BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-19 9:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 20-21
Ann-Marie - Asheville Running Experience on Saturday
Randee - Ironman Mont-Tremblant on Sunday (bib #946)

Go get em you two!

2016-08-19 9:50 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

This may have some splits for the women's tri tomorrow. Don't know for sure. It's not the link for watching the race, just a possibility for live info about the race.

2016-08-19 9:52 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Hot RunnerNo worries--I'm on island time too most of the time. Actually had a party at school yesterday (long story--my assistant forgot Tuesday was my birthday, then said she was getting a cake Wednesday, but I suggested she wait till Friday as that's one of the kids' birthdays, so we could share the party. Then she accidentally ordered it delivered yesterday, (wishfully) thinking it was Friday--in the middle of last block I get a call from the office saying, "Your cake is here!" Plus my kids decided to sing "Happy Birthday" to me as they left the room, so pretty much everyone in the school thought yesterday was my birthday. Whatever!Finally a few minutes of track--semifinal of the men's 1500m. Local boy we call "the dude" (Blankenship) running in front, but I have a feeling he may be in over his head. Hoping they don't cut to judo or something before Centrowitz runs. Dude made it to the final. He would be more aero if he got rid of the ponytail. And...yep...cut to judo. Give me my Centro! (Cute, awesome runner, very modest guy. Kind of a local fan favorite.)ETA Centro qualifies for the final in third! So now there are two local boys in the Olympic final. (In London, I think there were three!) And now....cut to judo again. I have to go to work, anyway.
Lots of Oregon representing, indeed. Ah Centro...I love him, or want to love him but after following him on social media I sadly think he's a bit of a dbag...At least in his weird memes relating to the girls he dates. I wish I could unsee
2016-08-19 9:53 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Decent day to be home. The race was great to see as the Browlee's push so much from start to finish. Near enough the front on the swim. Always getting in the break on the bike plus pushing hard on it. Then taking off on the run. Others certainly work hard, but you can just see it these two how they're just after it all the time. Had a strong feeling that break would stick since it was 10-12 guys at the start and not just 5 or so. Knew it at half way and the chase pack wasn't making any ground. That was disappointing to see as it's often said that the domestiques (anyone not the guy for a country) can pull people back up. A guy like Mario Mola can actually run with them, but missed that front pack and no one pushed to get back up. Richard Murray might be able to, but never makes the front with a subpar (for ITU) swimming ability.

What time do the women race? Be very interesting see after watching the men. The coverage is actually really good here. Some wonder about Gwen's ability to handle the hills here, but I wonder if her lesser biking ability is because she's tall & thin without being able to get lower. Still might have some good power to weight in there to get up these things. Haven't seen her ride in a bit, but she's had about the worst position out there. She's also shown that she doesn't have to be fully up with the front pack to win races, although this will be the most competitive one she's done.

9 am our time
I think she showed multiple times that being behind on the bike did not mean she wouldn't rock the run.
Perfect example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3OZlPpOFg
She exited T2 as the last one and immediately made it to the front! (2:50) I am very anxious to see the race tomorrow ))))

I am also cheering Agnieszka Jerzyk, who represents my country
2016-08-19 9:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

This may have some splits for the women's tri tomorrow. Don't know for sure. It's not the link for watching the race, just a possibility for live info about the race.

Once again, we posted at the same time
2016-08-19 11:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Guess it's good I don't follow social media, then! He's nice to the local fans and media, but perhaps a jerk in his personal life.....Maybe fame has gone to his head. I do miss Andrew Wheating (he was one of the "local boys" in the last Olympics; didn't make the team this year). For some reason, he knew me (I think he knows someone who knows me) and always made it a point to wave and greet me whenever the 4-minute-mile crowd blew past me on the trail.

I did a six-mile tempo acceleration type run this morning (after a six-mile "warmup") and I think that was the worst run I have done all year in terms of suffering. That kind of workout doesn't work well here. By mile 6 was pretty much just trying not to puke. Just. Too. Hot. I seriously think I am going to lie on the couch in the AC for the rest of the day.

2016-08-20 12:24 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Hot RunnerGuess it's good I don't follow social media, then! He's nice to the local fans and media, but perhaps a jerk in his personal life.....Maybe fame has gone to his head. I do miss Andrew Wheating (he was one of the "local boys" in the last Olympics; didn't make the team this year). For some reason, he knew me (I think he knows someone who knows me) and always made it a point to wave and greet me whenever the 4-minute-mile crowd blew past me on the trail.I did a six-mile tempo acceleration type run this morning (after a six-mile "warmup") and I think that was the worst run I have done all year in terms of suffering. That kind of workout doesn't work well here. By mile 6 was pretty much just trying not to puke. Just. Too. Hot. I seriously think I am going to lie on the couch in the AC for the rest of the day.
Huge Wheating fan as well, tall glass o water for a runner. Even taller than Bolt. Speaking of Oregon runners and Olympics, how do you think Rupp is going to stack up to the international competition? Sounds like you need to do progression runs in the evening, chasing the cooler temps
2016-08-20 5:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What are these cooler temps you speak of?? Evenings are hotter, usually 90's until well after dark. We don't have adequate/dependable street lighting or good footing to run safety then. Traffic is so crazy then I wouldn't have any space on the road to run! Plus pollution and (during rainy season) torrential rain. There is no track. If running doesn't happen before 7-8 AM (started at 6 today), basically, with the exception of shorter runs around our school soccer fields in dry season, it doesn't happen. I don't "do" treadmills. They make me hate running. Guess I could have done the progression run on one, but it would have been a toss-up between that and heat exhaustion on the road. Hate them that much!

