General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kick Sets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-04 10:39 AM

User image

Subject: Kick Sets
I'm wondering if you keep your head up/out of the water or down like it would be when swimming freestyle when you do your kick sets? I have the Finis Alignment Kickboard which sinks quite easily but keeping my head in the water and coming up for 1-2 breaths / 25 is exhausting!

2016-08-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Kick Sets
Originally posted by TXTriRook

I'm wondering if you keep your head up/out of the water or down like it would be when swimming freestyle when you do your kick sets? I have the Finis Alignment Kickboard which sinks quite easily but keeping my head in the water and coming up for 1-2 breaths / 25 is exhausting!

I don't use kickboards, although if you'r egoign to, one that sinks is far better for your shoulders, unless you want to really put a kickboard under your chest as well to take stress off thes houlders and then you can have your head up and breath. This only works for folks with flexible hips and ankles however (like kids & teenagers).

If you're doing kcik sets becuase you have trouble with your kick, using a kickboard traditionally makes it even harder to move forward.

For all of those reasons plus the one you mentioned, I personally do kick sets on my back or with one arm extended and body slightly rotated so that to breath, I roll my head. THis helps imprint good freestyle positioning while wiring on thke kick as well.

Try holding your alignment board in one hand, the other arm back along your thigh and rolling to breath instead of lifting.
2016-08-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

I've never done more than a few 50's of kick sets but every workout I find online seems to have a kick set normally as part of the warmup. I'll try the one hand out approach. Thanks for the recommendation!
2016-08-04 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Over the past few months I've been getting away from using a kick board altogether.  

I wear a Finis swimmer's snorkel and kick in a streamline position.  I like how it lets me keep my head in better alignment and not have to worry about breathing (plus, you can go WAY faster).  

My neck and back always get sore if I kick too much with my head up using a board.  Think it is probably made worse because my C6 & C7 vertebrae are fused which slightly limits the flexibility in my neck.  

Mark

2016-08-04 4:14 PM
in reply to: #5194065

User image

This post came at the right time for me, I was just thinking yesterday how much I hate kick boards. I will defanitely have to try to the one arm out kicking method.

Do you switch arms at all?
2016-08-04 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5194115

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Yes alternate arms by 25s so you can hone in on streamlining on each side while rolling for air . You can progress this by switching arms halfway, then switching after 6-10 kicks as well

2016-08-05 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Yes alternate arms by 25s so you can hone in on streamlining on each side while rolling for air . You can progress this by switching arms halfway, then switching after 6-10 kicks as well

Oh man, switch kick drill....you know if you hate it, you must need to work on it.
2016-08-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

I tried the 1 arm extended, 1 arm on leg kick drill this morning. My legs were on fire! Definitely a great drill that I'll be incorporating into my workouts.
2016-08-05 11:25 AM

Does anyone use fins just for kick sets? I actually don't like fins, so no worries about becoming addicted to them, but I have heard they are good for increasing strength and ankle flexibility, while keeping you "above water" if you aren't using a board. Any thoughts out there?
2016-08-05 11:50 AM

User image

Head up unless you are trying to work on your breathing.

2016-08-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Originally posted by Burchib Does anyone use fins just for kick sets? I actually don't like fins, so no worries about becoming addicted to them, but I have heard they are good for increasing strength and ankle flexibility, while keeping you "above water" if you aren't using a board. Any thoughts out there?

Sometimes.  I'll alternate between 100 kick w board / 100 dolphin kick on my back no board. 

2016-08-05 5:54 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Burchib

Does anyone use fins just for kick sets? I actually don't like fins, so no worries about becoming addicted to them, but I have heard they are good for increasing strength and ankle flexibility, while keeping you "above water" if you aren't using a board. Any thoughts out there?

Again personally I don't use them at all, or rarely (1x a year) I'll put on some zoomers or fins just for fun. I don't use them becuase they put added stress on my ankles that have taken a ton of abuse from years of soccer.

They can be helpful to learn how to move your legs better in the water and coordinate the movement of hips/knees and ankles because they magnify things. There are plusses and minuses to this however.

Even a bad kick is made faster with fins...but if hte fins don't help to start correcting poor mechanics than it's just wasted time.

because fins add surface area they take more power to operate from all the muscles involved. This again can be good or it can be bad, depending on the person using them.

Even in navy seal pre-training, they advice young men to start with very small fins and progress gradually to bigger fins. the bigger the fin the more muscle it takes to use.

For all of these reasons the smaller fins I think are the way to go if you are going to use them, like finis zoomers for example. they have a fin that's just 1-2" long.

in lessons i"ll use fins sparingly depending on what's going on with the swimmer. If we are using the skating / one-arm extended drill to work on rolling to breath and they can't kick at all, then i'll use fins so they feel what it's like to roll to breath with a tin y bit of speed. Then i'll take them off and go right back to regular swimming so they can incorporate that roll.

Lots of other ways to use them, but in gneeral using fins just to do kick sets is not real valuable IMO unless you have a specific thing you're working on to correct...and not unless the fins are actually helping to address that.

A generalized drill prescription to kick with fins on is poor advice.
2016-08-08 7:40 AM

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Again personally I don't use them at all, or rarely (1x a year) I'll put on some zoomers or fins just for fun. I don't use them becuase they put added stress on my ankles that have taken a ton of abuse from years of soccer.

They can be helpful to learn how to move your legs better in the water and coordinate the movement of hips/knees and ankles because they magnify things. There are plusses and minuses to this however.

Even a bad kick is made faster with fins...but if hte fins don't help to start correcting poor mechanics than it's just wasted time.

because fins add surface area they take more power to operate from all the muscles involved. This again can be good or it can be bad, depending on the person using them.

Even in navy seal pre-training, they advice young men to start with very small fins and progress gradually to bigger fins. the bigger the fin the more muscle it takes to use.

For all of these reasons the smaller fins I think are the way to go if you are going to use them, like finis zoomers for example. they have a fin that's just 1-2" long.

in lessons i"ll use fins sparingly depending on what's going on with the swimmer. If we are using the skating / one-arm extended drill to work on rolling to breath and they can't kick at all, then i'll use fins so they feel what it's like to roll to breath with a tin y bit of speed. Then i'll take them off and go right back to regular swimming so they can incorporate that roll.

Lots of other ways to use them, but in gneeral using fins just to do kick sets is not real valuable IMO unless you have a specific thing you're working on to correct...and not unless the fins are actually helping to address that.

A generalized drill prescription to kick with fins on is poor advice.

Thank you so much! Great advice!
2016-08-09 1:16 PM

100% of the time. There is absolutely no reason not to.

-Mark
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kick Sets Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kick sets

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 749 Posts: 4

2013-03-14 2:55 PM bgeyeguy

Swimming - Kick Sets with fins

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1593 Posts: 23

2012-02-08 11:17 PM sand101

Talk to me about kick sets...

Started by gvey
Views: 813 Posts: 12

2010-01-15 10:03 AM mfilan

Question about Kick Sets

Started by Rfish
Views: 1056 Posts: 9

2008-06-07 11:17 AM nevergivin

Swimming Kick sets ?

Started by 1111
Views: 1207 Posts: 7

2008-02-22 3:46 PM Aikidoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
A strong kick matched with the opposing hand's entry can give your swim a boost

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Video of the six/three kick swim drill

date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : June 17, 2008
It seems that if I swim that slow I begin to sink and I have to either kick or pull harder to compensate while my heart-rate starts going up. I find myself kicking too hard trying to keep afloat.

date : April 5, 2008
comments : 1
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.