BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-21 12:03 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

I hope that all the racey racers had good ones and Robin NC, I hope you and family are doing okay.

2016-11-21 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Ben - I'm glad that your first masters practice back went well.  That's great news!

Stacey - Congrats on the race!

Yanti - Thanks for checking in!

Karen - SMOOTHIES!  And the bread machine is a great idea.  Of course, you'd have to be able to get flour...

2016-11-21 7:33 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by brigby1

Got in ~2,000 at masters tonight without any difficulty. Notably slower than I used to be, but still ok considering it's been over 2 years since any type of swimming and going through a major injury. Just short things, but seeing 1:35/100 or faster already. Had some IM work in there and got through it fine. Even butterfly was still fine, at least for one length. Not quite sure the amount of rest I was getting, but don't think the lead guy was used to keeping track of time so much. Things still feel a bit weird, but glad to keep up in a more measured lane instead of having to go to the beginner one.

Something else great is how many people I knew before wanted to catch up. This group really watches for each other.

I'm glad it went so well for you but I must say that you suck being able to swim at that fast after not swimming for 2 years. I have never got even close to that speed.

x2.  How fast are you when you have been swimming lots?  Glad it went well; nice to have a good group of peeps too.

Usually averaged something like 1:12-1:16/100 on 1:25-1:30. Could hit faster on shorter intervals or with longer rest. Don't know that I'll get back to that this time as I'm only planning to do one session (which is ~3 months long) and swim just the 2 times a week. Mostly looking at some more shoulder conditioning for a spell, so what happens happens as far as speed goes. Choice was Masters or to the gym pool and masters is much more fun.

2016-11-21 8:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Ben - I'm glad that your first masters practice back went well.  That's great news!

Stacey - Congrats on the race!

Yanti - Thanks for checking in!

Karen - SMOOTHIES!  And the bread machine is a great idea.  Of course, you'd have to be able to get flour...

I second all the above!

2016-11-21 9:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Got in ~2,000 at masters tonight without any difficulty. Notably slower than I used to be, but still ok considering it's been over 2 years since any type of swimming and going through a major injury. Just short things, but seeing 1:35/100 or faster already. Had some IM work in there and got through it fine. Even butterfly was still fine, at least for one length. Not quite sure the amount of rest I was getting, but don't think the lead guy was used to keeping track of time so much. Things still feel a bit weird, but glad to keep up in a more measured lane instead of having to go to the beginner one.

Something else great is how many people I knew before wanted to catch up. This group really watches for each other.

I'm glad it went so well for you but I must say that you suck being able to swim at that fast after not swimming for 2 years. I have never got even close to that speed.

x2.  How fast are you when you have been swimming lots?  Glad it went well; nice to have a good group of peeps too.

Usually averaged something like 1:12-1:16/100 on 1:25-1:30. Could hit faster on shorter intervals or with longer rest. Don't know that I'll get back to that this time as I'm only planning to do one session (which is ~3 months long) and swim just the 2 times a week. Mostly looking at some more shoulder conditioning for a spell, so what happens happens as far as speed goes. Choice was Masters or to the gym pool and masters is much more fun.

Wow, you were and are fast!

2016-11-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Masters is definitely more fun than swimming solo.

2016-11-22 6:18 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yards or meters? In any case, that is impressive after a long layoff! I don't think I have seen 1:12-1:16 for 100m since high school (and that sounds close to 200m race pace). Would have been close to race pace for 500 yards and 1650, respectively. I think if I took several months off now, I would be looking at close to 2:00 per 100m! 100m repeats on 1:35 with 15 seconds rest or so would be typical for me now when I am in decent swim shape.

I wish we had master's here. My training situation here is such that at least 90% of the time, I'm not only the only one in the lane; I'm the only one in the pool! Me, myself, and the pace clock. I try to beat the pool closing time, and thunderstorms, to get my workout done. Might be able to join my group in Oregon for a few sessions at Christmas break--that will be a welcome change.
2016-11-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

I don't understand how people swim consistently around 1:15/100. I feel like I'm a slightly above average athlete with decent technique (a few private lessons seem to confirm this) but holding 1:30's is a real stretch for me. I'm spending more of my downtime watching swim video's so hopefully between improving my technique and more time in the pool I'll be able to get there.

