General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pokemon! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-07-11 8:55 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Pokemon!

So have any of you seen the abundance of people out and about in parks and on trails, and everywhere else for that matter, playing this game? I used to see a small handful of people on the dirt path behind my apartment and in the past 2 days there are 10 times as many people out there. Little kids, young adults, white haired old men, all staring at their phones, running around trying to catch pokemon. I even saw some wandering around in the tall grass, not paying attention, while I wondered how long it would take for one of them to be bitten by a rattlesnake. My girlfriend's cousin is the guy who invented it. He's a real health nut and a big goal of his was to get people out and active. I believe he accomplished his goal!

2016-07-12 12:15 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Pokemon!
I started seeing people out yesterday in the park and I couldn't figure it out. Seemed like some sort of nerd/zombie apocalypse. They were staring into phones in the weirdest places. Good to see people out and curious how it will impact people's health in the long term. Hope of the best.

Today's run was a bit weird because I just don't think some people understand multi-use trails. I also waited at a light thinking the people waiting at the light on their phones had pushed the button but discovered after standing there for a while that they were there chasing monsters and smoking and had no plans to actually cross the road. Felt stupid but not the first or last time.
2016-07-12 6:41 AM

User image

Bronze member

I never heard of this until yesterday and now I keep seeing it pop up over and over again on social media. 

I'm old school I guess. I took my kids to the creek yesterday but left my phone in the van. We tried to catch frogs and identify animal tracks. My kids had a great time. We would have missed it all if we were staring at a phone. 

But I get it. For people who would not typically get out into nature I guess it is a good thing. 

2016-07-12 6:51 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I think it's a real tragedy that the smartphone is taking over people's lives and gaming has gotten itself infested into young people's minds.
Congrats to your friend on the idea, but to me, 'Augmented Reality' is a fraction of a real life experience.

I sincerely hope it is a fad, but fear it is far more likely to remain popular and potentially put people at risk rather than transiently increase physical activity for any real long term health benefit.
2016-07-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I have mixed feelings about it. It's technology. Just like any other form of technology it can be good or bad. Tech contributed to more and more people being couch potatoes and staring at their screens, but this is a use of it that gets people outside, albeit looking at a screen  rather than actually looking at the world. My buddy from high shcool, a "grown man" (and I'm totally using quotes for that phrase), is an overweight video game nut, and in the last 2 days he's racked up 14 miles running around looking for pokemon. I wonder if in the coming months we'll see a sharp drop in childhood obesity. 
PS there's a great book that covers this topic called "Hamlet's Blackberry". It doesn't completely bash tech, just talks about how and why there are good and bad sides to having screens in our pockets all the time, and what it does to our lives.

Edited by trijamie 2016-07-12 10:22 AM
2016-07-12 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I heard that UPS has warned it's drivers to watch for people staring at phone screens because those people are not watching for traffic.

I guess if it gets them off the couch that is something...

2016-07-12 10:27 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by trijamie

I wonder if in the coming months we'll see a sharp drop in childhood obesity. 

I'm not sure a few months will move the needle on childhood obesity, but I see what you are saying - maybe this will become a trend. I like the idea of integrating technology to get kids moving and outdoors (as long as they aren't dumb about it and pay attention to their surroundings of course).

My sister and her family just moved across the country and she said yesterday this game will be a great way to explore their new city this summer, getting them to places they haven't seen yet while the kids have a little fun at the same time. I think that's a neat way to look at it.

Also, I will leave this here for the conspiracy theorists
http://blackbag.gawker.com/pokemon-go-is-a-government-surveillance-psyop-conspirac-1783461240 

Edited by lisac957 2016-07-12 10:27 AM
2016-07-12 10:33 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Who am I to judge, I spend 10-20 hrs a week outside staring at the screen of my watch searching for gains in FTP and VO2 max!

On a bit more serious of a note, I have started to incorporate easy days a bit more in my training as I ramp up for IMFL and the other morning I was riding my bike and going easy, I was able to take in the scenery a lot more. I was shocked at how pretty the area was that I ride in all the time. I'm normally either redlining and not paying attention or staring at my watch face and the 30 feet of concrete in front of my wheel and don't notice. Same for running. It's nice to look up sometimes.
2016-07-12 10:34 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by trijamie

I wonder if in the coming months we'll see a sharp drop in childhood obesity. 

Can't out run a bad diet. Obesity is more a diet problem than an exercise one.
2016-07-12 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I've been playing it some since Friday.  I even went on a neighborhood ride with one of my brothers for the purpose of hunting Pokemon.  I could see other people in the neighborhood walking around doing the same thing.  It's made my area at least way more active.  

Kudos to your girlfriend's cousin, btw.  I think the concept of the game is brilliant.

Edited by msteiner 2016-07-12 11:30 AM
2016-07-12 11:34 AM

I do worry about the safety of it. We're going to hear some horrible stories stemming from it.

But, I know that the second day it was out, my 15 year old was babbling on about Pokémon something or another the minute I got home. Then he wanted me to get my hybrid set up for him. And later he and my 7th grader went out and up to a nearby church, city gazebo/etc. The 15 year old never chooses outdoor activities for free time. In two days, they put almost 20 miles on their bikes.

I was initially thrilled. Still am. But when I saw they had rigged some duct tape holder for their cell phones...I was quite miffed....especially when I learned a little more how it works. They've removed those. And I've told them, if I catch them riding and looking....they will lose their cell phones. Not sure that will stop them, but I have checked up on them once and they were playing by the rules. Phones in the pocket, unless they're not rolling.

The extra beauty of it is...they have to turn on GPS....which then combined with Life360.....allows me to track them in real time. That's how I was able to get in the car and follow/spy on them.

