me if they'd be able to fit me in to it properly before I laid out the money.

I'm guessing it's about 8 years old. Same carbon as my 4 year old Madone. Weighs .5 lbs more according to original specs.

I guess the better posit is...
Since I'm looking at value...and used...
I'd most likely not be buying anything likely made after say 2012ish.

I can't believe that a mid-to higher end bike made by a reputable brand in '08 is at that much of a disadvantage to something made 4-5 years later?

I mean, sure...to those with more serious asperations...but not for a guy like me.
2016-07-11 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5190432

Barring lemons....which from reviews indicates this model wasn't a lemon by anu estimation. Other than cosmetic complaints. Could care less about paint scratches.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri bike for me? Do what you do... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

have you done an iron distance in Hammer nutrition tri shorts or bike shorts

Started by SEADOCHA
Views: 1584 Posts: 2

2012-05-24 1:18 AM mtnbkr

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2109 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Currently doing Tri's on a Hybrid Bike

Started by Mister Mike
Views: 777 Posts: 4

2010-12-16 11:11 AM FELTGood

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1661 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

doing first tri with "regular" bike?

Started by runkayak
Views: 989 Posts: 11

2008-08-20 2:44 PM dlb3830
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"