Rupp didn't run well in the 10K, but he has been focusing his training on the marathon. I think he has shown with his track career that if it comes to a finishing kick and he is in the mix, he has the speed to run with the international competition (aka the Africans). A lot depends on how the race pans out strategically, I guess. He does definitely have the body build for the marathon. I probably am chunky compared to him!

Did have to go into work for about an hour to take care of something that couldn't be done digitally while lying on the couch in the AC, but otherwise have pretty much achieved that goal. I think if I only had the speed (and youth) I would make a good pro. Perfectly happy just to train, eat, and lie on the couch!

Just realized, if men's marathon is "Sunday", that's Monday morning my time. Grrrrr... Please tell me there is something interesting to watch tomorrow morning, which I guess would be Saturday night in the Americas. Women's tri? Maybe they will show 5 minutes before cutting to judo.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-20 5:06 AM
2016-08-20 7:39 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83

Once again, we posted at the same time

Be interesting seeing what others do to break away from her. That hill in the middle can wreck a lot of people in the process. Then the downhill on the other side isn't easy either. 

Was actually really cool being in the same local race as Gwen back when she had just turned pro. This one has an Elite wave that's a mix of local pros like Blake Becker, Thomas Gerlach, or Jake Rhyner along with IM amateur winners all together. I wasn't in that wave at the time, but did see them come in on the run. Guys like Gerlach came in on the last turn and it's yeah, ok, moving along well guys. Then Gwen comes running by so fast it was literally head snapping "WTF is that??" seeing her go. Fastest run split of the race. Then she walked back out on the course cheering everyone on.

2016-08-20 11:01 AM

User image

Seattle
Haha that was pretty tense in the last mile! Gen clearly had a place she didn't want to break.
2016-08-20 12:28 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Haha that was pretty tense in the last mile! Gen clearly had a place she didn't want to break.
That was great, 40" gap in that time!

2016-08-20 7:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Local boys in 1500 final now! Running together at the front--think they might get their butts kicked!

ETA Doesn't look like Centro is going to learn any humility now--gold medal! He did look extremely stunned. Super-slow tactical race that played into his strengths.....

This is one thing I like about non-draft legal triathlon. You can argue all you want about strategy and team tactics and how that's part of sport, but to me, it seems like a more honest race. There are plenty of HS kids who could have run that time.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-20 7:13 PM
2016-08-21 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like Randee is on the run!  She just passed the 4k split.  Go Randee!

2016-08-21 6:12 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

It looks like Randee is on the run!  She just passed the 4k split.  Go Randee!

Yay! Thanks for the update!
2016-08-21 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Last update has her at 25.5 km of the run.

Watching Rio closing ceremonies now--looks very wet. They actually showed the men's marathon yesterday with only occasional cuts to judo. Rupp must have been right at home in the rain--another medal for Oregon. (I think if Oregon were a country, we would do better than a lot of actual countries in the Games. Then again, so would Phelps, if he were a country.)
2016-08-21 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Randee is more than halfway done with the run. Go Randee!!!

2016-08-21 8:39 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by Hot Runner Last update has her at 25.5 km of the run. Watching Rio closing ceremonies now--looks very wet. They actually showed the men's marathon yesterday with only occasional cuts to judo. Rupp must have been right at home in the rain--another medal for Oregon. (I think if Oregon were a country, we would do better than a lot of actual countries in the Games. Then again, so would Phelps, if he were a country.)

Ha, that's what people in Maryland are saying as well  

2016-08-21 10:45 PM

User image

Congrats, Randee!!
2016-08-22 5:02 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Congrats, Randee!!

Congratulations!  15:43:26 WOO HOO!

2016-08-22 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Nice job!
2016-08-22 8:02 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!

2016-08-22 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

YAY! Way to go! I hear the weather was not ideal ... to say the least, but that's Ironman - great job out there! 

2016-08-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

YAY! Way to go! I hear the weather was not ideal ... to say the least, but that's Ironman - great job out there! 

How fantastic!! Great job!
2016-08-22 1:21 PM

User image

Seattle

I totally disagree that Rupp didn't run well in the 10K. He was in the mix for the whole race even despite getting tripped up with Mo (and then spending half a lap apologizing LOL!) He just couldn't hang on in the bell lap like he could if he were exclusively training for the 10. I'll be he and AlSal talked about how to approach that and killing himself to medal was probably not on the table, given what was coming later in the week. 

I'm excited to watch his marathon career! A bronze is an amazing way to start.

And on a totally separate note, Oromos did an impressively brave thing. Wow. 

2016-08-22 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I totally disagree that Rupp didn't run well in the 10K. He was in the mix for the whole race even despite getting tripped up with Mo (and then spending half a lap apologizing LOL!) He just couldn't hang on in the bell lap like he could if he were exclusively training for the 10. I'll be he and AlSal talked about how to approach that and killing himself to medal was probably not on the table, given what was coming later in the week. 

I'm excited to watch his marathon career! A bronze is an amazing way to start.

And on a totally separate note, Oromos did an impressively brave thing. Wow. 

I was saying the same thing about watching Rupp.

I saw Lilesa make the sign but didn't know what it meant and forgot to look it up until you mentioned it.  That is brave.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.