In other news, thanks to a Manatee's recommendation (thanks, I think ), I watched "Run to Me" on the trainer this morning. I almost fell off my bike laughing a few times. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing because the non-triathlete watching this movie would probably have no idea how ridiculous some scenes are but if you have a good 1.5 hrs to kill, I have to say I recommend it.
2016-11-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by TXTriRookI don't understand how people swim consistently around 1:15/100. I feel like I'm a slightly above average athlete with decent technique (a few private lessons seem to confirm this) but holding 1:30's is a real stretch for me. I'm spending more of my downtime watching swim video's so hopefully between improving my technique and more time in the pool I'll be able to get there. In other news, thanks to a Manatee's recommendation (thanks, I think ), I watched "Run to Me" on the trainer this morning. I almost fell off my bike laughing a few times. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing because the non-triathlete watching this movie would probably have no idea how ridiculous some scenes are but if you have a good 1.5 hrs to kill, I have to say I recommend it.
Technique!
2016-11-22 10:52 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Robin, I hope you and your family are hanging in there!
2016-11-22 11:05 AM

User image

Seattle
I has a great end to the official cross country season, dropping about 40 seconds of of my time from two weeks ago (6k distance)I'm going to keep base mileage and a track workout with a few shorter races sprinkled in but my focus will be shifting a bit. Still moving quickly in the mountains but now a snow covered version. I've got a few mountain races I'm considerin and a summit bid of Rainier in the fall. Still not sure about a longer race. I may not even do one but we'll see. Thinking of a few run ventures instead including a rim2rim2rim.

2016-11-22 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook I don't understand how people swim consistently around 1:15/100. I feel like I'm a slightly above average athlete with decent technique (a few private lessons seem to confirm this) but holding 1:30's is a real stretch for me. I'm spending more of my downtime watching swim video's so hopefully between improving my technique and more time in the pool I'll be able to get there. In other news, thanks to a Manatee's recommendation (thanks, I think ), I watched "Run to Me" on the trainer this morning. I almost fell off my bike laughing a few times. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing because the non-triathlete watching this movie would probably have no idea how ridiculous some scenes are but if you have a good 1.5 hrs to kill, I have to say I recommend it.

i tries

d to watch, but i just couldn't stick with it!!

2016-11-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by TXTriRook I don't understand how people swim consistently around 1:15/100. I feel like I'm a slightly above average athlete with decent technique (a few private lessons seem to confirm this) but holding 1:30's is a real stretch for me. I'm spending more of my downtime watching swim video's so hopefully between improving my technique and more time in the pool I'll be able to get there. In other news, thanks to a Manatee's recommendation (thanks, I think ), I watched "Run to Me" on the trainer this morning. I almost fell off my bike laughing a few times. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing because the non-triathlete watching this movie would probably have no idea how ridiculous some scenes are but if you have a good 1.5 hrs to kill, I have to say I recommend it.

i tries

Don't you want to see her win her AG at Kona?? Jk....I promise this is far from a spoiler.
2016-11-22 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by amd723

i tries

Don't you want to see her win her AG at Kona?? Jk....I promise this is far from a spoiler.

haha, it was almost in the "it's so bad it's good" category, but it just didn't quite make it!

2016-11-22 2:05 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yards or meters? In any case, that is impressive after a long layoff! I don't think I have seen 1:12-1:16 for 100m since high school (and that sounds close to 200m race pace). Would have been close to race pace for 500 yards and 1650, respectively. I think if I took several months off now, I would be looking at close to 2:00 per 100m! 100m repeats on 1:35 with 15 seconds rest or so would be typical for me now when I am in decent swim shape. I wish we had master's here. My training situation here is such that at least 90% of the time, I'm not only the only one in the lane; I'm the only one in the pool! Me, myself, and the pace clock. I try to beat the pool closing time, and thunderstorms, to get my workout done. Might be able to join my group in Oregon for a few sessions at Christmas break--that will be a welcome change.

That was in scy. For some reason I've been terrible in scm. Never made what the conversions, always a ways behind it. The one pool can convert between the two.

An empty pool with a pace clock sounds great next to gym pool with lots of floaters and walkers in it! Hardly anyone trying to swim had any idea what they were doing. I was pretty fast there even at ~2:00/100.

2016-11-22 2:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by TXTriRookI don't understand how people swim consistently around 1:15/100. I feel like I'm a slightly above average athlete with decent technique (a few private lessons seem to confirm this) but holding 1:30's is a real stretch for me. I'm spending more of my downtime watching swim video's so hopefully between improving my technique and more time in the pool I'll be able to get there. In other news, thanks to a Manatee's recommendation (thanks, I think ), I watched "Run to Me" on the trainer this morning. I almost fell off my bike laughing a few times. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing because the non-triathlete watching this movie would probably have no idea how ridiculous some scenes are but if you have a good 1.5 hrs to kill, I have to say I recommend it.
Technique!

It gets said a lot, but is still very true. Scott just posted some more in this thread that's worth reading. There are development aspect still present from the swimming before. Even in the injured arm. Some of the best development came from trying to swim fast. Figure out what to do and then keep trying to do that. Advances the range of motion and the power throughout it to keep swimming with it. Watching videos of others can seem nice, but think it's rather limited. Kind of extending on Scott's point in the thread. Absolutely have to figure out what's appropriate for YOU to do. At masters, I was constantly swimming around people as good or better. Also had the coaches. While they're not always on deck (head coach swims with us) they are very willing to help out at times with what I'm doing or need to do. Not an occasional spot check, but every practice.