2016-07-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jhaack39if I catch them riding and looking....they will lose their cell phones.  

Good on you for that. I worry about it on the bike path, like how people with headphones in always seem to take up the whole path and not hear you calling out to them. 

I  think it's adorable that many kids were out there running around with their parents. Seems like a fun family bonding experience.

2016-07-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by jhaack39 I do worry about the safety of it. We're going to hear some horrible stories stemming from it. But, I know that the second day it was out, my 15 year old was babbling on about Pokémon something or another the minute I got home. Then he wanted me to get my hybrid set up for him. And later he and my 7th grader went out and up to a nearby church, city gazebo/etc. The 15 year old never chooses outdoor activities for free time. In two days, they put almost 20 miles on their bikes. I was initially thrilled. Still am. But when I saw they had rigged some duct tape holder for their cell phones...I was quite miffed....especially when I learned a little more how it works. They've removed those. And I've told them, if I catch them riding and looking....they will lose their cell phones. Not sure that will stop them, but I have checked up on them once and they were playing by the rules. Phones in the pocket, unless they're not rolling. The extra beauty of it is...they have to turn on GPS....which then combined with Life360.....allows me to track them in real time. That's how I was able to get in the car and follow/spy on them.

So the way I do it is I have have the app running and put the phone in my jersey pocket.  Occasionally I'll stop and look at the map to see what's around.  The phone will vibrate if a Pokemon is nearby.  When that happens, I stop, catch the pokemon, put the phone back in the jersey pocket and move on.

2016-07-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by jhaack39 I do worry about the safety of it. We're going to hear some horrible stories stemming from it. But, I know that the second day it was out, my 15 year old was babbling on about Pokémon something or another the minute I got home. Then he wanted me to get my hybrid set up for him. And later he and my 7th grader went out and up to a nearby church, city gazebo/etc. The 15 year old never chooses outdoor activities for free time. In two days, they put almost 20 miles on their bikes. I was initially thrilled. Still am. But when I saw they had rigged some duct tape holder for their cell phones...I was quite miffed....especially when I learned a little more how it works. They've removed those. And I've told them, if I catch them riding and looking....they will lose their cell phones. Not sure that will stop them, but I have checked up on them once and they were playing by the rules. Phones in the pocket, unless they're not rolling. The extra beauty of it is...they have to turn on GPS....which then combined with Life360.....allows me to track them in real time. That's how I was able to get in the car and follow/spy on them.

So the way I do it is I have have the app running and put the phone in my jersey pocket.  Occasionally I'll stop and look at the map to see what's around.  The phone will vibrate if a Pokemon is nearby.  When that happens, I stop, catch the pokemon, put the phone back in the jersey pocket and move on.

Sounds like geocaching, only easier

2016-07-13 1:41 PM

User image

Hereford, England
I play! Went for a run today playing it. Off road and a gentle run, but gives me something to concentrate on. I'm also a driving instructor, so I drive around town all day!

If it gets kids walking it's good. Can we apply Darwin's Natural Selection to anyone run over by not looking?
2016-07-13 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5190443

Watch out for those charges if you don't have unlimited data. I've heard of a few high bills.

2016-07-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: cawalter

User image

Regular
So, how long before a cyclist is hit by a driver distracted by this pokemon?!

I would gladly volunteer to 'augment' that driver's reality...
2016-07-14 5:57 PM
in reply to: SeaDogAther

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I just got back from vacation and was washing the SUV this morning.  A teenager was going back and forth on his bike with his phone to his face.  Well I was spraying off the top and at the last sec saw him coming yet again.  I said what the heck lets see what happens if I keep spraying the top with the overspray out over the sidewalk.  Sure enough the kid rode right into it clueless and it startled him.  I told him he should be paying attention to where he's riding and put on a helmet!

FWIW, my kids (16 & 15) think this is a moron game!

2016-07-14 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
2016-07-14 9:20 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Bronze member

Read this article today also, people getting robbed at gunpoint while playing the game. Yikes

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local-news/3-umd-students-robbed-at-gunpoint-while-playing-pokemon-go

2016-07-15 4:50 PM
in reply to: trigal38

Sounds like a way for NSA to spy our world from the inside of buildings and not just the outside like they do today. Pokemon app has full access to everything on your phone including camera/video.

With that being said, our world is evolving around tech, and will only evolve our bio chemistry to transcend using the tools we create.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBWOr7rfTw

2016-07-20 6:18 PM
in reply to: dworth

Master
, California

So I thought this app was a good thing at first.  But now the paved bike trails in my area are an obstacle course of pedestrians wandering aimlessly, noses buried in their phones.  So dangerous.

2016-07-20 9:03 PM

Hate to say it but it's time to finally buy a bike bell. It's "pick your poison", where cyclists riding on roads are getting mowed down with alarming frequency. Or take to the many excellent mixed use paved trails around Coeur d'Alene (lots of old railroad tracks removed and blacktopped over). When I first heard of this Pokemon craze I thought to myself "the North Idaho Centennial Trail is going to be a mess". I haven't ridden it since then but it sounds like when I do ride that route my prediction will come true.

I have mixed emotions. This Pokemon is getting a lot of people off their butts who sorely need just that. But them being oblivious while they share the already somewhat crowded mixed use trails around our town will probably turn into a bummer.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-07-20 9:04 PM
2016-07-22 10:10 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
2016-07-23 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5190443

User image

I downloaded the app a few days ago to see what all the hype was about. Seemed pretty simple to play so my daughter and I went out this evening and tried it out. Wegot in about a 3/4 mile walk around the subdivision and caught about a half dozen or so pokemon. Not the worst way to kill a half hour or so.

I'm still going to crack jokes about it though...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pokemon! Rss Feed  

of 2