2016-11-22 4:16 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Movie: Okay, so the first description of the movie was supposed to be "one of the worst movies". The adjective was missing! I can recall a lot of bad movies about running. And there was one movie (a spy movie set in Beijing) that was a cult favorite with the expat crowd. The good guy is trying to escape the bad guys by jumping between roofs of adjacent buildings, only some of the "adjacent" buildings in real life (an embassy, a hotel, etc.) are over a kilometer apart. I can imagine how wrong a non-triathlete would get the sport.....

For starters, I'm guess maybe 80-90% of people who want to go to Kona rarely see their coach, if they even have one. My understanding is that unless you happen to live where there's an active club (and even then, it seems like if you were training for IM at that level, you would probably be following an individual plan), coaching is mostly online these days. Kind of limits the chances for a psycho encounter. I have never met my coach in person, or even on Skype. I do suspect she is nuts in the way that most of us are nuts, but not psycho. (Might change my mind, though, after another strength session.)

Swimming: I suspect my swim stroke needs some work as well. I am very good at holding a steady pace for a long time and not slowing down (maybe 1:43-1:45/100m). I can keep that up for full IM distance, which makes me FOP in my AG in most events and MOP at Worlds. But I'm not good at speeding up. 1:35 already feels like "tempo" effort, 1:30 is really, really hard. When I speed up, I'm taking a lot more strokes. I have never been a good sprinter, even in HS. Not sure if it's just the way my body is, or something technique-wise. I'm hoping to do a video analysis when I go to a training camp in Thailand at Tet. The disadvantage of training solo--you never have a second pair of eyes to give you feedback.
2016-11-23 4:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh Lord - Kill me now.

for the 4th time this year I am listening to the Board of Directors discuss the wording of the company's Vision and Mission statement
2016-11-23 6:32 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe you could stream the movie??

I broke down and went to Smoothie Factory after work and had the Peanut Butter Powerhouse. Nom nom nom..... Not so much that I needed to "recover" from a particularly hard workout, but just the day in general. I had been going full tilt from 4:35 AM until 5:30 PM and was just worn out. The usual trainteachcoach combo, with only a few minutes break during the day. (The worst combo is trainteachcoachtrain.) No separation of words because there is no separation. I train, shower, eat (while walking to work) and straight to work. Straight from classroom to coaching. Straight into pool or weight room after. Such is my life. The workout is actually often the easiest part of my day!

Need to go home and get new shoes. My training shoes shrunk during raining season and are killing my toes. So I have been doing 80-90% of my running in my racing flats, which is a bit hard on the rest of the body.
2016-11-23 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh Lord - Kill me now. for the 4th time this year I am listening to the Board of Directors discuss the wording of the company's Vision and Mission statement

Just when I started to feel a bit sorry for myself, I read this. That must be beyond mind numbing!

2016-11-23 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh Lord - Kill me now. for the 4th time this year I am listening to the Board of Directors discuss the wording of the company's Vision and Mission statement

Oh Stacey, I feel for you. As a member of our Church Council, I am ready to dig out my eyes with a spoon for the same reason. We have had a six month long discussion about this same type of thing. I just keep counting down (3 months to go!) I can't begin to imagine the pain of watching this sort of thing from the employee point of view. UGH!!!

2016-11-23 6:49 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Howdy all. We are getting back to normal(ish) around here. We are home after the evacuation and trying to get the smoke smell out of the house and gathering are belongings back. One storage shed cleared out, the other mostly cleared. (we had to have two because they closed the roads and our friends who came to help took our belongings to their homes... on either side of the fire. To go to our nearest town (16 miles away) turned into a 55 mile trip. We were allowed to open up for business this weekend so we are hoping to recover a bit of the financial loss from the fires. Jim had his rotator cuff surgery yesterday and that went really, really well. He chose to get it done while our deductible was met. So.. onward with cleaning and getting life back in order. and maybe even doing some real training. Though it has been hard with all the smoke. It has been heavy even in my gym near Asheville. There are so. many. fires!

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

2016-11-23 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Just when I started to feel a bit sorry for myself, I read this. That must be beyond mind numbing!

Robin, how are you guys doing at home?

2016-11-23 12:37 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by ceilidh

Robin, how are you guys doing at home?

We are doing okay. Jim is lolling about on pain meds from his surgery and I am getting the house back in order.

2016-11-23 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 26-27
Tom - Give 'N Gobble 5k on Thursday
Janyne - Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k on Thursday
Monica - Ironman Cozumel on Sunday

Happy Thanksgiving to all of the 'merican Manatees!

Is anyone else racing?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.